Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Nothing worse. Then there's the question of do you unsheath said feet in work.

I keep spare shoes and socks in work for that very purpose. And put wet ones in the furthest bathroom to dry out. Putting on wet cycling shoes and kit to cycle home in is grim enough, never mind having to sit on a train in it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Always have spare stuff in work, and a dryer that I use on occasion alongside a colleague who rides quite a bit. Just annoyed I didn't bring a towel. Train is quiet for the first half of my journey and even just wrapping my feet to take most of the water out would have been useful. Also, this feels like the coldest June I ever remember. I'd be over the moon with this weather in Autumn through to late spring but at this time of year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

popped out on the bike to go pick the car up from a service, was in civvies. approaching a junction, i was on the main road and there were cars coming from a minor road on the left; however traffic was slow moving so i was keeping my eyes open.

anyway, a lad pulled out onto the road (without looking) after seeing a gap and i called out 'hello hello' in a loudish but not unfriendly voice, which he heard and stopped, so i slipped by. at next set of lights, he pulled up alongside me and said 'sorry about that'.

'ah, not to worry'

'i'm a cyclist too actually'

(slight pause)

'but i wear a helmet and a hi-vis jacket'

He's a word beginning with C alright but it ain't cyclist I am thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i didn't engage except for a disinterested 'grand so' but cycled away thinking i could have said 'what use would a hi-vis jacket have been, since you weren't looking?'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"I'm a driver too actually"

(slight pause)

"But I wear fishnets and high heels"

i am putting this here, rather than opting for the 'images of ugly' or 'images of beauty' thread. i suspect that design at the seatstay/top tube/down tube junction is simply a 'make something that just looks different' brief for the designers.

Lad passed me the other day on the current Madone in the Trek team colours with Ultegra and I thought wow that looks great in the flesh. This one does not and my untrained eye has questions about that seat post design. Also the front mech is fugly as sin!!!!!!

was chatting to a lad earlier on a madone too. not a bad looking bike, but we were swapping front and back into the headwind from sutton back to fairview, and he was fresher than me and it damn near killed me in the end trying to maintain pace when out front. stupid macho pride. i guess that shouldn't colour my opinion of the madone.

• Advertisement

Wasn't an Asian lad in distinctive blue kit was he?

nope. irish chap from marino.

Reason I ask is there is a group of lads based around Drogheda/Balbriggan and surrounds I've met a few times over the last few years both in their group and solo who's bikes you'd drool over. Best of Trek, Bianchi and Spesh to name but some.

why???!

That seatpost/ seatstay situation is so unnecessary.

Plus seems to limit fitting options.

Otherwise it looks standard aero bikeish. I like the current madone in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The seat stay is apparently about airflow. Who knows if it's actually true though.

Figured it was some sort of aero situation. I'm getting more used to it now.

It does seem inconvenient fit wise though

Inconvenient ??? Should be sold with a hacksaw and a link for a replacement seat post for when you sell it on. Unless the seat post is shorter than I imagine in which case I have more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Front page story in the local newspaper: council withdraws school warden (lollipop wo/man) because of the behaviour of motorists.

Bowing to motordom, leaving the kids to fend for themselves or walk a longer route to/from school.

do lollipop people have any statutory standing? i.e. is it an offence to fail to stop for one?

I believe so - Gardai, school wardens, construction workers, livestock handlers and... I think there was one more from my theory test a decade or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Under Section 96 of the Road Traffic Act 1961, you are guilty of an offence if you fail to stop a vehicle or animal (or to remain stopped) when a school traffic warden holds up their stop sign.

cheers, probably should have known that...

I appear to have added construction workers from my imagination. Gardaí, schools wardens and people in charge of animals are the three with authority to stop traffic. I don't know if that includes people walking their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

quite apart from that, what sort of lowlife wouldn't stop?

I must lead a very sheltered life, I've never seen anyone give the wardens around here any grief whatsoever...

i think if a construction company has been given the licence to operate a stop/go system for works, you're legally obliged to obey their directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I doubt very much they apply for all the times they operate them, if any. There would be shed loads of applications otherwise, no?

Happens a lot. Lollipop person outside my old place and another in Shankill were constantly skimmed by motorists. Some motorists would beep at them or nudge through while they were standing there. In reality, much like reporting a close pass, I'd say they have just given up when nothing changes.

The lollipop person near me was permanently pissed off, I used to wonder at why until car after car after car went through both them and the red light they stood at.

I always thought it was mad that you'd need a lollipop person at traffic lights, but then that's the horrible reality we live in now.

you'd just need an undercover garda with one waiting hidden, nearby on a motorbike, to put the fear of god in people. do it once every few months and motorists would smarten up real quick.

• Advertisement

Advertisement