Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Electric Ireland responded to my query about my NC6, told me to ring networks.

They told me they haven't received one, so I'll have to chase my installer now to get it done. Pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

But the kWh tariffs are the business of the utility companies only. ESBN have no say over this at all. The mystery continuous...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So this document From ESB Networks show what they charge the utilities (on top of the base wholesale? kWh rate)

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/esb-networks-dac-statement-of-charges.pdf Page 15.

The previous statement of charges (you'll have to take my word for this though had the TOU meter (smart meter) exactly the same as the 24hr.

Screenie for reference:

So.. Actually, Now theres nothing stopping the utilities from offering a day night tariff on a smart meter, They just dont. Remember these rates are on top of wholesale or whatever kwh rates they get the electric at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Some suggesting on Facebook they spoke to energia and their rate is going to be 7c from August for fit.

Any word from bord gais on their rate by anyone? I left them start of June but in that time left them with just over 1000kwh since mid February when the law came in regarding fit. I will be following up with them for payment for all exported up to the date I left

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

SSE are even more confusing now on twitter. I think they're saying that if I'm eligible for a smart meter (not sure what the definition is) then I need to request one now or I won't get any deemed payment.

• Advertisement

So first they said anyone without a smart meter would get the deemed export payment, then they said it was up to ESB to provide the deemed export, now the only people who are eligible for the deemed export (which apparently is back to them now, not ESB) are those who are "ineligible for a smart meter".

• Registered Users Posts: 45,455 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Feed in Racket!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I’d say the only reason to be ineligible for a smart meter right now is if you are on a d/n tariff which would mean you’d get the deemed export (their 3/6 post)

It will all be short lived anyway, we are all to have them by 2025 which isn’t really that far away… you won’t get fat on the FiT in the meantime! 🤑

Seeing as you have some sort of response from them (and a customer)

The question is :

Does being on a traditional, Day night tariff make you currently ineligible for a smart meter. As you cannot take your current tariff to the smart meter like you can with a 24hr tariff.

Well that's the latest thing I've asked, what exactly defines an ineligible customer for a smart meter.

And if my current tariff expires, and I sign up to a new day/night one, does that mean I've had the chance to go smart and decided not to, hence I'm off the scheme?

Such an absolute mess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I stumbled across this document earlier (RMDS is a division of ESBN) which discusses the migration of MCC02 (D/N) meters to Smart meters.

https://rmdservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/DR1215-MCC02-Smart-Exchanges.pdf

Essentially suppliers are being asked to bend over backwards to migrate D/N MPRNs over to smart meters via either for a like for like tariff exchange or for a tariff change agreed with the customer.

This seems like the best of both worlds, smart meter + metered FIT payments + retain D/N tariff.

P.S. Lots of interesting reading on that RMDS website too, including mentions of future plans for Smart Meter HANs (in-home displays etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

What about people who have zero mobile network signal though? Where I live I can't get a signal from any provider unless I get on my roof! From what I see it's the 2g band being used so even that is impossible to get where I live. I expect some interesting times ahead with my provider but at least I have the old reversing meter so I will wait for a court order to replace that if need be.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think I saw that there's an add-on antenna they can use to boost the signal

I suspect that what will happen for you is that you'll end up getting a smart meter and because it always misses updates you'll get an estimated reading

Which raises an interesting question, do the smart meters have any other connectivity method, like wi-fi or ZigBee radio? Is there a way for customers to get usage data directly from the meter... 🤔

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Well the day night tariff never actually expires, just the discount goes.

I think they can be read manually too but not with the same resolution.

There's peak, off peak, night, and export sections. (Also kvar too, but as domestic we don't have to worry about real and apparent power)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Can we gather up the known FIT rates and update the main FAQ page? Would like to see the published info somewhere online at least. Reward the early adopters like

So far ... Sse 14, pinenergy 13.5.

But I'd agree a list in the faq would be useful

When I signed up to the first smart plan they put me on a basic plan for the first 30 days as it takes that for the initialisation of the smart meter. They told me if didn't have a specific signal level there would be no online access to usage and could not go on specific plans like cheap EV plan but just their basic smart plan (most expensive)

Their unit rates should probably be listed beside them to see who is trying to rip you off the most!

Pinergy's unit price is very high AFAIK.

Yep pinergy day units are extremely high on smart plans - 36c but their ev rate from 2-5 am is great at 5c. Not suitable for majority unless good battery storage and good PV output

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Wow, that is just dumb. Especially since the meter has a built in radio which can be used for communication

I think this is the correct model, check out the datasheet page 10

https://www.kamstrup.com/en-en/electricity-solutions/meters-devices/meters/omnipower-singlephase-meter/documents

Doesn't say what type but I think a similar model has a ZigBee radio built in

There's even a customer unit which can be installed to communicate with home energy monitors

Top notch work ESBN, you've earned your paycheck this time 🙄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,376 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In those 3 hours you could get 9kWh into your powerwall with a ME3000SP (15kWh with a 5kW hybrid) and 20kWh into your car every day. If you do have fairly big PV and powerwall and not huge electricity consumption outside of these hours, that could be an option with the 13-14c FIT as long as that means your peak unit use is still minimal

He's got the 6kw hybrid, 100 amp charging. So 15kwh possible into the battery.

Yep as Graeme said have 100amp charging or I wouldn't have took chance on this plan. That together with the couple KW a day in worst months of winter should see me through as our winter usage is roughly 12kw average a day. Compared to the 509 euro rural standing charge I was on with bord gais these are also just under 300 euro cheaper a year on their standing charge so could afford some small usage in winter and still be up compared to that but don't intend to use any day time units with them.

That standing charge is brutal with Bord gas.

I need to start looking for who to switch to.

Will need to take into account energias >2000kwh charge for night rate too, I'll be over that for sure this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I'm with Bord Gais and my rural standing charge went from 69.03 c/day to 88.7 c/day in April and with the 9% vat on that it comes to €352.89 a year or am I missing something? My maths are not the best though!

We are referring to the smart plan with bord gais standing charge though and it is probably the most expensive standing charge around. 20€ cheaper than I remember though but an absolute scandal that they can charge just short of 500 euro for just being with them before paying for any electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

I thought my maths were acting up! Might be best to state what plans people mean when quoting prices? Totally agree with the standing charge increase being a complete rip off, but what's new in Ireland.

Standing charges should be fixed across the board. It's a very sneaky charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement