Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I've a few friends all in the early to mid 30s bracket that were actively looking / bidding on houses, in the last few months they have pretty much all given up.

Combination of only junk houses available, and not seeing any value, plus the increase in renovation costs is making houses that need work more and more unappealing.

Most have reasonable priced rentals as they've been renting in the same places for a few years.

I'm not sure wether they are expecting better supply to come along, or a drop in prices, but they have clocked out for now.

Im not sure it would. It brings prices back to what they were 18(?) months ago, and those that have bought their forever home won’t care too much about the price in the short term.

I think it needs a much bigger fall than 10-15% to really change the landscape. That might happen of course. But I think that pent up demand, shortage of supply, and cost of building, will put a floor under prices

a full blown recession, with high levels of job loss accompanied by persistent high inflation, could blow the market out of the water though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Curios, do folks on this thread think the current rental market is sustainable ? Average rent is about €2k to €3K in Dublin - If somebody is on 40K a year their monthly salary is €2.6K a month (per https://salaryaftertax.com/ie/salary-calculator), even if both are working (example 80K together) it is hard to make ends meet. Long term I don't see this viable and we are eventually something has to give. What and when is the next question !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No, quite simply. The rental situation for people with families that receive no government assistance is completely untenable, like it's only a matter of time at this point that something gives. €2.5k pm seems to be the minimum rental cost for a 3 bedroom place in and around Dublin, which is out of reach for a lot of families without drastic cutbacks on household spending, so much so that even those with good family incomes struggle (especially once childcare costs start to get factored in). The only way out is emigration or buying a home but unfortunately for a lot of families who are renting, it looks like they may miss the boat for getting a mortgage mainly due to age (ie as they tumble towards 40). Given the trends are towards more people renting longer term, how can it be sustainable to not facilitate families being created in rental communities?

They say demand is there until it isn't which really just means that it can disappear even when all indicators would not have confidently predicted demand to disappear. However, equally, I do not see the current situation being sustainable!

I think you’re right but the demand for these houses and large apartments is being maintained by younger people who are much more prepared now to live in multi occupancy until later in their lives. It’s become the norm

families getting squeezed out in this dynamic.

i moved into my development in the early noughties and it was all young couples, singles and small families. Now it is overwhelmingly multi occupancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

To put some more figures on the consideration (we are a working family renting so I'm using what would be our costs);

Rent for a 3 bed €2.5-3k pm.

Childcare €800-1200 pm.

Energy and internet €200 pm.

Car €350 pm (loan, insurance and petrol).

Food €480-600 pm.

Total for bare essentials; €4330-5350pm.

For us we have a household income of €7250k pm but that comes from a €100k and €40k salary. Apparently good salaries but not really feeling well off!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Plus our market never reached anything like the levels of New Zealand which is a lower income country than Ireland yet had 30% higher house prices

Rents are crazy here but not house prices

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nidge20131

I earn 40,000 a year and turn 30 this year. I just see no hope at all.

I mean I currently live at home, I have no way of ever owning in Dublin as things stand. I could rent a studio for 1400, 200 in bills and then live off the extra 1000.

The only issue with that for me is the massive stigma around renting in this country, its culturally looked at as being for failures, despite it costing so much. I was extremely embarrassed about that status when I rented previously. I considered emigration but its the same across as western cities.

Id be happy enough renting for life, using future inheritance to buy a holiday home in Spain and then retiring to that place in old age. But its the shame, embarrassment and stigma around renting that hurts and makes that seem like no life. The idea of the boomers that a house is the sign of hard work and you are lazy if you dont own will stick around as a stigma until they are dead

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

I agree with most of this. The point I'm making is that a sale price dropping from 500k to 425k, for example, is very significant for prospective buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

It sucks that you feel this way. While I don't doubt that there are some (crappy) people in your life making you feel like this, I can assure you that the vast majority do not look down on those that rent. Plenty look at them with envy!

• Advertisement

The biggest problem is housing in Ireland is the shame and stigma of renting. Renting is kind of the last taboo, like what a single mother used to be, a source of shame. If I could just not feel like a lesser person or second class due to not owning a home Id happily rent in areas I like and start to live again, instead not owning a home, and my older siblings (40 and 45) telling me about the need to get on the ladder has lead me to mass depression and anti anxiety medication. I cant see any hope or reason to live if I cannot buy a property in Dublin.

Oh I agree. It’s rough for upper middle earners. My point was that culturally we have moved to a point where 2 young people and a young couple will now happily rent that house for €3k. Less than €1k each. So don’t know that rents will fall substantially. Whereas multi occupancy a decade ago was much less a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

You were seriously embarassed renting in yours 20s? There is literally no shame , stigma with renting in your 20s. Possibly for living at home tho.

It’s a very big deal for perspective buyers. And I think it’ll pit a natural floor under any price drops….there’s still a lot of demand and limited supply, especially of houses.

apartments will see much bigger falls I would guess

Im the youngest of 3 by 11 years. Siblings bought in early 20s in the mid 2000s. Parents bought in early 20s in the 80s, grandparents bought in early 20s in the 50s. I have literally no culture or norms around renting. I never knew anyone who didnt own growing up or didnt grow up in owner occupied housing. In school etc it was just normal to make jokes about the local council estate.

Put it this way, I lived in a Vulture Fund estate paying 1400 to share at age 26 and I felt like a total loser since I didnt own it. If I could rent without being second class it would really really help

I think I need to start to hang out with more people my own age and ignore comments people online make about wages as that makes me feel like ****

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

What people find hard to believe is this, the government created and wants that exact situation and are doing everything to keep it.

Yeah man , im 30 and renting while around 30/40% have bought around me its only couples anyway like. Most people dont give a **** and only **** would treat people like a 2nd class citizen for renting , thats madness , defo hang around with sounder folk!

This is what no one seems to grasp. This is not an accident and in fact it was what everyone seemed to want 10 years ago. After 2008 we as a society kind of came to the idea that giving people mortgages they could not afford had caused our ills and therefore we would all rent from now on. Michael Noonan in particular brought in rules to make this happen, this is where the tax breaks for funds and the central bank lending rules. Then when the middle classes could no longer buy as a result they (myself included) ended up in a rental market not fit for purpose and all that has come since

If we did relax lending rules, or reduced building standards it would mean that average income citizens could once again buy, this would lead to a building boom as developers could sell them. An often un mentioned issue is that it is not viable to build apartments or average income housing since the cost of building is higher than what someone on 40,000 is allowed to get in a mortgage under lending rules

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

IMO the current housing market, in Dublin anyway, is priced on 2 x 100k incomes per household. The multinationals are paying strong salaries to 'younger' workers.

As for waiting for value in the housing market in Dublin, it does not exist. you have to pay top price for a house unfortunately. If there is perceived value then lots of potential buyers will jump on it and that drives up the price anyway. Time in the market is better than trying to time the market I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

As someone said above, 10-15% only brings back prices where they were 12-18 months ago. Rising interest rates and tightened lending might even negate the benefit entirely.

Early, going on mid-30s, average income - that deposit (with very little to spare) is just down to years of accumulation rather than being well off. I'd say for non-homeowners, that's average.

• Advertisement

Id say at a push, 5% of 30 somethings make 100k. What are the 95% of people meant to do? Are we really expected to house share or rent studios for life?

Thats horseshite , I am very close to the mortgage industry and 150k is in no way shape or form an average deposit for non homeowners. Go back to your caviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Unfortunately that sounds very like a you problem. Some would think it is kind of poetic justice that you insulting people for living in council housing and now would be grateful for it. You have put a lot of importance and assumptions into owning a home. The rest of the country is not judging you for not being a homeowner. Being of a different generation to you your siblings distorts your view.

Why you are looking at older people salaries is beyond me it certainly will make you feel bad. The thing you need to realise a few years between buying have made massive differences to peoples lives. A friend of mine bought a house 3 years before we did and as a result they have a house twice the size of ours in a nicer neighbourhood and half our mortgage. There has been a huge disruption to our society as a result where traditionally high earners lived in the most expensive areas but that doesn't apply as it once did.

If I said in school anything about council estates I would have been beaten up as I went to school with many who lived there. My grandparents were moved out of a tenement to social housing in the first wave of social housing where my mother grew up along with her sisters. They all became landlords along with their own properties. All of the grandchildren own their homes and more. You may have been just a dumb kid back then insulting social housing but it sounds like now you are looking down your nose at yourself not others like you were then.

When you see it laid out like that it shows how hard it is. There is of course people earning less than that see you as rich. One of the salaries is good and the other is average if they were both average you would certainly be suffering. There are a lot of people on less who bought houses in a much better situation. I know I have already said it but Irish society has a huge changes happen already and they continue.

I sold my first house to an architect. He wasn't a developer it was as a home and an ex council house but on a main road not in the estate. Many of the houses on that road now have well paid professionals living there. Good location for transport, schools, shops, cinema etc... People just saw the value in it as house prices rose. When we bought it our friends all were buying further out to get bigger houses in new estates thinking we were mad to buy an ex council house that needed work but we just didn't want to commute like they were willing to. When time moved on they all sold and moved closer to Dublin but downsized and paid extra for the pleasure while we got a minor mortgage increase managed to get a bigger house in a nicer area. In the end of the day we have a much more expensive house with a smaller mortgage than them but we all started out with roughly the same money. Then there are people I know with even more expensive houses and smaller mortgages than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The stats are there for anyone to look at. I didnt come up with the information. But people pointing at other countries and not looking at what is different to our country. What exactly am I lying about to myself about?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

To word it slighly different it needs a strong combined income to buy a house in Dublin. Both from the initial deposit and then through to repayments. A single salary of 100k will not cut it and it needs to complemented by an additional income which is not insignificant.

It is hard to beleive that any Irish government had/has a plan that works so well. Reality is things required to reduce hosuing and rent costs the government would have to do several things the public don't want.

Make repossession easier to reduce mortgage rates

Make evictions easier to reduce rent costs

Those 2 things would actually improve things dramatically but Ireland has a post colonial chip on its shoulder about such things and then still believes the government planned this all along. I don't believe the government are capable of such great planning as there is no sign they are competent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Honestly the next recession is going to be caused by greed. The middle class is fecked and has been for a while. Low income gets subsidies for housing, rich get richer as their asset appreciate. While the middle class (40K - 50K) are spending most of their income on rent and locked out of the property ladder. Now with inflation hitting everything from energy cost, fuel, food.. something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

40k to 50k is not middle class! Nobody erning that amount of money could put bread on the table without help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I assume if they're not 'well off' but have more than 150k in the bank they robbed a bank / are in organised crime?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement