Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

109.5mm at Valentia from 22nd-28th June, almost 500% of the weekly average. Exceptionally wet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice morning here in Meath, no rain overnight, temperature 17C.

The ground here is still hard as a rock despite some rain last Saturday/Sunday and earlier in the week. We've somehow avoided all the showers over the past 48 hours at Dunshaughlin and I hope this continues over the next few days until the high pressure begins to make it's move next week.

Makes a change, so used to you reporting about the place being drenched 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thankfully summer so far is nothing as bad as the summer 2020 spell. One of the autumns was very wet too, can't remember if it was 2020 or 2019. But I do seem to remember almost a year long spell of wet conditions and regular deluges. The lawn really was in a state for months on end. One of our neighbours may have had a drainage problem too which would result in even more water than normal entering the garden so it really was a swamp. They got it fixed last summer and I haven't had any soaking garden problems over the past 12 months with so many dry spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not great here but not bad either. You'd take it.

This month finishes almost level for Sligo

16 good days that were predominantly dry and 14 bad days that rained a lot.

23 windy of breezy days

25 cool daytime days

Temp over 21c 0 days nada zilch

Temp over 20c 2 hours

Temp over 19c 2 days

Temp over 18c 3 days

Rainfall just over 80mm which believe it or not is slightly (only slightly) BELOW average. So not a month that was a washout. Windy and cool describe June 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Moderate to heavy showers in Kildare now

Yeah that was Autumn 2019 then of course Winter 2019-20. Imagine we didn't have the fantastic spring inbetween those and Summer 2020...

Not a great June here in Meath but I've certainly seen alot worse Junes. June 2020 was attrocious and set the scene for the rest of that summer.

This June started off like a repeat of June 2020 with daytime temperatures struggling to reach 10C and 2 days of sideways drizzle (the June Bank Holiday weekend). Thankfully after that awful weekend temperatures slowly began to recover and the rain died out for the middle 2 weeks of June. These 2 weeks brought temperatures generally 17 to 19C but we had 3 or 4 days into the low twenties with 23C being the max temperature. The past 6 days have felt autumnal at times (particularly last Saturday evening and all of Sunday). Temperatures weren't too bad over the past week generally 16 to 19C by day but the wind was nasty.

Overall June 2022 I would rate 5/10. A June on the poor side of average, not great but certaintly not a write off from beginning to end. If it wasn't for the 2 week dry spell in the middle and some nice spells of warm sunshine the month would have been much closer to 0.

Ha, you need to be quick around here!

Saturation point occurs at -10mm and not 0mm so you are incorrect, but I'm not here to split hairs or argue with you.

I think it's fair to say that unless you are in a poorly drained field in the west of the country or parts of the midlands, there is no reason why your garden should be waterlogged. I don't think the people posting about waterlogged gardens were in any of these areas.

Your garden is not a field and is a controlled environment and even in the worst weather in midwinter when there is no sun, your garden should be able to deal with rain through proper drainage.

I had a waterlogged garden which flooded even in summer during heavy showers and this was due to poor drainage after installing a patio with insufficient run off to storm drains and because we have heavy clay soil.

• Advertisement

Aye that's why I specifically said moderate and poor drainage. Just being my pedantic self as usual when I seen your initial post 😂

Either way with drier than average conditions ahead, they'll be on the rise again.

Ha, join the pedant club.

Fingers crossed we get a break as promised!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Is it 2022🤪.

I really don't remember summer 2020 being that bad, Ive obviously just completely blocked it out of my head with all the Covid lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely evening now,no breeze and the sun shining

Lovely day today in Dunshaughlin, plenty of hazy sun and temperatures around 18C.

Ground over much of the east is so hard that heavy showers pool quickly and for longer as soakage is slow

It looks similar to a zero smd or water logging but it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The soil is pretty bad here but I've never seen the level of pooling here in Waterford before.

Final post from me today as I've been a bit too chatty! I was interested in how this Valentia weekly total compares historically so did some digging. Back to 1939, there was only one single wetter June week at Valentia than 22nd-28th June 2022 and that was 10th-16th June 2013. That isn't a typo by the way for 2012. 114.6mm of rain fell that week.

If including July and August, Valentia has had wetter summer 7-day/weekly periods in July 1950, July 2020, August 1986, August 2009 and August 2020. The two 2020 periods are separate points of the months so do not overlap.

Puts into perspective how exceptional the June 2022 period was there. Anyway, enjoy your evening all. It is benign here in Dublin 13 with fair cloud and bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

GFS 12z has wind and rain and 13° on the west coast every single day for the next 6 days 😬

Improves after that but that's the unreliable timeframe where anything can happen

No itl be roasting after that. Around Friday next week onwards will get a lot warmer. Widespread temperatures over 20c likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Amazing that you know my land. Especially the areas that I had a digger in and put in drainage. 6 weeks of solid work and cost a fortune in manhours and materials. It still puddles in places when the rain starts and keeps on and on.

Ah, all bets are off when it comes to Leitrim!

I think I was referencing posts from people in other, much drier, parts of the country who were saying their gardens were saturated and waterlogged. If this is the case, then the underlying issue is drainage rather than the weather.

Either way, it wasn't intended as a dig at you or anyone else.

I'm not sure that's what the posters were suggesting, but that's definitely an issue I know and have experienced myself.

It happens mostly in compacted clay soils which when dried out becomes almost impenetrable.

The bottom line is that it's ultimately a drainage issue which can be resolved in most gardens.

I sorted mine without resorting to major drainage works by digging in gravel drains and a big soak pit where the water was pooling.

In some cases, aerating and spiking and introducing sand and organic material will work. In others, it's major works to hook up to main drains or just putting in French drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Here's a story for you regarding land in Leitrim.

I'm lucky enough to have a large garden. I've put a serious amount of work into it. The wife wanted a pond and started pricing up liners and the like.

I dug a large hole, no liner. It quickly filled with water, naturally. A few oxidising plants from the nearby Loch and jobs done. It's never been empty of water. Only thing I need is a good solar powered pump (And some sun) to create a bit of movement on the pond.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stormy looking sky over east Wicklow a little earlier but came to nothing.

That is mad. I've cycled the Kingfisher trail which runs through Leitrim a few times and I was astounded at the amount of water in the place - lakes everywhere! One of my favourite parts of the country which unfortunately most people here never visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

You seem to be doing better than us in Meath Gonzo over the last week.

Sun never appeared all day in NCD.

In fact big black clouds all afternoon so while we got out we kept thinking the big showers were on their way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a couple of grand days here in Kerry, not roasting but pleasant and sunny given the poor weather of late, got up to 16.6C today and quite nice in the sunshine but the cool breeze is there the whole time, very calm now this evening and out admiring the bright sky at 23.19, clear skies have been rare enough the last few weeks.

Last sunset of June in Sligo at 10pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

We were down in liebherr this morning and it was very wet.

Advertisement