Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You'd need a few choice misogynistic words first. Suggesting someone spends more time in the media than at work highlights possible questions over priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A continued decline in the RedC polls might change opinions in FG. Bear in mind that Varadkar has lost seats in ever election that FG contested since he was installed as leader. Far from being some great new hope for FG, he's been a disaster. He would have been gone after the 2020 GE only for the Covid pandemic making a mess of politics. The report by Michael Ring into FG's performance in the GE that mentioned that 4 out of every 5 FG seats were in danger may have helped some FGers realise that the party is in trouble both in the polls and potentially at any future election with Varadkar as leader. RedC uses a 40K panel rather than a random sample of the electorate so FG would be foolish to place their hopes on just RedC. The B&A polls tend to favour FF and FF's support is likely to be between the RedC % and that in B&A's. If FF starts to consistently outpoll FG in B&A and rise in the others (RedC and Ireland Thinks) then FG members may be a bit more worried.

Regards...jmcc

FG is in a class of its own when it comes to hating each other. I think that there was even a TV series on the history of FG that documented it. O'Connell wasn't a member of Varadkar's clique and voting against Varadkar in the leadership contest effectively destroyed her chances in FG. The problem for FG was that it also lost a relatively safe seat in what is the FG heartland. While there is a competitiveness for nomination in parties, FG seems to have a habit of working against its own best interests.

Regards...jmcc

To a pretty well-known ex-FF minister who prospered from the rise in SF support. TBH I think you are reading far too much into the significance polls. A snapshot in the middle of an economic crisis is never going to go well for incumbents. Even so, there is no election on the horizon for the best part of two years so polls just say that people are currently unhappy.

Varadkar will get his stint and most probably lead them into a 2024 election. How that goes is anyone's guess but in their favour is the obvious repeat option of a stable government. A SF return of over 60 seats neither guarantees government nor stability so both traditional parties may well be able to limp into another five years in power, even at lower rates of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭CarProblem

Also:

SF previously opposed EU treaties => SF bad forever

Varadkar previously opposed adoption rights for gay couples => can someone not change their mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The report by Michael Ring into FG's performance in the GE that mentioned that 4 out of every 5 FG seats were in danger may have helped some FGers realise that the party is in trouble both in the polls and potentially at any future election with Varadkar as leader.

I wonder what that report is based on. I suspect it may have been put out there to dispel complacency among FG TDs, even those holding what might be perceived as 'safe seats'. Certainly even FG 's poorer opinion poll results don't suggest seat losses on anything like that scale.

This guy is predicting slight seat gains for both FF and FG in the next election, with SF's seat gains coming at the expense of the rest of the left.

IMO he is underestimating SF's gains but even if FG were to come in a bit down on that in the low 30s under Varadkar, it think that would be a decent showing, given they will have been in power for nearly 15 years at that stage, and economic conditions are likely to remain turbulent between now and then.

Apart from the poll toppers, all other seats depend on transfers. Ring's report is something that responsible political parties do as an election post-mortem. These reports would, I think, be based on transfer patterns and votes.

That website is an interesting analysis but it may miss the fratricide effect for FF and FG. This is where FF and FG candidates will be constesting the same seat and the same votes. A single FF/FG candidate might have enough votes to take a seat but because they are splitting the vote, the candidate that is marginally ahead of both may have a better chance of taking a seat. This played out in the 2020 GE but it was party-specific. (2 FG candidates knocking each other out and a Green taking the seat because they were eliminated.) If the fratricide effect played out on a larger scale for FF/FG, then their seat losses would be worse. FF and FG need to work on their candidate strategy and not make a mess of it like they did in 2020.

The opinion polls generally only survey first preferences. That's fine for a simple First Past The Post system but PR:STV means that the transfers play a much larger part in getting TDs elected. One poll also surveyed second preferences a while ago and it found that FF/FG transfers were staying within FF/FG. The electorate is beginning to treat FF and FG as a single party even if they haven't merged yet. That brand dilution has been caused by Varadkar and Martin and it has played a part in the rise of SF as it has a much clearer and less ambiguous brand.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Jesus this Navan hospital situation is so chaotic. Minister Donnelly seems to be completely ostracised.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The outcome of the election may be predictable but that of the subsequent government arithmetic is not. In reality both FG & FF are a known quantity and inclined to be accommodating to some extent to smaller partners. The question here is whether to do as the Greens have done and get 4-5 years of recognisable policies in place and then hope for the best. That approach may just not work for some possible partners and their voters. I actually think they will be OK this time and should most if not all their seats, because of the times we are in.

The irony for SF is that the more seats they get the less likely they are to secure power, as their only real source of support is on the left and which party of the left wants to cede to the competition. In short, they will become the problem in certain quarters. FG will not deal with them, probably ever, and if FF see an option to return to the present set-up they'll be out too. That just leaves the rag-bag of Independents and no sane party builds a government on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is she the weak link on their party ticket though?

I would imagine Leo does a lot worse than her in elections, I think he got in on the 4th or 5th count? She was only a one-term rep due to Leo. As for Petty - Leo much? Are you forgetting his tantrums? Her paranoia seems to have been justified... IIRC many of her constituents were on the radio during the by-election saying that they wanted to vote for her. Leo had convince Eoghan Murphy to run again when all he wanted was out. Couldn't handle the pressure.

Leo didn't even get the overall FG majority vote for the leadership. I would imagine he is a very weak ticket, The elections that they have lost under him show that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems to me the current government is and has been a rag bag of convenience since day one.

Your probably correct about the possible make up of next government but I'd be curious how these 11 new TD'S will impact on the next GE results, who will benefit, who won't, redrawing constituencies lines may suit some but certainly not other's.

Fascinating discussion on this last night on the late debate.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm just talking about in that constituency and she was by far the weaker of the two candidates. She was a one term rep because of Chris Andrews and the rise of the SF vote. FG were still in around 28%-29% share for both elections but Andrews went from under 10% to 16% in 2020. Varadkar does what he needs to do in a competitive constituency. Do people genuinely do the top of party vote? Mostly I see local preferences at work.

It seemed, according to some reports, that she was the victim of Varadkar's clique. It wasn't the rise of SF that cost her the seat. It was FG's infighting. Varakdar was only elected on the fifth count in his own constituency and he was the outgoing taoiseach. An SFer topped the poll there. Varadkar has been absolutely toxic for FG.

Regards...jmcc

FG got nearly 28% share in 2020. Murphy got 16.03% of that. Andrews on his own got 16.07% so it's pretty obvious it was nothing else. As for the toxic thing well that's a price any party would pay to stay in power for up to 8 years. There are many ways to power and he is aided by the public who will not be specific enough on what it is they want. Bear in mind, the PDs, with never more than 10 seats, were in 4 governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This old chestnut of topping the poll stuff and getting elected on the fifth count rubbish. FG ran two candidates in Dublin West, with a really stretched target of two seats. They fell well short, but if Varadkar had run on his own, he would have been elected on the first count.

if FF see an option to return to the present set-up they'll be out too.

I'm not so sure about that. If FF essentially face a choice between putting SF and FG into power there'll be a big onus on them to go with the former. By that stage FG will have been in power for nearly 15 years and will be looking very jaded. Whereas SF will have a massive bandwagon behind them on likely 70ish seats. If FF cut another deal with FG in those circumstances it'll look like the establishment parties ganging up to frustrate the wishes of the people...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah, ok. Its the way I post them..... right! Even though you dismissed them all out of hand.

If the people made choices other than AB(FFG) one would respect it but they don't and then they get annoyed when parties have to sort out the business of forming a government they say they didn't want. SF really can't win 70 seats plus off 36% and they will be back down by election time. I think FF will favour the status quo over giving up their Republican party claim to SF.

If I commented on some particular aspects of her being female, you may have a point. For example, there was a big pile on Helen McEntee when she announced her pregnancy, people commenting on her hair, her ability to do her job as a mother and being missing from her post because of her having a baby.

THAT is misogynistic.

• Advertisement

90 x 3.5 = 315k

Help to buy gives one an extra 30k to play with.

Add in a 10% deposit, that is a house worth about 380k

There are loads of NEW houses for sale in Cork for much less than that.

Figures seem off at first glance.

Also, a couple on 90k is middle-income people. So quite achievable. Not easy, and it is expensive but it's achievable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I can't see them getting 70 seats but if they got late 50s, I can't imagine FG and FF combination are much more than that. They're 72 now isn't it and they likely drop seats from that based on their performance and people's anger, and Greens drop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its the only area housing can be somewhat linked for a section of the city to the opposition for less than five years, about 7 years ago.

SF really can't win 70 seats plus off 36%

Can't they? FG won 76 seats in 2011 on the back of 36% of FPV. People keep saying SF have peaked in the polls but they keep rising...

Their fortunes have been on steady decline. I wouldn't put too much weight in the current crisis.

varadkar is just not good at his job. There's no escaping that. The only reason FG keep him is the poorer options.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Alls good so, housing marking is grand. 90k and you shouldn't struggle too much to grab a house in Cork.

Thanks for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Here is a two-bed property in Cork city centre, available for €150k, attainable for a single person on less than the average wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Wonder why there's no pictures of the interior?

Might be in a bit of a state.

Advertisement