Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭electric_sleep

Because I feel for the Donbas civilians who are caught between a government that despises them and has had no issue with dropping the odd shell on their towns for the past 8 years to remind them so, and a foreign invader that wants to use them to claim Ukrainian territory.

Call me old fashioned but when armed militias sporting stylised wolfshead swastikas are armed and employed by the government to ethnically cleanse parts of east Ukraine within the last decade, that bothers me, and I feel it’s worth mentioning amongst all of the “glory to hero’s” talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So it seems Turkey has dropped its opposition to Finland and Sweden joining NATO.

Good.

Well done Putin, you've fcuked yourself over even more. Lol.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

First off. It's not a regime, and the use of that word is a little rhetorical sleight of hand you're trying to pull. It's a democratically elected government reflecting the will of it's people. And while we're at it, do a little probing to find out how many 'far-right' parliamentarians were elected. The result will dissapoint you given the grandstanding about the huge far right problem in Ukraine.

You're proffered zero evidence that the Ukrainian government is murderous as you claim. And you're not going to because it's absolute horsesh*t.

Putinist. We see you. Your sock character may be one where you pose as a 'straight down the line honest broker', but your arse is clearly hanging out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You wrote: "This is bad guy vs bad guy, with innocent people in the middle."

Of course you were drawing a moral equivalence and are just trying to weasel out of it now you've been found out.

You are only back tracking on whatever lies you have been challenged on. It is a tactic seen before by those disseminating Russian propaganda.

You said Ukraine was engaged in ethnic cleansing in Donbas.

This is a lie and if you stand over it you are a liar.

Moscow has launched an illegal invasion of a neighbouring country, has indiscriminately targeted residential cites with widespread attacks, has committed war crimes, has executed civilians in Bucha, has deliberately targeted civilian refuges and medical facilities with heavy weapons. You have drawn a false equivalence between Ukraine's actions in Donbas 2014-2021 and Russia's in 2022, or even for that matter that of Russia and separatists in 2014-2021. An equivalence which is without foundation.

Ukraine is a democracy. It has signed political agreements with the EU committing it to progress on human rights, rooting out corruption, and eventually becoming an EU member state.

Russia is a gangster fascist dictatorship.

To put Ukraine in the same camp as them as equally 'murdering regime' is morally bankrupt, and can only be done through an utterly dishonest misrepresentation of the facts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The best way to show that Donbas is a real part of Russia was to ruin it, and kill vast amounts of people for no reason.

It's what Russia does to its own and always has.

• Advertisement

Given that you’re never going to believe that people in Donbass have suffered persecution, we are at an impasse.

You choose to believe the lads wearing the yellow and black swastikas on black sun symbols were not persecuting the ethnic minorities in Ukraine if it makes you feel better.

I’ll choose to argue the need for a peace treaty that recognises Ukraine’s political reality to be hammered out as soon as possible.

You drop by the thread, say that Russian ethnics are being persecuted, offer up f*ck all evidence because there is none and then fold your arms saying "I guess we just disagree."

Then you call for a "peace" that amounts to a Ukrainian surrender to dismemberment in the face of invasion and murder.

And you're trying to convince anyone that this isn't Putinist toilet seat sniffing? Up the yard.

You've been rumbled good Kremlinite.

I am calling for peace that stops the killing as soon as possible. If you’re against the cessation of violence then that’s on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Call peace ? are we forgetting the UN busses that were fired upon outside of mariupol several times even though there was an agreement to rescue civilians.

• Advertisement

Haha, look at Bishop Desmond Tutu here. Plenty wouldn't believe you.

You've read my posts. This war ends when Putin is ready for serious diplomacy with both Ukraine and the West. Defanged and knowing exactly where his borders are. And that involves a lot more Russian mothers in mourning for their sons.

That's the logic of war, and above all the logic of this war. If you don't like it, you should perhaps meditate on your sleights of hand that makes you more concerned about thoughts of fabricated coups and persecution campaigns that come directly from the active noodlebox of the Russian President and daydreams of Banderites from the 1940s reborn than the war crimes committed in the name Russian ethnics you're so fond of in the here and now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

To paraphrase Admiral Nimitz: "Where is, repeat, where is Russian Air Defense? The world wonders!"

Seriously, I know that the Russian Air Force isn't in the best of shapes, to put it mildly. However, why on Earth do they not have aircraft flying Combat Air Patrol behind the border 24/7? Surely, there are at least SOME of the 600 aircraft of the Fulcrum and Flanker family that Russia has in its active inventory that can be ordered to fly CAP next to an active war zone? I mean, it's not like the Ukrainian Air Force has been neutralised, far from it. If this does turn out to be a Ukrainian air attack of some sort, then it really makes me wonder just how hollowed out the Russian armed forces really are. Not a good picture for Russia.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Are you familiar with the concept of "scale" ?

i.e. the biggest, baddest thing is the biggest, baddest thing

No need to go into any more depth while civilians are being killed and maimed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It strikes me that Putin has absolutely poisoned things for ethnic Russians in Donbas for decades to come. It will take that amount of time for relations between Ukraine and Russia to normalise and those guys will be stuck bang in the middle of the stand off.

They would also do well to remember what happened to the people of the Sudetenland after WW2. For deciding they wished to be part of a fascist regime and ruled by a tyrant, they lost everything - their homes, their belongings, tens of thousands were killed and the Sudetenland effectively ceased to exist and was wiped from the map.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Not sure what was unclear about the below instruction (it was also PM'd to you). You are now forum banned for one week. If you post in this thread again once the ban expires you will receive a permanent forum ban

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Terrorist attack on a shopping center in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

No that's a back view from a utility yard.

This is the front view from yesterday. Targeting civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The regime caught out in a huge lie.....surprise, surprise. They insisted today that the shopping centre had not been hit by a missile but instead accidentally caught fire from another missile strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Don't be daft. According to the Russians, the flash of light and explosion was swamp gas from a weather balloon which was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the explosion of light from Venus or something something.

• Advertisement

• Asking Russians on the street how much they think the war costs, its an interesting insight into their reactions, its obvious quite a few dont agree with the war but are afraid of the repercussions if they speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the current Ukraine government have been democratically elected, this is since the so called coup that you and others state took place.

You also seem to be doubling down on the claim that the Ukranian government are trying to ethnically cleanse parts of Ukraine.

I've no doubt that some Ukrainian forces have been far from saints in this conflict, also their may well have been far right leaning groups involved.

But you are specifically claiming an orchestrated attempt of ethnic cleansing by the Ukranian government. Have you anything to back up this assertion?

This war is 1000% the result of Putin and Russian terrorism.

But you can't help but think the chance was there back in Bucharest in 2008 to grant Ukraine and Georgia (MAP) Nato membership.

Bush was for it. The Eastern European states were absolutely for it. But France and Germany at the time blocked it. So much so that the Polish head called out the German authorities of appeasement of Putin and Russia. And did they not know their history. The German authorities were very put out by that at the time. But seemingly not put out enough re Scholz present times.

When Russia invaded Georgia and the French president negotiated a ceasefire and an end to the war (by threatening European forces to aid Georgia). Russian forces restarted their push on for the Georgian capital. It was only an intervention by Bush to threaten 🇺🇸 aircraft over Georgia that stopped the Russians and abide by the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

That's very quickly achieved by Russia ceasing it's invasion and returning to its own territory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The BRICS? 🤣 Brazil? A fecked nation with one percent of the world's economy. India, don't make me laugh. A nation where they have to advise people not to crap on the streets and the wealth gap is enormous and they've played both sides of the Cold War(though to be fair, fair play). South Africa? Yeah, they're doing great...

And China. The only actual economic power involved and one that is facing the largest asset bubble in world history and is entirely reliant on the "West" to survive. And the cleverest in that bunch by a long margin. They well know which side their bread is buttered on and are all too happy to keep it spreading in the right direction. The only way they see Mother Russia is as a potential firesale and a distraction for the US to their own local purposes. And that 15%? Which is bollocks BTW, are unfortunately for Mother Russia the percentage that actually matters.

And Russia. The largest nation on the planet with the most natural resources, but with the economy of Italy and an ever dwindling brain drain and demographic. Those resources certainly never made its way into the average Russian's pockets did it? Russia operating on a you break it, you pay for it basis? Given they're the ones doing most of the breaking and they can't afford it. They can barely afford their own upkeep, well save for massive dachas and yachts for the chosen few. So a pariah state for the majority of the world's economy, squeezed on a near weekly basis, with their oil and gas there only bargaining chip, one that is being eroded on the same near weekly basis? Yeah that will be interesting.

And your glorious leader putin rasied the old aged pension recently, which was touted as a Great Thing to his loyal subjects, only because he needs to keep his fanbase sweet because of inflation from the same sanctions that aren't having an effect?

The fact you're rubbing your hands in glee at "our" demise come autumn is all the putin lover indicator I need to read. That and the spellcheck, but not quite. The veil is lifted.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement

• Its interesting that Putin was afraid of Bush but not of Obama or Biden, I think this was because of the Iraq war.

I think France and Germany at the time were afraid that Ukraine would be like Belarus is now, essentially another Russian puppet state. Therefore it would render NATO useless. There was also a time when Russia wanted to join NATO for the same reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement