If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker installation advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 carrollfc

Hi David,

I am in the process of a self build and want to install 2 in wall speakers and 2 ceiling speakers in one room (a speaker right outside this room on the outside wall would be great too). I would also like 6 ceiling speakers between the open plan sitting room/ kitchen. So two zones really I think.

I am looking at 8ohm speakers all around but not sure what amp(s) I need. I was thinking of the Sonos amp but don't really want to buy 3 of them at the price. The Yamaha 301 / 501 or Denon pma-600ne , marantz pm6007 also appeal but not sure really what I need (can get away with).

If this is something you could advise on that would be great.

Regards

Craig.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@carrollfc ,

Ive opened a new thread for your query - it was posted in a Richersounds announcement thread. You’re always welcome to open a new thread for query or request on this forum, makes it easier for RS to spot and deal with.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Craig.

Many thanks for the post.

Just to quickly check.

How many speakers in total are you looking to install? Is it 8 in total, 6 in ceiling and 2 in wall or is it 8 in ceiling and 3 in wall in total.

The amps you have listed above, 301,501 etc.... are only designed to run one or two pairs of speakers.

Is this system going to be purely for music/stereo or will you be looking to integrate TV or home cinema?

You could maybe check out the Monitor Audio IA60 which can run up to 6 pairs of speakers (12 speakers). It would run 8 Ohm speakers at 45 Watts per channel. Priced up at 1499 Euro

You could then pair it with the IMS-4 Music Streamer coming in at 1499 Euro

For in wall speakers we have the Monitor Audio WSS130 coming in at 299 Euro Each.

For the in ceilings we have the Monitor Audio C165 priced at 169 Euro

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. Just to clarify...

Zone 1 (Entertainment Room): 2 ceiling speakers and 2 in wall speakers either side of television. Mosy for watching movies/games. Would like 1 additional outside wall speaker from this room/zone.

Zone 2 (Open plan living room/kitchen). 6 ceiling speakers (4 in living area / 2 in kitchen). This will be for everyday music playing... Streamed from phone mostly. Will have a TV in this room also.

That setup you proposed looks impressive but maybe over budget when you factor in the music streamer.

Probably looking to spend E1500 or thereabouts on the amps. If I emailed you dimensions of the rooms it may be better. I haven't a clue to be honest.

Thanks

Craig.

Hi Carrollfc.

To be honest to get that sort of setup it will be hard pushed to do for 1500 Euro unfortunately but let me see how close I can get for you ;) Although if the 1500 Euro is only for the amps then the below system would be excellent.

If you are using Zone 1 for movies but only using 4 speakers you will lose one channel as home cinema is normally 5.1, which consists of front left and right, rear left and right and then the centre speaker. The .1 is a subwoofer which can be left out.

In Zone 1 you could use the in walls for your front left and right and then the in ceiling for the rear left and right. You could add a 3rd in wall in below the TV to act as your centre speaker.

The extra outside wall speaker would need to be a single stereo speaker. If you used just one normal speaker then you would only get half a sound track from that speaker (Either left or right).

You would need something like the Monitor Audio Climate 60 T2 priced at 279 Euro.

There is no single amp that will be able to run both Zone 1 and 2 with all the required speakers.

At least its going to take two amps that have software to allow them to integrate into one system.

For Zone 1 something like the Denon AVRX2700 coming ion at 699 Euro

This has Heos built in which can be used for multi room. For Zone 2 you can then use the Denon DRA800 priced at 599 Euro. Ideally this will run 4 speakers (2 Pairs but a 3rd pair could be added at a push). Also HDMI inputs to connect your TV to it.

By using the Heos App you can control both these amps and your Zones from your phone.

If you wanted a cheaper priced in ceiling but still a very good one there is the Monitor Audio Pro 65 which we sell a 5 pack for just 399 Euro

For the in wall there is the Monitor Audio W180 priced at 215 Euro Each

Total for the above would be 2645.40 Euro, I could discount this down to 2309.00 Euro.

There are cheaper Home Cinema amps but there is no technology in them to be able for them to talk to a 2nd amp for multi room without adding in a separate bit of tech like a Sonos port or a Yamaha Music Cast product but then 2nd amp would also need to have the same Sonos or Yamaha product connected to form the Multi room setup.

Denon would be the best and most reasonably priced option to achieve the system you are after.

Have a check over the items above and let me know your thoughts.

• Advertisement

Hi David,

That's really helpful info and more in line with budget. I will think things over and be in touch closer to the time. It'll be a month or so before my electrician will be on site.

Talk soon,

Regards

Craig

Hi Craig.

No problem at all.

If you have any questions in the mean time don't hesitate to drop me a post or PM.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.