Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You were claiming that Glastonbury being political was a new thing. We're just telling you that you haven't been paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well he was always going to leave the most crowd pleasing stuff to the end. But the first half had Can’t Buy Me Love, Got To Get You Into My Life, Getting Better, Maybe I’m Amazed, Let me Roll It (which I thought was great) I’ve Just Seen a Face, Love Me Do and Blackbird. Hardly obscure songs. He played about 3/4 newer songs by my count, most of which I knew (but granted a lot of people might not) but I think we can cut him some slack on that. It’s not like he did a Paul Weller and played just a handful of his best known songs.

Jaysus far too many miserable cnuts in this thread. I had a great few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was slightly impeded with having a 7 year old in tow, and whilst if not I'd have stuck it out for what I knew was to come, I just couldn't get motivated enough to keep them motivated when they could see fire explosions and light shows going on in Arcadia instead when sat on my shoulders.

I took the opportunity to get them up to Arcadia before the crowds instead. Macartney was just starting Lady Madonna ad we left and I knew it was about to kick off.

There was many people saying that they gave up on it though. Felt like he was doing 4 new to 1 old for the first half (which I'm certain is wrong, but that's what it felt like) and it just wasn't enough to keep many people interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How does one go about getting tickets for Glastonbury?

Is it similar to EP here where it's massively over subscribed and your chances are slim to none? or worse still?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

i know its political with green peace and all the other activist agencies, my full point was that we dont need Americas **** as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭gilly1910

I think that's the understatement of the day. When you think back to the 90s/00s and you had Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Prodigy, Radiohead, Pulp, Green Day, REM, Guns & Roses, U2, The Verve, Bon Jovi, Primal Scream, Kasabian, Pearl Jam, Manic Street Preachers, Foo Fighters, Muse, The Killers, Artic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, Arcade Fire and I'm sure there are loads that I have missed. Either way all of them headline acts, and music is truly f**ked when all of these great bands are no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I would be very interested in hearing how it worked out doing a festival of that scale with your kids in tow, especially traveling from ireland(forget if you are ireland or uk based, i recognise your handle from parkrun threads!)

My oldest is 4 and is obsessed by all things music (ironically he is a big beatles fan, but george is his favourite!) have brought him to a smaller festivals pre pandemic. Have pipe dreams of doing it in 4 /5 years time when i will have a then 4/5 year old and a 7/8 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Without de-railing the thread further, there is plenty of good music out there now a days, you just got to keep looking. Lots of those bands still exist btw, and some even performed this weekend in various guises!

The worst thing in my opinion you can do is stop listening to new music, you got to keep challenging your brain, its not important that you like everything you listen to.

Also nostalgia is a fantastic tool to really place emphasis on how good or how bad music is, some of the bands in your list were not considered greats in comparison to their peers when they were current

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Well, just left the campervan back and sitting down to a coffee and reflecting on everything.

What an absolute belter of a festival that was. From the people we met, to the music, performance pieces, Lunatics, funny feckers and hedonistic headbangers , Glastonbury had it all

I was last there 18yrs ago and things def have improved since then.

I saw so many class acts/performances (Rimskis yard was a particular standout !!)

Yeh there were a few pinch points with crowds etc but to be expected.

It's about music, it's about politics, it's about trying to change things for the better, it's about informing. It's also about having a bloody good time. Which we did in spades 😁

Roll on October!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Crowded House were excellent, deserved a bigger crowd though. Finn in fine voice, excellent musicianship and finishing with I Got You was a bit special.

7 Grammy Awards, 3 Brits, a Golden Globe and an Oscar. She's an impressive artist who did a great set at the Electric Picnic three years ago and her Bond theme with Johnny Mar is excellent. I'd have gone to see her had she not clashed with the Jesus and Mary Chain followed by Primal Scream in the JP tent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kasabian were one of the dreariest headline acts I've ever seen. The Verve were always a shite headline band. Stone roses never managed to keep it together to headline. Guns n Roses. Shite. Kings of Leon another one who after the 2nd album became so middle of the road to be an irrelevance.

I love the Manics but don't see them as a headline act.

There was a **** tonne of complete bollox music then too filling up the schedules, shed 7, mull historical society and the like. So many bands with 5 mins of fame in the britpop era who couldn't hold a tune but got by on the vibes of the time.

A BBC mix issue. In the field the sound was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Yep sound was amazing from where I was - front right of screen. I thought he was outstanding. Yeh few lulls first hour but was because I wasn't familiar with the newer songs.

I was at Chic that night at West Holts, astonishing. It was so busy that they closed the area for the first time in the festival's history. This was before they were over here every year. Other pals were at the Horrors at the Park Stage. There is never any shortage of acts there if dissatisfied with the Pyramid headliner.

The negativity here is of no use to anyone and, I suspect, fuelled by people who've never been to the festival and resent others enjoying themselves. Not a great look guys.

What lack of diversity regarding acts is there?

In terms of people it's overwhelmingly white, you're right, that's slowly changing but you cannot force non-white people to go camping in a field for five days if they don't want to. For many many people across all demographics it doesn't appeal.

Absolutely. It's a not-for-profit festival where the proceeds are shared between Greenpeace, Water Aid and Oxfam with large donations (approx £9m per annum) also given to over 150 local charities.

If they wanted to make extra cash they'd allow corporations and beer sponsors in. They don't, apart from EE which provides telecommunications there and free charging for the public. They've also refused huge offers from Channel 4 and Sky for coverage. Profiteering they ain't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sorry but you're just old and you don't get new music. Music evolves and changes just like everything else does. In 50 - 60 years people will be saying the same thing about todays music. It's just the passing of time I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I take that with the biggest pinch of 'saxa' you can find..... C'mon now they're making a nice tidy profit from this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Fupp me what a week

Left Body and Soul on Sunday & set sail to Blighty on Tues afternoon.

Only got back this morning as we missed our 20:30 Monday sailing due to being stuck in a car park for 5 fupping hours, had to get the 02:15 sailing instead

Here's a run down of the acts I caught not including the brief snippets u catch as u float about

***Friday ***

Libertines

Wet leg

Slayford Mods

Supergrass

Idles (Other Stage)

JAMC

Primal Scream

***Saturday***

Idles (BBC Introducing)

Black Midi

Tom Robinson

John Cooper Clarke

Waterboys

Paul Mccarthy

***Sunday***

Just Mustard

Fontaines DC

Jack White

Jar Vis 

Kendrick Lamar

Hard to pick highlights out of the above as there were so many outstanding moments

Primal Screams set in the John Peel on Sat night was nostalgia-tastic

Fontaines absolutely knocked it out of the park on Sunday - great to see them evolve over the last 5 yrs or so into bona-fide indie guitar heroes

Kendrick Lamars performance was unreal - the man's flow n delivery were outstanding, he delievered a great show and a powerful message to conclude a weekend of musical highs

The production on site is far ahead of any festival I've attened- sound and vision par excellence

I'm a broken man but it was great to be back in the fields of Avalon once again

No, good music is good music ...and today's music is Cr*p end of ..look at live aid 85 compared to the Cr*p that passes as talented today, worlds apart😐

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is such a dumb opinion that I'm not going to bother debating with you about it. Just because you personally don't like something doesn't make it bad. If you can't recognise talent that's on you.

I can recognize talent - those who can sing & write songs and play musical instruments properly without relying on cover versions and backing tracks like half the acts in Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Which half did covers and played to backing tracks?

Watching back Paul McCartney. I can see what people are saying about his voice not being what it used to be but it didn't take away from the experience whatsoever at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

So much for the received wisdom that Frosty was a jolly, happy soul. A sad descent into bitterness. Get well soon, Frosty

• Advertisement

I'm now based in the UK, but had previously done many Glastonbury trips from Ireland. The kid is now 7 and this was their 3rd time, but likely the only one so far they might remember with the previous ones being aged 2 and before that aged 4 weeks.

It is totally doable with kids, but you have to be prepared for a totally different way of doing the festival. With a baby and toddler it's possibly a bit easier as they mostly can't escape and you can just strap them into a buggy and still get to places that you want. 4 weeks post c-section for the wife was more of a challenge, but comfy chair and never walking very far made it survivable. I had a lot of kit to cart around that year.

This year it was just me with a coach ticket, but as we live close by I ran to the nearby parkrun in Shepton Mallet on the Saturday, ran that, and then took the shuttle bus back to the site with the kid and their kit for the night. After a few days of partying for me the Saturday and Sunday were spent with a lot of time in the Kidz Field and around the Theatre Circus areas. I like those areas anyway so wasn't a major problem. Then I could manage to get them to go along to one big act on the Pyramid each day without them getting too bored.

Knowing your way round the site helps as you can take many alternative routes to get to the Kidz Field so you can see some other things along the way. Will be many years of going before the kid realises that you are taking quite convoluted routes. The Kidz Field is awesome though and you can just leave the kid to run wild. They won't get let out, and on the way in they check for you having tagged them with your phone number somewhere.

It was tricky doing it solo though as you could really do with a tag team so one of you at least can get to see some acts, or to make fetching drinks or going to the loo a bit easier.

I had great fun with the kid, but wouldn't have been able for the whole week flying solo. With both of you in attendance though it's perfectly doable for the full duration once you change your expectations of what you'll see.

There is a lot of ice-cream required though, but thankfully plenty of ice-cream vans about the site to keep motivation levels high.

Advertisement