Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

My husband works for a small construction and plant hire company. He thinks they may be going onto a 3 day week very soon. The fuel and material costs have got too expensive.

I also know a fella working for a timber hauliers and he was told recently to be prepared for a shorter working week too.

😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Sorry to hear that about your husband.

Out if curiosity and its a genuine question, would he be happier on x3 days a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Wouldn't it be wonderful to just do three days a week if one could afford to however, the vast majority have to slave away until 65.

We’d all be happier on 3 days a week 😂

My financial situation is I’m on carers allowance and will be until death us do part (that may sound crass but is reality). Because I do not live with the person I care for, I’m not entitled to fuel allowance. Because my husband would receive jobseekers benefit and not JA (if his work goes to 3 day week), he wouldn’t be entitled to fuel allowance either.

This will be the same for any working people losing their jobs. Their outgoings will be higher than most long term unemployed but their incoming welfare would be less. Mortgage will still have to be paid, electricity may go up if at home more

We’ve been here before in 2008 and know how tough it was with one child going into college and another a couple of years behind. They’re all grown up now. The difference for families this time is, as of right now, everything is so damn expensive and I worry for what’s ahead for them.

Here’s hoping inflation sorts itself out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭BrianD3

More likely to be due to incompetence or not involving the right people (those on the frontline with the practical knowledge) in the procurement process. The latter is a strong possibility if you have somehow ended up with a contract to buy 1 litre bottles of body wash and wasting most of it because a smaller volume would have been sufficient.

You can also get a similar scenario but in reverse - items purchased which aren't fit for purpose because of penny pinching. Again, not asking the right people for their input is a strong possibility here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭amacca

In some workplaces its ask everyone bar the people that work at the job.....everyone is a "stakeholder" but not all stakeholders are created equal ,some are more stakeholdery than others.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Thought everyone was supposed to be working 3 days a week, automation having replaced half the jobs by now. That's what we got told by the powers that be.

Must be happening by 2030. Still, they better get the finger out, people are not getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: inflation, I have been talking to a few people about energy and heating costs - they all live paycheque to paycheque or close to it. Prepay electricity etc. I don't think people even realise how fcuked they and other people are come winter. Many won't have had their oil tanks filled since the war started. Some people are insulated to an extent e.g. those who heat their houses using turf or logs.

People really need to get off pre pay electricity and transfer the same weekly amount to a normal provider via their banking app. It’s criminal that those who pay IN ADVANCE are charged more.

We’re near enough to the border that we go north and fill drums (filled a bowser once and drove all the backroads 😁). It would cost less than a fiver to drive there and back and the difference on 112 litres is 50 euro. I don’t feel one bit guilty about it. You gotta do what you gotta do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fuel theft is on the rise now too. Talking to a customer he had 4000 liters of fuel siphoned out of his excavation vehicles/machinery and storage tanks last week, that's €8000!

• Advertisement

I was in the builders providers yesterday morning, no one in there, empty on a monday morning @ 8am.

Not good. Quotes from builders merchants are only valid for a few days now too due to the uncertainty of price increases. Makes it difficult to price up a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s coming into holiday time but it does tally with the anecdotes I am hearing about jobs not going ahead due to the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just paying my bins there and notice there’s 13.5% VAT on this vital service- I mean wtf? Every home must have it for basic hygiene and environmental reasons. But yet again this rotten state has its tentacles in that too. Incidentally the price went up by €13 like everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

Sometimes, you have to laugh:

Hotels deny allegations of price-gouging (14 june):

In an unrelated new 2 weeks later, Dalata (Ireland’s largest hotel group) says recovery is surpassing expectations with revenue up 9% compared to march/april 2019 and expected to rise to 18% of pre-pandemic level in may/june:

I don’t think “expectations” was the right word to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

UK announcing emergency plans for cutting off Gas to Europe (Belgium & Netherlands).

Some how I doubt Ireland would have the balls to do the same to the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/175ef927-efa2-439e-8ede-1dfc7edd23a6

European gas companies have appealed to the UK to work with the EU and warned that shutting off interconnectors could backfire if prolonged shortages occur. Britain imports large volumes of gas from the continent at the height of winter.  

I'd assume a large amount of the gas coming the other way from the EU is from Russia via the EU so not like they'll have too much of that to share.

Uk doesn't have much storage so a lot of their gas is sent to Europe to get back later.

Post edited by Varik on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...we need to figure out how to look after each other, in regards our energy needs, we all go through periods of surplus and deficit energy supplies, it makes sense to further integrate our energy systems, across the whole eu, and including the uk, even one country experiencing serious shortages, could be detrimental to all of us, this has to be done, and quickly

In an ideal world that’s what should happen

what will probably happen is that every country will look after themselves, just as I think they ultimately will with migration. Domestic politics and protectionism in extreme scenarios will always trump EU cohesion IMO

unfortunately i think you could be right, we re clearly moving back towards more nationalism than anything, which will more than likely lead to further chaos, as i suspect very few, if any country, can truly meet its own energy requirements long term. noting, protectionism is a fundamental policy at eu level anyway, but not really for the average joe and/or mary!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

No bad news in the fed meeting, seems we might be somewhat stable

• Advertisement

...how well connected are such institutions to whats actually happening on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

New 30% tax bracket incoming. Lovely

They are well connected. But interest rates can only do so much in the face of supply chain disruption, and risk huge collateral damage to emerging markets (which impacts all of us)

They make comments and decisions based on financial economics, so I would say its rather a higher level than individual cases, but the decisions they make would indicate whether its going to get better or worse for those on the ground

...id love to see your evidence that this is so....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A new bracket in the middle of the existing high and low ones. It's the basic income tax not accumulative with all the others

Before it was 20% for the first 36k and then 40% after that.

Guessing here on the amount but it could be 20% for 36k, 30% for remainder up to 45k and then anything over is back to 40%.

I'd say no chance just more shite out the party who promised to abolish USC

...but are the fundamentals of these decisions truly representative of our reality, and do these decisions truly represent the reality of the general population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I guess those in power are betting on a lot of the inflation being temporary and caused by Covid, Brexit and the war in the Ukraine. I cant see how its not I mean everything is flying up due to scarcity. I guess we will see in the next 18months or so

Advertisement