Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I've been keeping an eye on the number of available properties in my area (Louth) for the last while and there has definitely been an increase in the number of properties for sale, up about 12-15%. However so far there has been no drop in prices and demand still seems very high. Friend of mine went sale agreed on a property last week for 70k over the asking price for a nice but pretty standard 4 bed semi. He sold his own for 40k over asking. I'm hoping to buy in the next year but currently I'm being priced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

So your statement is about euros. You cant beat. It will never crash. Which all is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

There was plenty of it in Q2 and Q3 2020 when many, including on here, were cautioning anyone from buying in light of Covid and anticipated property bubble burst. I was looking at the time and a huge number of advertised properties (certainly in Dublin/ Wicklow) were seeing asking prices reduced by 10/ 20%. Now whether that was just a ploy to get bids in again, and the properties ended up selling for initial asking or more, I don't know as I wasn't quite at the point of making offers myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hasn’t crashed so far. After over 20 years. Despite the daily prophecies it would/will. Can never say never with any currency but Any day now I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

County Galway area. Sold up in January and just dipping our toe back in the market again. We're under no pressure to buy and will hold off unless something special shows up.

Compared to February, March when properties were 10-15% above asking and selling within 3-4 weeks, now properties we've looked at are still up 5-6 weeks later with asking still not met.

Also quality and finish of properties has diminished. A lot of rentals coming on the market where the owners seem to just want to flog it off before a fall.

Anecdotal, but I think we're heading for a halt to the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 geronimo123

We closed our house sale in May and are renting back from the new owner. We were in a 3 bed semi-d which we had outgrown years ago as the family grew, but had bought in 2006 so just stuck it out. Next door to a badly maintained rental house which just got worse over the years and occasional noise from young fellas at the weekends, we had to sell up for our sanity! There still seems to be crazy bidding on any detached houses around Limerick suburbs. I fear if we buy now are we going to regret it in a year or two, when we're not under pressure to leave our current place. It's just so hard to know how this will pan out, people give different advice and what you see and read in the media is just all government spin. I know the current situation is different to 2008 and there is such a shortage of supply, but I would give anything for a crystal ball cause it does keep us awake at night wondering if we should just try and buy now and get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ticktickboom

Hi Geronimo, we're in the exact same market as you and have decided to hold back and wait a year. It's at peak affordability now and will likely only drop after this recession starts to bite and the rates rise.

There's still some wreckless bidding going on for 70's/80's fixer-upper bungalows outside the city. Hard to understand the logic.

We have it on good authority that there's a buyer gone sale agreed on a place yet they're still bidding away on everything else coming up in the area...They've been top bidder on at least three places and dropped out of all the sales. The estate agents involved don't seem to be checking approval docs, sale status of bidders existing property or anything else really...the whole thing is so dodgy. They're driving up the cost for genuine buyers. We revoked our offer on one yesterday, don't want any part of that carry on.

Best of luck on your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

The whole open bidding process is a mess. I can see the same people in all the viewings in the area, and possibly bidding on multiple online properties at the same time. It just pushes up the price for everyone. The bids should be binding and that would resolve some of the problems in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

It would solve one problem but create another.

You'd have to wait each time until the bidding ear was over to bid on a different house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

I recall in one state of Australia (WA I think), houses are sold by way of a simple offer & acceptance standard contract for sale. All offers had to be in writing (they can be amended if there are multipel bidders).

Seemed to have a few benefits. Firstly all offers had to be genuine (none of this opaque bidding process). Also once an offer was accepted it was binding. Of course there were conditions that needed to be satsified before conveyance of title can occur (such as all of the standard due dliligence that needs to be performed, subject to finance, pre-purchase inspection etc) and purchasers can put any condition they see. Vendors are free to accet or refuse or can also make counter offers.

But once accepted and all was in order, then the vendor and pruchaser were obliged to go through with the sale and if they didnt they are at risk of breach of contract (and liquidated damages). It ensured both parties bargain in good faith. None of the non-binding malarky we have until contracts are exchanged where both the vendor and purchaser can pull before hand.

Also reduced converyancing cost as for a straight forward sale of a house, a registered converyancer could be used instead of a solictor, which was typically required for non-standard transcations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Across the pond, loans were given against crypto which, if it had occurred here, would also avoid CGT while leveraging the gain. Not unsound provided certain criteria are met and continue to be monitored. But only for the disciplined.

Unfortunately, profits should be taken along the way but, as with all bulls, those in at the end believe the hype don't mitigate risk and are greedy to ape the earlier monumental gains. Ignoring probabilities.

The instability of even the best cryptos means that, for now at least, they are not money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think same is happening in Galway City. Agree on the rentals as well. Seen property drop in Galway City twice now in the past month. It started at 435k - its a 15/20 min walk into Shop Street in Galway, on the West side of the City. Was a cheeky asking considering condition, was a rental. Dropped by 40k about 1 week ago not its another 40k down today so its now at 355k but its not the first property in the area I have seen the asking drop recently. (a house about 3min walk from this the property went from 435k to 395k asking(it has sold since))Have never seen has many propertys available on Daft.ie for Galway City in the past 2 years. Supply is increasing just as interest rates are rising so I don't think your observation about the madness coming to an end is anecdotal at this stage on the West Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I dont want to diminish personal experiences, but looking at the latest Daft report Q2 has been a good month for sales and asking prices are still going strong.

I know it's only asking prices, but they wouldnt rise so much if sales were slowing down

Fair enough, thats a MACRO view. My comparisons are real MICRO. I am house hunting in 2/3 ares of Galway City the past 18months

Another example I can think of now. This is much better. Am going by SALE prices on the same road, same estate and street. Same area again as per my last example. These two houses have exactly same layout, same condition as I viewed one and did a virtual viewer of the other, same easterly aspect for the back garden and the same size garden. Two doors apart in Galway City. (The houses on EAST of the street are even and the houses on the WEST of the street are odd.)

Property Register shows No 16 sold for €420k on 07-01-2022 so would have been end of Q4 2021 for the sale and last Saturday I viewed a house in the same estate, auctioneer said he had just sold a house(No 20) that was directly behind this house that he was showing; which I knew was on the same street as No 16. He said he had just sold for €408k

Dealt with Auctioneer twice before in 2021 - and he was straight up on his info as I had cross checked against information he provided from the Property Registrar in the past, so I say in 2/3 months time will see this €408k on the Property Registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Daft now over 17k properties. Keep them coming.......

Maybe People are thinking we are top, and willing to put property up before there is chance of economic downturn and interest rate hike!

I suspect there’ll be a good while of high volumes of property for sale but no drop in prices and little activity. And then…..

A bit like Wile E Coyote running off the cliff and being suspended in mid air for an age before plummeting to his demise

(except that supply constraints and cost of building will likely put a pretty solid floor on any price drops)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Yes, I think that even while a lot of people have put their search on hold, and a lot of landlords are starting to shift their property, and so there is now less competition for individual properties - there's enough of a backlog, and still enough people shopping for properties (including cash buyers) - that properties are continuing to shift fairly quickly, for now. Whether the supply will eventually erode the backlog enough that prices begin to drop noticeable, we'll have to wait and see. Although I think I'm seeing that already on apartments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Daft report does micro too. In fact, the increases for Galway City are the highest in the entire country for every category covered in the report - 1 bed apartment (17%), 2 bed terraced (14.7%), 3 bed semi-d (14.5%), 4 bed bungalow (14.4%) and 5 bed detached (7.8%).

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Noted 2 healthy price drops today in co Kildare, 1 @ 10% drop and one which was a split of some land from the original advert but if you added the house and the separated land together again it would equal a 17.5% drop. The 10% drop was in Leixlip which was a surprise given the market there is usually very strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Monos

Hi

While we're overall still seeing smaller increases there are some signs of downward movement in the Dun Lao Rathdown area from latest CSO April report:

That is really not "Micro" enough for me personally by a long shot but ya that is useful enough information alright.

Wish there was a 4 bed semi-d category (useful for Citys)

https://ww1.daft.ie/report?d_rd=1

Personally I'd like to see an independent report, I do wonder how it would correlate with this one. All I can say is that where I am things appear less heated with plenty of stock coming online.

I know someone with a really beautiful home up for €390k. And was hoping for a bit more. Not a single bid yet despite several viewings. Tbh I thought this house would be snapped up. Appears not. It’s in the country, close to the motorway and rail line just over an hour from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

This is a sales price report, it's updated to April 2022

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexapril2022/

the percentages represent the year on year increase, so anything above 0 means prices are up compared to same month a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Interesting, given that that's the most expensive part of the country.

When I look at price drops on MyHome, I have a feeling that most of the price increases are now on the 'cheap' properties (e.g. flats under 300k in Dublin) - I wonder if people are shifting down the price ladder, and so cheap properties are seeing a surge in demand while more expensive properties start to sag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Myhome.ie at over 14,000.

The average over 2017-2019 was about 21,000 so still short on those levels but certainly trending up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I see Dublin house prices for the month on month have decreased 0.1%... so is that now official, that house prices in Dublin are now falling?

I guess so.

Dublin normally leads the market with the rest of the country following.

My arm see is this is where the real heat has been- the expensive stuff will always have much less of an audience. But the €200-350k is more attainable for a lot of working people and hence more competitive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭frank730

good properties still sale agreed well over asking price, there is 4bed semi for sale in the Maples, Dublin14, asking 635, current offer 750

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement