Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

👍👍my first year in a good few with nothing fixed but I know a few with a good bit fixed and the losses there suffering every month are unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭cosatron

I hope things work out for guys on fixed prices, hopefully the Co ops open the purse strings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭stanflt

As someone who has 59% of their milk pool fixed I can honestly say that what has happened regarding milk price has been totally unforeseen and I took a chance and it hasn’t paid off- however in previous fixed price schemes they were all index linked and on more than one occasion we had to refund monies to Glanbia at the end of the scheme- infairness to Glanbia they have made an effort to support people in fixed price schemes but these do have certain conditions that could cost us further pain down the road- luckily for me that we had a serious amount of surplus stock to sell this year to keep us afloat- I feel sorry for the men who hadn’t and these men are under serious financial and mental pressure

Losing over 7cpl on total milk per month

Those info graphics confuse me

Is the 6cpl 'input support' included there and if not,were you then paid 53cpl ?

With 59% fixed ?

Isn't the highest fix price 32 cpl ? Or is the new 2 year scheme at 42cpl most of that 59%?

If so how are there so many in the low 30's ?

What's the 2cpl 'payments' at the end there,the description is cut off

• Advertisement

No 47 was my final price- if I was getting 52.08 base price I’d be getting over 57cpl so I’m actually losing 10cpl on all my milk- the 2odd can’t added is for the milk fixed between 35% and the 59% of my fixed contracts - this is 8 cpl but divided by total milk supplied it’s worth 2 odd cent

the new 40cpl is for milk fixed over 35% of total supply- there’s no additional price for the first 35% except the 5 cpl Agri input price

Forgot to mention I’m liquid suppler so for ever cents per litre milk price rise we only get 0.5cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

How does that work Stan if you can pardon my ignorance?

Liquid milk banding if milk price drops below 28cpl for every 1 cpl decrease we only get 0.5 cpl but when milk price goes over 35 we only get 1/2 cpl for every 1cpl increase

If the 6cpl input support is in that so,your real hit is 16cpl except the Coop are subbing you that 6cpl

What I cannot understand is 59% is a lot in fixed for to have so little an effect on your base compared to all the people complaining they are in the low 30's because of fixed

He's losing 0.5cpl on his liquid contract litres as it is 0.5cpl below base for some reason in the summer months

Its 7cpl over base or thereabouts October to March

Theres also winter contracted milk that's paid a similar bonus November to February

He's not losing the 0.5cpl on non contracted milk

I'm assuming fixed price excludes liquid contract which may explain why he's able to get away with only losing so little compared to creamery suppers being paid in the low 30's

They are the real sufferers in this

• Advertisement

I’m losing over 10cpl over all my milk- I just spotted a flaw in the milk price graph- they aren’t showing my milk price deduction for my creamery milk included in the schemes price- I’ll have to get onto Glanbia in the morning and arrange a meeting to discuss their payment logs with media present- btw they love me

Mine do too but no fixed thankfully

If you'd have asked me last January would I ever see my milk price in the 60's cpl this year,I'd have said not a hope

This is the year of the strangest things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did they, never heard of it personally. Totally understand why people fixed, to secure a certain margin they would be happy with to reduce any risk. Unfortunately the way they were run here with only the milk price fixed and no option to fix inputs for the same period had them unfit for purpose from the off. If the margin is to be secured output and input prices have to be available to fix

With regard what to do I don't know. Dairygold had limits on what could be fixed and in hindsight was good. Anyone fixing large percentages ironically replaced the one type of risk with another albeit in a very different time from when the dotted line was signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

They did...

Putin may have as well dropped the rockets into some of these guys yards.

This is not a milk price issue...its an inputs issue....input explosions due to war....and you tell these victims...###k off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,710 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are other creameries as hard to decipher how your milk price is made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Ok who did? I've got plenty of loans and nobody said fix milk price.

As for your little speil about the war, inputs were rising since the end of last year, nothing to do with the war.

Every co-op has ways and means of getting money to those affected.

My question is where was all the pearl clutching a few years ago when prices were low 20s and fixed schemes were in the 30s and we were told tough luck.

To be fair,many many many complex dairy loans (especially new entrants or expansions)that I'm aware of were easier to get if an applicant had fixed milk price as part of the application process

A good share of many more would have fixed whether bank advised or not because on paper despite the risk of losing a few cents at times,it was good peace of mind going into long high repayment loans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I'm a relatively new entrant, €240k loan secured with 100 acres, own my house outright, no other borrowings, Bank of Ireland wouldn't lend to me, AIB would only offer a 9 year term, only Ulster Bank would talk to me. None of them ever mentioned fixed price

I'm quite surprised at that tbh but not knowing your circumstances obviously can't comment, a 9 year term suggestion on a loan that size is also a defacto refusal though

Those 2 banks if that was their view wouldn't be going into talking about fixed prices

You're lucky you got the deal you did with Ulster because you will retain the terms when they close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

Loan of half that amount. Wanted a 5 year term. Lending manager "unofficially" told me that I would be turned down on that short of a term if I couldn't get some milk into a fixed contract. You won't find it written down in any policy I imagine but that is how it happened. Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I was shocked too, theres no reason not to lend to me, perfect credit history, no mortgage, a history of servicing an existing loan which was being wrapped up in the new loan. Despite having a good business plan BOI said they wouldn't lend because the optics of taking someones farm off them wouldn't be a good look for the bank. They also asked what I was putting towards the business and when I pointed to the existing €80k worth of stock they told me they don't consider that. It was outrageous.

And then you see the AIB ads "backing brave" but as you say essentially turning me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If u look back through posts, a few of us were completely against fixed outputs, banks haven't helped either for them insisting on them. Fixed price is another way of having farmers competing against each other. Some if these guys that expanded rapidly were really hoping for a few good price years and are now locked into poor prices. How much of total milk pool is fixed price?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Participated in early scheme s but not in the recent ones and did ok.i suppose the big lesson learned is you need to back your fixed milk price with fixed input prices of some sort otherwise its just another roll of the dice. Been debating fixing interest rates here myself but starting to think it won t suit us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Banks it can depend on who you deal with within the bank as much as anything else, a bit of a joke really. On my 6th business manager or whatever they call themselves and that could be changing too.

Only one bank would deal with us for new loan with existing debt back in 15 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Interest rates will never be as low again.

Could you fix a portion.

Thankfully inflation, for all its other problem is going to shrink debt rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I still think in normal times concept of fixed schemes are fine but need to move to a model where they are index linked to inputs .fixed schemes were always well subscribed to .if I were starting out I’d like the security of having a portion of milk fixed at x price,lending institutions would too,luckily I’m more/less at consolidation phase now and in just under a year my heavy repayements are done so I most likely would fix nothing in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Fixing isn’t the issue…it’s farmers.

Once you forward sell milk, you forward buy inputs. Simple really.

Managing risk is all. Whenever you think of making more money the first thing to enter your head should be ‘but what can I lose?’

I wouldn’t be entering any forward selling contract with any Coop that obliged me to forward buy their products. It’s your decision where you spend your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Glanbia already had/have the ideal template https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.farminglife.com/news/environment/glanbia-launches-two-new-fixed-milk-price-schemes-1167117%3famp trouble was they lost their shirt on it, and haven't offered anything similar to it since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,710 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

So let me get this straight. On Monday 11th of July glanbia suppliers will get 50% of their milk cheque, 5 days earlier than we would have. Second half will be paid a week later than normal? Who is this being done to suit? Also where are our spinout shares we were to get in June ? Are they in trouble already?

Advertisement