Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 6

Options
  • 27-07-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread for this and didn't want to clog up the Ioniq 5 or "Classic" Ioniq thread...

Ioniq 6 will be a GT-style saloon based on the Prophecy concept and is due late 2022.

"Prophecy" Concept Photos

Concept Walkaround

with DK Kim of CarSceneKorea YouTube (and now also Fully Charged). I think this video has less filler and more info than his Fully Charged one released today.

Spy Photos

I think that's the Ioniq 7 SUV next to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Some spy shots showing it a with less camo. You can better see the overall shape of the car.

Source - https://www.motor.es/noticias/hyundai-ioniq-6-fotos-espia-diseno-exterior-202284194.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's finally been unveiled, though there's still plenty being held back for next month, like drivetrain specs.

https://insideevs.com/news/594928/2024-hyundai-ioniq-6-unveiled-striking-electric-streamliner/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Looks interesting. I presume it’ll be sold as a model up from the ioniq 5 and will be priced comparable to the Kia ev6.

when is it coming here?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

Who knows about here - but the UK reviews that I saw on youtube were talking about taking orders by the end of this year, delivery then is pure speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not a fan of the looks at all.

I like the 5, with its 1980s retro vibe. But this looks like something that was actually designed as a futuristic concept in the 1980s. If that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Looks like 2 halves of different cars.

An ev6 front end and a c class rear end.

Ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Merc did the shape better with the CLS

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

Good video. Compares the concept to production version.

Post edited by YellowRattle on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Same battery/drivetrain as Ioniq 5, be interesting to see range uplift based on lower COD. Looks wise, totally subjective, I think it looks lovely from the front but not great from the rear, but once you are inside it's irrelevant

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I didn't like it at first glance but slowly warmed a little to it as the review went on. A very deliberate step away from the sharp\obvious lines in the 5.

Still laughing at the fact though that Hyundai are releasing a new version of car model when they can't seem to fulfill existing orders on the current one....or aren't even taking new orders for the time being 🤔 - and this new model will be open for ordering end of this year?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

They are obviously planning to stay ahead on the hype cycles and be in place for Car of the Year awards again which they can use to push their entire range including big ICE Tucsons. Personally, I like the mix of Merc EQS (and CLS), Taycan, and enough size to be practical yet below 1500mm in height. Looks better than Polestar 2 IMO. Will be expensive, though, at EV6 prices and then some.

I also like the retro look again, adapted to size demands of current market. I prefer this to the Ioniq 5, which is just that bit too bulky but otherwise a heroic design- which paid off! Only slight negative is it is another premium exec car instead of something more for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Pity that it will be a saloon - looks like its aimed squarely at China & USA

VW Aero looks more promising in that respect - pity that it is only vapourware for now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

looks like a fine car. It reminds me of the Citroen C6 from the side and back.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I think it looks great. Fair play to Hyundai for being a bit braver with the 6 and not making it dull like the 5. The front maybe could have been better but that's about it. I am sure when I do finally see one in the metal that it will look great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

We get it you like Citroens!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

Mini Taycan looks on a budget! Clearly going straight for Tesla M3 on this.

I still prefer the M3 looks.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

5 and 6 are fairly polar alright. As we transition to EVs it's only a matter of time that car shapes move down to ~0.20 COD, they are now very powerful and family sized but efficiency needs to be continually improved to allow us to use less and less energy to propel these vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Would less powerful version be more energy efficient I wonder? If they taper back performance to match that of traditional best selling cars Tuscon Corolla, Tiguan, i.e. 10/ 11 seconds, would they be able to improve energy consumption to a noticeable amount? You'd have to imagine that an Ioniq 5 with a 120bhp motor and 0-100 time of say 12 seconds but same battery size be more efficient and indeed cheaper to produce and have a longer range

• Advertisement

The EVs with the motor in the "engine" bay will be less efficient versus motor on the axel, that's what I mean by efficiency, more solar plastered all over the car, less COD, less losses on charging etc

Looking at more reviews on this, it looks like something I could go for.

Have a Hyundai Tuscon currently so happy enough with hyundai as a brand. They make good cars.

What's the feeling from experienced ev owners on this model?

Torn between one of these or a M3 as first ev, will need to test drive both ofc but either will be a big step up in tech to the current car.

Thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Prices and Specs released on EV database for the Ioniq 6..

No brainer to go for the 2WD LR over the Standard Range for €4k (probably other trim extras too)

Looks nice, wonder what it will cost with vrt factored in. Will the lr stay under the grant cap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The standard range 2WD should, the long range 2WD is probably borderline but might squeeze in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

A sponsored drive around in the Ioniq 6, but not much to say yet about handling.

As slave1 said, 2WD LR is the one to consider as alternative to Model 3. The shorter-range one is rather slow for an EV at 8 sec to 100kph..... Noteworthy that reviewer is constricted in rear seats at 182cm height. Boot is similar to Model 3 with saloon-style opening. Rear design is better imo than Model 3, but interior is still a bit too K-Pop for my tastes. Probably will change, though. Will be nice with black interior and grey exterior or similar. One glaring mistake in the design is the exposed subwoofer in the roof of the boot space. Surely they will fix that as it looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Assuming the IONIQ 6 2WD LR scrapes in at €59,999 = €55K after grant and is available July 1 '23

And you had a KIA EV6 earth one year old on July 1 '23

would you swop for a new IONIQ 6 , or how much extra would you be prepared to pay?

• Advertisement

Anyone thinking of swapping from EV6 to Ioniq 6 is wasting their money IMO. You lose practicality of large hatchback boot and gain nothing in specs and performance. It makes more sense to look at this if going from older Ioniq (28 or 38 KwH) or LEAF or an ICE, or any car with lower range and slower charging speeds, not a current generation expensive car like an EV6 / Ioniq 5 / Model 3 / e-Tron etc.

Advertisement