Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Ah yes, the intergenerational chattel slavery practiced in America and the laws perpetuating racist policies and actions against the descendants of people stolen and sold and bought and abused is why Pakistanis do worse than average while Indians do better than average in Europe. Of course! It all makes sense now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Slight problem with all that lovely stuff. It doesn't answer my question.

That's the other knotty problem for you. You're either forgetful, projecting expectations, or plain lying, but I have never denied and fully acknowledge racism as the factor it is and numerous times in this thread I have stated quite clearly that racism institutional and personal is a major, if not the major factor of why some demographics end up screwed over in multicultural societies*. I've repeated it again for the hard of reading.

And if you are namechecking America as an example of multiculturalism that works I really don't know what to say to that. Oh it can work if you're White or East Asian, not so much if you're Black. The gulf between the average White American and Black American experience is a very wide one as your links quite correctly point out. America is and certainly has been for most of its history a primarily White Christian European nation and culture and White Christian Europeans did the best out of it(though there were flashpoints even there). There's a reason the BLM movement kicked off there.

Again, answer my question; point out a Western multicultural nation, with all their different background cultures, histories, politics and policies where we don't see the exact same trends playing out and over generations with it. We can go back and forth with all the reasons why, and some do better than others(America being one of the worst) but the fact remains no nation has been able to surmount these seemingly intractable issues and negatives. Which is kinda funny for such a positive and Accepted Truth and politic. But of course Ireland alone among nations will break this cycle...

*Though not all of the picture of course as the disparity of outcomes between the aforementioned Pakistani and Indian populations demonstrates and any actual racists won't care about any nuance as they usually don't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

If you don't deny institutional racism and all that (you're on your own amongst your friends here who all deny it btw) then why not in the interest of fairness be interested in redressing the imbalances. The good news is that these things are being addressed and slowly but surely it will happen. All you can do is say yes so what these things affect people and so those outcomes prove my point. The difference between you and others is that they work to implement policies to address these things. It's in the interest of your argument to gloss over these things and hope they don't get addressed.

• Advertisement

Your stalking of me is a running joke amongst a few people btw. Keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've been on this thread for years, you've only arrived recently according to your sign up date, and I'm responding to your posts as is the nature of a discussion form. That's not stalking, that's questioning, questions that you clearly struggle to answer. The fact that you've to resort to such cheap, and slanderous tactics, says far more about you than me.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You are responding to someone who doesn't find value in responding to you and you continue to stalk me. It's quite funny. I take it as a compliment. I seem to strike such a nerve that you can't control yourself :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you don't deny institutional racism and all that (you're on your own amongst your friends here who all deny it btw

Please point out posters who've claimed racism doesn't exist, institutionalised or no. I fear you'll be digging for a long time. Another one of your attempts to frame the imaginary narrative you think exists, because it suits you to think that it exists as it's easier to dismiss and avoid debate on the matter.

Why not in the interest of fairness be interested in redressing the imbalances. The good news is that these things are being addressed and slowly but surely it will happen.

It's a worthy cause to be sure, and I do not say that mockingly, but to paraphrase the Reverend Martin Luther King junior*: "I have a pipedream". While legislation tempers the excesses of human nature it can't hope to change it and we can see that in hard realities. As I've pointed out some nations do better than others but there isn't a single example among all those nations where legislation and education has changed the same trends kicking off in every single case. I can't think of a multicultural Western nation where BLM didn't strike a chord among their Black and Brown peoples. For the craic actually listen to Black voices on the matter. They have to deal with the BS at the sharp end.

Though I admire MLK immensely, I always preferred Malcolm X and him to be more realistic in his thinking and how he came to think like that. Of course they both died in a hail of bullets for their trouble and fifty years later BLM was needed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Institutional racism exists, thanks. Glad we have that sorted.

As far as tribalism existing, yes people can be tribal about a lot of things. Are you talking about racism again? Irish tribalism for example doesn't mean we are talking about race. I have more in common with someone raised in Ireland like Ogbene who is a product of Irish culture now really than I do with some Polish villager who can't speak English and has never been to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Some posters are quaking but it's ok, i can't be arsed searching out your posts where you deny institutional racism fellas! It's just nice to know it won't happen on here again :)

As far as your second point, things change for the better. Just look at the changes in America. Take opinions on interracial relationships for one example. A white American will feel like they have more in common culturally with a black American than some random white European. A black American has more in common with some White American than a random black African.

I think immersing yourself into the mentality of old racist white lads probably prevents basic understandings.

Some posters are quaking but it's ok, i can't be arsed searching out your posts where you deny institutional racism fellas! It's just nice to know it won't happen on here again :)

Nobody's quaking and well you know it. So yep, just another example of an imaginary narrative you wish were true.

As far as your second point, things change for the better. Just look at the changes in America. Take opinions on interracial relationships for one example. A white American will feel like they have more in common culturally with a black American than some random white European. A black American has more in common with some White American than a random black African.

Interracial marriage has gone up since the 1960's, but even here we see clear trends. White Americans if they do marry outside their group overwhelmingly pick Hispanic Americans and in the vast majority of cases they'd be seen as "White" anywhere else in the world, after that come Asian Americans. There's a big gender bias too. Asian men with Black women are a tiny minority for example. African American women tend to get the pooey end of the stick full stop. So it's not nearly so rosy an "improvement" as you think. And your previous extensive list of negatives for African Americans in defence of some point you were trying to make paint these "changes for the better" in pretty stark terms.

So, that's a yes then. A vague statement with no evidence to back it up. You are aware of what I requested, cause you've sidestepped it completely?

You've also just butchered Tribalism in the most awkward way I've ever seen on boards. Impressive.

If you thought there was too much multiculturalism already, hold on to your hats.

In short, the Russian/Ukraine war has massively impacted global wheat, corn and sunflower oil markets....massively is honestly an understatement.

By Nov/Dec we're going to see mass migration and large scale civil unrest in the likes of Egypt, Yemen, Lebanon etc who are all major importers of Ukrainian/Russia wheat/corn/oil.

The video below goes into a lot of detail on the various aspects and how its very likely to unfold.

We live in interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Seems the locals in Kinnegad are having some issues with asylum seekers staying in Harry's Hotel.

^^^ Roos Demol, 'Can we please let the sexual harassment slide, they've only just arrived.'

Foreign activist who works for Recruit Refugees Ireland.

Just excuse it all as a sexual emergency, I suppose...

If you thought there was too much multiculturalism already, hold on to your hats.

If you thought there wasn't much local pushback against this multiculturalist guff and the above kicks off, you better hold onto yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Roos Demol is the chief executive officer of “recruit refugees Ireland.”

The beauts in Kinnegad were outside protesting about their dinner not being served on time on Sunday evening.

https://twitter.com/vlinierland/status/1543669526876852225/photo/1

The poor craturs didn't get their dominoes pizza in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Who?! …and do what now jayyysus what pickle are we putting ourselves in I’ll tell you something; I used to live in a hostel in London whilst I was trying to break through with a band in the 90’s and I can confirm most of these lads have no interest other than to hang around certain points on estates scouting for girls. How old , or young they may be is another story but one thing I know is the drive for diversity knows no bounds and these architects wouldn’t question what may come about in the slightest.

We are going to have to put an end to this noncense. Sooner; rather than later and in the meantime anyone seeking to promote this will be held every bit as accountable as the meddling profiteers. Absolutely fcuking despicable people, they’ll have to be ousted

Receipts will be kept for sure.

• Advertisement

Reading these posts you it's plain to see most of these locals would have been in the refugees welcome camp, and then it came to their town and they realised what that actually means.

In fairness, from what I gather from that tweet, they had cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and at 8pm there was still no sign of dinner. Anyone would be annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Can’t they not buy their own damn dinner so? Grown ass man waiting for others to feed them. It’s absolutely pathetic. If they can fly thousands of miles sporting the latest fashion trends with the latest mobile phones, they can purchase their own grub.

Instead of protesting outside their taxpayer funded accommodation like a bunch of absolute worthless bums.

Are you serious? Even my dog behaves better than that when I’m late with her dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

God love them, cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and the pizza for dinner was late. Am I missing something here? Do the vast majority of other people living in Ireland, of all ethnic backgrounds and all demographics and all classes not eat cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch? These chancers need to be on the first flight back to wherever it is they arrived from. It looks like the locals aren't feeling culturally enriched. Ah shure no hurry on dealing with the sexual harassment. As the foreign young wan defending them says herself, shure they're only just after arriving, getting out of the habit of sexually harassing women, like they do back home is still OK in their minds.

Shure they only need a bit of time to learn that it's not OK to sexually assault women. Will RTE or any of the media be running stories on how these men need to treat women with respect, like they did with all the nasty crap they threw at Irish men until the murderers turned out to be foreign born men. Nah, I didn't think so. Hopefully there won't be any sexual emergencies or misunderstandings like in the case of the lad who raped a very young school child because he thought her sleeveless summer school uniform was an invitation for him to have sex with her.

From who? People over 50 are happy once the value of their house goes up and that's the most "Irish" group remaining. I know, yeah yeah, great replacement is a load of nonsense but give it another 5 years of 50-100k per year coming in and add in the feel-good useful idiots and there won't even be a majority willing to consider the issue let alone do anything about it.

As I understand it, these folks don't have access to cooking facilities, hence they have to wait to be fed and can't cook for themselves

The same people over 50 are still paying mortgages and looking at their children wondering what future do they have, when they struggle to find student housing or basic accomodation and morons in government are promising accomodation to any chancer who shows up in the country with a sob story.

I was more considering those who are finished paying their mortgages, the ones over 50 with a large mortgage remaining have to be a minority and not paying a huge amount a month.

The trouble with them thinking about their kids is that the issue has been present, especially for students, for a few years now and yet still no change or sign of possible change. Every development is objected to and the government just keep bringing more people in. It's a disease that affects all of the parties and none of them can countenance changing their position because they have to keep their rainbow flag/pro-immigration gold star ratings. No-one would go into power with such a party so they would need a platform that wouldn't turn people off for any other reason to try to win in an absolute landslide. Never going to happen. I've made my peace with the fact, I've already gone through the anger and sadness. Some people are still in denial while others will never even internalise the simple truth in front of their eyes to feel anything about it.

• Advertisement

Id tend to agree with Button. I think a political solution is gone. Our fate isn't in our own hands.

Advertisement