Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So you find that idea revolting but forcing a woman to have a child isn't? Of course. Abortion is a perfectly legitimate way of dealing with "the reality of things", you just don't like it. Well tough shït.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What clear comparison? One is a healthcare choice that only affects the woman involved. The other is a communicable disease that kills vulnerable members of our society. Your mental gymnastics in a desperate attempt to portray a comparison doesn't make it in anyway valid.

The thing is this poster isn't "pro-life", he's "anti-women". Sad to think we have such people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Last week tonight featured abortion ruling - spot on as usual. He really didn't go easy on the democrat "response" and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Contagiousness has nothing do with their point though, absolutely nothing. The point is about bodily autonomy, as very few people respected their right to theirs, yet many of the same people who showed no respect to said right at the time, are now using the same argument for themselves. The illogic isn't on their side, it's on yours.

Another point that we kept hearing during that period too, was "even if it saves one life, it's worth it". Oddly, that logic isn't applied to the unborn either.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

This isn’t the “gotcha” that you seem to think it is — and that’s coming from someone who was highly critical of the Covid approach and the societal hysteria that came with it.

There are quite a few degrees of difference in severity between temporarily imposing measures that require people to be vaccinated to access certain workplaces or bars / restaurants and literally forcing a woman to undergo a pregnancy which poses significant and potentially lifelong physiological, psychological and socioeconomic effects. Pregnancy, particularly unwanted pregnancy, is a potentially tremendously scarring thing for both a woman’s body and her quality of life.The Covid vaccine was literally designed to lessen the risk of people contracting a potentially serious illness. Notwithstanding that, the “Left” (whatever that means in today’s broadbrush world) did not advocate literally forcing people to get vaccinated — there may have been certain people who “talked” about it, but it was never popular enough on any side of the sociopolitical spectrum to ever be implemented.

It’s rich to talk about moral and logical flexibility when you are comparing mere “talk” about holding someone down and shoving the vaccine into them, and the very real, solid and widely-advocated stance of literally forcing a woman to undergo a full pregnancy against her will as being one in the same thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fully expecting the response to this to be that it’s ‘childish’ or ‘unhinged’.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Notwithstanding that, the “Left” (whatever that means in today’s broadbrush world) did not advocate literally forcing people to get vaccinated'

In Italy, Canada, Australia, and some smaller countries like Lithuania, the authorities were for disemploying people and destroying their livelihoods if they didn't meet this "health requirement".

That is very extreme pressure. It counts as putting people under duress albeit it isn't literally forcing them to take it that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Responsibility = become accountable for the choices you make

Self-centered nascisism = mess with your reproductive organs for the sake of endless one-night stands

Personally I think that things like "small government" are incoherent.

A government excerises authority full stop. Authority is exercised in favour of 'the good' (however you define that)

An atheist-dominated state is going to allow abortions and a broadly Christian one probably won't or will limit it more.

So the only question is a sort of wonkish constitutional one about whether authority should be devolved to the state level or not.

Hispanics migrating to California and Texas may increase religiosity in these places. Hispanics are traditionally Catholic but many are Protestants as Evangelicals are all over Latin America making converts.

Also Mormons have more children than ordinary non-Mormons so from an anthropological point of view they may increase and expand beyond Utah in the future.

Imagine two or three Mormon-dominated states instead of one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I've seen a few people mention this "forcing women to have babies" and I just can't understand where it's coming from. Overturning Roe v Wade doesn't force anyone to have a baby, in fact it doesn't ban abortion at all.

What it does mean is that in States where they will look to ban it then those should be held accountable at the ballot box. It also means that the Senate should get up off it's lazy arses and start trying to legislate instead of leaving important issues to a panel of 9.

This really should be a watershed moment for both Federal and State elections. They need to legislate for what the people they supposedly represent want and if that doesn't happen they should be kicked out of office at the first opportunity. Pelosi and her ilk have been at the trough long enough now to have made some inroads on this particular issue but in all honesty they were just as happy to sit back and let the SC do it's thing because it suited them. They should have been working hard over the past 40 years to actually get this legislation through and take the SC out of the equation.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I know a married man who chose to get a vasectomy as he and his wife decided to not have children. So nope, not just got one night stands. It seems like you have a very narrow definition of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

Who said it had to be for one night stands? A lot of couples don't want kids and so the guy would just not have everything put right until they did. Or potentially a guy has several partners, each for a period while finding the "one" and they have kids together. Honestly as far as suggestions go it is the most likely to cut down on the number of abortions that happen. As is no matter what laws are passed anyone who can will end up in more friendly areas or with back alley abortions. Obviously you will still have medical issues.

This is literally the definition of being responsible for the choices you make and being responsible with the power to create new life.

Are you against most forms of contraceptives that mess with various ways the female body works or is it just males that shouldn't be messed with? Like really, check out the side effects on most of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Mental gymnastics?

You either support the notion of bodily autonomy or you don't.

What was proposed by some during covid was that the choice to take a vaccine should be removed for what was to some considered the greater good. That took choice away from the individual, in which case bodily autonomy was not worthy of respect. In the case of abortion bodily autonomy should never be taken away. There is clearly a conflict here stemming from people's beliefs and not a rational analysis of the the constant in the two situations, namely bodily autonomy.

I never stated that people were being held down and forcefully vaccinated against their will.

I highlighted that there are a cohort of people who were happy to in theory do away with bodily autonomy when it came to covid but now want bodily autonomy respected in the case of abortion.

None of your long winded emotional diatribe did anything to contradict that.

Don't judge me by the standards you set for yourself please.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

I'm glad you brought up that example because "a lot of couples dont want to have kids" is a far cry from "poor women who have no access to medial care".

These are the people who need to take responsibility and stop living in a narcissistic reality where having a baby is a problem

But couples who already have kids also do it.... Should they just all stop having sex?

And everyone's situation is different, hence plenty abortions being women who already have children who simply can't afford to have more or don't want more(which is perfectly fine). Your logic is put them under greater fiscal and emotional strain.

It's a bit like real world factors don't matter to you. Instead it's outrage about narcissism. Which is pretty funny since you're the guy who loved Trump who is one of the greatest narcissists going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Nonsense, there was regulation and iniatives to reduce/avoid spreading infection.

If you wanted to get covid you were welcome to it, the right to spread it to others, that was not allowed.

That tired old argument is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

a broadly Christian one probably won't or will limit it more.

You are aware this decision has been condemned by many Jewish groups in the US because as you point out, it's a Christian-derived one. Judaism puts the rights of the woman first.

https://www.algemeiner.com/2022/06/24/us-jewish-groups-lament-supreme-court-roe-v-wade-reversal/

And, at least till the other recent decision in the US, there was separation of Church and State, something the RCC has been against forever but that's a side discussion.

Why are you trying to demean poor women?

"Forty-nine percent of abortion patients have an income below the poverty line, according to the Guttmacher Institute. And in Louisiana, where Haywood lives, the maternal mortality rate is one of the worst in the nation, especially among Black women. The state has since shuttered its abortion clinics, though a Louisiana judge temporarily blocked enforcement of the state's "trigger" abortion ban Monday.

"For the Black women I work with who already fear entering the health care system, this just exacerbates that even more," Haywood said. "The idea that somebody in the state that doesn't care what we say about Louisiana, in the state that doesn't care about people, that people will have to carry a child to term when they're already living in substandard housing, when their children are not getting the best education, when they can barely see their families."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/poor-women-color-bear-brunt-abortion-bans-roe/story%3fid=85782890

You really haven't a clue what you're talking about when it comes to poor women's access to healthcare. I'd love to see how smug you'd be if you were in their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I clearly stated that I'm talking about a cohort of people on the left who were advocating for vaccine mandates.

When something doesn't suit your opinion it's easy to dismiss it out of hand I suppose.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I did write a post either yesterday or the day before where I noted that the Supreme Courts reasoning of transferring the responsibility of settling the abortion issue from case law to statutory law was somewhat compelling (the other reasonings less so) — so I do partially agree with you here. I’ve also noted though that the failure of officialdom to pass, while a failure it remains, should not be one that then invariably means that the individual rights of women have to suffer for it. If the failure of the legislature means that the issue of preventing women being forced to continue to unwanted pregnancies falls in the hands of the Court, then so be it. It’s imperfect, but it’s better than the alternative of simply not addressing it at all. I certainly agree with you that the decision should be the rallying call for the solidifying of abortion rights through legislation, but this will not be possible in all states.

I disagree with you in that I stand by the statement that “forcing women to have babies” is a live issue here. The overturning of Roe v Wade allows, and absolutely will precipitate, tighter abortion laws that will be specifically intended to prevent women as far as possible from receiving abortions - thus in other words seeking to force them to have the baby. The ability to travel elsewhere in the country for an abortion mitigates the risk somewhat, but does not change the intention of the laws and indeed favours those who have means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

This isn't a gotcha. It is both. In my scenario I specifically mentioned abortion services would be needed as you will still have medical ones. Without the law going nuts the doctor and woman involved can make the appropriate decision without wondering if this corner case was written into law or not.

People have suggested ways of taking responsibility but not like that, or that, or that. You only want them to take responsibility in ways you deem appropriate. I say again that this is about control and nothing to do with the unborn because even the suggestions that don't involve abortion don't give enough control and so they are unsuitable.

As I've said upthread, that separation is about preventing an establishment of religion at the federal level.

Did the SC justices cite Almighty God and dedicate the US to the Sacred Heart? No, they made a legal-technical decision to devolve legislative authority to the states.

it is a gothca moment because up until now you have been using the "poor women" card deflecting from the reality of people who really seek for abortion services, such as couples who dont feel ready to start a family, who have career commitments, and so on.

These people need to take responsibility. Leave poor women out if the debate, they are not on this forum and for all we know they may very well be happy to become mothers even without a strong financial background

And conveniently ignoring that even married couples with children have abortions. When vasectomies got mentioned, you were completely outraged cause that's not the kind of responsibility you're comfortable with.

You also realise abortions will continue to happen even if you made them entirely illegal right? The contraceptive pill was being used in Ireland prior to repeal ever happening. The change is it wasn't treated as a criminal act and women began to be offered actual supports in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Like I said when this thread started, they aren't even discussing the matter on legal terms. I haven't seen even one attempt of them making a legal argument against the decision. The thread is literally full of appeals to emotion: "think of the poor women", "you're killing women", "you hate women", "you want to control women". For a class of people who consider themselves the shinning lights of society, the intellectually minded, there's a serious lack of any of that in this thread as predicted.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Do you have any life experience at all? Your posts are so naive and don't reflect what's happening in the real world.

attacking the poster for lack of a better argument, I see

Nope, I said your posts were naive. That often comes from a lack of life experience. There's a few lads posting here that wouldn't know one end of a woman from the other.

• Advertisement

You've pretty much ignored all the responses in relation to vasectomies and labeled anyone who gets them as "narcissist". In fact, you're largely ignoring any posts responding to you with arguments.

Advertisement