Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 5) Greystones Golf Club (17th June 1330 hrs -1500 hrs)(GOLF AND SOCIAL)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

On the road home now. Stopping for breakfast. Great event all-round will gather my thoughts and post later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The first iteration of the Boards Social was a great success, so great job on innovating Captain Fix.

Had only played the front 9 in Greystones before, during the winter with Seve, so I knew that it was going to be a thinkers round and that the course isn't one you can overpower, or really need to.

Was running a little late getting to the course, so only had time to hit maybe 10-12 putts before going out, and then onto the first tee.

Have been playing steady golf recently, so didnt go out with crazy expectations, but figured I could put a solid round together as it's not overly long and I'd be hitting plenty of shortish irons into par 4s.

Had the company of Alanm and Big Easy for the round, so knew the company would be super and the standard of golf would be great.

The course was set up to maximise its length with every pin tucked in the back corners of greens. It probably made some of the approaches a little easier as it took some of the front trouble out of play on a number of the greens.

Usually I can remember my rounds in great detail, but I played in one of those kind of blur zones where everything just flowed by. I knew I was playing solid, and was up on where I should be on the front 9, started with 3 bogeys, including a poor 3-putt bogey on the index 1, but then had 5 pars on the bounce and a birdie on the 9th to finish the front 9 2 over gross.

Back 9 continued steadily, made some great up & downs, and took my medicine where I needed to. Another bad 3-putt on 17, where the lads rightly said, I'd gone a bit defensive, gave me the only double of the day, but had a stroke so picked up a point.

18 points back and 6 over for the round with no scratches. Logged the round too, so, alongside picking up the win, also now down to my lowest ever index at 7.1.

Great prizes too, thanks Fix.

@Kevinmarkham , great to meet you and have a quick chat, hooked was a great guide for me in my year as Captain, so nice to now have a signed copy. The photography was also spectacular, some beautiful pieces (love that 14th at Glasson image), and added a beautiful pic of Carne to my collection, thanks!

Alarm didn't have his best day, which from him is still great golf, by anyone else's standard. His short game is superb, making a super, unorthodox par on the first fairway finder hole. Drive into the heavy stuff, hack out, approach through the green, and then hole out the chip from the back. His strike is getting better and better, hit some really crisp irons in to a number of holes, but the putter just wasn't hot enough for him so the birdie chances wouldn't drop.

Big Easy has all the elements to drop significantly, distance off the tee and hits his irons really high. Had a great read on line on his putts, just the pace hurt him a couple of times. Had a handful of loose tee shots, and unfortunely got badly punished whenever he hit one. He did comfortably have the shot of the day on the second fairway finder. Pulled his tee shot into the rough. Hitting blind to a back left pin, over the top of the hill and the tree, landed his approach just short of the pin and let a 6ft putt for bird which he despatched for a class 4 point birdie.

A great night afterwards too. Started with beating Fix in the putting comp final, and then on into Greystones for some pints and craic, and a tasty batter sausage and chips after!

Think the biggest revelation of the night is that Seve's Dad is a lot sounder than Seve is 😁

Should get a nice bump up the leaderboard from the win, and put me in the jug team.

Cheers lads, see ye all soon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Will post again - but amazing day.

As I met Bobster he told me that I have too many plates spinning at the one time ...... and that perception and advice on letting a few fall, couldn't have been more spot on............

I still wouldn't change it all.

The highlight for me was the putting competition in the walled garden after - the atmosphere , the weather , that perfect Irish Summer night. The banter and echo from the ancient walls.

Really enjoyed the chat with Kevin.

I was probably thinking about too many other things before - to score well - but in general my game is improving a small bit all the time.

The Fairway Finder event was interesting, It actually messed up my normally solid tee shot game - was way too focused on it. Did well to get to 3 in the end - 1 off the 4 that was the winner.

Thanks to everyone who participated and in particular the number of people who bought into the social side, in the club or into the night.

Greystones is a real golf club - social , community based, friendly. They really made us feel at home - for what is the ultimate homeless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another highlight from Big Easy, on the 7th hole his approach hit the top of the rocky outcrop, and stayed on top of it.

He found the ball and hit a nice chip down off the top. Think Alanm might have gotten the phone out in time to capture the action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I was down at the club around lunchtime today - and I can tell you there were a fair few members unhappy with the pin positions you guys faced yesterday.

Good to meet you guys - and glad you liked our course. Not often I leave a golf club at 10pm while there's a putting competition going on and a drone filming it. Slightly surreal.

And thanks for all the compliments on the photographs. Much appreciated. Thanks for the invitation, Fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Evening golfers, finally back in cider town after an a great day and night of golf and social. It was my first outing on a night out and what a laugh, and night out. Getting to know this bunch an awful lot more and it feels like I have been a member for more than 3 years. The pints were mighty at both the golf course and at Mrs. Robinson's, here's to you. I heard before about a certain putting competition that ran in a hotel corridor at 4 am, I thought it was an urban legend, but nope the comp ran under the lights in the walled amphitheatre, I am sorry I didn't partake, but it's a deffo to do on the next event. Hope the revellers that ventured to Bray saw out the rest of the night and done so safely. I must say a massive thank you to @LinoRichie who offered the other bed in the b&b, perfect location and so handy. I must also thank the chef for the extra onions when I asked for none 🤦🤦. Now on to the golf, oooooooooh oh my Buddha. I had the pleasure of playing again with linorichie and it was my first time playing with @gypsy79. I think our scorecards looked more like bingo cards with so many X's, so many 1 pointers, I was waiting to shout check!!!!! On number 9, and that was how many points I had on the front 9. A total of 24 points after my 18. Poor gypsy needed a boost after 9 holes, it did some trick as you had a great back 9 and you are getting more used to your new clubs, watch out on the next outings 🙂. The putter again for me was my big let down, a lot of issues with my lag putting and yes the pin positions were difficult also, but it was one of those should have, would have, could have rounds. The fairway finder was a great concept, I was happy to find 2 🤣🤣🤣, talk about margins, captain met us on the first fairway finder hole and told us the difference between first cut and fairway, to me there must have been a gee-hair in the difference. I should also have given myself some time before tee off, to have a few swings, chips, and putts, my game has taken a wobble. Back to the range. Congrats to Spacecoyote on his win, he put manners on the course, the course put manners on me and a few others. A lovely venue and huge kudos also to Seve for recommending this and his work involved in getting this outing ready. Thanks also to captain Fix for the shirt, love it. A great event and great craic was had, I'm unfortunately missing Dundrum as I will be on a stag, no not my own 🤣🤣🤣, and will not have to make a phonecall to ask permission, but will hopefully see you all at Tullamore. Horsebox signing off 😋 

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Will keep this short and sweet as I had a score not to remember yesterday ( my worst score since we played an open in Strandhill the day before my Captains prize in 2018). I read somewhere before a golfer saying he never knew on any given day whether he would have his A swing , B swing or C swing ………. We’ll I had my Z swing yesterday and just couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong!! The only driver I got off the tee some way decent was the last fairway finder hole and it drew left behind a big tree🤦🏻‍♂️😂I tried my best to keep calm through the round as I didn’t want to pass my frustration onto Charlie or Rally23 so thanks lads for keeping me going.

Although I had a bad day score wise , ironically I really liked the course and especially the front 9 needed to be plotted around and get you thinking about your line and landing spots. I will definetly be back now knowing where to hit and it’s a great area where we stayed with a very friendly vibe.

The social night was excellent aswell afterwards , always good to catch up on other rounds and not be rushing away afterwards. Thanks for honouring the free drink for 0/6 fairways found aswell Captain 👍😂

Unfortunately I will miss the next outing which is 25 minutes away from me !! Disaster ….. But it’s well worth the visit to Dundrum as they are puttting a lot of money into it lately and it’s in great condition.

Thanks again Captain and Seve for organising the event.

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Is this allowed here?

I think that one is OK...we don't generally post identifiable photos without permission.....

Stunning putting green...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

well where to begin with the round in Greystones on Friday. I suppose first a thank you to all involved with getting us down there. I'd heard people talk about it being a really nice, tough course, and they weren't mistaken. Coming into the round i was hoping to use a bit of my experience in playing tight narrow courses (like Beaverstown my home course). But this was a very different challenge and i was not ready for it all. I think all the hiking around the Front 9 took it out of me and the stamina was just gone for the day.

At least the course was great because the golf was most certainly not. I won't go into too much detail because no one really needs my tale of misery on a Sunday 😪 The only good thing to come from the golf was the Fairway Finder challenge. Somehow i managed to go 3 for 3 on the front 9 (albeit very lucky). Hit drive up the left on the 4th which clipped the trees and kicked out to middle of the fairway. on the 6th i decided to try take the shot over the gorse on the left, but hit a dreadful shot straight into the rock face on the left side. But somehow the rocks kicked the ball out right onto the fairway 😂 hit the 9th fairway legitimately so was happy enough. starting the back 9 with 10 points under my belt i was seriously considering just taking 8 irons from every tee for the fairway finder, and scrap whatever scoring i might get. but my integrity got the better of me as i thought of the potential for GOY points and making the Jug team. Well the back 9 came and went with 13 points and not a single fairway hit 🤣 should have just taken the 8 iron

A big shout out to Kieran and Pakman for making the round a lot more enjoyable. As Pakman said on the way around "good playing partners can make a 5 hour round feel like a 3 hour round" and that was certainly the situation. Always easier to enjoy a round of poor golf when you're having a good laugh on the way around. Kieran has a lovely ball flight and great consistency with his scoring (think it was 9 one-pointers in a row yesterday 😂). Pakman hit some absolutely gorgeous shots, including an absolutely monster drive on one of the holes (can't remember which one but it must have been close to 300yds uphill). 2 great guys and really enjoyed the round with them.

Again a big thanks to Fix and the team for all the organising going into the whole day. Looks like things only kicked on after I left - from the late night putting comp, and i can only imagine how the pints down in Greystones went. Onwards and upwards to Dundrum, still hoping to rack up a few more good performances to stay in the top 10 come end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Great day and night with everyone on Friday.

A big thanks to Fix and the committee for all their efforts in making the day so enjoyable.

Felt I had a chance in the dusk time putting contest, but unfortunately had to run, don't know how Space took home that one as well, he'd been knocked out at least twice before I left!

Had the pleasure of watching Space plot his way around for the winning score. Incredibly solid ballstriking and was a joy to watch, makes the game look simple and it's been nice to see his game improve through the years with the society.

Always a pleasure to play with AlanM as well, another class ballstriker with a great short game.

I was level with Space through 8 with 17 points, but knocked 3 shots down on 9 to scratch it, then after my best drive of the day scratched 10 and my race was run. Had a couple of nice highlights especially the bird on 6 from one of the best 9 irons I've ever hit.

Long game is coming together nicely, played this morning in Bray and hit the ball as well as I have, but short game was shocking, much like Friday. Have to put the time into it to see some results, will be posting some good scores when it does click again though.

I was close to being very frustrated with my game both on Friday and this morning. The chats and craic afterwards were a great antidote to taking it all too seriously though and hopefully I can make the trip to Tipp and if not definitely Tullamore, one of the finest parklands in Ireland.

Special thanks to Seve and his father for being fine hosts in a fine club. Not sure we'll be allowed back after the putting green shenanigans however!

Post edited by The Big Easy on

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Jesus Snackbox , you could as least shaded in my bald patch😏

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Thanks all for coming along on Friday, it was a pleasure to have you at my home course. Glad you enjoyed it and the social event went down so well. Unfortunately my local knowledge was no good to me with my game not in a great place and carrying a sore back. Ironically I wasn’t that far off placing although you wouldn’t know that from looking at my card. A dose of the tips on the day and a grand total of 7 putts missed from within about 2 foot ultimately cost me a lot of jug points.

without further ado, the results

Post edited by slave1 on

Putting contest in full flow at about 10pm on Friday night

Thanks Seve, for posting the results and doing the work on the cards again.

Also appreciate posting the FF hits in results - well done benny on a great win there. It was a nice novelty , a once off. I didn't think anyone would hit 6 - but lots hit what you would kinda expect 3 out of 6 (50%). Not everyone who hit 3 got a prize - sorry about that. I did get a bit terrified when I seen the first cut on the 2nd - as initially it didn't look that clear what the fairway was - but was obvious enough after a while. Probably a testiment to the condition and detail of the course to have such a perfect first cut.

Didn't think there would be so many zero hits, and them in the pub after (not sure if a link) - and I did honor the drink thing.

I personally felt the holes on the front were too hard to hit - but that is perhaps because I didn't hit them - did well on the back nine.

I do like unusual holes with elevation changes - but maybe they just came a bit early in the round for me. Got stuck between a lay up and a fairway hit shot - was a mess. Besides this , my general upward trend and parkland challenge is improving.

I like the course - great variety of holes and shapes - layout is unusual , but as we were talking about it in the group , original golf courses were in the towns as you didn't have transport and it was all by foot. I travelled to the event by train and I found that experience , nearly the highlight of the day. The views across Killiney are unreal. Thanks Seve for the pick up from Dart - nothing like someone waiting for you after a train journey.

I was actually out early this time - played with 2 visitors - two close friends of mine for a good 25 years. It was a nice change of scene - and it took me a good 6 holes to a) calm down - and b) explain to them what the society was - and that yes, we are all from the internet. They had a great day - but for a while I got a sense they felt I was having a mid life crisis with this internet thing 😂 - in the end , they got to meet a few in the clubhouse and it was clear - ok, they are just golf nuts.

Being a Friday - it was always going to be a challenge to get a good turnout - but with a few visitors we still had a reasonable number. We also invited along a few reps - our Ryder Jug rivals - and whilst they were trying to wind us up, calling us internet odd balls. It couldn't have done our Ryder Jug hopes more good - as I love a rival, a target , bit of a sounder Roy Keane in me 😂

There was great fun after between the photo exhibition and the putting contest. Greystones had a real cool vibe. Nice people , but not pretentious. People were so friendly at the club and the pub.

Was lovely to have my friends father for the golf and Seve's father on the night out. He had great stories about the club and a life of golf. He was great at the banter and for a lift. I had a good chat with him about his relationship with the game - and it was wonderful for me to hear - that the love for the game can go on and on - I often wonder will the joy and excitement ever leave me. Will the sense of peace at a golf scene , or photo, or golf experience ever go. It was a delight to hear it can stay.

I know it was supposed to be a golf outing at the end of the day. But for me, it was about everything else. I've noticed that post covid - life is a bit strange. You have not got a point of reference - you have little shared experience - you have no real stories - as your life was on freeze. I find social interaction can be slow , hesitant - uncertain. I'm hoping we can make days like Friday - and make the stories again.

After the golf I spoke to Kevin about his pictures - what time of day he takes them , the light , the clouds , the sea. I'm all about a sea view - a golf course and a sea view and it is the most important place on earth for me.

As the sun set on the putting green - there was a perfect calmness on the night - a walled garden putting green (genius) - the sound - the first time in short sleeved shirts in a long time. That old excitement of being in a new town in Ireland , with a rare night out ahead. It was perfect, till a rep tried to kill me with a drone . But I never let the truth get in the way of a good story or rivalry.

Was an amazing day - thanks to everyone who played a part, and that is everyone - even the Reps.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Well done on what seems to of been a great day and evening out.

Sorry to not of been able to be there but life gets in the way Monday to Friday and it wasn't an option for me.

Great photos and liked the idea of the evening putting comp, when the pints start flowing and banter gets louder I am sure it was great craic.

Will be making an effort to make the final 3 outing....any word on captains prize location yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rainbow Warrior

I hate having to use a buggy to go round a golf course but due knee issues over the past few months I have no choice. I find it kind of anti social as one of the pleasures of playing golf is to walk and talk with your playing partners. However, on this occasion I had the pleasure of sharing with Bakerbhoy (John) which made it a lot easier (John please PM me your number so I can Revolut you the money for the buggy). We were first out with Seve, who was left alone at times to curse at a wayward shot :-) and I must say I so enjoyed the day, the course and needless to say the company. Some very challenging holes due to the pin placements. Loved the idea of the fairway finder as I would not have a chance in hell of winning the longest drive!

It was a great idea to have a Friday meet and a social afterwards and I wish I could have stayed for the evening fun.

Thanks again to Fix, Seve and committee for all the hard work you put in to organising the day.

Hope to see you in Tipp.

JW

Probably worst kept secret in Greystones - but I'll announce Captains day, at end of next outing. We had to book this a long time in advance - and was tricky to judge numbers (and spots were limited as was). We should be fine as typically a similar number of people are available for outings outside Dublin early 30s in numbers.

If it comes to it, invites will be based on number of outings / points - but again , will be down to mid 40s of the table - so can't see that big an issues.

I've accommodation booked - and will be a night out after - I booked places as was told if you don't have places booked - you simply will not get them / it will cost you a fortune (as we are all seeing at the moment).

It is a marquee Irish open course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liam1895

Liam here, Operations Manager of GGC.

On behalf of the club thank you for choosing Greystones for your event. The thread is a great read and I'm happy to see you enjoyed yourselves. You're all very welcome back anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Great craic from start to finish and one of my fav outings yet. Though I'd be curious to know what the greens look like with a flag in the middle 🤣

I played poorly overall and never got the speed of the greens. I pitched a few inches short of the cup on 14 and hit the flag. The spin on the ball rolled it back a little bit though so it was more then a tap-in in the end, which hid how close I had come to making ace. Thankfully I made the putt.

Thanks to playing partners burger27 and slave1. Slave1 played well, finishing with 32 pts, and a few errors due to lack of course knowledge. There could have been a win in it for him. The less said about burger27's round the better 😏, but the company was great as always. And the clubhouse, craic, putting comp, and jaunt out to mrs robinsons afterwards was great.

As may have been mentioned earlier, Greystones feels like more than just a good course. It's a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

Better late than never. Greystones is a course I'd never really heard of and a part of the country I was never in. I can see why people love it there, it has a bit of everything.

I really loved the place. It was in excellent condition. It's a bit short but I love short courses, especially when my driver is misbehaving and I can leave it in the bag.

I'd the pleasure of playing with break80 and bobster. Both started well but faded a bit in the end whereas I was the opposite.

I think the concept of playing courses on Friday that you can't play on a Saturday worked and I look forward to doing it again in the future. 

Thanks to all the lads for organising the day, I really enjoyed it 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Just putting pen to paper now so to speak.

Greystones shot to the top of my favourite courses list.

The variety of holes was brilliant.Each one a new adventure.Love the greens.

Clubhouse..practice area..atmosphere..the people.All contributed to a fantastic day.

Well done all involved.

Fairway finder added a new angle.Some laugh.

Played ok front 9 fell back on back 9 due to slight loss of rhythm on drives.

Really enjoyed the company of break80 and doublecross.

Great day great course great company grear society.

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

What a view!!!

Liam from Greystones can't win a polo can he?!

Great outing and nice to read through all the posts as usual.

So Stinger Golf post of the outing goes to our gracious host Seve OB for his class drone pictures overlooking the beautiful Greystones course and some late-night revelling.

Congratulations @Seve OB , your post round epics didn't quite get it done, but sometimes a picture paints a thousand words!

Excellent, thanks a million for the shout out Easy.

Unfortunately my game is not in a great place at the moment and whilst I really should have been in the hunt for the prizes at my home course, the stinger shirt might just about be all the "silverware" I'll be picking up this year. 🤣

You must be out to your last winning mark by now 😉

Way way past it

i think my game is bloody past it

Apologies for my tardiness gents. (I forgot, thought I had already done it)

I just updated competition purses with 2's winnings from last round in Greystones

Advertisement