Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DieterDicht

Hello,

Just to contribute some information for battery yes/no. Please see info on the first days running the system, might be 4 days.

Living in the West and the sh..t weather, the battery has certainly so far paid off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When are you retiring?

With such a large system and small battery you'll export a huge amount.

Retirement is still a few years away but single digit.

I do not mind to feed a big amount into the grid (as it will be only in summer). The big system will provide benefits in winter when days are much shorter and weather even more sh..tty. By the way I can always buy more storage capacity (waiting on the price to come down).

And without sounding too controversial. The planet needs us now. I am in the position to pay for it and therefore I really do not mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Good man "And without sounding too controversial. The planet needs us now. I am in the position to pay for it and therefore I really do not mind."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Controversial? Nahh - more of that type of behavior please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Mod note (added to first post also)

We have become aware that certain posters may be recommending suppliers in exchange for financial reward. This runs against the spirit of the forum and is dishonest.

Please be aware that if you receive an unsolicited PM recommending a company and offering a referral code for discount, this is not an unbiased recommendation and that person may be receiving payment for their referral.

If you do receive a PM like this, please contact @Jonathan or @DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

I've been PM'd by a few people asking who I used for my fit as I have nothing but god things to say about the company that fitted my solarPV.

I've told each who it was, and provided contact details. I've also told them to say it was me that referred them.

I have not received any monetary compensation.

I realise it goes against the rules of the forum, but frankly I never understood the reason behind this.

I was given the opportunity to add the company to the list of companies that forum users have utilised, but sadly I could not edit the list, and despite saying so publicly, got no assistance in this.

So if I've been reported for my sins, fair play. But just to confirm, I received no monetary compensation for this. I simply wanted to pass on details of a good company, well run and not excessively expensive. I hope it helped those who asked.

This is my last post. Please remove/ban me as a member of this forum, having broken the rules, I won't be back to poke myself in the eye with people's responses!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

@BoxerX There is absolutely no issue with replying to PMs that you have received requesting details of who installed your system.

The issue that we are tackling is unsolicited PMs.

@BoxerX

As @Jonathan says, if someone contacts you and you reply, that's perfectly OK. And as you say, you're receiving no incentive.

The issue we have faced here is that there are some people sending unsolicited PMs including discount codes in order to drive business to certain companies and those companies may be rewarding them for doing so.

This is entirely against the spirit of the forum. Any and all advice given here should be unbiased and independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'm vacillating between a 5.2kWH and an 8.2kWH battery for a 6.24kW array - was thinking that a larger batter would take advantage of the Irish rain / sun / rain / sun weather - but now I'm thinking to match battery to theoretical maximum hourly usage - which should not really exceed 5kW I'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Start with a 5kwh battery and see how you get on. With the feed in tariff coming on line the larger battery might not make sense. But only time will tell.

When I committed to the 8.2kW battery rumour had it that FIT would be nominal, i.e. 3c; but now that it's looking like 14c, yes, I think it's best to save the money on battery!

Unless you have the consumption (I'm 10,000+/year) I think dropping down to 5Kwhr battery and spending part of the money on 2x extra panels is what I'd do.

But if you have the consumption, then even with a FIT of €0.14/unit a battery still makes a lot of sense. I filled my 8.2Kwhr battery yesterday from solar, and it got me to midnight (8% left). I'm with SSE and it's €0.31 for day rate, so hypothetically if I exported a unit at €0.14 only to "buy it" back at €0.31 later on in the day, it's still advantageous - if you have the consumption to deplete your battery.

The whole FIT thing has complicated the math on payback. We'll have to see where the dust lies when they announce things like the standing charges associated with these "FIT tarrifs" amongst other things, but a small-medium battery is (probably) a decent purchase for most people. It's really hard to know. I'd advise (as I've always done) for people to do the math.

Unless your over 10K/year in consumption it's hard to see the payback for 8.2Kwhr I think with the new FITs.

We have a heat pump, so we're around 8,000 units per year, but that fluctuates annoyingly.

We use a standard 15 units per day all year round, and the heat pump goes from +10 in deepest winter, to +0 in high summer.

So when we have least sun, we have most electricity requirement!

So I think the battery won't help us when we need it most, in deepest winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

if you have a night meter you can charge the battery at the night rate and then use this during the day, differential could be 12c or more (I think) depending on what tariff your on. So save another €1 or so a day during the winter (with an 8kwh battery), it all adds up, could be another €100 0r more a year

You might know this, but the capacity of a battery and the charge discharge rates are two different things. Compare it to a bath that holds water, you can increase the bath tub (battery capacity) but the amount of water you can let out is still the same. On my system the max amount the battery charges/discharges is around 70A. Using a 48V battery you can calculate max power 48V*70A=3360W. Also keep in mind that the batteries are never fully discharged (rule of thumb you only use 80% of nominal capacity). The other watch out is the C-rate,which to prolong battery life should be at 0.5. This will mean with a 5.2KWh battery your max charging/discharging is 2.6KW. Stand to be corrected on all the above, but this is how my installer explained to me.

I have edited post and uploaded screen shot to illustrate what I described above.

While your correct in general, unfortunately that's not entirely true. We might be going a little away from the "quotes" theme here, but some manufacturers over provision the battery.

For example, take the Givenergy 8.2Kwhr battery, well under the hood it's actually closer to a 10Kwhr, but it's marketed as a 8.2Kwhr battery. So you can do 100% "depth of discharge" and get your 8.2Kwhr, but in reality your probably only using 85% of that 9.8Kwhr (or whatever it is under the hood). This is also how they guarantee after 10 years 0% loss in capacity. Again, the actual capacity under the hood might be 9.8Kwhr, and after 10 years, that will drop to (say) 8.8Kwhr, but you can still have your 8.2Kwhr if you want as they've taken the hit on the "extra" behind the scenes.

Likewise as you mention, 2x smaller batteries can be somewhat advantageous for that very reason of charge/discharge rates. You might by 2 x 2.5Kwhr Polytech batteries and install them in parallel. So you would get 5kw discharge rate, instead of being limited to 2.5kw rate if you only had 1 big 5.0 Kwhr battery

@bullit_dodger

Point taken. To bring it back to the quotations. I believe most companies quote the nominal battery capacity and not the actual usable size.

@bullit_dodger - do you know the C-Rating for those LiFePO4 Givenergy batteries? In the brochure it says "0.5C-1C charge and discharge rate", which is a little vague...

All the LiFePO4 batteries have the same basic chemistry.

When the installer was here installing my one, i asked him a ton of questions. Very helpful chap. I asked him if it really made a difference and I should charge at 0.5C rate, or can I go 1.0C. His response was....

"If you have the time....lets say you have 8 hours to charge the battery on night rate, then there's no real advantage in charing at 'full whack', so might as well charge the battery a little easier and slower over a longer period, but in reality batteries aren't really hurt by charging at 1C. We do this most of the time when the sun is out and we charge at whatever the inverter can store in the battery. They'll last years using 1C , with 1000's of cycles."

Lot of the inverters you can set the charge rate (or the power draw) as you want. 1500watts or 2500watts etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Strategically, you may want to limit the charging in order to allow more excess, for EV charging, to fill the battery over the whole day.

Post edited by championc on

Aha - so it's configurable... Thanks. I find batteries ever more confusing the more I learn about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

Quote 1:

14 * 410w Jinko Type N black Panels (5.74kw)

Solis 5kw Inverter

Eddi + Harvi + hub

BER

€9,100

+ 5kw Puredrive battery

€11,500

Quote 2:

14 * 370w JA Mono (5.1kw)

Solis 5kw Inverter

Eddi

No BER

5kw Puredrive battery 

€10,380

Quote 3:

10 * 410w Jinko Type N black Panels (4.1kw)

4kw Huawei inverter

Eddi

BER

€6,800

+ 5kw Huawei battery 

€11,700

Any opinions on above?

Also what exactly is the Harvi for? Looks like something for wireless connectivity for the Eddi? Only Quote 1 mentions it. Is that a standard with an Eddi and in other quotes or something extra I'm getting in quote 1?

QUOTE 1 is the one for me. With the battery. Just make sure its a puredrive if you go with that. Many are getting a different battery when the install happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daveq

Sorry, should have said that! All are after the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭vistaphotos

Quote 1a - after site visit

12 Panel PV System - 360 Watt Panel - 4.3kW System - 6 east, 6 west

6 optimisers (tall chimney casting shadow on western aspect)

Hybrid Inverter

5kWh battery

Socket from battery

Eddi

€12882 pre grant/€10482 post grant

Haggling to be done I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Quote today

7 panel 2.7kwh system (this is all roof space allows)

Eddi

BER

No battery. €6,950 after grant

Seems pretty expensive? What would you expect to pay?

• Advertisement

Even allowing for the Eddi and BER it shouldn't be more than €4k or €4.5k max.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement