Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I know the houses you’re taking about. There are a few different house types in the estate. No 16 was built with an extra bedroom upstairs over the (converted) garage. You can see if you look on Google maps. Curious what state the new one on the market is in. Asking seems very low relative to others in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The CSO will still show rising prices for the next few months.last month was a blip. Although the heat seems to have gone out of the market, mainly due to expectations of rising rates and an economic slow down, but it was literally only at the beginning of May things were still manic with bidding wars. It takes a few months before going sale agreed and coming through as sold so any price falls now wont show up towards the end of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Agree and this is what I see. Good proportie in good communities with good infrastructure will be less affected by any downturn.

Post edited by WacoKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Your right. No 20 though had more living space on the Ground floor than 16. The latest house to come on the market there is not in great shape, the extension add here is poor(flat roof - unlike No 20) but the location is great for a family. Overlooking a nice green, back garden is level as well but overlooked as houses behind it are on height. Big downside regarding No 16/20, they both have big drop for the backgardens. This estate was built well before rockbreakers were common.

This auctioneer prices low from what I seen. I suspect it will go 35/40k above asking but 40/50k lower than 16/20

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My neighbour sold their house beside mine for around 420k a few weeks ago, at least that was the list price. He had multiple bids and it was gone within a few weeks of being advertised, they were not under pressure to sell either. This is in Loughlinstown, south Dublin. Houses in this estate in 2011/2012 were going for the low 200K's . Maybe he sold at the peak, makes no difference to us but location a big factor I'd say.

New owner moved in already and seems nice.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

australians woke to 1.4% increase overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

A couple of reasons, our supply issue is a lot more acute than any of the above. We have also been experiencing very high emigration numbers coming coming in for the last decade meaning we are catering for 500/600k more people now than in 2012 and in the same decade we stopped building. This is not the same all over the globe. It would be interesting to see if any of the above areas have the same with regards to these 3 metrics should be easy to see if the same paradigm exists.

What are you talking about? You need to look at the numbers I am not saying prices are not going to drop am I. I am saying that you cannot look at other countries with regards to the numbers of the 3 areas I suggest as in properties built and additional people living here. But you keep your sh1tology up. If you look at the below website alone and just look at the additional numbers coming into Ireland alone as apposed to the other countries listed by the previous posters, Ireland has experienced a much higher population growth over the last decade percentage wise. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/IRL/ireland/population-growth-rate

Our supply issues and demand plight have been talked about ad nauseam. So *cough* this time will it will be the same as 2008 really will you grow up and look at the information in front of you instead of trying to be a smart arse. The same issues as 2008 are no longer there, we could see a drop of 100% *cough cough sneeze* still wont be high enough for some on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If Canada, NZ, Oz became much more affordable then why wouldn't there be lots of emigration? Why would immigrants come here to the extreme rental situation when they could have a better time somewhere else?

I cant answer that? The current trend of immigration into Ireland doesn't back that up (currently) we are still seeing people come into this country by the truck load. It may change in time who knows, but I was trying to answer the question you posed and the evidence would suggest that we are still behind the curve with regards to additional population over the last decade and the amount of properties built in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

It's simple for an Eastern European to come here. Just get on a Ryanair flight. A lot harder for them to get a visa to go to Canada,Auz,NZ.

Isn’t all this only going back to levels seem 18 months to 2 years ago? Seems like it doesn’t change the underlying dynamics hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Supply and demand is part of the equation but central bank money printing with low interest rates is correlated to our housing market exploding. The era of low rates and magic money printing is now over so watch the correlation continue as both the growth in our property market and the central bank actions reverse. These are the numbers to watch to see the direction of our property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Anecdotal too, the guy (said he was in building game) sitting next to me in the barbers told his barber that he was off work today because of a shortage of materials meant they were only doing three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s very hard to get into those countries. We only get kind of priority due to our historical links to them.

Ireland is an open door by comparison fir Europeans and indeed many others

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

No different than 2008. Settled areas / estates with good transport, amenities, no social problems etc didn't see drops anywhere close to the headline rates.

Still... a cooling down will be good for society in general. We are facing incredible social problems if we don't see a reduction soon IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Unfortunately, you can expect demand to fall substantially in a recession, a lot of people will actually leave if jobs dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Rising interest rates might mean some softening around the edges of the housing market, but I really really can't see any meaningful 'crash' in values, greater than 10 or 15%.

Banks might tighten up their lending, but there's a HUGE amount of cash just sitting in the system, waiting for a 'bargain' to be had. None of my social group are terribly well off, but we're all sitting on deposits of >150k, waiting for some perceived value to be had. Outside of us, I'm confident there are many who could buy a place for cash on a whim if they felt the value was there.

The price of materials isn't going to come back close to what it was, likewise, the shortage of tradespeople isn't going to be solved any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

Absolutely, I can not see builder is going to built if cost is A and sell at B ( B <A) which is lead to more supply and demand issues .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

this thread could be from 2000. People who want the prices to drop find information to point to their desired outcome. Those that don't want the prices to drop find their reason.

When the crash happened people going on for 8 years finally got the outcome they wanted but didn't actually like it when it happened because they thought everything else would remain the same. They still couldn't afford to buy as they lost jobs and a lot less was for sale after a short period of time. They did laugh at those in negative equity.

The people who thought prices wouldn't drop were actually mostly ok but there were some that over extended themselves with multiple properties but even then there were not many but the amounts were huge.

In the end of the day most in negative equity ended up better of especially when rents started rising and up to current times.

Buying a house is a marathon not a sprint.

Currently to me it looks like a lot of people have a lot of savings due to not traveling on holidays, not replacing cars, less expenses from not being in an office etc... These people tend to earn more too and can now buy outside of Dublin but get Dublin wages. It is a drastic change that will divide people a lot by the type of job they have. Not good for our society

Supply and demand is the biggest issue. We have toomany people and not enough properties ready to go and everyone has to live somewhere, unless there is a buck in this trend prices will not drop and you can see the diminishing options on the rental front. I agree that access to money or cheaper money for buying a property is an issue but for the next 2/3 years while rates rise and are still not high, people will continue to look for mortgages as it will still be a much cheaper option than renting. Those 2 stats below need a big change in the current direction they are heading or prices will not go down.

The cost of renting vs buying

The number of people in the country vs the number of properties available (both rentals and to buy)

Your argument would hold water but the recession about to hit is going to be global there will be very few first world countries not being hit so unless they are heading to Zimbabwe or some other 3 world nation it may be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. Having said that why would you leave a country with possibly the best social welfare regimes in the world while mortgage holders who are living in the property are awarded a very unfair and unusual gain in the fact that it is nearly impossible for a bank to repossess the family home. I cannot see any other country that offers the same why would you as a home owner be running away from that? So before in 2008 a flood of peoples second properties came on stream very few home owners had to sell. Now in 2022 the small landlord has more or less ran for the hills due to the punitive tax measures not to mention the unfairness of a unruly tenant being able to stay in your property for 4 years + and not pay a dime to you. So the question will be will the REITS and Vultures flood the market, is there something better out there in terms of return on investment as apposed to their locked in guaranteed rent from the state for the next 10 to 25 years. I know I would just leave it here with the current uncertainty globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Friend is a broker and says there is a lot of Approval In Princple out there, but not seeing these transition to mortgage drawdowns. That tells a small story that people have money on deposit but there is a shortage of appropriate housing out there.

Yeah I reckon there is still a lot of frustrated demand out there. I mean anyone on here I reckon will know of at least one couple who have been looking for years and with Brexit, Covid and now Ukraine they didnt pull the trigger and are now at a point where they cant see anything near where they want to buy. I could be wrong but I know of 3 such couples. Anecdotal yes but if its replicated throughout the country it means there is still a lot of demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Then there's the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You need to include occupancy rates with those figures to get an better picture. Dublin has huge areas where the occupancy rate is 1-2 people in them. in the area I grew up they are mostly occupied by 1 person but 5 bed houses. We don't really lack housing it is just used very badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

10%-15% would absolutely be meaningful, to a huge number of people.

Also, absolutely love the idea of someone not 'terribly well off' sitting on a 150k(!!!) deposit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement