Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected case of Foot and Mouth in UK with rapid diversion into Agribusiness policies and politics.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My point has nothing to do with beef price but the right for business owners not to have anyone interfering in their business.

It's a country of saddos that'd do it, this isn't russia you know. There has to be something in our constitution protecting us from interference like that.

I tell you I was sick of the farmers and the grid by the time it was brought in, no one wanted the humans grading the cattle anymore, Padraig was probably sick of it too. Remember one thing, I never went for the positions I had, I always said anyone can have my job , I did what i was asked to do. most guys were the same, it was no honour I can tell ya.

The way you're carrying on you'd think we wanted to leave our farm and work for farmers, we did it as a duty, there was plenty of opportunity for anyone that thought they could do better to come on board, I would've stepped down anytime, it was a pain to be honest. I have my own opinions and IFA wasn't going to change those and as I'm not beholden to them anymore I can say as I like. Anyone that works for farmers in IFA are bloody saints. You abusing john bryan and Mcarthy from behind your keboard sets your cowardly standard, You should show resoect to your betters

John Bryan picked up the gauntlet when he started and challenged the grid, The biggest problem I saw was the human graders were actually grading easy compared to the grid despite the whingeing so farmers got a right shock when they were graded properly mechanically

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I remember reading an newspaper article within the past five or six years and the Irish man (he may have been a Professor and I think employed by Teagasc - stand corrected) who devised the new grid more or less said that the factories hijacked the concept in that they added in -/=/+ to every point of the score in order to penalise the supplier and to their own benefit - I posted the article previously on F&F. I can't find the article at the min but when I get a chance I'll trawl through the interweb for it.

Doesn't matter whether anyone agrees or not, they won't be told. they set the standard, real world beckons for a lot on here.

John bryan challenged it when he started, biggest problem was that teh AOs were grading easy and when the machines graded properly there was more complaining. Farmers wanted mechanical grading and then they didn't.

• Advertisement

I suppose I'd be classified as one of those feeble minded IFA levy paying farmers - we're actually annual subscribers and I've no hesitation renewing our annual sub. In fairness the IFA represented Irish farmers well during the reference years - I suppose I can say that as someone who is still sitting on the pigs back whilst watching the hind quarters disappear.

Edit to add - I'm outta this discussion for now. We were up just after five this morning loading cattle for the factory - heading horizontal now.

Actually Base, Irish factories did not make up that grid, That's the accepted 15 point grid for VIA technology across europe

I never said or suggested that Irish factories made up the grid.

The original EUROP+E (EE) grid was devised at the time in the EU and I think also for EEA member States. It is so far removed from the current livestock grading system that is currently operated in Ireland.

Are you that sad, 5 or 10 claiming excessive salaries out of possibly 500 farmers working for you on miserly expenses, you've really set your level here tonight.

It's supposed to be more accurate, It's their perogative but the price should be within the original blocks

Is that what the grid is now, Rs were always the base price Farmers themselves wanted +6 for the top Rs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I wouldnt have begrudged them the salaries if they had protected their members . Many workers in areas outside of agriculture pay their representative bodies many multiplies of what farmers paid to the IFA . The difference is the representation that they receive . That is what really annoys me . I accept that being a shop steward or whatever is largely a thankless job but I have yet to hear a trade union rep ( or a former one ) coming out to take am employers side . Build your factory Etc

What a despicable attitude to portray to your fellow workers .

Make no mistake I'm no ones rep now, I work for no one, At one stage I was getting over 900/ha in subsidies through various schemes, my lease is tax free, I'm getting the contributory pension, when my father retired he had to hand over the farm to get the pension, all this and more was lobbied for, We changed the guidelines for land aquisition for roads that hadn't been changed since the 19th century that put millions in farmers pockets. To say members wasn't protected is a bit sad just because beef processors weren't paying enough for a product that wasn't compulsory to sell them.

I wouldn't waste my time going after the beef processors, If you think you can do better on ya go

Again, a very insular view . I’m all right Jack . How many farmers would have benefitted from the County Councils CPOing their land for road improvement ? A handful in the counties where the motorways were built .

It isn’t necessary or compulsory to work in any field ( pardon the pun ) no more than it is compulsory to work to produce beef for Goodman et al. I accept that . My point still stands - Show me one example of a union leader that openly bats for those on the other side of the table ?

You went as far as to say upthread that you haven’t given a sh1t above beef prices for sometime now . Can you imagine if Phil Ni Sheadha or her predecessor came out and said something similar about nurses pay ? That won’t ever happen because there is a loyalty there to their colleagues .

That is the kind of representation that has benefitted their workers and that has been sadly lacking in farming .

It's no more than you deserve, I doubt anyone knew that I didn't want to protest because it was wasting my time. plenty times I looked for support here only to be met with derision. I'm not a farm leader now and I can say as I feel, Beef Plan and their poor support should show you the loyalty and lazyness of farmers and how I could forecast exactly how it would end.

It took some loyalty on my part to manage kilbeggan protest and work from 6am to 2 am because I was guest speaker at branch AGMS at the same time in 2013. Don't forget I was a sheep farmer, made no difference to me how it ended

If asked the nurses would withdraw their services, farmers wouldn't withdraw their cattle, what did they expect. sad lot. When you can't even threaten to withdraw the cattle you're just wasting everyones time, But sure it's alright to waste IFA officers time I suppose......no one should have to stand at the gates to block farmers when asked to withdraw .

You couldn't have anything to do wth them. I doubt if any of you ever worked voluntary for farmers and until you do you haven't a clue, The joke is that even if they did withdraw their cattle the factories would just wait for them to eventually come.

I preached all through 2012 not to feed **** frieisian bulls unless you talk to your factory first, it was nice in 2013 that i could say'' I told you so'' as my advice was met with derision the previous year. Of course IFA was blamed for that too, where do you lot get off.Very poor management of any business to be depending on one outlet. Thankfully most good farmers have grown up and work well with the factories

There was 1500 acres CPO'd in Westmeath alone, I got nearly a million for 14 acres thanks to IFA deal.

Post edited by wrangler on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Interesting ...except I'm not telling an "independent business how to run"......that independent business is telling me how to run mine to suit themselves, they are taking away my independence in effect.

If you look at how big chicken processors in the States operate, age limits are straight out of their playbook and a lot of other dirty tricks too and I see it going that way here too.......

If you examine the effects of something like that 30 month limit it is absolutely in the favour of the processors and merchants and **** with my business and my ability to withold stock when I want to if I'm not happy with price offered and take my chances later without knowing its a losing game.............thats stepping out of their business and into mine and its only a step on the ladder to making independent farmers more and more controlled by processors/vested interests

Think of it......that limit puts a deadline on when I have to shift stock, takes away a bargaining chip a much larger group of farmers should have (And they need all they can get). That plays into the hands of the processors in that over time it turns it even more into a high volume low price game if you want to make money and also means to have some stock fit in time I have pump them with meal etc.......none of that is in my or most smaller farmers best interests as it lowers prices due to higher volume and means more spent on inputs especially when everyone is swimming in the same direction, then they have to come up with other levers to lower prices beyond what they should have..... which imo is market rates and a decent cut for their efforts, but thats not what the 30 month limit is.......its in no way good for me and thats not whinging or moaning as you insultingly like to call it. Simply stating facts, If I'm wrong ill accept a reasoned argument and apologise but somehow I think you are just going to try characterise me as childish for giving and opinion and instead of trying to back it up your with some reasoning regale all with anecdotes and real or imagined hardships at the hands of IFA members in the past and throw in a sneaky insult in your own inimitable abrasive style Ive come to enjoy (somewhat perversely).

Anyway I'm not in the IFA, I left them behind long ago as they don't represent my interests and I'm not in beefplan either so Id appreciate it if you wouldn't include me in the bitching and moaning about them as if I'm some sort of representative sample that proves your point......... whatever it really is. BTW if we are doing anecdotes, a good while back I wasn't allowed get entitlements because I paid market rent to my parents on their small farm when they took that farm retirement scheme...Imagine that, I pay a fair rent to my elderly parents for land I rented off them to get going and that's probably the guts of 100k lost due to bad advice and what I should have done is pay them zero or a "nominal" amount of about a euro..... and I can tell you the IFA and local politicians were SFA use too..so your experience of the system and mine are very different.....

Now as for the Rubbish cattle over 30 months.............thats bullshit, I know this for a fact having had one of mine slaughtered and divided up amongst the family years back.....I know this because some of the best beef you can get comes from Dairy Cows let out to grass after they have been in the dairy industry for years......there isnt some magic age limit that once you go past it the beef magically becomes "rubbish".....there might however be a scientific argument that pumped animal at 22 months might not be the best quality or most flavoursome beef you could get.......I've heard it described as bland by people willing to pay a hell of a lot for the good stuff tbh......instead of telling me its childish do you think you could tell me what justification it has beyond lowering prices for the product I produce....

Anyway afaics a previous poster hit the nail on the head, your attitude is very insular, its an I'm all right jack attitude. I doubt you would admit it but I also doubt you would like it if I called you childish for continually bringing up bad experiences at a voluntary role. Maybe all of us havent done well out of the set up the way it is and didnt get the million in compensation for CPOed land etc and think its going in a direction where we are going to be more like the poor indentured slaves raising chickens for monopolies like Tyson in the states.

Customer will always be setting the standard in any field and they'll always suit themselves, OH is on a negotiating commitee for our group against ICM and the experience would educate a lot of farmers.

I told everyone on here exactly how the Beef plan protest would finish, Processors cannot let a protest succeed, they could never guarantee supply to their customers while there was a chance farmers could be trying their luck. It's not rocket science.

Scarcity is the only thing that'll change them and even at that they're unlikely to contract to supply more than's available for very long.

Coming from a sector that bankrupted 3 or 4 factories, we're in a poor position to tell them how to run the business

I don't care whether 22mth beef is better or worse but that's what my customer wanted so that's what he got

It Is Not the Strongest of the Species that Survives But the Most Adaptable

I ain't telling them how to run their business....I'm saying they shouldnt have the ability to tell me how to run mine using spurious age limits. That's a lever they shouldn't have, it's overstepping the margin by a long way and there's no justification for it.

It's corrupt fuckology but if someone can explain to me how it isn't I'm all ears.

Unfortunately no one owes you a living in this world

Wtf has that to do with my question/statement

I'm not at all sure how anything I wrote in the post you are replying to means I think anyone owes me a living.....As far as I can see its an attempt not to address the point I was making/obfuscate/sidetrack.

I do think I owe it to myself to state an opinion, back it up with some sort of reasoning and be willing to listen to other peoples views if they have any sort of reasoning .... quite curious to know what your reasoning for saying the above is.

BTW your customer wants the 22month beef off you so you can be less independent and more under their control.......not a good thing for most of us long term.

You're implying that they should consider their suppliers when setting the standards,ie. whether they make a living or not. they don't have to consider anyone only themselves surely.

Only penalty they'll have, is if they go too hard on their suppliers they won't have any suppliers

• Advertisement

Ah.....well that at least makes sense.

No, you might have taken that implication from it but I'm not naive, I don't expect them to do anything except feather their own nests tbh.....that probably explains why you thought I was childish for expressing an opinion.

I'm not expecting them to change and consider their suppliers at all (unless they go so hard they have to because it will threaten their bottom line).....Its every man/woman and whatever gender you are having yourself for him/herself etc in this world.

I was simply expressing an opinion that there's zero justification for a 30 month age limit beyond the industry driving up production driving down prices and supplying a number of vested interests with increased income while slowly reducing the income and living standards of the farmer....and I stand by that until I'm proved wrong.....and that's something I think is a better course of action than que sera sera it is the way it is and that's it and if you question it or make an argument against it you are derided as childish.....

On a related note I see a teagasc professor writing in the journal today stating reducing slaughter age will reduce GHG emissions.....

I'm raging I can't go to Beef 2022 and put a couple of questions to him regarding how that's possible in the broader context of the industry and what it encourages in terms of higher throughput, more inputs etc....I wonder if its possible the claim is bring made by considering what they want to consider and ignoring the overall context? As I'm finding it difficult to see how less animals putting on weight naturally for higher prices wouldn't be better for farmers and the old GHG emissions....I expect I'd get some **** waffley hand wavey shite initially and then brushed over and told I couldn't possibly understand if I pressed any further........but seeing as it's out there I wonder if anyone here could take a stab at answering ....how if you take all factors into account is this increased "efficiency" good for

1) the environment and 2) my livelihood longterm

I don't read the journal much now I presume he meant reduce emissions per head, Physically they'll emit less per head if they're killed at 26mths instead of 30mths, either reduce the number of animals on the farm by10% or reduce the length all the animals are on the farm by 10% ,same effect, It's up to the farmers themslves to work out which is best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

For cattle/sheep to be killed younger would the not need feed supplement to ensure correct fat score? Which adds additional emissions.

It is complete nonsense to be suggesting that cattle should be killed at a younger age . There is no justification for the thirty month limit let alone anything younger . Pump the cattle with meal a lot of which is imported ? That will help farmer margins and the environment

Is this the best that a professor can come up with ?

I suppose cattle are the bad boys of emissions, Acre of barley (3 ton) would finish 6 cattle in instead of having them on 6 acres for an extra three months.

I'm not following this climate change bolloxology, it won't affect me

Whether you want to follow it or not, you’ll be paying for it just like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

The 30 month rule is an irritant. But it's absolutely the right of the factory to require/insist on applying it. It is only a pricing issue - though a few years ago I was told by an ABP plant that they didn't want over 30 month cattle for the foreseeable future. Farmers have the choice to supply under age - or take the hit. It is no different to the other regs - weight limits upper and lower, fat score, conformation, breed bonuses etc.

+1

I was beginning to think there was no realists left on F & F

• Advertisement

There's no choice longterm and it has no scientific basis or underpinning. Its a very different thing to breed bonuses etc.

It's a lot more than the irritant you are painting it as.

Advertisement