Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,010 ✭✭✭Christy42

If poor women are happy to become mothers why bother banning abortions? Rich people will travel for them if needed and poor women won't get it anyway. Someone already posted stats showing lower income avail of abortion services at an above average rate so your imagination is not seen in reality.

The reality is that there are thousands of different reasons for different women but that doesn't fit into your cookie cutter image of how life is like. Makes it harder to justifying controlling those people. Some have health issues, some have children already, some have money issues, some were attacked, some have careers in mind, some have other life goals, some are desperate to be mothers, some hope to be some day, some are already mothers and some will never have an interest. I figured out years ago that I was never going to figure out every possible reason that women will have an abortion and that in the end each decision would need to be done case by case, ideally by a doctor and the patient.

However all that works in your mind is to boil all these women into one little bucket that you can shame and justify control. All your posts show this, stats ignore that plenty of women who have abortions already have children but all you take about is not ready for a family or happy to become mothers. Of course you know the real type that gets abortions, never mind the stats, never mind the reality, you, you can define all these women into a simple little bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I missed your comment on that, this thread moves quickly 😁

I suppose we come at this from slightly different views. I believe the legislators have abdicated all responsibility to the SC for important issues. It boils my blood to see the likes of Biden and Pelosi grandstand on this when they've collectively sat on their hands for decades. Using the courts as their safety net so they don't have to do the hard work of actually getting the legislation passed.

It should also serve to focus electors minds in State elections to actually get laws passed that they need and not rely on SC rulings, which can and have been overturned for a variety of reasons in the past. Again, it's a collective laziness from everyone involved to just sit back and wave their hands while blaming the SC for them not doing their job.

To your last point, it's definitely an emotive issue and people are looking for someone to blame. I just don't feel it should be directed at the SC in this case. They made a ruling of law, which many don't fully agree with and they will certainly be challenged on this point again in the near future.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah yes the Irish solution.

Go somewhere else, but don't dare look for it or even mention it at home.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's just not true though.

The Abortion Rights Campaign received a cheque from Soros' foundation. On the advice of SIPO they returned it.

Amnesty International Ireland also received funding from Soros' foundation. They used this funding for other purposes not connected with the referendum, which is allowed.

Together for Yes crowdfunded through their website and applied the donation limits in law applicable to Irish-based and non-Irish-based donors.

Did Love Both or Save the 8th even register with SIPO? IIRC they did not. The Iona Institute also refused, and still refuses, to register with SIPO even though they are a lobbying organisation which falls right within the scope of the legislation. For a long time, the default currency on the Youth Defence donations page was US dollars. There were massive numbers of ads, which Google and Facebook eventually refused to run, for the No side bought in the US and paid for in US dollars. This was an obvious attempt to subvert our politics, but you come out with the Trumpian evidence-free "both sides" rubbish which just isn't true.

Without American lobbyists and dollars it's unlikely we'd have had the 8th amendment in the first place. We were just used by them as a battlefield in their war on Roe v. Wade and the horrible consequences of the 8th here were of no concern to them.

Our constitutional and political environment is in no way comparable to that of the US. The fact we can (relatively) easily amend our constitution, whereas in the US even the most inoffensive of changes such as the Equal Rights Amendment could not get ratified, is a huge difference. They are stuck with a 250 year old document which needed a war and an amendment to ban slavery ffs.

The fact it took us 20 years to legislate for the X case and 35 years to give the people a vote on repealing the obviously deeply flawed 8th amendment will go down in history as stains on our politics however.

Worth noting though that the majority of US voters believe in a woman's right to choose, just like in Ireland.

The 8th Amendment was vile and a real risk to the health and lives of women in Ireland, of course removing it was a cause for celebration. We also knew the legislation which was drafted, and the law we ended up with was exactly in line with this. The situation in the US is very different, with 'trigger laws' in many states. Of course it was easier for religious conservatives to get laws like these passed in southern states when Roe v. Wade prevented the laws from having any effect. Now, they're going to have to own the consequences of their legislation - which will include women dying.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

right, so are you a poor woman, a black woman or any of the unprivileged women that you have been speaking on behalf of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But the court didn't consider that, as I stated, some major religions believe in a woman's right to an abortion but the SCOTUS punted that back to the States, arguably injecting religion into State decisions, in violation of the 1st amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

@Igotadose

Here was the summary of the ruling:

"The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe and Casey are overruled; and the authority to regulate abortion to the people and their elected representatives."

- Justice Alito

There is no argument that the SC has injected religion into anything. It has never come up at all insofar as the law is concerned.

You and I know that in practice many religious people are going to be motivated to vote against allowing abortion. But that's a sociological observation, it doesn't mean that an Established church is dictating laws.

There's nothing to stop atheists voting against allowing abortion; and Catholics voting in favour of it.

The President of the US is a pro-choice Catholic.

Nor anything stopping bringing a case saying that abortion should be available to those whose religions support it. Some religions like the Church of Satan require aborted fetal material as part of their religious worship. Whether we agree, they might have a case. But now we're off in the weeds.

What's widely under attack, beside the obvious impact of the decision, is the flouting of stare decisis in the 'Constitution doesn't support abortion.' Well, yeah, it was written in 1792. And, the 14th amendment didn't consider it - because it was ratified in 1868, prior to being voted for, by men. If you reject stare decisis, a court can pretty much do what it wants. A Democratic court could vacate this decision using the same (absurd) judicial contortions.

There is no argument that the SC has injected religion into anything. It has never come up at all insofar as the law is concerned.

Religion is very much at the heart of this. The SC has been packed with conservative catholics for a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is'nt it amazing? When your culture considers not having children to be a virtue then it just gets replace by one that doesnt!

Who could have seen that coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't need to speak for them, the statistics and their testimonies do that. Yet you spout nonsense that maybe they're happy to have a child despite not being in financial position to raise it. In your "reality", these women should be firing out babies left, right and centre and to hell with the wellbeing of the mother or the children. All in the name of your warped view of "responsibility".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Your bodily autonomy doesn't cover passing a disease to someone else.

You can't try and compare vaccines to abortions and talk about rational analysis with a straight face.

Like I said, mental gymnastics

Just remember the meltdown the Iona lot had when foreign sourced and funded ads were blocked before the referendum. That tells you everything you need to know. There is also plenty on info out there about the origins of most of it funding, while they wait about soros

Except when something is contagious it's not just about you body, is your body and the body of every person around you. So again this desperate attempt to conflate the two isn't going to work.

I'm only talking about the formal application of the law.

I've no problem with the low-key conspiracy theory that crypto-Papists overruled Roe because of their own religious beliefs. Highly plausible imo.

What's particularly sad, is the re-litigation of the 8th repeal, which won resoundingly and has been repeatedly pointed out its irrelevant to Ireland or this particular thread about the USA. Followed on by the whinging about Covid. Sad, really, nothing ties either of those together and neither is relevant to what just happened in the USA.

Plus all the old anti-choice arguments that were refuted in the run up to the 8th repeal. There's still the thread to discuss something new and novel to say about abortion in Ireland.

This thread's cluttered enough. I'd recommend reading the decision passed down by the SCOTUS, it is about 160 pages for, and about 50 pages against. Really the decision doesn't matter though, the judges voting against Roe and Casey could've just signed their names to a blank piece of paper for all their written bloviating means. FFS referencing Hale.

@growleaves Nothing conspiratorial or crypto-papist about it, they were appointed precisely because as conservative Catholics they could be relied upon to overturn Roe v. Wade, and despite what they said during their confirmation hearings, that's exactly how it's turned out.

Only about 25% of the US population is Catholic, and most of them are pro-choice (56%, Pew Research 2022)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

“Except when something is contagious it's not just about you body, is your body and the body of every person around you.”

Where have I heard that before?🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

that's not my view, that's how you imagine women's life to become in case abortion becomes illegal. In reality couples will manage as they always have

Plus abortion is still legal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well of course the judges themselves are never going to admit their decision was motivated by their religious beliefs.

Amy Coney Barrett said at her confirmation hearing

Judges can’t just wake up one day and say ‘I have an agenda — I like guns, I hate guns, I like abortion, I hate abortion’ — and walk in like a royal queen and impose their will on the world.”

And there probably is a strong secular legal/constitutional case for overturning Roe v Wade.

Still I can't believe it's a coincidence this is happening at a time when the court is so Catholic-dominated.

NYT columnist Maureen Dowd puts her finger on it

this Catholic feels an intense disquiet that Catholic doctrine may be shaping (or misshaping) the freedom and the future of millions of women, and men. There is a corona of religious fervor around the court, a churchly ethos that threatens to turn our whole country upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

How can you type that without seeing the irony? Abortion involves killing/removing what would eventually be a baby, a life that will never get to be lived once aborted. It's the direct removal of what would be a life, whereas something contagious, especially covid, is based on the hypothetical that you may harm another life. There's far more variables at play in the mix of potential covid contagion, whereas there's really none when it comes to abortion. One is a guarantee of something, whereas the other is a potentiality.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Somedays people say the vaccines prevented transmission

The next day when challenged on the out of control spread despite 90%+ vaccination rates they they no the vaccines were never to stop transmission.

Might as well slap wheels on the goalposts. Sure they are moving non stop

It's a Catholic-dominated court thanks in part to a Scotch-descended Protestant (Trump).

Ordinary American Protestants weren't either very worked up about abortion (it wasn't on a lot of people's radar afaik, though an early pro-life movement existed) nor especially open to Catholic influence in 1973. Now they are both.

That's how the ball bounces.

@Loafing Oaf 'Well of course the judges themselves are never going to admit their decision was motivated by their religious beliefs.'

I agree with you, but this is a problem for all conspiracy theories.

The relevance is that you can't legally claim the laws against disestablishment of religion have been breached because the judges are secretly letting their religion influence them and sneakily not telling anyone.

The legal decision itself has no references to Papal Bulls, Catholic dogma, the Bible, metaphysics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Thanks. As I suspected and expected the Poor are being used disingenuously. 1 in 4 cannot afford $400 for medication. Moving state is not an option either as they cannot afford an Abortion in their own state. Seems like most rights in the USA are tied to money. Abortion rights for the poor seems to be massively down the list if the figures are accurate. It seems middle class Americans only consider rights when it effects them. So to coin the phrase "women poor women were being forced to have children anyway."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on any compelling arguments put forward in any of the dissents.

There's a lot to unpack in the concurrences alone so haven't had much time to disgest the dissents yet.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

So the choice of whether or not to take a vaccine should be outside the control of the individual?

You are lecturing me about bodily autonomy from what you perceive to be some sort of moral high ground whilst ignoring the fact that your argument suggests you lack the most rudimentary understanding of what the word autonomy means.

Your persistence in this vein demonstrates precisely what I set out to demonstrate. You are suggesting there should be no bodily autonomy when it comes to a situation like covid vaccines but the bodily autonomy of a woman seeking an abortion should never be impinged upon.

You're accusing me of mental gymnastics whilst putting on a veritably flawless floor show of mental gymnastics of your own, the scores are in, all 10's, thanks for proving my point for me in with breathtaking panache.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

No you didn't, you made and continue to make a broad comparison between extremely different situations. Pregnancy is not a transmissible virus to others in the general public.

The real irony is conservatives continuing to wail complaints about minor pressure being put on them months ago to conform to public health guidance while around others while at the same time applauding the big government enforcing birth on women.

There is no 'moral or logical flexibility' by me on this matter, if the government was sending people to jail for not getting vaccinated then I'd similarly oppose it. You're the one that is all over the place, twisting yourself in knots trying to maintain any semblance of consistency

Agree, they should have been smart and found another reason to let him go. They tried to do the right thing and it blew up in their face

• Advertisement

Thaaaat’s, not quite what happened either. This is what the SC actually decided -

Writing for the court majority, Justice Neil Gorsuch said that the school relied exclusively and improperly on concerns that the prayers would be viewed as a religious endorsement by the school. Without evidence that students had been coerced, the majority said, barring coach Joseph Kennedy from praying on the 50-yard line at the end of each game was a form of hostility to religion, in violation of the Constitution.

"Respect for religious expressions is indispensable to life in a free and diverse Republic. Here, a government entity sought to punish an individual for engaging in a personal religious observance, based on a mistaken view that it has a duty to suppress religious observances even as it allows comparable secular speech. The Constitution neither mandates nor tolerates that kind of discrimination. Mr. Kennedy is entitled to summary judgment on his religious exercise and free speech claims," Gorsuch wrote.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/27/1106290141/supreme-court-high-school-coach-right-to-pray?t=1656363989009

The SC, including the man in question that you are quoted, are proven to twist truth to suit their ideology.

'Personal religious observance' is not doing it in the most public place on the field - on the halfway line.

Again, the Conservative hypocrisy is caught in full view where now a teacher can lead a class in prayer in a public secular school while not being able to mention that they are gay to the same students.

It’s rather unfortunate, but understandable, that it is you who doesn’t understand people, instead choosing to categorise people in political terms that ignores the reality and the complexity of each individual human being. You’re actually closer to the people you want to dismiss, than you think, with your politics being fundamentally identical in it’s simplistic attitudes towards other people who don’t share your opinions

Utter nonsense. Unlike those who are cheering this decision by the SC, I am treating each person as a human being and not pushing my opinions on anyone's unique situations. I am calling for each individual to be given their right to choose what suits their life, that myself nor 'big-government' mostly full of old white men should be telling them what to do with their bodies.

Advertisement