Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I have no issue with the idea, I just had not heard of it being proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

It hasn’t been, it’s just part of the recommendations to increase operational usage of the fleet, though I don’t think the suggestion was anything as substantial as ancient posted. As with everything else, who knows if or when it might ever see any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I believe also the former CoDF wss pushing the idea of the west coast base

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

Haulbowline Base and Dockyard consists of One external 60metre Oil Wharf used by default as the only ready for sea wharf. The basin is rectangular in shape with a jetty extended from the entrance NxW to the river. The western side of the basin and the entrance jetty has been acquired by the navy since the closure of Irish Steel holdings. With Four or more ships operational the basin must be used for ships on imminent or actual sailing Orders. This adds difficulties in timings as a ship at the basin entrance ( Spencer Jetty) would block traffic in and out of the Basin. Additionally ships entering the basin can only enter on a Flood Tide. Using the basin for other than repair and lay by was always its intended use as the Basin contains the biggest drydock in the Irish Republic.

A Western manned base for operational ships would be a major asset especially on the arrival of an MRV and visits from Allies. The Navy can only expand outside of Cork Harbour.

I have the document next to me, no mention of it. A lot of people throwing about things the CoDF recommended when there was nothing like it.

Some may have been confused by the submissions to the CoDF, which is not the same thing at all.

West coast: 2 results.

Due to our location as an island off the west coast of Europe, Ireland has an exceptionally large and important maritime and air area of responsibility.

Also

Many of the submissions received by the Commission addressing air capabilities pointed to the absence of a Recognised Air Picture (RAP) and this is also a matter that has received considerable media attention in recent years, principally due to activity off our West coast within Irish controlled airspace (as distinct from sovereign airspace).

See for yourself.

It does however say this:

Allied to this, the Commission believes that a more comprehensive patrol programme would also be facilitated by the establishment of a naval support base or bases, making use of existing port facilities at locations in the west and east, which would allow for faster deployment and would facilitate replenishment of fuel, fresh food and water, and the removal of waste. The location of a support base on the west or east coast, for example, combined with double crewing of vessels, would facilitate ships remaining at sea for longer periods as they would no longer have to return to Haulbowline for replenishment and crew changeover. Such a base would require only a minimum staffing level. The Commission believes that the operation of such a support base would also encourage higher numbers of applicants to join the Naval Service from the local coastal areas where there are traditionally strong community and family affiliations with the fishing industry and the maritime sector generally. 

gov.ie - Report of the Commission on the Defence Forces (www.gov.ie)

East coast is where it will be. We know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Western base seems like a damned good idea to me!

I used the wrong terminoalgy when i said codf, what i meamt was the former chief of the defence forces mark mellet had said before about at west coast base to increase the footprint of the naval service. Ill try and find the interview

Mayo man demands new naval base in Mayo.

I remember the interview and gave him quite a mocking for it.

Beckett is on her way to the Lebanon with supplies for UNDOF and UNFIL according to the Navy Facebook page, looks like containers mounted aft, she’s due to be away for most of a month.

That will leave patrols of irish waters tight with the current ships issue

• Advertisement

It won't really. Flag officer commits to x patrol days at beginning of year. He knows what's available (He has already tied 3 ships up permanently). This trip would have been factored in.

Expect to see more of this as some trips wind down and others are spun up.

Last week the examiner reported they expect the Navy to dip below 800 next month. There will be no need for the CoDF report to be used as the way things are going as there wont be anyone left

WHat about them? Three tied up we knew. Three more, is also not news. The article incorrectly states we have a 8 ship fleet. We have had a 9 ship fleet for some years. Unfortunately we still only have the establishment to crew 7.

1. P31: Tied up, awaiting disposal, to be replaced by MRV/EPV within next 5 years
    2. P41: Tied up, awaiting disposal, to be replaced by IPV in 2023
    3. P42: Tied up, awaiting disposal, to be replaced by IPV in 2023
    4. P51: Operational
    5. P52: In refit
    6. P61: Operational: On Overseas resupply trip
    7. P62: Operational
    8. P63: Operational
    9. P64: Operational

Are they not saying two further ships are going to be tied up as numbers dip below 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Was it Nelson who said: "ships...ships, i see no ships"? Sounds like the scenario at the states one and only naval base! Shameful.

I'm seeing that the one in Refit due to go back out on patrol, and back in refit, will instead not go on patrol, and the two refit periods joined together.

The bigger problem is the tax incentive to retain staff relies on them being at sea for a set period per year. However they cannot achieve this if their ship isn't going to sea, so they leave.

Minister mentioned the west cork base last night in the dail.

In response to Deputy Ó Cuív's questions, we are looking at a naval docking facility on both the east coast and the west coast. It makes sense for lots of reasons. We are looking at what is called double crewing for ships in the future, meaning many more people in the Naval Service but also less time at sea and more time for the ships at sea. In order to do that well, we have to have a base - a mini base, if you will - on the west coast, serving the west coast and north-west coast, and on the east coast, serving the Irish Sea. However, we have not decided on locations for that yet.

Ceisteanna Eile - Other Questions – Dáil Éireann (33rd Dáil) – Tuesday, 28 Jun 2022 – Houses of the Oireachtas

Given the small size of the island, is it really necessary for “mini bases” for crew change overs? Also seems to be confirmation that another ship will be laid up for manpower issues if nothing changes.

Absoultley you need to widen your potential recruitment base . Alot of people view it as the Cork Naval service. West cork seams very close but

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's not just going to be for crew change overs, it will open up the NS as a career option to those not wanting to be based out of cork.

Gven recruitment issues, they should bo located near major population centres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We got Boaty McBoatface, Bradley Barge and Cyril the canoe.

Well then we are into the same as the health sector, every town having its own. Better ramp up the manpower to duplicate the base infrastructure and supports.

That is not an issue once pay and conditions are addressed just like Dublin not everything revolves around Cork

Of course not, however building up multiple bases for a navy that maybe at best could grow to 12 ships is a waste of resources, we don’t have barracks in every town, or hospitals, why is there a need for multiple bases? Any of the ports that handle liners should have the capability for crew transfers. I mean hell if New Zealand with vastly more waters to patrol operates out of 1 naval base explain to me the logic of Ireland needing multiple ones?

1. Recruitment

2. 12 ships could be tight in the naval base

3. The Infasructure is already there say like Killybegs where you only need to build stores and accomdation

4. You would not need many staff to manage the base

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What infrastructure is required to sustain OPVs? The Kiwis have deployed their IPVs to the Pacific Islands in the past, swapping crews by air

They have actual warry stuff to contend with - missiles, torpedo's, helicopters and snazzy sensors - so it follows that everything needs to be concentrated there, given the overall size of their fleet.

I would say the main requirement is a pier to park the ship securely

• Advertisement

Long enough berth to take all lines safely, deep enough so the ship can leave at any tidal state, and enough space ashore to operate mobile cranes, refuelling trucks and any other logistics vehicle, while keeping the berth safe from unwanted visitors. Secure storage compound and some sleeping, washing and laundry facilities with a basic kitchen may also be an advantage where crew changes are involved. No harm having someplace to put the head down if the ship you are joining gets delayed for operational reasons.

Advertisement