Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking... US Supreme Court overturns Roe v Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

That's how the founding fathers created the states. So Small voices could not be silenced by a larger state. Like it or loathe it that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's the same way the EU represents its members surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭GalwayMark

Precisely why America needs to have a new constitution fit for purpose in the 21st century. It's unfair how the majority can be overruled by a tiny minority which hold views that are complete anathema to current norms and this groundhog day needs to stop or a load of people will get damaged that will create massive societal repercussions for decades to come even after Abortion becomes legal again, with or without Supreme Court ruling.

I think it's the case yes. Kind of a double edged sword in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its almost as if the USA is a federation of seperate states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There was no sizeable push to force people to take the vaccine or else go to jail. Given the country on topic here - please point to one US state that brought in that law.

You seem very hurt by words or 'pressure' and far less concerned with actual laws imposed by big-government Republicans that will jail women for making decisions regarding their own bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This ruling hands the power to change back to the States.

If people in a state want abortion they can vote accordingly, their choice. The power now in their hands once again.

Is the will or interest there to do so?

We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

So you care about pregnant women in the US, but you dont care about pregnant women in Europe?

In your own words: I really cannot understand why anyone would make such a huge dick of a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

These rulings will have zero effect on Ireland, thankfully. Abortion rights are here to stay.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I care about staying on topic.

Youre telling me you don’t care about abortion rights in Poland since you haven’t yet started a thread on it. That’s your level of cognition here. It’s sophomoric.

If my words resonated with you there must be a reason.

• Advertisement

No true any government of the day can change them. I support abortion in Rape and incest and medical needs for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

It's supposed to be but France and Germany run the Eu.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Rewriting history now?

Nothing was "reformed". The 1861 law that was in place before the 8th amendment stayed in place until 2013. The only change in 2013 was to try to give doctors enough clarity about the law to not leave women to die.

The amendment wasn't Fitzgerald's idea. The wording was actually endorsed by FF out of pure political opportunism, he regarded it as deeply flawed (As pointed out by such as Mary Robinson and subsequently proven right), he wanted a different wording, but in a free vote in the Dail the FF-endorsed wording prevailed.

Still though it's a great black mark on his political career that his government were unable to prevent this vile misogynistic amendment being put to the people. It should never have been allowed to happen and was a real low point in Irish politics. Thankfully, ever since the tide has been going out on the power of the Catholic church generally in this country, and politically in particular.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Is this thread about the policy of abortion or about whether the US Supreme Court correctly interpreted their constitution?

I voted for removing the 8th from the Irish Constitution, but it isn't clear to me that the US Constitution has anything to say about abortion. I have read the opinion (Roe and the new Dobbs one) and I have listened to Oral Arguments in Dobbs. As frustrating as it may be, I'm not sure allowing 9 people on the Supreme Court to just decide what the law is without a basis in the text is a good idea.

No idea, it's a tricky one. Would you have to report the rape for example ? or would your word be enough. Why i'm not a legislator tbh. this kind of minutiae of the law is best left to those that understand the ramifications.

This "founding fathers" BS is one of the most ridiculous things about America. As if it's not crazy to attempt to decide 21st century issues by somehow divining the supposed views of a bunch of 18th century slave owners.

No. Not in the EU Parliament. Imagine if Ireland got the same number of MEPs as Germany or Spain?

At the council of ministers, yes, but the EU is not a federal state so comparisons with the US are not valid. Each EU member remains a fully sovereign nation state.

The EU has no jurisdiction over matters like health or abortion or divorce, despite all the scaremongering from conservative catholics in the 80s and 90s that "Europe" was going to impose divorce or abortion on holy catholic Ireland.

Tbh they should have a vote on bining the current one and creating a new one set in this century. but we no that will never happen via dems or reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

What's the alternative? 9 unelected judges decide what they think the law should be? Obviously, amendment is the answer but it's not the judges' fault if the political branch can't manage to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Oh I agree that the Supreme Court shouldn’t be attacked too vociferously, but their reasoning of course can be. In my view, the abdication of responsibility by the legislature (which you very correctly point to) means that the court should step in, not to settle the debate but to provide a balance of the right. That’s what Roe (and Casey) provided — a balance where abortion was allowed under the Constitution until viability, after which the constitutional right expired and the legislature could step in. In a country where getting legislation like this through suffers from bothpractical difficulty and lack of willpower on all sides, Roe / Casey provided a balance. But the effect of this new decision is not balance at all — it is effectively a bald statement that from the moment of fertilisation a woman has no constitutional rights whatsoever as regards any decision not to continue with the pregnancy. The argument that it is balance, or judicial neutrality, seems shakey to me because the Court has actively stripped away a decades-old constitutional right which women have been able to rely on for many, many years.

The dissenting opinion of Justices Breyer et al is a good read. They compellingly argue that the majority’s literalist interpretation of the Constitution means that interpreting constitutional provisions as at the time they were ratified (exclusively by men of course) means interpreting the Constitution as at a time where women had no influence, no say, and no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Unable to prevent' Lol. You're some naif. Fitzgerald was constantly saying things he didn't believe and trying to please multiple powerful interest groups simultaneously including the Roman Church. He kicked the ball into the back of his own net. I know the origin of the amendment. Charles Haughey, Frank McCluskey and Fitzgerald were all broadly supportive of holding the referendum in the first place and then in the end Fitzgerald got cold feet over the wording and voted against it. Is that your idea of principled? Then you accuse me of re-writing history? Get a clue.

That's the big problem. The US constitution is almost impossible to amend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think your memory is a little hazy. The rhetoric pre omicron was becoming increasingly militant, thankfully the bloody virus weakened. Had that not happened when it did we would likely be in a much different situation now.

I think you just don't want to admit there's a connection regarding bodily autonomy. At this stage you're just being belligerent. If you want to continue knock yourself out, the narcissism of lefties never ceases to impress.

Glazers Out!

I don't have your faith in that. Ireland I think has broached the subject and come to the best compromise. But there is nothing stopping a gov seeing where the wind is blowing and changing curtailing or removing this right.

You might point out exactly where I called him principled? That's right, nowhere.

Just in case I hadn't made it clear enough for you, I think the whole incident was a disgrace, and like I said a black mark on his political career.

Again, over the multi-year pandemic name just one Democrat ran US state which brought in jail term for those who simply refused to get vaccinated?

I can provide a big list of 'big-government' Republican run US states who have already brought in laws that would jail women for making choices regarding their own bodies. Some Republican US states were so 'big-government' that they already had trigger laws in place.

Tbh I don't know how they could stop anyone from going to another state. How would they prove what you were doing due to medical privacy. I don't see any court overturning that. So do they rely on snitch on your neighbour ? what then road side pregnancy tests. IIRC only on a Federal lvl your information can be used.

• Advertisement

Political branch is terrible there but this extreme grouping in SCOTUS has shown it is happy to make up reasons at a whim to completely disregard laws when they are put in place when they don't suit their ideology - even if Roe v Wade was codified they would find an excuse to throw it out. For example, they had/have no problem making rulings against gun control laws voted by the states with arguments that wouldn't hold up if they were consistent with their other rulings.

Constantly they flip their interpretation of the constitution to whatever suits the result they want. At this stage it is as clear as day - they have absolutely no shred of ethics when it comes to their role, they start with the result they want and work backwards.

Advertisement