Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolutely, bit of token money to the European tour while they continue to steal all the best European players over to the PGA tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

I guess the European tour feel they either get more into bed with pga tour, fly solo or get into bed with liv. Flying solo and they’ll probably crash

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anything that hurts Liv is a good thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

European Tour is now effectively The Korn Ferry Euro Edition.

Play well in the European Tour...secure a top 10 finish...move to the PGA and forget all about the DP World Tour.

They'd have been better off getting into bed with LIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭abff

Upcoming change in the World Rankings system will be the final nail in the coffin for the DPWT. I don't see why they had to remove the minimum points award for DPWT events when they were bringing in the other changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

It is been like that for years. They just got there via world ranking points

When has it not been? Name one player in the last 10 years who turned down the PGA Tour after playing well on the European. Would Lucas Herbert be back at the Irish Open if he wasn't defending. I don't think he would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There was no automatic PGA playing card though, now it's straight in with a card. Lot's of well performing ET players would not gain a PGA Card as they still had to commit to ET events and did not gain enough PGA points to earn card

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Exactly! Now that the full PGA tour card is guaranteed to the top 10 who don't already have it...they can sail into the sunset and forget about the DP World Tour...for one year at least.

..and they will, and who could blame them, the money is vastly different and the weather, oh the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭OEP

The money will be a lot more than the KFT though do you might get more Americans chancing the ET instead. Still a feeder tour, but it has been for years now and has really gone to the dogs since covid

At 10over I’m not too surprised at Padraig missing the cut, but JT on the same score!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Watching the Scottish open really makes you realise how we are missing a trick by not having the Irish open on links.

The desert swing is in winter time, you have the florida swing for another example leading up to the Players, we could be part of the links swing in july. Such a missed opportunity

Missed opportunity for who?

It was on a links for many years, was it any better?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yes, hugely, Rahm won it twice, he doesn't want to come to Ireland to play parklands

There must be an opportunity to do so, as the Irish Open exit survey asked which courses you would like to see the Irish Open at and Lahinch, Portstewart, County Down and one other links course were options, Adare was there too.

Why? He's happy enough to play parklands in the US, what's wrong with here?

Reality is the links courses and their members don't want it also the players don't want to play 3 links tournaments in succession.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The players want the links practice ahead of the open and while they might not play all 3 tournaments in a row. Look at all the pictures of the players playing ballybunion, tralee and other courses this week. They want links practice.

Looking at recent irish tournaments, the last 3 all had Strength of Field in the low-mid 100s. When it was on links in the 3 previous, Strength of Field was between 200-300. When it was a royal county down, SOF was north of 300. The only time a parkland in the last 10 years has had a SOF above 200 was 2016 when Rory got all the buddies to come over to watch him win in the kclub.

The best golfers in the world want to play links ahead of The Open. It's obvious

Obviously being a Rolex event helped too, but if it's a links every year two weeks before the Open, you can guarantee the field will be a hell of a lot better than currently.

Plenty of players don't like to play the week before a major, so for those the Irish Open on a links two weeks before would be perfect prep.

Mcllroy was able to get a few stars from the US by asking for favours, they never played an irish open for practice. I remember watching Rickie Fowler is County Down, thermals, gloves and 2 hats, said to a few that he isn't coming back and he hasn't!

Might move to the week after the open next year and I think that would be a good move.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Do links clubs want to host an Irish open?

Have ballybunion, tralee, baltry etc come forward and offered their club/course to the organisers?

Maybe they don't want to host it?

Honest question.

Would it really increase income to many clubs that have already very full timesheets?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Back to the K Club anyway I believe next year

They don’t, apparently, such a shame, even lesser know tracks like Ballyliffin is better than Mt Juliet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

which players want to play links competition. Different playing different links courses over a few days than 5 days on same course with lots of media attention and asks to do.

After the British open unless you give them a bigger than normal wheelbarrow they’re going home back across the Atlantic

Does anyone got names or is it just hearsay

Love to see Ricky qualify for The Open, strong day today required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭paulos53

James Sugrue is the latest player to have his golf clubs go missing at an airport. However it has done him no harm so far.

He got a lend of a set from Mikko Illonen and shot 7 under to take a 1 shot lead on the Challenge Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

That's crazy to think he'd do that with borrowed clubs, shows how good those guys are now that you can hand them anything and they can score well. Not like most of us here that think the clubs are the problem every weekend 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Would they not be able to just get another set of the tour truck on site? Sure there at most events.

Probably no tour trucks at challenge tour events.

He may hold onto those clubs, 4 under through 9 holes!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

more in relation to Lowry

Advertisement