Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

The Overton window has well and truly moved to the far right in the UK. While the tories have become UKIP, in both policy and competence, Labour seem determined to turn into what the Tories used to be.

Shadow minister David Lammy (who I’ve had a lot of time for in the past) stated categorically today that workers who had their pay cut by 10% during the pandemic shouldn’t have it restored (i.e. they should be subject to an effective 20% pay cut including inflation) and as a party of government Labour would oppose it.

When did Labour become the enemy of the workers and the unions? As the Unite union put it in a statement: “Supporting bad bosses is a new low for Labour and once again shows that politicians have failed. It is now down to the trade unions to defend working people. We are their only voice.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True. Where Johnson goes to after his dabbling in power will be interesting. GB News? Ok I'm being a tad facetious.

Jesus. I'd also have time for Lammy but that's a horrendous take & opinion. As you said Labour have slipped so far to the right in their eagerness tto appeal to all, it's depressing. Wish the train strike WAS Keir Starmer's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

To much work to be on GB News; I'd expect "writing" (as in put the name to something ghost written for him) on a Telegraph style newspaper once a week along with a consultant gig on some committee / company or similar to lift money for name only style setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Eventually the Unions still affiliated will Labour will ask what's the point and pull the plug, and if they do Labour's already dire financial woes will become even more stark.

Starmer will be popping round to Anthony Charles Lynton Blair's gaff looking for a bail out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

I knew they lost a bit when the Corbyn members left but didn't realize it was that much money.

Should just start tapping up the Russians like the Tories do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I have vague recollections of the Conservatives being broke after the 2001 GE and there was a bit of a row in the way the party had an extended overdraft due to connections with their bank's chairman. Dirty Russian cash wasn't quite the thing back then.

God knows how the LibDems are surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Good loser

Reading Kleptopia by Tom Burgis.On page 161 he says Blair's services to Kazakhstan (president Nazarbayev) were said to cost $13 million per year. And he got $1 million from Glencore (mining company) for a 3 hour talk with Qatari p.m. Also that he was worth $90 million ten years after he resigned as p.m.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Mad scenes in Westminster today, now you are not allowed to have any noise protests around government buildings in the area thanks to a new anti protest law by the Tories.

So the Met, decided to send about 20 of their officers down there to remove the amplifier that the protestor was using. Good to see that the Met can find 20 officers to stop someone protesting against the government on the day her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services have put them in special measures.

The question of who do they serve and who do they protect has never been more apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,004 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well I am shocked.

They are such idiots and they will never learn. Most people who pass guys like Bray see them as nothing more than a novelty.

This clip has more power than that guy standing outside protesting for the rest of his life.

Some people frown at it or tut but all this lying crying "your pushing an officer" from the police is why every kid now whips out his camera phone when someone is being arrested.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why were there no police when the parties breaking Covid lockdown laws were going on in No 10? They were not to be had because - well because.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Was avoiding the news the last few days, but I just saw Theresa May gave a very fine little speech about how damaging the Northern Ireland protocol bill is, how it would undermine the UK’s global reputation and is illegal… and then she didn’t vote against it. She really is absolutely pathetic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus 71 other Tories IIRC; cowards the lot of them, but IMO the newspapers deserve stink-eye for reporting this supposedly barnstorming speech, without also headlining how May still abstained like the toadie she is. Wonder which was she more afraid of: the Whip, or some thick-nosed constituent giving off to her on the street 'cos he has to queue in the airports now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd say if she's worried anything regarding irate constituents, it's being brutally murdered as has happened to Jo Cox and David Amess. This makes it all the more strange that she spoke up and then did nothing. Easier to just take the money and go I would have thought.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Not strange that she spoke up at all - anything to twist the knife in Johnson. I’d say that she’s only hoping to still be in the parliament to watch Johnson get dispatched.

Old BJ spiked the story in the Times because his then mistress Carrie was giving him a BJ. Less worried about the giving her a cushy job angle and more worried about the blow job angle.

God bless Private Eye.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deputy Chief Whip has resigned the role - but not his seat - over groping accusations. If he does resign his seat it could easily go - was Labour '97-'10.

The 87 majority is already 75. Albeit that's still far too high to drip away like happened to Major (and Callaghan), any further losses bring the potential of losing specific contentious votes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,660 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Eugh and he has form.

It’s the second time that Pincher has quit the Tory whips office after he allegedly made an unwanted sexual pass at a former Olympic rower while wearing a bathrobe....

• Advertisement

Wait the guy up on a groping accusation is called Pincher 🤣

That's almost as good as what Anthony Weiner got up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The UK exports have fallen to record low levels since brexit (quell surprise)

current account deficit has surged from 2% to over 8%

The GBP surely must be overvalued at this point

Well, despite the threat to send illegals to Rwanda - but it's actually a great place, honest - June still saw 3,000 cross the channel, totally 7,000 or thereabouts since Patel announced her scheme. Apparently the numbers are double that of 2021.

Clearly this was never more than theatre for the Daily Express crowd, shipping the brown people off to a suitably scary sounding place who might take a bribe incentive to ingest the migrants. Actually tackling the smugglers and working cooperatively with France etc would take time, strategy and more money. But the fact it hasn't even remotely shifted the needle speaks volumes. Of course it wouldn't; a desperate family leaving Syria isn't going to be picky - let alone be informed of British current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭deezell

You couldn't make it up. According to the indo he's also been stripped and had his whip taken away? Or has he been Stipped and Whipped? British Public school/Eton style. By a John Cleese lookalike probably. I bet he enjoyed that. Nothing like thrashing a parliament 'member' , of the British Conpervative party.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 32,660 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Parish was guilty. Pincher has not been found guilty yet.

So to indulge in pragmatism, cos we know where this will go if accusations linger ... How safe a seat is Tamworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,842 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

Safe enough then? unless the pendulum is swinging that viciously even that majority isn't safe. Obviously the accusations and veracity of the crime make the political edge ultimately trivial, but this lot of Tories won't do the right thing unless they think their seat is safe - especially after the last 2 by-elections.

Advertisement