Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Entrenched…

there will have to be absolute gargantuan work done on stemming this invasion; from here to eternity clearly word of mouth is that mainstream now the african youth think it’s a given. The done thing and such is the swell that many will seep through regardless. Could have easily identified these people, but chose to be blind and now the cat is well and truly out of the bag

carrying nothing but themselves projected to be many; so many the ultimate bioweapon and the more that are here / the less folk will have any respect for them the only way to usurp growing resent toward this “minority” to eclipse the resentful with a view to closing us out. So who is it to to be? We can’t continue to act toward being a satellite for this absolute crowd, if there’s one thing I cannot tolerate it is bullying. For Goliath David did not have to roll over and if government’s response is to absorb this greatest of challenges it is clear they are not fit for purpose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Fine paper here since a lot of posters tend to think there is a conspiracy theory behind immigration that they are terrified to go into detail on but consistently hint at.

https://twitter.com/KenzoNera/status/1541326313021231105

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Very few people here even speak of conspiracies? None of the regular posters at least. So you want us to defend a position that we've never taken..... AGAIN?

Even according to your own narrative though, the great replacement types, are antisemitic, right? Do you really think they are going to listen to a Jewish academics on the topic? They won't, trust me.

Regardless of all that, what are the core points in that piece that you think are most important? I was going to read it, but it's thousands of words, and I wouldn't expect you to do the same, so can you summarize it for us? That's if you actually read it of course

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

In UK did the boats stop coming after Brexit? No, they got even worse. Are there any EU citizens in those boats and lorries? Or in the Calais jungle preparing to board for UK? There are EU members that did tell them to go fk themselves and they did. And even EU citizens can be deported and Ireland did deport EU citizens in the past. So no, it's not the EU's fault.

My point was that you previously said that all of this had nothing to do with the EU, which is not true at all. I'm not laying every bit of blame on the EU either, our own are just as guilty, but when it comes to the topic of people coming here via boat, and being recused on the way, which leads to more risk and more death by incentivising them to use that method, the EU are the only ones who can be blamed. Helen and her policies make it worse I agree, but the EU are far more guilty.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'm glad we had Brexit, and the lack of accountability in the Commission is a serious issue, but I am increasingly coming to this conclusion that focussing too much on the serious shortcomings of the EU is leading us up a bit of a cul de sac.

Look at the Norwegian attack at the weekend. Look at the scene in Texas this morning. This problem is bigger than just the EU.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very few people here even speak of conspiracies? None of the regular posters at least. So you want us to defend a position that we've never taken..... AGAIN?

Standard stuff from the script of the defenders and true believers of this politic. Avoid any relevant questions like the very plague because they quite simply can't answer them honestly as that would make for further uncomfortable questions, and answers. Instead paint(and believe) any that question this politic as bad actors, conspiracy nuts and racists. Which is so much easier to do of course. It's also an attempt to shut down any questions in the first place.

Look at Minister O'Brien's response last week to TD Nolan's relevant and "respectable" questions around housing and Ukrainian refugees. He accused her of "risking social cohesion" for even asking such questions. That there would be no cap and then the usual "we waz migrantz onze" rhetoric. Empty rhetoric because he didn't even outline any actual plan to deal with this, beyond "shure itll be grand". And I would ask the same minister; if the body of Irish society is so cohesive around this topic, why would such basic and pretty tame questions be risky?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Also, this wasn't an off the cuff response either, all questions are pre submitted to ministers before question time. So that was his response after he and his handlers having time to consider the question and come up with what they considered to be the best response.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

I forget about it at the time, but he himself blamed migration for the housing problem only a few weeks before that. I don't know if they are stupid, brazen, or forgetful, but whatever the cause it's disgraceful that we have people like that in powerful positions.

Post edited by TomTomTim on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,403 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The EU could stop it all if they wanted to.

just need a referendum.

can you imagine though, the EU and it’s citizens decided on September 30th that the EU was a hard border union that didn’t accede to asylum demands…?

there would literally and immediately be tides and tides of people fleeing into its member states..more then there are already, multiples of the current influx.

There are currently 27 member states in the EU… in 2004 an extra 10 states achieved accession into the EU.. why ?

with 17 states is was manageable, there was a consensus, everyone pulled their weight.

now there are even people out there campaigning to have countries not on the geographical landmass of Europe acceded into the EU…nutsville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Imaoo The mask has come off for reggie rereg .

Except that's not true and you know it.

Our own politicians/governments have been pushing immigration for decades. Sure, some of that has come from the EU (especially during Merkels period), but the simple truth is that even without EU pressure, our government would still be encouraging it to happen. Our immigration policies, and requirements for residency/citizenship are entirely ours to determine. The EU has no say on those as long as we comply with past EU agreements, but there's a lot of scope for a country to regulate their own borders.

After all, where are all the political narratives about stopping immigration? If our politicians really wanted to avoid the EU desire for immigration, we'd be seeing a wide range of leaks or comments over the decades pointing to their actual beliefs. Except we haven't, because they want more foreign groups here.

Our politicians love to virtue signal.. and immigration provides endless opportunities to do just that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please stick to the topic. Tragic incidents on the other side of the world are not the topic

Over our side of the world only 478 died trying to cross the med so far this year

Numbers were worse other years. Policies that deter them are the only ones that work. Australia being a shining example on how to pretty much eliminate the deaths

Many of the proponents of so called multiculturalism encourage illegal crossings. Mcentee encourages it with amnesties. All so wages can be kept down.

https://m.independent.ie/business/jobs/not-enough-migrants-arriving-to-keep-pay-down-central-bank-38356212.html

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

All so wages can be kept down.

Hardly. There are a wide range of reasons for the focus on immigration. The expansion of the workforce to meet the demands of more traditional industries. The desire for a diverse population, which feeds into the NGO, and other services, which in turn provides employment. The virtue signalling that comes with minority groups, along with the lobbying system adopted from the US/Europe for those groups, which panders to the politicians sense of influence. The increased population helps the property developers and large businesses/corporations which the politicians are "friendly" with.

I could go on. There's plenty of reasons for this to go on. There's a lot of money to be made for interested parties. It's not as simple as saying it's about keeping wages down, because the reality is that in many industries salaries have increased in spite of the influx of foreign professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well, this would beg to differ.

If wages are rising, what with all the hassle in affording rent/housing

Stagnant wages and expensive housing leave young people in Ireland worse off than parents

ESRI study suggests millennials first generation with lower living standards than before

A combination of stagnant wages and higher housing costs have left young workers in Ireland financially worse off than their parents, according to a study by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The research found that earnings have flat-lined for young people entering the Irish labour market and that workers in their 20s are – in real terms – earning less than they did in the 1990s and 2000s.

Their situation is compounded by higher housing costs fuelled “by rapidly rising rents”. This is in part because home ownership rates for young adults have “collapsed”, the report said.

Stagnant wages and expensive housing leave young people in Ireland worse off than parents – The Irish Times

I said that salaries in some industries continue to rise.

Looking at average wages in technology in Ireland; the CSO states that between Q1 2013 and Q1 2018, wages in technology increased by 13-13.5% or 2.7% per year. Finance employment costs were higher at around about 16% or 3.1% per year.

Salaries increased. However inflation, rising rental/purchase prices, etc also happened.

Salaries in many industries have risen to match the increased costs of living in Ireland (so the actual benefit of increased salaries is lessened). I'm not attempting, even slightly, to deny that. I'm merely pointing out that the idea that wages have been kept low isn't accurate.

As for the difficulty in finding rental properties, there are a wide variety of reasons for that.. and honestly, one of the biggest reasons is the increased scope of government regulations affecting landlords and the increased "protections" for tenants, which have encouraged many single property landlords to leave the market. I know that was one of the prime reasons I stopped renting my own property.. it was becoming such a hassle and the rent freezes by the government made it difficult to continue meeting the rising costs, while retaining a reasonable profit margin over a yearly period.

Not going to get into a real discussion over this, as it's been done to death elsewhere. But it's not as simple as you, and others, want to make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nice start for her, free rent and a nice bit of free publicity from the Indo- ordinary paddies starting up a business could only dream of it.

Here's a story from yesterday- a Sudanese scumbag gets done for murdering an Irish man in broad daylight in co. Clare.

The Indo deemed it not to be newsworthy. Keep the fluffy news stories coming Indo instead, cheers

TheJournal.ie: Man who stabbed ex-partner's boyfriend in 'sneak attack' found guilty of murder.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nassar-ahmed-murder-of-eoin-boylan-5801420-Jun2022/

Getting back into the habit of only posting crimes by immigrants are we?

huh? Are you saying that the people peddling the immigration is bad, race = culture etc are not all subscribing to some weird replacement theories by the "elites"? If you're not going to be honest then the conversation can't start unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

By your own posts it does appear you wouldn't know an honest conversation if it was explained to you, in 10 metre high neon letters, with cheat codes. And this has been explained to you so many times, by so many people and yet you go right back to the same banal script, because you can't answer the basic questions you have no answers to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're not answering the question I posed and deflecting by complaining that I'm not answering some unknown question. Anything to avoid answering my question of course.

Your laughably clumsy rhetorical "question", where the only "honest" answer you would accept is agreement with your rhetorical "question"? That one?

But for the craic, though it'll be of little benefit for actual debate as you've zero interest in that and will twist in the wind yet again to avoid any, I'll answer you directly. No. More than a few have stated quite clearly they don't buy into "replacement theories" BS, myself included. Many times in this thread people have stated quite clearly that "race" =/= culture, myself included. I've even given concrete examples where this is demonstrated. EG the Pakistani diaspora does worse in multicultural societies than the Indian disapora. Same "race". So I must be blaming religion then? Nope. The Malaysian diaspora also do better than the Pakistani diaspora. Same religion(for the most part). Culture clearly plays a part but it's not connected to "race". I don't even buy into the notion of race, because it's clumsy and simplistic, but rather look at shared genetic heritage which is far more accurate. EG the San peoples of southern Africa are "Black" but are more genetically distinct from other "Black" peoples living in the same areas as a Swede and a Saudi Arabian.

But as I said you wouldn't know an honest conversation on this topic if you tried. And you're clearly not interested in trying.

The "unknown question(s)". OK then, honest Abe, answer this one, one that has been repeatedly asked of you and your position: Name one "multicultural" Western nation where the exact same trends don't play out along the same demographics. Point me to one "multicultural" Western nation where those of African origin don't tend to cluster at the bottom regarding education, employment, poverty. Point me to one "multicultural" Western nation with all their different histories, politics and policies who got it right. You've a lot of choices to pick from, so answer that direct question please.

That's too much for you? OK, then answer me this one; why is diversity only an apparent strength to "multicultural" White Western nations? Surely if this diversity is such a boon we should be exporting the concept to non White Western nations?

One of your first posts on this thread, and I'm sick of saying it by now, was something you made up. You were asked by me personally at least four times for proof, and several others asked the same, yet you never once responded.

You dumped some academic paper about conspiracies yesterday, and I asked you to summarize the best points so I could responded. You didn't do that either, because you likely never even read what you posted. You spoke about "good faith" debate a few days about too, yet you never doing anything on this thread that could even be considered good faith debate. Essentially, you constantly accuse others of what you are guilty of.

You also think everyone who has an issue with immigration is a conspiracy theorist who believes in the great replacement theory, yet you've no proof of this either. It's something that simply suits you to believe, so you believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought the Indo would find it more newsworthy to report on a fella getting convicted of murder instead of someone opening up a nail bar. I was wrong though.

Welcome to boards btw, we lost a great poster recently who got confused posting from his joint accounts - so it's great to have some 'new' blood in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Completely unrelated, but this is a great book, I'd recommend reading it. Imao is a big fan too apparently.

uh have you ever heard of America? While you were putting in your 50k anti immigrant posts did you bother to actually do any proper research? How about institutional racism? Lets start here shall we. You are going to learn something today if you take the time. Considering you've put in quite a bit of time on anti immigrant posting here I think it would be a good idea to educate yourself by reading everything I post before you continue to post falsehoods.

Lets start with demographic differences in sentencing

• black males receive 20% longer sentences than white offenders with similar crimes in similar circumstances as the white offenders are more likely to receive favourable judicial discretion
    • jurors more likely to find ambiguous race neutral evidence as incriminating against dark skinned suspects than light skinned suspects.
    • Black people are less likely than whites who commit the same crimes to receive plea deals and reduced sentences.
    • Black people 100% more likely to have charges filed against them that carry mandatory sentences than white counterparts committing the same crimes. The article suggests a tightening on judicial discretion.
    • Black boys viewed as older, less innocent than whites by police officers. Young black boys even as young as 10 are more likely to be viewed as criminals or not trustworthy by law enforcement.

Now you can take the time to start educating yourself as I have probably got 100 more articles to go on different subjects including redlining, generational poverty, underfunded public projects, racial biases, schooling and much much more. I know you are one of the many who doesn't believe in institutional racism so I thought it would be nice to start there. Do I expect you to educate yourself when you have several thousands of previous posts backing up an unresearched position? Of course not but perhaps you will surprise me by reading every study in turn and educating yourself on the issues presented.

What in the world are you on about? Who are you addressing? What is your point? What do black people in America have to do with multiculturalism in Europe? You're serious lacking in coherency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Advertisement