Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

What does technical testing/onboarding even mean? The document states that mast won't be passed until August. I don't believe that they are going to actually bring fibre to 27 sites without firm orders being made, especially if extra civil infrastructure is required. The fibre will be waiting at the nearest DP if one of the mobile companies wishes to order.

I doubt they are using openeir fibre for their mast product. I don't believe the images you posted have anything to do with NBI. Openeir brought fibre to the mast at some stage, perhaps to "get there" before NBI, perhaps not. eir's mobile division has a presence on the mast along with Three and Vodafone. Maybe Three or Vodafone are potential NBI customers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

August is the commercial launch date as we know so I assume they are doing pre-launch testing and that is where the 27 mast technical testing come into play. Unfortunately the deployment file disappears behind the wall after commercial launch so we won't see the deployments after that. I'll have to pay a visit sometime during August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Does anyone know if we're due a large forecast update anytime soon? I think there might have been a reforecast done late last Summer?? A friend saw an NBI van checking poles outside his house in the last month but his area is marked as 2025 / 2026. He went down to the guy checking and he mentioned that he was surveying for the road and FTTH should be in the area in about 12 months so obviously not in line with the 2025 / 2026 forecast. While I don't expect it will actually go live in the next 12 months would they actually be surveying areas that aren't due until 25-26 and telling people to expect it sooner?

No, they confirmed that they are sticking to the 7 year rollout plan for now at least. In late 2020/21 they said they were reviewing the the rollout with the possibility of pulling it back to year 6 or even year 5, but they confirmed earlier this year, probaly at their appearance before the Oireachtas committees in Jan and Feb. Basically catching up on the time lost due to Covid.

Surveying is moving at pace, approx 60% complete, but surveying is a long way from construction and the 13% ready to order/pre-order.

Looking at the Committee discussion with NBI back in Jan

We are still working on acceleration of the programme. As Mr. Hendrick said in his opening statement, we got agreement with Eir to give us additional capacity in the ducting and the poling for a go-forward position. Most of the ducting will be absorbed into bringing the programme back on track to get us up to the seven years. To accelerate beyond seven years is contingent upon one of two things happening. Either we can get additional capacity from Eir to go faster with the Eir Make Ready works so that we can come behind that or we get what we would call a self-install product that is fit for purpose in the market.

We are due back to engage with the Department in June to discuss where we are at that time. It is all dependent upon whether we can get increased capacity or self-install. We would be aiming to do it in the six years, if we can pull that in

We have capacity to get back on track for a seven-year programme. There will be a glide path back to the end of the seven years in that NBI will catch right back up. If we get additional capacity, we can start eating into that much more quickly.

The plan is still seven years. When we talk about the seven-year roll-out and plan, it is sometimes forgotten we are now two years into that. The seven years left to go is really five years.

Post edited by The Cush on

There are five areas listed as "Survey Complete" with a due date of Jan 2025 - Dec 2026 so it seems they do survey that far out. Listening to guys on the ground is generally a waste of time.

There was an update about two weeks ago. By my count 50 deployment areas had their deadlines pushed back, some by months, some by years. Two were brought forward, both in Cork, Hare Island with 59 premises and Long Island with 25 premises.

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

To be honest I thought it was too far fetched myself only that it's just outside of a current IA due to go live between Oct and Dec and I didn't expect they'd survey that far out. Going by educated guesses here about 18 months ago it was one of the next IAs to go to build but its now gone to the bottom of the pile. It'll probably never go live anyway at the current rate

So, on going at the moment. Nothing really new since earlier this year, lots of numbers.

Two pilot projects due to begin afound July, urban infill over leased fibre lines and a wireless infill. Two providers in the running.

Urban leased fibre lines will be more expensive but the number of premises located in the infill areas makes this financially doable. The rural infill areas, beyond where eir stopped, low number of premises, not an option to connect into the end of the eir network due to rental cost and iirc performance visibilty over 25 years and integration of the two networks being issues.

Not exactly sure where wireless infill comes in.

Just over 14,000 premises connected.

Very relaxed atmosphere in the committee room, even jovial, questions being asked and answered and unlike previous discussions only two people from NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

P.Hendrick was saying that they had no bidder for 'adjacent' or 'gap' areas, but they would continue exploring alternative providers for urban infill and the rural extension (wireless for the islands I think).

"https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1OyKADEnOzOxb" 33:00 mins

...and he didn't explain what ComReg's interim 'alternatives' would be, but claimed there was improved performance on FWA networks due to lower contention because of migration to NBI-FTTP .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Update (in bold)...

Area: West Wicklow. Specifically the lane I live on. Blessington DA.

September 2020: One man and an Actavo/NBI van doing a survey.

December 2020: One man taking pictures of poles etc.

26th March 2021: Contractors cutting hedges and trees.

30th August 2021: A crew arrived and strung fiber between the poles.

During the week of 11th Oct 2021 to 15th Oct 2021, a crew arrived and installed a lot of DPs (much more than I expected).

Anticipated availability: October 2021 - December 2021.

Anticipated availability: January 2022 - April 2022.

Anticipated date for connection: April 2022 - June 2022

28th December 2021: My EirCode has moved to "Available for pre-order" in the last few days.

28th January 2022: Pre-ordered with Sky. 500Mbps €35.00 pm for 12 months, no installation fee. Install date 7th July 2022.

1st July 2022: My EirCode has moved to "Ready to Connect". - That's 6 months in "Pre Order"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Finally went ready to connect today went preorder around 17th may. Hopefully get an installation date now fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Got install date for 14th july

Router came in the post sent out by westnet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Mine has gone back again by another 3 months. Started off April to June window, then June to September and now September to November. The day it comes into the first month it seems to move into the next window grrrrrrr

Denis Naughten is now openly stating that he believes it will be the end of 2027 before the project is completed.

But to allow this to happen Councils and State agencies need to provide sites to these wireless operators so that they can install transmitters to distribute the wireless broadband service. Because these extensions to the wireless service will have a short lifespan, up until the end of 2027 when it is now likely that the National Broadband Plan will be completed, these sites should be provided rent free by the Councils and State agencies.

48 deployment areas had their deadlines pushed back yesterday making it nearly 100 DAs that got pushed back within the past month. Like before, some delays are a few months while some are a year or more.

7 DAs had their deadline brought forward, most by a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks for the update. The weird thing with ours is that it appears to be ready to go pole wise just need fibre run into the house. You'd think it would be a quick win

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Yeah, mine (Curragh Camp) was pushed back from 2023 to 2024. It's a pain but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

KN/NBI were here today from 9am to 6pm. First they had to cut trees on the road to bring the fibre from the nearest DP to my entrance. Then they had to unblock my 80m service pipe from the pole to the house. Took them a while to do that. They pulled the fibre through using the old copper telephone line. There were 6 of them here at one point. The last man standing installed the ONT and the router in the centre of the house and did a neat job. They're a hard working, good humoured lot. I can't believe that I have speeds of 700+ as I didn't dare to believe it would happen.

Post edited by flipper2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Prepping for an NBI install that will hopefully happen before the end of the year.

Would anyone have any experience/recommendations for indoor flexible ducting that can be purchased at retail? The plan is to have ducting installed from the entry point at the side of the house, through the attic and into the desired install location. I'd also need U clips to fasten the ducting to rafters in the attic.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

25mm split Kopex is probably your best bet. I be trying eBay or Amazon for it. Cable ties might be the be t way to fasten to rafters.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Parents due to be connected up in Manor-Kilbride on the same day. Dad has laid ducting from the pole into the house and hopefully we can get them to install the NTU/ONT downstairs and run gig ethernet up to the router from there

I assume the KN guys won't touch anything past the demarc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Wait wat ?? They installed the ISP router as well ? Wow, who was the ISP

There is an install option, in their tech docs, where they will run ethernet cable up to 30m beyond the ONT, on connection day, should be requested when ordering a connection or on the day, time/technician dependent, not available after connection is done.

DP1.0 Data Port Extension €55.00

DP1.1 Data Port Extension On-Site €55.00

Pricing applies to DPE ordered on site or as part of the standard ordering process. On site ordering subject to WSP/RSP forecast and technician availability

1.6. In-Home Services

NBI offers optional chargeable In-Home services in relation to any work carried out beyond the demarcation point as detailed in the published In-Home Services Product Description. Services will include, but will not be limited to, the installation of the RSP’s Residential Gateway, Data Port Extension (DPE), IPTV services, and additional wiring. Where the Service Provider wishes to avail of these services on behalf of their end customer, they can be ordered via NBI once the relevant contract addendum is agreed and signed.

Where the Service Provider does not purchase In-Home services from NBI, it will be the responsibility of that Service Provider to arrange installation and/or connection of devices / services beyond the demarcation point on the ONT such as the Service Provider router and other End User devices contractually agreed between NBI and the respective Service provider.

Source: NBI Reference Offer Bitstream and VUA v2.2

Data Port Extension (DPE)

In the case of some Bitstream or VUA installations, the internal location of the ONT installation within the end user premises for may be limited by multiple issues such as customer requested entry point, access restrictions due to road frontage or other external access restriction factors. As a result, the ONT and Retail CPE may not be located in the optimum position for wireless or ethernet access services at the premises.

To mitigate against wireless or ethernet access restraints within the home or business, NBI offer a Data Port Extension (DPE) which will enable the installation technician to optimise the location of the RSP/WSP CPE at the time of installation.

The purchase of a DPE product at time of ordering, or on site subject to RSP/WSP advance agreement as part of the onboarding process, enables the end user to locate the RSP/WSP CPE at a more convenient or optimised location up to 30 metres wiring distance from the ONT (not radial distance).

DPE Technical Installation

The technician will install surface mounted white Cat6 extension cabling along an accessible route, usually along skirting boards and/or architrave, to bring an NTU connection to the desired location. This NTU will provide a connection back to the ONT to enable installation of the RSP/WSP in an optimised location. An NTU will also be mounted to a suitable location, usually a skirting board, located beside the ONT to facilitate a Cat6 connection from the ONT to the NTU. This connection will provide suitable connectivity from the ONT to the optimised RSP/WSP CPE installation location.

The technician will not run cables beneath carpet or floor, nor will they move furniture or carry out decorative work. A DPE ordered on site will only be fitted if it can be done within the appointment slot and does not cause later jobs to be placed into jeopardy. The extended section is considered part of internal wiring and is therefore owned by the end-user and does not form part of the NBI network. The RJ45 interface on the ONT remains the demarcation point for any installed Bitstream or VUA service. If fault issues occur on the DPE, this will not be covered by the standard NBI fibre broadband support contract. Installation of a DPE assumes an installation time allocation of up to 40 minutes.

Source: NBI In Home Services Schedule v1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Digiweb based on the Speedtest screengrab.....

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I got a text from Sky advising that an engineer will call tomorrow (7th July) between 8 am and noon. I have a drawstring from where the copper comes in at the front door up into the attic and down to where I want the ONT and modem. I'll do the attic bit. The only thing I'm worried about is the 25-year-old ducting that the copper comes through in. From the lane at the end of my road, it goes underground to the four houses on my road and there's a manhole and ducting into each house. I'm hoping that all goes well. I'll know tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

Finally got connected today. All went well. The kn group are very helpful and there work is very neat. But I was expecting better speeds. Yes I know it's a lot better than it was before and still probably good enough if me but the speeds I see from people on here is a lot better. I'm only getting 50 mbps download and upload. Is there anything I can do with my router for better speeds? I'm with westnet in Mayo. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Those ping times are outrageous. What router was supplied?

If you have a network cable and a laptop with a network port, try plugging directly into:

1. A router LAN port, to rule out the Wifi being the cause of the issue (I'm assuming your test was run over wifi on your phone)
    2. The ONT (if 1 shows the same results). You'll need to configure the laptop to connect with PPPoE using the user/pass supplied along with a dedicated VLAN (http://woshub.com/configure-multiple-vlan-on-windows/)

If (1) shows higher speeds, then it's likely your Wifi being the issue

If (1) doesn't show higher speeds then either:

1. The router is a problem (which testing with the ONT directly will show)
    2. The fibre connectivity is the problem. (If you can't get higher speeds connected directly to ON

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Give them a ring there customer service is very good it's one of there main selling points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

I have the fritz box. Ya il try all that. Thanks heavy dawson your a mighty man for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Our village has had Open Eir FTTH for the past four years or so, actually we were very lucky to be one of the first rural areas here in Co. Galway to get it.

I came home today to find vans from Defusion Utility Services digging back up under the poles, and running fibre underneath. The reels of fibre are left taped onto the poles, presumably waiting for another team to do their job.

The fibre has National Broadband Ireland Infrastructure written on it.

As we already have FTTH in our area, why is fibre being run again?? Just curious...

Advertisement