Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 6 Public Hearings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

None of that is evidence. If it were [so and so] would be in jail

Must remember to use this line any time someone brings up anything that attempts to incriminate Hillary/Biden/Hunter etc. - 'it can't be evidence because they aren't in jail yet' derp.

"Your honor that evidence against my client is not actually evidence: if it were, how is it that my client is not in jail yet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

It was you who posted that Donald trump could rape a child in front of his base and they would enjoy it .

In all seriousness that is weird imagery by you, that is something a qanon member would say.

when you cannot give even list one thing trump did that was good for America , you know you have issues

Your revision of the truth is in bad faith:

This isn't the pearl clutching thread for ex-MAGA to commiserate on the things they think he did good, this is about January 6.

when you cannot give even list one thing trump did that was good for America , you know you have issues

You also failed to give one good thing Clinton did for America.

Ancapailldorcha said it perfectly: you have debased yourself and for who, Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also, "No weapons were confiscated at the Capitol" does not equal "No one at the Capitol had weapons". Almost nobody was arrested, charged or held at the Capitol Riot. Most charges were brought against the rioters in the weeks and months later by using evidence to try track down those who were there.

As per usual, selective wording is being used to misrepresent truths.

The hearings matter. The legal landscape is changing. Now Eastman doesn't seem to want to waste his life pretending that Trump's attempts to obstruct Congress were legal or protected by any sort of Privilege, neither executive nor attorney-client.

He has dropped his lawsuit defending his call logs from the select committee.

• Advertisement

It’s embarrassing stuff on here from you and others

what makes me laugh is I have shown how much bad faith there is by you and others on this

I could not care less about trump, what I wanted to do was shine a light on the level of hypocrisy with posters like you.

you cannot explain to me why you care about who is president of America, their gun controls, who controls congress, what the Supreme Court does etc etc

Explain why you care so much? You are not commenting on the hearings , you are actively cheering for that witness who said she heard trump tired to drive up to the riot, a story that already has been denied by the actual people who were in that car.

these hearings are nothing but gossip and hearsay , nothing will change but inflation is going to get worse and the republicans are going to win back the senate and than it’s all she wrote.

donald trump managed to swing the Supreme Court and that is really going to change america, Clarence Thomas is a man on a mission. No amount of hearings is going to change that.

what makes me laugh is I have shown how much bad faith there is by you and others on this

You've presented no evidence, facially misrepresenting things which were recently said on thread, and even claim that evidence is not evidence. This claim of yours is dismissed for lack of evidence.

I could not care less about trump,

That's going to be a common mantra for Ex-MAGA, practice it.

you cannot explain to me why you care about who is president of America, their gun controls, who controls congress, what the Supreme Court does etc etc

Explain why you care so much?

I'm an American Citizen, for starters. Secondly, what business is it of yours? Why do I care why you care about the hearings?

You are not commenting on the hearings 

LOL

you are actively cheering for that witness

I will give $50 to a pregnancy crisis center of your choice, if you can identify for me the post in which you say I did this.

these hearings are nothing but gossip and hearsay

Not at all, these hearings are concrete video evidence from the insurrection, archival footage of the presidency etc. and sworn testimony and deposition given under federal rules of evidence.

she heard trump tired to drive up to the riot, a story that already has been denied by the actual people who were in that car.

Denied by conspirators who refused to testify or give deposition or pleaded the fifth, hmm interesting.

There has been nothing but unsubstantiated rumors that the secret service would testify to the contrary. Until they take the stand, her standard of evidence is superior to such conjecture.

nothing will change

It already has, though, and you've been paying attention even if you refuse to believe it: more witnesses coming forward, evidence coming forward - hell, just today, John Eastman conceded to give up his call logs to the January 6 committee. Nobody in town is under any illusions, thanks to the hearing, that Donald Trump is protected by any degree of executive or attorney-client privilege, not when he so clearly orchestrated an autocoup attempt.

And a bunch of whiny 'red hat yells at cloud' election-deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭20Cent

Q anon really did a number on some people. Even though it's crazy it leaks into the public consciousness.

Funny to see the re-reg lads using "The economy, stupid" as to why the hearings don't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some people just can't stop talking about Trump.

Imagine following hours of this boring rubbish.

The irony of the statement is appreciated, thanks for giving us a little space in your head today, for your thoughts, kind passerby.

And Republicans still can't stop talking about losing the election, and the RNC still has Trump as the core tenet of the party's platform - and the Texas GOP just put Election Denial in their own platform - so yeah, here we are :)

Disney+ has Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness in IMAX aspect ratio, that might appeal more to your need for low brow sensational entertainment

Isn't everything about Trump and America low brow sensational entertainment.

@AccountableGOP readily found the corroboration for the most damning aspect of her testimony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic please, thread is starting to go off on tangents that are irrelevant to the Jan 6th hearings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

The thing about Trump and his crass tendencies is that not only is he crass, but is openly and proudly so. Other people in whatever walk of life they inhabit will, if called on saying something crass, will have the decency to apologise. Trump has made his crassness an integral part of political persona. His supporters love it as the counter punchin', street fightin' Trump, but having that attitude in the highest office of the USA has normalised a dark tendency in American politics that shows no interest in lowering the tone and that's extremely dangerous for the continued existence of a peaceful political system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She seemed a very compelling and convincing witness.

The Trump disciples / shills are desperately trying to seize on the incident in the car in an attempt to discredit her, but even in that part of her testimony, she seemed convincing and to be speaking honestly.

• Advertisement

Stewart did a podcast react to Day 6, what a treat

His take, at first glance, seems more balanced than one might expect from Stewart - eg. calling it 'malpractice' if the committee didn't corroborate the SUV incident before putting Hutchinson out on the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

What's the end game here. What can actually be done. This would never see the inside of an actual court. I don't get it Trump will never run again damaged and torpedoed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Did the SUV incident need to be corroborated though? Cassidy Hutchinson merely relayed under oath what she had been told by the secret service....it wasn't up to her to prove or disprove whether what they were saying was correct or not. She simply said "This is what they told me".

the tribunal needed to Corroborate her testimony before she appeared to give evidence. come on

is there any witnesses to appear that were part of the riot, who can give real verifiable evidence trump was the organiser? Someone they can flip for less jail time.

I would say the fact that he was actively trying to roll back measures around taking weapons into the Capitol makes him a pretty big part of it. The fact you don't seem to care about that point says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's not accused of organising the riot.

The accusation is centered around convincing his followers that the election was fraudulent and stolen (even though he had no proof of same and all investigations into his claims and all his lawsuits about his claims led to absolutely nothing), that he tried to convince or coerce people in his administration and party to prevent the election results from being certified (pressuring Pence, creating fake sets of electors etc), riling up his base enough knowing that there would be a lot of pressure (and likely threats) directed at those in charge at a local and state level to try influence them, and ultimately encouraging his followers to go to the Capitol to protest in order to disrupt and delay the certification of the election results (and clearly not caring about the manner in which they chose to do so), and knowing that groups known for violent protests (such as the Proud Boys and Oathkeepers) would be there and that there would very likely be at least outbreaks of violence.

It's not about Trump "organising" the riot, it's about Trump's actions over a period of 4-6 months in doing everything he could to wind up his base enough to not believe the election results if he lost, make them believe their country is being stolen by the Democrats and they cheated in the election, and then doing everything he could to overturn the results or prevent the results from being certified in order to falsely hold on to the Presidency (including telling his followers to march on the Capitol and protest the certification).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would say that you should prepare yourself to be flabbergasted and speechless, in that case. People were confidently predicting that the Republican party would drop Trump like last week's bread after he lost the election. That did not happen. We thought that surely to god he'd become toxic to the party after he literally stoked a mob of people, some of whom then stormed the US Capitol (and, indeed, some Republican Congressmen made some proclamations about how this was too far). That did not happen. Some of those who spoke out against Trump in the aftermath quietly changed their tune when they surveyed their constituents, it seems. And that's the problem - as long as the majority of Republican voters are pro-Trump, the party cannot drop him. Even if he dies, they cannot drop the message if that's what the people are embracing. Solve that problem and they can move forward, but I think the strategy is just to try and ride the train.

He sure did sit parked for a while and there seems to be some shifting around going on in the vehicle

If that’s the footage of him attacking the secret service and trying to take the car steering wheel We can assume the reason the witness kept saying “something to the effect of” was to protect herself from the possible charge of perjury.

this is the problem with hearsay being taken as evidence.

that evidence is not standing up to scrutiny and This hearing is now being made a running joke .

cheney in trying to be a hero has instead destroyed her career and any legacy. Shambolic

• Advertisement

Interesting that you've finally gone from 'none of this matters' 'im lost whats going on lol so boring' to really trying to split hairs to scorn this woman.

Her evidence falls under hearsay exception in federal rules of evidence: she told us what she was told. It was not presented as "this thing I was told, happened." She was party to the conversation she was relaying, in the office, at the WH, immediately after the incident. 2 people directly told her what had allegedly happened and agreed with her upon what those details were.

I look forward to Mr.'s Ornato and Engel definitely for sure testifying and not just saying they will while their lawyers blow smoke. I'd love for this whole bit about Trump being too fat to overpower the secret service being part of the public record.

Advertisement