Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler pump on off switch

Options
  • 29-06-2022 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

stupid question but if the oil boiler is running but the pump is set to off will it just heat the water in the tank?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

no way to know without looking at the pipe layout, on older systems the hot water might have been circulated by gravity feed, (storage tank on first floor usually in this case) or it might require the pump to be running to circulate water to the tank.

One way to tell will be to see if any of the pipes in the middle (on the side) of the tank get hot when the boiler is running, if they do, it's managing to get heat into the tank, so the water should heat up.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭riddles

It’s a twenty year old grant oil boiler in the downstairs utility the water tank is upstairs

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

will need photos of the pipework, that age could be gravity circulation to hot tank, and no way to be sure without seeing the layout around the boiler and pump areas

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If the flow from the boiler goes straight up from the boiler, like from a back boiler setup, then there is some chance, if it goes down first then I would say the stat on the boiler will cut in first.

Have you an expansion tank in the attic or is it a closed, invent system?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement