Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano 105 Di2

Options
  • 29-06-2022 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭

Confirmed to be on the way. Semi wireless,12 speed, disc only, and nearly €1900 RRP!!!

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-105-di2-r7150/

Not sure what this means for the future of mechanical groups

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

105 bikes took a fairly large jump up in price the last few years with R7000, any bike with this on it is going to be minimum 3k at this rate. Insane stuff.

Disc only as well, they’re really trying to kill off any remnants of mid level rim brake bikes, there’s very few new 105 R7000 rim bikes compared to disc as it is

Was it just the Di2 version that got the upgrade to 12 speed?

It’s only Di2 according to road.cc, they’re not releasing an r7100 mechanical group set apparently. They did the same with ultegra I think, only Di2 and 12 speed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My current bike has the previous gen 105 11 speed. I can't fault it, absolutely no reason to upgrade. If I was buying a new bike it would only be to upgrade which would mean Ultegra Di2 and possibly aero but I'm just a casual cyclist these days and I have an ebike for commuting so I can't justify the cost.

105 Di2 hopefully makes it a bit more affordable, but still likely more of a dream purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Really not loving how inevitable it is that rim brake groups are going, soon too. Good to have option in terms on rim/disc, mech/elec

prices are ridiculous too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Anyone know the rough cost of a 105 rim groupset? 1900 seems very steep for the ‘affordable’ third tier. Will it lead to more bikes being spec’d with Tiagra?

The current R7000 will be the last rim brake variant it looks like, 550 for the rim brake full group set I think.

If I was a betting man I’d say Tiagra will go 11 speed with the next update

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

550 to 1900 is a crazy jump for someone looking for the cheapest 105. Maybe the list price will be generally very discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I don't really keep up with groupset updates, so how soon do you all reckon that new bikes with 105 will only be Di2?

Yeah it’s a little over a grand to go for Di2 over the existing disc 105 group set as well.

Most disc 105 bikes at the moment are close to the 2k range, so with Di2 you could be talking almost 3k if the prices translate.

Mental money for what was once a midrange group set. I bought a beater bike there over the summer with 5800 for 300 quid, those days are long gone I’d imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ultegra is coming in around 2800 so 1800 would sound about right, still bloody expensive for an 'accessible' groupset.

Tiagra has improved a lot in the past few iterations so I imagine that'll be the benchmark group for bikes under 2g with a carbon frame.

Could be sooner than we think cause I think stock levels for r7000 is still shite and they have shortages. So they might just try roll out the new Di2 instead of manufacturing r7000 at the same time.

Hopefully not though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Almost €2,000 for 105 so probably €3,000 for an alloy frame and 105 Di2 😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Aren't groupset costs generally pretty high compared to the cost of an actual bike? GCN's video mentioned bikes are starting from €2,800.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Gone are the days when you could get a good light bike with a carbon frame and 105 for under €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I was hoping they would have just made last generation Ultegra Di2 the new 105 Di2 so still 11 speed and you could upgrade without having to buy a new cransket/cassette.

Will that still be a route now with the 12 speed Di2? Will they still manufacture 11 speed Di2 parts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've squirreled away r7000 shifters and derailleurs for a later date and

I'm about to swap a 5800 groupset out for a 6800 one and am unsure if I should sell the 5800 or hold on, just in case.

There comes a point when you start to lose the audience though you'd think. You could have got a full carbon ultegra di2 bike for 2500 only 2-3 years ago if you shopped around. Now obviously a lot has changed, but they're becoming a luxury item

Would hold on unless you’re willing to wait and see if they’re going to release 11 speed Tiagra down the line.

It’ll be interesting to see how the market holds up post-pandemic. Like stock levels over the past two years have been abysmal and Tiagra equipped bikes for 1500 eur and 105 bikes for 2k have become common place, but if the demand slows down, your standard ‘midrange’ road bike (AL frame with 105) being closer to 3k, it’s massive money for smaller shops to be holding in inventory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'd been assuming the same given that 105 lagged in the 10 to 11 speed transition. I just got a last gen Ultegra Di2 bike in December which I'm perfectly happy with - I need neither the extra sprocket, nor the extra cost of it. The 12 speed was launched, but not really available - I'd have been looking at a 6 month delay and extra cost. SRAM cassettes and Shimano derailleurs do work together though, don't they?

I think Trek were one of the few I've seen do full hydraulic Tiagra and not use cheaper brakes, RRP on that was €1849 !!!!!!!!! Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Definitely squirrel them away. I’ve a few rim brake groupsets stashed so hopefully keep me going as a Luddite for a while yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I presume if it's electronic, you could have firmware to make a 12 speed derailleur backwards compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it's possible they'll continue to make 'traditional' 105 for some time, in parallel with the new groupset?

i meandered to chain reaction cycles, and noticed they've no Di2 groupsets listed.

'traditional' ultegra (R8000) is €1200 (and they're claiming that's a 10% discount on RRP) - it was about €800 new when launched three or four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

105 was always the working man's groups etc so to speak. I've never had anything higher bar sram force. It's a real pity to see them put it into the higher price bracket and discontinue the mechanical version. I suppose the current 105 will just jump to tiagra. I have the latest 105 mechanical on my last race bike build and it is solid, I'd stick with mechanical indefinitely if I could. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I might add, the 105 groupset I bought in November 2019 I think! 457 euro (rim brake version).😲

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I think I paid around €400 for 5800 a couple of years before that, and it's still going strong after over 20000km. 450% premium for 2022 105 😬 (ignoring like for like, RRP vs price on the street - still....)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems there's about a €250 premium for hydraulic over cable actuated brakes with 105 currently; but that premium for Di1 is eye watering. it's the cost of a decent groupset on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I love my ultegra di2 , but my 2019 synapse only cost 2.8k in 2020.

didn't like replacing a dead battery for 180 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Do you really need electronic shifting compared to mechanical? What are the advantages?

I have a 2015 105 rim groupset on my bike and it runs like a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have 2 bikes - one electronic and one mechanical - the electronics gears are always perfect,never need adjustment where as once a year I need to get the mechanical gears tuned up.

Advertisement