Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science Supports Trans People - Here is why

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Repeating yourself isn't helping - I reject your test as been useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

My sister in law wanted to be a horse when she grew up when she was young. Were her family wrong not to affirm her identity as a horse? She is now happily married with a child and has not seemed to have suffered from it. She still does love horses. I think her parents were right to wait until she was an adult for her to make her own decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119254888#Comment_119254888 There was an error displaying this embed.

I was thinking about your opinion while chewing the cud (I might identify as a cow)...karyotyping has proven that a lot of those who are biologically female have well...some male traits? I think the technology is in its infancy

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Depends I suppose. Did she identify as a thoroughbred? If so, you're family may have stripped her of a potential Grand National victory, wins at Cheltenham, and all the money that may have came with that.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

That's not the same thing.

"Male traits" are not objective.

Moreover, many gay men are effeminate and so would fall under your term of "female traits". But that doesn't make the gay men trans-. Many straight women have "male traits", too, but are neither gay nor trans-. This works in all manner of ways.

Feminine traits and masculine traits cannot, therefore, be the measure with which to identify a person as trans-.

So purely identifying "male traits" as a means to objectively confirm the existence of any gender is deeply flawed.

So the point seems to stand. That we do not have an objective test for the existence of the gender that someone self-identifies as.

For biological sex, we have all the tests. But for gender, there is no objective test.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

"Male traits" and "female traits" are traits that are stereotypically present in males and females respectively. Some come from a more biological basis (e.g. skeletal differences cause men and women to walk differently) and some are more from a "nurture" background (the reaction of others to a behaviour causes a positive/negative reinforcement of the behaviour).

Some of these stereotypes vary over time and some vary between different societies.

The majority of people do not conform completely to these stereotypes in every manner.

The question can then be asked if any of the traits are definitively male or female, and what variance from the gender norm is required to identify as the opposite gender.

If some people deem themselves to be gender non-conforming (or don't even question it - they just are who they are), but not trans, and others deem themselves to be trans, then how is that decision made. Science can't test for something where the same result (level of non-conformance to gender stereotype) gives a different diagnosis (trans/gender non-conforming). If that comes from the individual, then there are other aspects at play, which may be due to greater rigidity in gender roles in the mind of the trans person or a greater level of person affirmation in the non-conforming individual (they have been brought up to believe that they can be who they want to be - their gender doesn't define them). It's an interesting area that requires further study, and unfortunately these two groups tend to be grouped together in research and non-conforming individuals who are happy and unquestioning in who they are are ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant really give a better answer than my sig

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

I refer to male traits as in physical attributes which people discuss around this topic. The notion that men are physically more defined than women in the long run due to natural differences. Karyotyping has exposed a lot of the population in some countries as neither being definitvely female or male (I cant find the report, saw it on twitter) but there is this from Nature that provides a fascinating insight into how biologists themselves theorise that even biological determinism is the root of all of this. The notion that our gender is fixed from birth.

When genetics is taken into consideration, the boundary between the sexes becomes even blurrier. Scientists have identified many of the genes involved in the main forms of DSD, and have uncovered variations in these genes that have subtle effects on a person's anatomical or physiological sex. What's more, new technologies in DNA sequencing and cell biology are revealing that almost everyone is, to varying degrees, a patchwork of genetically distinct cells, some with a sex that might not match that of the rest of their body. Some studies even suggest that the sex of each cell drives its behaviour, through a complicated network of molecular interactions. “I think there's much greater diversity within male or female, and there is certainly an area of overlap where some people can't easily define themselves within the binary structure,” says John Achermann, who studies sex development and endocrinology at University College London's Institute of Child Health.

What I think is happening here is that as biology evolves and learns more and more about the intricate genetic structures that make us up, the more that we are learning that the notion of there being two fixed genders is faltering .Western Society baulks at these ideas. 80 years ago Social Darwisnism preached black people were reprobates, then women, then the homosexuals - society swings around this fulcrum every generation that there is somehow some minority that does not fit in with the rigid notions. In 20 years time something else will be along to ruffle our feathers.

@eskimohunt - above you wrote

Feminine traits and masculine traits cannot, therefore, be the measure with which to identify a person as trans-.

Yet these traits (higher muscle definition, taller etc. all traits) are said to be attributable to physical development in men before they transition to women and compete in womens sports. I see no issue with holding off on trans women in sport for the moment till this is studied more and the competitve advantages looked at however the evidence by and large is pointing to gender (and biological sex) existing across a spectrum , a huge strata...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And it’s funny that when it doesn’t agree with them they dismiss it saying that any study can be bought and paid for.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

They are actually misrepresenting the science they are referencing - the actual base science papers do not support the positions they claim they do. They are lying by omitting important parts of the research they are using. this is called "cherry picking". You will not find actual scientific evidence which supports critics of trans people.

• Advertisement

Probably because funding bias is a recognised problem in regards to research, and drug trials. Although it's funny that you would dismiss that (considering what you previously found funny ).

The entire premise of your thread title is misleading.

a) most trans- people do not get surgery

b) the OP excludes any reference to non-binary people, too, which are a large community of trans-. 40% of the US trans- community are non-binary, for example.

c) even if the conclusion in your OP was true, it wouldn't support the conclusion that "science supports trans- people". At best, it would support the clinical idea that surgery helps some trans- people some of the time.

d) psychology is a social science, not a hard science; so we have to take the data from the extremely small sample size in the OP with at least some degree of scepticism. I'm not saying the conclusions are wrong but, from an objective scientific standpoint, you cannot draw absolute, firm conclusions from it. Social matters complicate the question in ways that do not impact the hard sciences.

For these reasons, this thread comes across as a campaign rather than an attempt to seriously engage with science as it regards all matters of trans-, and not just the specific corner of trans- that you want us to hone in on.

The one thing science says for absolutely certain is that biological sex is not, nor ever can be, interchangeable. Oh yeah, and men cannot give birth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is usually by the age of 5–6 years that children would attain gender constancy, so that they understand that gender does not change along with physical appearances and that their gender will remain unchanged in their whole life."

This does not state that their gender identity is "set" when they are 5-6, it states that they have a more proper conceptual understanding of what gender even is at that age. That is a completely different statement.

You can spin it that way, but the upshot of that statement is that children know they are differently gendered at that point and it means they know they are trans even if they cannot clearly articulate that fact

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not spinning, that's literally what it says - That is the age that they understand the concept of what gender actually is. That they know they are "differently gendered" at that point absolutely does not follow on from that statement.

Moreover, there's a world of difference between a) having an conceptual idea of a phenomenon and b) having the self-awareness to contemplate that concept, such as self-identity, in any meaningful sense.

Children that young are reactive, unlike self-aware adults who understand the implications of what it means to change gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

your bias is showing

Huh?? Take a look in the mirror would you? It didn't take a crystal ball to realise yourself and the other anti-trans posters would laser in on this thread to attempt to debunk this.

And I didn't win a medal to predict those posts would be the same predjudice and bias ye have about transgender people.

Children at that age are well aware of their gender identities and will choose to wear whatever cloths of the sex they feels at that very early age. They may have a lot of developmental understanding to grow through before they can make an informed decision about their eventual gender identity - but they have started a process of self awareness and questioning of their assigned gender roles. Their eventual destination is very uncertain at this early age - but the last thing they need is rejection and suppression of their legitimate questions about what gender they may be.

I have personally seen this process taking place in the family of close friends - and it started in earnest around 8 years old.

Huh?? Take a look in the mirror would you? It didn't take a crystal ball to realise yourself and the other anti-trans posters would laser in on this thread to attempt to debunk this.

I haven't claimed not to have a bias. I am certainly biased. Although, I'm not anti-Trans as you would love to frame me as. I support certain aspects of the Trans debate, and I'm against others. Whereas this belief that someone needs to support the overall trans topic completely, or be termed anti-trans? Meh.

Of course, the people who are critical of the Trans situations are going to seek to counter a claim that science supported Trans people.. because science doesn't support them. Not to the degree that you and others want to promote as happening.

When you can provide me with scientific evidence (not social sciences or psychology) that shows verifiable results that a man can become a woman, and vice versa, to the point of being able to have children.. as their desired biological sexes.. then, I'll happily drop that bias. You'll have to work a bit harder for me to drop my bias in regards to non-binary or self-Id.. because there is no science today to prove gender, apart from the direct connections to their natural biological sex (from birth). Not suggestions. Not theories. Facts. Verifiable, and repeatable means to show that it can be done across a wide selection of people. Although, I'll still have reservations due to the importance of experience of that desired gender in developing from child to adult, and how that reflects on a teens/adults identity. I'm rather sceptical at the idea that someone can declare themselves another gender, without any knowledge of what it's like to be that gender. But sure... you get me some proper scientific research to prove that. I'll step away from my bias.

But you won't.. because there is no such research, using scientific methods, to prove it.

And I didn't win a medal to predict those posts would be the same predjudice and bias ye have about transgender people.

And yet, you didn't counter them. You just decided to make vague reference to a prejudice, which is some weak attempt to discredit.

Pointing out a bias existing doesn't seek to discredit, unless it relates to something where people are supposed to be impartial... which is not the case on boards. You decided that my saying your bias is showing, is some form of insult or whatever, and reacted.

• Advertisement

Why do you imagine that anyone should accept you arbitary definition of what a sex change means to a trans person (ie your requirement that they could have children - by this definition many biologically born women are not infact women at all) ? You do not get to define what a trans person is or needs to achieve personal acceptance. You do not get to define what gender means to a person either.

As to your other arbitary criteria that you want some one to experience been of the other sex before making the personal decision to transition - well thats a requirement of every single reputable support service - and the minimum requirement is to live as that other sex for a minimum of a year.

If that gender is biologically rooted to manifest, then it will come out in later years / adulthood regardless. As we see with sexuality.

Therefore, there is no need to impose this upon very young children who, quite frankly, have better things to be doing at that age.

Who is imposing anything on the children ?

This is your fundamental misunderstanding - people are responding to what the child is saying about their gender not forcing them into anything. You want to deny them their freedom to express their needs until they meet your arbitrary age of consent.

Dunno why you seem to think that infertile/barren people are some kind of gotcha moment... because they're not. Just because some people are incapable of having children, doesn't mean that people choosing to transition are able to become their desired sex. Transition being the important part here. Especially since many of those seeking to transition are giving up the ability to have children, by transitioning.. In any case, though, it's irrelevant to the past points made.

And I didn't say what sex change means to a trans person... once more you're showing your inability to stick to what posters have stated, and then, your desire to argue with yourself. I said nothing about a Trans persons needs in achieving personal acceptance. Nor did I claim to define what gender means to other people. I directed my post at that poster in relation to bias... so, again, you've decided to interject points and then counter your own points made.

Your last paragraph does nothing to answer or counter my point about experience as the desire sex..

I've given up trying to reason with you, because you consistently fail to address the points made.

You want to impose your valued on other people is what you are trying to do.

You can have whatever opinion you want but you dont get to set the boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Children respond to adults , not the other way around. Its not any teachers role to be telling another person's child what their gender may or may not be. These gender identity obsessed teachers have no respect for the relationship between child and parent. Its one of the reasons why the community don't want any of this discussion out in the open. People have no tolerance when it comes to children and a trans ideology that has already destroyed a lot of lives

• Advertisement

Can I ask why you post essays? I'm hardly going to read all of that.

2/3rds of it nothing to do with what I even said. May as well be shouting at a brick wall.

If you can provide a shred of evidence that this is actually occuring in Ireland rather than just in you imagination maybe you would have a point.

The bigots on this board spend a huge amount of energy being the pseudo intellectual debater who has heard of fallacies and knows a little bit about psychological theory but they're only trying to pick fights with people about how immigration or LGBT is ruining our society.

Disingenuous and laughably pathetic. Can't wait until these dinosaurs die out.

I never said it was , but it will be soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Maybe my silly head, but they're kids!

It's like me saying, as semi responsible parent,...'you silly goose. Running with scissors is not good. Here's another one. You got two hands...fire away." It's more efficient.

Later in life when they only have one eye, "why didn't you stop me", "well son, who am I to stop you.'

Any doctor who signs up to child hrt should be immediately struck off.

• Advertisement

You want to impose your valued on other people is what you are trying to do.

I'm sorry but it appears that this is very much what you are trying to do.

Children aged 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 are not isolated in their bedrooms, grappling with the deep question of what non-binary gender they are, nor what gender means in relationship to the wider world.

The only possible way that children can be introduced to think the above, as they have in recent years, is if adults and educators are introducing these concepts to children. It doesn't matter what you teach children, whether it's Santa Claus or anything else - they will believe adults and educators. That means there is an added responsibility to ensure that whatever we teach children, it is done in a way that does not cause needless confusion or disorientation.

To expose concepts such as this to very young and impressionable children is grossly inappropriate; in exactly the same way it would be inappropriate to introduce a 5-year old to what sexuality they may be. They cannot know. And even if they did produce an answer, it would be at the behest of an adult asking them. It wouldn't be through their own personal volition.

Best to leave these matters until adolescence at the very earliest and, even at that stage of development, the person cannot be fully sure about who they are nor what they stand for. It is a period of flux, as it is for all of us.

Trying to argue that we should draw certainties from childhood reactions is a very irresponsible pathway to both tread and advocate.

No one is behaving in the way you suggest - people are taking responsible decisions about a difficult subject and try to produce the minimum amount of stress in their impacted children. It is no way responsible to tell you child - shush, we can deal with this when your an adult as I am not prepared to deal with it now.

That is your opinion - but it is not supported by peoples lived experience. Children are saying they feel different regarding their gender and they always have. The only real difference is that previously they would have gotten a clip round the ear or worse and told to shut up. Now, at least some adults are taking responsible decisions about supporting their childrens words and actions. I can guarantee that none of those adults are thinking about gender reassignment as the first response to their childrens concerns.

Actually bollox. Parents are there to support, look after and protect their children.

Not to force their ideologies on them. They can make their own decisions over the age of 18. And I'll support that, to an extent.

Anyone who thinks a pre pubescent child needs hrt should have tusla at their door and are not fit parents.

Which didn't address anything i said. You would refuse to talk to your children about gender if they approached you about it before the age of 18, you would deny them your advise and experience - you would leave them to find out about it themselves. That is totally irresponsible and a dereliction of your duty as a parent.

Until it happens to you you can carry on telling yourself you are right.

Again bollox. I didn't say that and you well know that.

Dereliction of parenting? Ask my left one. I as a parent, pretty sure you're not, is a duty of care.

You're telling me you are happy with young children, and they are young children, getting hrt? On whim basically.

Completely agree.

Leave this to parents.

The education system has no role to play in this sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

There is a miniscule amount of research into any of the modern practices regarding children and gender identity. It is incomprehensible that anyone would judge what a child of 5 and over would say and allow that to shape their entire lives. That they were given puberty blockers and set down a medical pathway to transition will be the greatest medical scandal of the past 30 years. The only clinic that could have done a live study on its experimental practices (tavistock) did not follow patients for any length of time and refused to publish its report into medical transition until a court compelled it to in the public interest.

Children of that age cannot consent to medical transition. Social transition and puberty blockers are not a neutral course of action. Gender ideology should not be any where near children. It is an absolute tradegy that confused children can on the one hand be allowed to grow up questioning everything in their lives without a hint of the word gender or identity rearing its head and others who unfortunately are exposed to this ideology are set down a medical pathway.

I am a parent of two grown children, and if my children had have went through a gender support service and the conclusion was arrived at that puberty blockers was the best way forward - then yes I would support them in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Sick, she should be struck off for life. The BBC also fails to mention her husband wrongly prescribed sex change treatments which resulted in a patient killing themselves. He should be in jail.

There is a large and growing body of research on transgender people - and there is growing evidence for a physical, hormonal and neurological basis for trans identities. That we would choose not to act on that evidence is the real abuse here.

The doctors should be struck off then.

Kids are not pet dogs. In the vast minority of cases they will transition and good luck to them.

But, kids are feckin kids! It's our responsibility as parents to look after them. They make the decision as adults.

It's not love Island, it's not the taste of the day...I think it's fashionable.

I'm silly now. Did you read the previous posts?

It is our duty to educate and support our children in all the issues they raise with us, whether we personally approve of those issues or not. It is our duty to be both their guide and servant.

There's something rather sinister about how you've phrased this.

I agree.

But you're twisting the conversation, which find abhorrent and disingenuous.

The "whether we personally approve of those issues or not" is the problem part.

One of the functions of the parent is to absolutely overrule children where we feel their protection or development, for example, may be compromised.

• Advertisement

If you refuse to talk to your children about these issues in a frank and honest way then you are denying them the knowledge they need to make future decisions. Telling them that its not an issue to concern themselves with will leave them with no where to get the support they need. I would find it disgusting to see a parent refuse to discuss the issue of Trans with their children. Its not a matter of encouraging or praising what you personally consider to be an abhorrent subject - its about giving them enough information to answer their questions and remove their confusion/distress.

Advertisement