Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hot Chili Peppers - June 29th 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ole olers were out in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jimbob93

It was my 5th time seeing the Chili Peppers and I thought last night was the best.

Setlist was best of the tour so far. Was BSSM heavy. Highlights were 'If you have to Ask' 'Otherside' and the Jam they done at the Intro.

Frusciante is an absolute beast on guitar and helps raise the other guy's game big time.

We were lucky not one drop of rain fell despite the forecast..

No bother getting the Luas at balally afterwards. Great night and an enthusiastic crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'm asking this one politely. Because old timers with long memories like me remember that criticism on Boards of a certain concert promoter in the past was met with injunctions and all sorts of legal threats. But did anybody have trouble getting home last night?

I was not at the gig, but I have friends who were. Up from the country. Staying in Dublin. No buses or taxis to be had, they said. Were they just looking in the wrong place? And of course, the lack of buses and taxis is not primarily the responsibility of the promoter. Still. One might expect that special arrangements might have been made.

My friends had to walk home. Albeit to the south side.

Anyone else have problems?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I had transport pre-booked to get me there and back on Monday and last night and it worked well. I wouldn't have liked to have been relying on public transport. Read many stories of people being left stranded by public transport this week.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Cill94

Very mixed feelings on that gig - felt kind of, lifeless? Songs were performed very well and setlist was okay, and great drumming from Chad. But Frusciante, and Kiedis in particular, looked very disinterested, with no real effort made to create a buzz with the crowd. Sound was also pretty poor. Frusciante's guitar was almost inaudible on some songs.

Overall I'd not be interested in seeing them again. Real shame as the Slane 2003 gig always looked spectacular.

• Advertisement

They were better the previous year supporting U2!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I walked to Rathfarnham to get a lift so could've been a lot worse, but there was a general sense of hopelessness of everyone walking out of the festival.

The Gardaí and local authorities obviously had a strict traffic management in plan place but it seemed to cater more towards local residents than punters trying to get home. I left out the exit on Grange Road and that entire road was blocked off understandably, and flooded with thousands of people. Walked up past the Eden House pub and went right towards Rathfarnham and that road was also closed off to traffic including public transport. Eventually it reopened around the Circle K but traffic was heavy and congested as this was where a lot of people had arranged lifts and taxis.

Don't think it was the promoters fault although not sure how much say they have in that side of the planning. Marlay Park is an awkward place to get to and not really accessible by many forms of public transport, particularly when the buses are not allowed to run through some of the main routes.

Really good concert though and was impressed with the set up of it, no queues getting in, not many queues for food or bars or toilets and all seemed to move quickly, good sound I thought despite what others said here. I'm only a casual fan of the Chilli's and got a freebie ticket last minute but had a great night overall. Anderson Paak very good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'm not a great live music fan but my wife is and i got a couple of tickets through work. Wasn't expecting a lot given the mixed reviews of previous Chilli live gigs but enjoyed the event. We stayed near the back of the venue, maybe 1/4 of the way to the stage and i thought the sound was poor, couldn't make out what they were saying when they were talking on stage. The gig was a little lifeless, they didn't seem to put much effort in to interacting with the crowd. The crowd got going a good bit when the older stuff was played but aside from that it was a bit underwhelming.

No queues for the food stands really, and I wasn't interested in trying the crap beer so can't comment on that. No queues getting in either and no rain.

There was masses of people all heading along the closed roads afterwards, but where to I have no idea. We parked in Dundrum town centre and cycled to the park, which was really easy. €3 for parking and no hassles with buses or taxis on the way home. Just had a few hundred meters of dodge the drunk lemmings on the way back to the carpark!

In all, not a bad gig but i might have a different review had i paid for the tickets in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

From Marlay to Dundrum Town Centre or Balally Luas is no more than a 35 minute walk. More people need to head that way after concerts, instead of just walking in any direction and hoping for the best.

I live in Balally and went to GnR. There's a walk/cycle path from Marlay to Dundrum Centre/Balally Luas station. There was only a handful of people walking on it on Tuesday night. By the time I got to Balally I was the only one. If I was getting the Luas I would have been on it by 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jimbob93

If this country had proper organisation like concerts in mainland Europe.

There would have been 50 or 60 buses all lined up along the road going to city centre after the concert and More Regional Buses for people visiting from down the country.

Also there should have been 3 or 4 luas lined up one after the other in Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So say 5000 people head that way, what's going to happen when there's still only one Luas every 15 minutes? Would have been half 11 at the earliest getting there after green day or RHCP, That leaves 4 Luas's for thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

But how many people would genuinely go to a gig where there could be 20,000 people (that's just a guess), and not have any plans made about how they were going to go home. If that was the case, then it's pretty clueless.

In fairness it's a shlte place to get out off. Is the Phoenix Park any better??? Maybe not, but it has better roads around it, and a shorter distance into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

This was my main issue. I really cannot believe how many great gigs are ruined by poor sound engineers. John's guitar was so low in the mix, it stopped a lot of songs from taking off. When he went for a solo the sound would increase and drop back down immediately after, it was awful! The band were playing a blinder. Especially Anthony he was in amazing form. I think it could have been a really great gig if the front house crew done a better job. Enjoyable all the same! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Well not everyone would have to get on the Luas, that's why I said Dundrum Town Centre too. Hundreds could have parked there, or the old Dundrum Shopping Centre

Anyway, from 11.30 to 12.30 there would be 5 trams in each direction. 10 trams x 400 capacity would clear 4,000 people. There's also some bus options from Dundrum village (not great though).

The point I way trying to make was, nobody was heading in that direction, but I'm hearing loads of people complaining that there was no public transport and people ended up walking for miles.

Ideally as stated above there should have been 50 buses outside ready to take people to Dundrum, City Centre or even the Red Line Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

I had the very same complaint about GnR (see the GnR thread here), Slash's guitar was completely drowned out. When we could hear it the sound was badly muffled and not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Where were you standing? There was more people standing near the entrance, which is kindof mor raised than there was down right in front of the stage but towards the back. The sound was really good if you were in front of the stage, but it was terrible if you were in the area where everyone gathered at the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

It depends where you decided to stand. The more you stand to the side of the stage, the sound gets worse. Its unbelievable how mnay people gathered at the entance where the sound was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I'm sorry but this is the most hipster comment I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

"Ideally as stated above there should have been 50 buses outside ready to take people to Dundrum, City Centre or even the Red Line Luas."

That's what surprised me when I heard. Because one time when I went out, I think to see Paul Weller some years back, there were loads of special buses laid on to take people back into the town centre. They were parked up in the park itself, I seem to remember. Certainly I had no difficulty back then, but that was in the good old days.

Feck it, when I went to see Bob Dylan/Neil Young in feckin' Kilkenny a few years back there were special buses laid on to and from Dublin. No problem getting up and down on the day.

All this takes is organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Even Belfast. I was at Iron Maiden in Ormeau Park a few weeks ago, belted up in the afternoon with no idea how I'd get back to Belfast city centre where I was staying, anyway as I exited the gate there were Ulsterbus TransLink shuttles for anyone at the gig and free of charge.

Marlay Park is not the Gobi Desert. It beggars belief there's no public buses put on for these gigs given the push to get everyone off the roads in general and use public transport.

Very glad to hear the weather stayed dry, as at around 8pm there were torrential thundery downpours on the northside.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it's at least partly a lack of personnel issue. A lot of professional drivers understandably got out of driving taxis/buses during the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭bergipau

We were standing to the right of the right lighting tower & just outside the gold circle. So we were to on side but not way off on the edge

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Twas 2 years prior. 2002 they played Landsdown and were shite. Though it was a shite venue. Supergrass put in the best gig of any band I ever saw there. 2001 Slane they just let rip for the 50-60mins they had. 2003 they didn't have to work as hard but had a great time because Queens of the Stone Age and Foos were increible line ups

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It just adds to the authentic californication experience which was kind of famously ruined by the production/mixers

Ah ok. Yeah was at Lansdowne to and it was pooh alright. As was the Phoenix Park whenever that was. With the Pixies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yes, that was a big crowd but i ended up leaving after the Pixies - well, i gave the Chilis 15 mins but they were awful boring, going through the motions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Dublin Bus had to delay bus connects routes being opened for the last few months due to driver shortage. Bit deluded in that context To expect Dublin bus to magically have a 100 buses waiting to bring people back into town after the concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Gutted, landed in Glasgow yesterday for the gig this evening.

looks like they are rescheduling but with a packed tour it’s hard to see when that will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Great gig, really enjoyed it, got a free gold circle ticket last minute. Had never seen them before so can't compare with other gigs but the band seemed on solid form and I found the sound surprisingly great.

Venue at times seemed a bit mobbed with people but it calmed down when the band came on and everyone found their spot. Queues for toilets, food and bar were grand, no issues there. Leaving the venue there was a bit of a crush getting out but once on Grange road it was plain sailing to Ballaly luas stop, got on no problem, no major squeeze etc. Had heard about the issues earlier in the week so just used a bit of forward planning (go to Ballaly instead of Dundrum as most will default to that stop) and had no issues. It goes without saying that they really should of had tonnes of dedicated buses heading back to the city and increase the luas schedule for an hour or so but thankfully it was all good in the end

• Advertisement

Gold Circle, right hand side of stage. Sound was equally poor when I moved back closer to food tents though. I agree sound will always be better in some spots, but I've been to plenty of outdoor gigs with much better sound overall.

Advertisement