Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

I would disagree, not having the ability to park at the office would have a huge impact on how many days I would happily do in the office.

if I had to rely on public transport I certainly wouldn’t want to be doing more than 2 days, ideally just one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

But you do have the ability to park at the office.

I don’t have a personal space so with the majority of people working at home I have always been accommodated. If management insist on a 4 day return that will be much harder, another reason it’s very relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Has any dept got canteen facilities back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,415 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair enough if back to 5 days in office, but is going from 3 wfh days back to 2 that bad. Still 2 days at home which ain't all that bad.. I do appreciate fuel going up price etc.(I have 32k travel myself) But I don't think 3 days in office is that unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

I'd say a lot of people will be hearing similar over the next short period. And you're right that it is disappointing when other departments are going as few as one day in office per week.

Get on mobility, simple as that. I'd happily move to a department that was more flexible. Two days/three days from home is a big difference to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Health/CEDIY never lost it, bar a spell when changing provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Our canteen consists of a fridge and microwave :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭JoeSexton

Get on mobility is right, that's certainly what I'll be doing. Vote with your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I agree. I think some people are vieiwing it relative to fully remote (which was never going to happen) compared with the pre-covid norm of 5 days in-office and not viewing it with that perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DSP Longford and Education in Athlone have canteen facilities open.

I think it’s more people are viewing what other departments are offering and realising there are better options out there. Pre covid I would have been delighted with 2 days at home. But now we have proven that we are just as, if not more, productive at home people are naturally aggrieved.

I don’t mind going to the office if it has a productive purpose, going to check in at my desk to reach some workplace quota - no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Two days in office makes a big difference to those living further afield, especially if they spend a night in Dublin a week as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

If absolutely everything in the work day can be done completely electronically, there's no justification for forcing people back into an office for more than 1-2 days. With 1-2 days, you're getting at least some justifiable positives like just being in-person with your coworkers for the social aspect of that, but really anymore than that is just pointless and down to some weird prick of a manager choosing to force their staff just because they can; a manager on higher wages who won't be feeling the pinch with inflation as their staff. The overwhelming majority of people would be happy with 1-2 days, more happy with 1 from what I've heard personally, so after a **** two years with covid where services were generally kept going strongly in many departments, the staff should be rewarded where possible with what would make them happy: 1-2 days

I was in the office for one day yesterday, and I got very little done (in comparison to WFH) due to people chatting, constant interruptions....

Honestly, it was a PITA. And the NOISE. It was driving me to distraction. I managed to catch up today when I was back in my nice quiet house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Ditto. I was in the office yesterday myself. Only person there out of a team of 10. Got loads done, but it was pointless being there.

There was another team in as well and they spent half the time chatting and laughing (it was nice to hear), but I'm sure more work would have been done from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

As somebody who started WFH I find it impossible to work in the office. The chit chat is non stop it's nice but my god its so hard to focus when you've have 20 odd people talking about 10 different things around you.

I often grab lunch outside core hours and come back to work when everyone else is away because otherwise I'd never get anything done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

With 1-2 days, you're getting at least some justifiable positives like just being in-person with your coworkers for the social aspect of that

Not everyone sees that as a positive 😁

Very limited social or collaborative benefits from coming into the office unless they enforce everyone coming in on the same days.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

That's it totally, we mostly come in on different days so don't really see each other the days we are in, half of the time I am sitting in the office on my own..or with one other very talkative colleague. When this happens I just have to be rude and put the headphones on most of the time - but even at that if they don't have me to talk to they spend the day talking on their phone or to any passer by!

If they want me in 1/2 days a week as least have a reason for it...a team meeting that day etc...but no...it's literally just for bums on seats since the return to the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

So far we've been in 2 days a week, whichever 2 suit you.

From next week, it will be one designated team day where we should all be in, and one floating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

That makes sense at least to have one team day. We don't have our official blended policy yet...so will wait to see if there is any logic to when we are being asked to come in but currently we couldn't have everyone in the same day due to desks/space as we have a small office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Gusser09

At this stage if some Depts are offering one day in the office and four from home and another saying you have to go back four days the Union need to get involved.

My contract is exactly the same as someone working in Revenue, DSP, DOJ, Education etc.

I can't legally see how the different depts can now implement different terms and conditions. What ever about the pay deal causing industrial action I think the WFH is a bigger issue for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not a public sector issue- should apply to all staff, public and private, who don’t need the vehicle to do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Your contract won’t say anything about WFH so you and the union won’t have a leg to stand on. Even within departments some units will be eligible for it, and others won’t. Everyone can apply, but there’s no guarantee that anyone will get what they want

Before COVID some places allowed WFH. There’s always been differences in how it’s treated. Same as plenty of other issues too

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Different Depts have different needs and do completely different jobs. Lots of jobs simply can't be done from home.

Someone working in a social welfare office has nothing in common with a policy officer in Taoiseachs or somebody working in an Embassy.

A uniform policy would make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Just told today to continue on as we are, 2 days in (one anchor) and 3 wfh. Will be in more some weeks depending on business needs but we knew that anyway.

I'm only doing one day because I am worksharing, other people in my Unit are doing two days.

These are some of the finer details that need to be worked out, and I have asked management (multiple times) whe at about those who are on reduced working patterns, but have yet to get a response.

Also DPER's framework very much left it open for each Department to operate WFH as they see fits their business needs.

WFH is being treated the same as flexi - its a privilege not a right, and it won't form part of any employment contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

We've been told that we have to apply for blending working in the next few weeks, when there's an online system for applications. 2 days WFH, no more than that and we have to have applied before September. HEO couldn't even answer how it will work for people on a 3 or 4 day week 🙄 It will also be her discretion what days that will be.

Advertisement