Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was wondering about that too. Was he saying the 6499 uses almost 30L/hr? The Kubota was using 15.5L/hr which he said was saving him 14L/hr.

100 hrs @ €1.42

100 * 14 = 1,400 litres

1,400 * 1.42 = €1,988 saving.

Phil used €1.40 - which gives €1,960 he quoted.

How accurate would those usage figures be? I'd assume they'd be close enough to see there is an advantage with the Kubota. Would part of the problem not be closer to the 6499 being an older generation tractor as well as it being a 6 cyl?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

ya, nearly two grand of a fuel saving mentioned, was it for 100 hours?

that’s not to be sniffed at at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Tbh it doesn't sound correct that the 200hp 6499 is consuming twice the amount of diesel than the 4cyl 170hp Kubota.

€20 fuel savings per hour doing the same work?

Over 2000 hours (which would be a decent year for a contractor's tractor) that's a fuel saving of €40,000 doing similar task's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭tanko

I see in todays video he’s saying that the Kubota was harder on diesel than the 6499 with the harrow on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The only way to compare would be record a tank full to what ever hours it does

I couldn’t see the computer being 100% on the fuel usage

6cyl have always says to br more economical than 4cyl on fuel usuage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

The 99 is putting out a good bit more than 200hp. It’s 215 on paper but after recently trying a tested 208hp on the pto FASTRAC on the butterfly mowers and how much it struggled on them we reckon she could be putting out anywhere from 250-270hp on how well she handles the mowers.

also it’s worth noting I was baling in eco in the kubota as I was reassured was perfectly capable of doing so where as the 99 I can’t bale in eco as o was told by many lads the masseys have only light gears driving the eco and will bust under the pressure of a baler.

we tested the 99s computer and it’s pretty much bang on the money. Where as the kubota after the 1st days baling was saying average 11l/h after the 2nd day 15.5l/h and the 3rd day baling it stayed the same. But the fuel it recorded as used seemed to be accurate when we filled it after 3 days baling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Fusion was probably the one Job where the kubota would be easier on Juice and the likes of spraying/fert spreading put her on double mowers, ploughing, heavy haulage work etc the massey would beat it hands down on fuel usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

If anyone looks at Greg Judy Regenerative Farmer - nice video of him on holiday in Dublin getting a horse and trap ride. Guide paying no heed to red lights or cars in his way - pure Dub accent

That makes sense so Phil it was eco vs standard 540 from a fuel use point of view.

I'd be sceptical of the Kubota eco PTO being capable of handling the fusion long term regardless of Kubota's claims

By their very design, ECO PTO gears are not capable of withstanding high torque applications.

The farmers journal should interview him while he is here. They might learn something

• Advertisement

@farmerphil135 - are you now thinking about getting a high HP 4 cyl - or was it just really demo because it was offered?

It was offered as a demo more to get me working with Clarkes than to actually showcase the tractor is how it felt and I didn’t have high expectations going into it. But it genuinely impressed me and yes the next tractor I buy will be a high hp 4 pot Massey but if it didn’t impress me I’d have no hesitation buying the kubota

also note me saying “I buy” not we buy😉

Would that be a 6700 series machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

No. It was my shity attempt at a hint that there might be a more modern 6 pot coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭tanko

Will you still have the butterfly mowers for the heatwave coming next week, perfect timing for all the Glas meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fair play Phil. Of course you’ll make the exclusive reveal on here first!

My money is on a 7618 if it’s a 6 pot or a 6718 if it’s a 4 pot.

Am I close?!!

Having spent the last 3 years watching the farming YouTubers I’m starting to lose interest a bit, much the same from them all. Tom p was my favourite but I can’t relate to him anymore. He had grasstec recently who do a great job and he mentioned his small farm and 1 or 2 videos later his showing off a holiday home his after buying at age 30. The general public will think farmers are minted, I know it’s not his sole source of income but the image. And the time he had a cow stuck in a dike that he happened to come across after evening milking when she wasnt missed, giving out about epa etc not cleaning it out, little mention of bad fencing. He gets away with a lot. He’ll have a new milking parlour and tractor by the end of next year. The funky farmer is the complete opposite. He built a huge lagoon, had 1 video up for a day saying how much he hated having to do it, nearly broke him. Anyone else would have milked videos from it. Puts up videos and says take it or leave it. Never seen him try sell stuff bar his merch. I did enjoys Gerry’s recent videos, say it’s doesn’t come easy for him being in front of a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Im the same as you Red devil. I always watched farming YouTubers after moving to Dublin for college and leaving the farm life behind I suppose. It helped me feel connected to it.

I’ve gone through following a lot of people over the years but now I’ve really just lost all interest in Tom P at this stage.

I think at some point some YouTubers (farming and other genres) just get too big and they stop being relatable for us watching which is always sad to see but someone else will eventually come along and take their place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Hi farmer Phil, watched one of you episodes a while back where you put additives into the slurry tank, did u see any difference in agitation time and grass growth, also like father phil tasty man and good hoker for the machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Same here lost interest in most of them, feckin poor mouths on lot of them and the massive set up and big gear,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Re the mowers they seem to be a pure balls of rig unless you have a 300 plus hp tractor sitting around to drive them, seeing the fastrac on its knees doing 5.5kmh you'd be scratching your head, double pottingers here on a mapped puma 160 in the heaviest of meadows you'll travel at 13kmh a hour with zero issues, lighter multi-cuts 18-20kmh....

Would you rather if given a choice the samsaz butterflies our the double pottingers you demod last year?

On the mowers. I’d prefer to keep the Samasz as the amount of ground I can get through with them is brilliant. 12 acres nice crop 56 mins to mow. With the butterflies and the jd 1360 we mowed 9 acres in 25 mins. I’d be doing anywhere from 7.5 to 11km on the 99. Also we done a dyna test of all the tractors with the Russel’s and let’s just say the results are very interesting.

on the mowers going back I’m waiting for a phone call as I think they’ve been sold. We can’t afford to buy them this year but hoping by next year we’d be able to buy a set minus the groupers and a smaller front mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

I think a lot of it is a fad that took off with covid . People had nothing to do with their time and started watching youtube.

Fairplay to the lads ifarm phil tom etc who were at it then, right time and place and are making money fro. It but i fear it wont last.

One interesting thing i find is gerry6420 was uploading videos 13 years ago before most people

Are you looking to get a set of Samasz or just any set of butterflies and front mower?

Doubles here are averaging 12 acres a hour average field size of 4 acres, biggest field here is 33 acres and you'd have it knocked in under the two hours, the groupers are the only advantage as far as i can see workrate wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yea we’d often mow with 2 10 foots on 2 separate tractors together and would easily be getting anything from 12 - 15 acres an hour depending on crop and field sizes.

A set of butterflies doing anything less than 15 acres an hour in reasonable sized fields would mean you haven’t enough power to drive them.

I know there’s no comparison to a Big M and any other mowing combination but I passed a local 40 acre field back at the start of the first cuts. It was 3.45 when I passed and the Big M was about three quarter way around the second round of the field. I passed back the road and 5 o’clock and there was no sign of the Big M and all of the field knocked. Even if he had only left the field 2 mins before I passed back he still would have had to be doing near 25 acres an hour to have been gone from it by then.

Are groupers much of an advantage now? I thought there was a move away from grouping the grass as it was cut to laying it out to promote wilt and then raking up for either baler or forager/SP.

• Advertisement

About 12 or 15 years ago farmers started to forbid contractors using grouper's on their silage.

Haven't seen a grouper in action in a long time

Advertisement