Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

We keep getting told their is no magic money tree anytime the opposition propose anything.

Have the Govt a secret magic money tree they can dip into when required that they think we could join NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Certain countries spend next to nothing on their NATO membership (Luxembourg and Iceland for example), and there's no one compelling them to even try to meet NATO defence spending targets. They enjoy Article 5 protection, defence cooperation and intelligence sharing arrangements all the same.

Defence spending is the strict preserve of each sovereign nation. No magic money trees required.

As an aside, is anyone else noticing the ressurection of the magic money tree patter among our politicians? Heather Humphreys was out in her aborist regelia pruning the non-existant tree yesterday in the media.

It truly is Schrödinger's tree. It exists! Wait, it exists not! A wonderful tree when rendered in watercolour.

Flanagan calls for Option 2 immediately and pathway to 3. Given he’s a unionist at heart does this mean a formal bilateral with the UK? At least Defence finally getting the money it’s entitled to. We live in hope.

No to NATO. We're a neutral country, end of. Any politician here trying to push it is moving into treasonous territory.

Puppet politicians (and anybody else) are always free to go fight in a war themselves. But they won't, of course... 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

All clear now for Finland and Sweden to join NATO.

Ireland is now the most vulnerable country in all of Europe when it comes to its own national security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If we truly are the most vunerable country in all of Europe' surely it is a savage indictment of our governing parties that we are not already in NATO?

Why would they leave us vunerable? What are they waiting for there is no need for a referendum...any idea Mark?

Vulnerable because some think there is no need to be in a Security Alliance. The opposition has been shown in recent research to be one of the most friendly parties in Europe toward Russia. They ranked in the top 10% I believe.

Of course, if any party wanted to up the Defence Budget, there would be outcry and talk about the homeless, etc... Again, there was never a call from any of the opposition party to seriously up Irelands Defence spending.

If we are 'truly the most vunerable country in all of Europe' it won't be the oppositions fault if that is found to be true, will it?

Why have the government (you know those guys and gals with the power) not joined NATO if this statement is true Mark.

Pointing at the opposition is not the answer by the way.

There was never really a need to join NATO before, even though Ireland came close in the 1950's.

As the thread title says, "Is it time to join NATO", the question is, is the time right, to join NATO.

You think not, because you see NATO as bad as Putin and Russia, which of course is untrue, ahistorical and right out of the ex-KGB talking points, but alas you are free to your uninformed Putin-Bot point of view. This is Ireland, not Russia ;)

Not answering the question asked again.

Why is that? I know why so won't bother with the usual back and forth.

You believe we are 'the most vunerable country in ALL of Europe' and your government is doing diddly squat about it.

• Advertisement

I'm referring to the thread title Francie.

But, you want to go down the rabbit hole of blame. Clear to see what you are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

To be fair, Coveney and Varadkar have said that the country needs to have a conversation about joining NATO. The problem is that there are reckless opposition politicians whipping up a mob with pitchforks against it. There are examples in history of dangerous opposition politicians whipping up mobs and where it ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

NATO party in Madrid looks like good craic. The Australians and South Koreans were even invited. Everyone plotting the downfall of that scaldy prick in Moscow in sunshine, and we're gazing at our shoes wondering is our neutrality the most righteous thing since the Holy Mary appeared at Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Outsider looking in. Ireland needs to grow up on this topic. Either admit to the EU we are a weak link asking the Brits to dig us out and the Usa. Or take the steps needed to protect Irelands borders. Take for example if the uk enforces there rules on the North there will have to be a border in Ireland to enforce the EU rules. I highly doubt the EU will be paying for that border.

But on other threads you say the opposition are useless and ineffective to defend the government, now you are saying the opposition are effective to ...eh, defend a government who are ignoring what Mark believes to be the case - 'that we are the most vunerable country in all of Europe'.

Cake and eating it methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,082 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You will never get an answer appart from UK/USA or something. Disregarding we sit on the largest internet cables into the EU from the USA with zero power to protect them. So unless the USA is sitting subs off the Irish coast 24/7 they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

I certainly believe we need to get serious about our own defense and security and do so asap but in all fairness I would say the most vulnerable country in the right here and right now in Europe is Moldova.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

We live in a republic. Let us have a conversation and then vote. I will vote not to join nato and very confident that would win. There is more risk of us being in a war in nato than outside.

We have a housing crises. Housing along with food being the only necessity you need to live but some fools want us to spend billions more on defending ourselves against an attack that never will come or getting in another's nations dispute.

Is there any example where a democratic country like Ireland has been invaded by a country it has no cultural history with? The only country we have history with is the UK and considering they want to dump the part of Ireland they have and are also in Nato themselves futher reduces the logic of joining. We are not in the same boat as Finland who were part of the USSR and have russia bordering to its east. That is a no brainer for them but us it makes no sence.

• Advertisement

The threat of physical invasion is very remote no question about that. But the threat of been attacked is not. Russia attacked and caused upwards of 100m euro in damage to our health system with their cyberattack never mind the actual damage it caused to people because of the disruption to health services.

But first and foremost the argument I hear about well we should not spend the money on defense its better spent on A B or a C. There is no reason why we cannot fix the fundamental problems we face as a society such as housing and spend the money to develop a legitimate and capable defense and security of our country. It is not an either or situation. We can do both. Further more we are a member of the EU a collective from which we have gained enormous benefit over the decades and from which we of course benefit still greatly. We live in a free and open society and have a democratic system for all its ills that is pretty robust and progressive. We have an obligation and a duty to play our part albeit a small one but nonetheless play our part in defending our democracy and free and open society. To say well the US or irony of ironies the UK will take care of it for us is at best utterly selfish saying sure we want all the benefits of the collective that is the EU but we don't want to pay anything towards the costs of defending that collective.

We spent roughly 1.5% of our GDP during the mid 80's on defense spending now I know that number is distorted these days in Ireland by the multi nationals but we should spend 1.5% of our adjusted GDP on developing a capable and legitimate defense and security capability and do our duty in defending our country and not asking others to pay for what we should be doing ourselves. We live in a partnership with most of our European neighbours who have similar free and open societies and democratic systems and we should all stand together in the face of the sheer evil that is the Russian dictatorship.

Well I would not object to Ireland taking part in an EU defence project. But as long as it was strictly defence and not go into other countries and toppling leaders because it does not agree with its regime etc.

I don't like Nato. Look at the US being the main player. A kid goes into school and shoots a load of his class mates and the reaction in the US is we need to have a gun in every classroom to protect kids against other kids with guns. I don’t want to be in a defence alliance with a nation of people who think like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

"Finland who were part of the USSR"

I really don't remember that part of the history.

As you can tell from above, I never once advocated joining NATO. I am though very much in favour of joining a collective EU defense and security force as well as flat out Ireland developing a legitimate defense and security capability of our own. We are part of the collective that is the EU and we should stand up and play our part in the defense and security of the EU as a collective unit and stand up collectively for the free and open democratic societies we live in.

As for the US I agree with you their society has a real nasty element to it to say the least and their political system is utterly broken and dysfunctional. While for the most part their foreign policy is reprehensible. But and there is a but while I generally disagree with US foreign policy in the case of the current Russian invasion of Ukraine and the attempt at genocide that it is turning into the US are in fairness to them very much on the side of right this time. Plus I will also further add that while I disagree with much of what the US does internationally there is no 2 sides of the same coin when it comes to them and the Russian dictatorship. The Russian authoritarian regime is utterly evil and is a menace to free and open societies and democracy period end of story. The US are not in general the good guys either but they most definitely are not anything like the Russians.

Finland was part of the Russian empire until 1917. Also invaded by USSR in ww2

We have people here contending that we are 'the most vunerable country in ALL of Europe' but who want to blame the opposition for not doing anything about that rather than the current government who are free to join NATO when they want.

Is there any chance that the ' we are the most' this or that, is all just shrill scaremongering, do you think?

Don't forget the opposition in Ireland in the form of Indo4Change and SF are among the most pro Russian/Putin politicians in the entire EU. One has to wonder do they have an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The important thing is we're still pissing almost 30 billion a year up against the wall on the frankensteins monster that is the HSE.

Best little country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The EU defence initiative is just the French looking to be set up a rival to NATO that they can be in charge of, given that the Brits and Yanks won't let them have a turn in the driving seat of NATO. Like all things EU, mucho bucks and no bang for them.

• Advertisement

But the government is preaching one thing and was patently doing another before Russia's second invasion of sovereign territory. They were allowing the wholesale movement of Putin's cash and tripping over to Russia to beg his support.

One has to wonder at their ulterior motives, no?

If we are the 'most vunerable country of all Europe' why are they not front and centre in advocating for NATO membership Mark? Have they been caught sans trousers again, running with the hare and hunting with the hound?

Advertisement