Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy for twins

Options
  • 26-06-2022 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just recently discovered that I'm having twins, this is my first pregnancy so I've a lot to learn.

We are finding it difficult deciding what buggy to buy. I like the vista 2 however I know it may not be practical as the kids get bigger/older.

My husband thinks we should go for a side by side buggy, something like the mountain buggy or baby jogger, however while I think these would be great options when the children are a little older, I don't think they look particularly comfortable for new borns.

I like the convenience of placing the car seats onto the vista 2 and fact it will fit through all doors, pathways etc.

My view is it may be best to go with the vista or something similar and then move onto a side by side when the children are a little older, my husband thinks that sounds like a waste of money and we're better off going with a side by side from the start.

Would love to hear what other twin parents did or their experience with either option.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We didn't have twins, but we had a Vista and used it as a double buggy and would recommend it. IMO it is far more practical than a side-by-side. Having as buggy can be a nuisance sometimes, having a buggy that doesn't fit through most doors or on a lot of paths just seems like a pain to me.

Our 4 year old still fits in it when it's in the double configuration no problem.

It'll be 3 or 4 years before you struggle with the double configuration, and at that stage you might decide to just ditch the large buggy / travel system entirely and just buy 2 lightweight strollers instead.

Only downside to the Vista is the weight. It is heavy, but it's a mule. 2 kids, changing bags, coats, shopping etc underneath, no bother to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Vista here, for 21month age gap.

Love it.It's heavy but I can't say I found any double buggy that was lighter.

We also had an Out and About Nipper double for a bit - lovely buggy, but didn't hold nearly as much as the Vista, which is an absolute workhorse.The Nipper also has inflated tyres so...punctures...which is not a problem with the Vista.

Side by side can be awkward in shops and on pavements.Single is easier that way.We have used the Vista on every surface including sand, with no problems.

The downside of the vista double is that it can be heavy to steer with the two in it.But that being said, I had a bigger toddler and a smaller baby so the weight tended to be down at the front with the toddler - with two the same size, you probably won't notice that as much til they are bigger.

I still have a vista in the boot.My youngest is 4 and likes to hop in and out of it, so we got 8 years from ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

Do not go for a side to side buggy under any circumstances absolutely nightmare for shops and pathways. I dont have twins but my friend does and she had to get buy a stacked one a month after they were born.

Now I know with twins it's hard to get out by yourself anyway but you can go nowhere with a double buggy.

I have a 5mth old and I barely fit at times down aisles in shop with a normal buggy.We also walk loads and I don't think people realise how narrow pathways are. When my newborn was small and really cranky popping him in buggy and quick spin around the block was great.

No disrespect to your husband but you will be the one on your own with them for most of your maternity leave so you need to be able to leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

You can place car seats on to the mountain buggy duet. You can also place two parent facing carry cots on it. This would give it a distinct advantage over the vista as you would be able to see both babies at all times. The Carrycots are smaller than the vista but my baby got about 4 months out of it and was a 9lber at birth. The vista is significantly clunkier than the duet. A little confused about people saying they're impossible in shops, the duet and vista are the same width. I've never had any issues getting through a door or round a shop with the duet. The basket in the duet is quite small but then all baskets are small in comparison to the vista!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks everyone, it seems like a lot of twin parents go for the stacked option initially and then move onto a side by side when the babies are a little bigger.

@anndub youre right the duet is the same width of the vista, maybe it's just perception but it just feels bigger.

Has anyone any experience of the coupla duo? We are looking at this now as it seems quite similar to the vista but just not as pricey, given that we might change to the likes of a mountain duet when they are bigger, the coupla could be a good option now,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

My wife is on the shorter side so a stacked didn’t work. Did our homework and got the Bugaboo Donkey. It’s a side by side but can fit in a regular doorway and lasted them great from new born to toddler. It also gets a good resale price if you keep it in good condition.

We also had a car adapter to fit our car seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I actually saw a woman struggle to get her double buggy through a doorway yesterday...scratched the sides of the the buggy very badly...just something to think of for resale etc.

I have a Vista, never used as a double though, but very comfortable to use and warranty etc very good.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not just perception.

The 2 buggies are the same width at the wheels, but the vista, like most buggies, tapers significantly and is a lot narrower above the wheels. The duet is the same width the whole way up, so it is much more likely to bump into things and be awkward in doors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Most people don't have prams and buggies very long. So there's lot of value in used, second hand buggies.

We had a tandem (forget brand) which was great for shops etc, but was heavy and bulky not that great a roller for long walks etc. So when the kids got bigger we picked put a side by side "out and about" for longer trips. So we had both, and could just pick right buggy for the trip.

Advertisement