Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Roscommon who lost to Clare by a point only lost to Galway by 3 so that mean Clare are only 2 points worse than Galway which meeeeeannnnssss

Derry will beat Galway by 10 points 😝

But Galway only beat Mayo by a point but Kerry beat Mayo by 8 so Kerry are only 7 better than Galway so Derry will beat Kerry by 3

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Treble double

I have always defended Gaelic Football and backed that by saying every game evolves, I found Donegals approach interesting under McGuinness and was a means to an end and was happy when a team like Dublin adopted a more adventurous approach.

I find today's Ulster final very hard to defend. When you have a sell out crowd present and you can hear people having conversations there is something wrong with the product. Styles make fights and Donegal mir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

All logic points to having two competitive All Ireland semi finals with little separating the winners and losers, saying different is just dismissive to a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus christ. Mad to think someone would be bothered doing that, like where would you find the time even. Mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was thinking the same thing,mental.

Then I was thinking maybe I'm the eejit engaging with anonymous accounts online.

Hard to know,fair play to the mod involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just saw this article from an ‘Ulster Gael’ claiming victimhood

It really annoyed me as it ignores the main issue at hand. A culture of getting away with it because of the GAA disciplinary system. But instead plays the politicised victimhood card based on a minority of fools online. So now shameful behaviour is now justified when it is politicised ?

I was just thinking that my own county Dublin never had the ‘luxury’ of playing the politicised victimhood card in 1983 CP v Galway, 2006 v Tyrone in Omagh, and 2008 v Meath in Parnell. Or when claims of Dublin eye gouging 2015 AIF and 2016 v Donegal in NFL -

Dublin did not have the luxury’ of playing the poor persecuted ‘Ulster Gael’. Which still seems to be the fashion rather than looking at the facts themselves. The ‘poor me’ - Ulster Gael shtick is a well worn path at this stage.

Isn’t it about time they ‘catch themselves on’? People slag off the Kerry yerra. But Jayus the ‘Ulster Gael’ loves the persecution/victimhood card. A whole other level

Who me ref? Then they play the ‘poor me’ Ulster line.

It sickens me anyway the ‘poor me’ - politicised ‘Ulster Gael’ stuff is a embarrassing. Whatever happened to playing football within the rules?

It seems implied when an Ulster team goes way beyond the rules of the game. It is ‘the South’s fault’ really ?

Before seeing that article I was definitely picking Derry as my ‘second team’ in the semi finals. Like their organisation, get the last drop out of it. Some flair players in spine Rodger’s, Glass, McGuigan. Great heart in the team.

But after seeing such Ulster Gael persecution complex guff. it makes me tend to veer towards the men from the West.

The only GAA politics out West in Galway, is Hurling v Football. And claims that Corofin football is wearing out Daithi Burke for Turloughmore and the Galway hurlers etc. Normal GAA stuff!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah was at that game great football despite the weather, Mikey Meehan running the show and still lost!

Not sure Galway have the quality of backs to stop Derry. Three goals of same type v Armagh. I would eat me Dub hat if Derry don’t get goals.

As for the Dublin v Kerry match. Key for Kerry not giving away handy frees / many frees to Rock. It seems he can close his eyes no matter the range/angle and it’s over the bar. For Dublin to have a good chance of winning, a stop start, niggly game would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We all were. In fairness I'm pretty shocked NAGDEFY was one of them. Very active here and I'm almost certain he used argue with some of those other banned accounts.

Jayus and I thought that poster was reasonable. Obviously needed the 'straight man' account to 'balance' the other ones?! Gives a whole new meaning to talking to yourself!

Anyway youse will be glad to know there is only one @gormdubhgorm spouting about the Dubs.

If there was more than one of me, I don't think I would ever win an argument! Trying to decide who was second best freetaker of all time for Dublin - Cluxton, Barney, Redmond or Keaveney? That conundrum already gives me sleepless nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Just a case that your other accounts haven't been rooted out yet. Give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It was Keveany. Different ball, different man different era, beer belly as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Proposed suspensions notified to both counties.

Regardless of the actual details of the proposals, it must be pretty depressing for the CCCC to know that these will almost certainly be appealed and overturned

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My word, are you sure you're a Dub? Using 'Ulster Gael' as a pejorative as well? My my.

This could have been written by lads sucking pints in Barraduff.

That said, glasagusanoir doesn't have the same ring to it as a username.

It is a bit odd that a 'Dublin Supporter' would post an article that they know will rile up Ulster GAA supporters and then they bring Dublin GAA in to a situation which has nothing to with Dublin. If I didn't know better I would say they were trying to create an argument

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Great to see a fresh semi final with Galway v Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Just for a history lesson. A Dublin player was the last one to get away scot free after breaking someone's jaw in front of 44000 people, none of whom, amazingly were able to identify him afterwards!

Re last weekend, apparently 4 players are facing bans. Galway are set to appeal the Kelly ban tonight though.

Gorm is embracing his new found love of all things Kerry. He also has a pretty dismissive and Partitionist attitude when it comes to our Ulster brethren.

At least Wait for the fabled layered GAA appeal system until you feign injustice, and start a line of whatsboutery. Where you have complete disregard for the facts at issue.

In the past Dublin players and management have received suspensions. Dublin GAA face the rigours of GAA justice like any other county based on the facts.

Examples -

Dessie Farrell 12 weeks 2021 breach of Covid. Following a tip off.

Dublin Meath brawl 2008 Parnell-

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/16-players-banned-after-parnell-park-debacle-26440995.html

‘In addition both County Boards were hit with record fines for the incident, some €20,000 in each case.’

Initially 16 players faced suspensions

In Omagh v Tyrone 2006 the two county boards received 10000 fines. There were bans on for both sides but these were rescinded on a technical issue.

To try and deflect and say what about the Dubs? Is just smoke and mirrors. It ignores the real issues why such brawls are excused in some quarters of the GAA world - as cultural. And also the farcical appeal system in the GAA which makes a joke of any punishments a lot of the time.

A Recent Donegal v Armagh match

Eamon MGee -

‘However, and this is where it gets ridiculous, Kieran McGeeney's team decided to appeal the process and all four of the players, even those who were clearly involved in the scuffle, have had their suspensions overturned.

Amazingly, because Donegal chose not to appeal their two suspensions, both of the aforementioned players will not be available for selection.’

Now Armagh/Galway no doubt have a good legal team behind them. They will be allowed to go through the GAA appeals process.

But On occasion examples are made of high profile players. Appeals are sometimes dismissed in the GAA.

Historically there is a case of a famous Dublin Erin Isles player who received a time based suspension (four weeks for a red in the SF - he appealed it and lost)

It was timed so he would miss the 1998 AI Club football final v Corofin. The suspension finished the next day. That players name was Charlie Redmond. And it arguably cost Erin’s Isle an AI.

But As I said at the beginning the real issue is not Armagh/Galway or even Dublin!

It is an underlying GAA culture encouraged by a process which encourages frivolous appeals . Which most of the time makes a farce of any punishments as they are successful appeals on a loophole/technically.

Recently Ref David Gough has criticised the GAA appeals system for example.

These are the real issues not whataboutism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My favorite appeal is one Cork used in 2006 and Mayo used in 2014.

Player gets sent off for what the referee reports as "attempting to strike"

But the player appeals it on the basis that they actually made contact, so they should have been sent off for "striking".

And thus the red card is rescinded.

@BonnieSituation ‘Ulster Gael’ is a phrase I have heard Ulster GAA people use a lot.

The rest of Ireland do not use ‘ Galway Gaels’ or ‘Dublin Gaels’ to the extent that Ulster GAA uses the phrase ‘Gael’. I used the term ironically as the article above is the antipathy of what an ‘Ulster Gael’ should be IMO.

Defection of wrong doing and playing the political victimhood card. Imagine if Charle Redmond claimed he missed 1998 AIF Club because he was a ‘north side’ Dub? And people claimed he was persecuted because of it in the GAA he would be laughed out of it! And rightfully so!

But yet in for some in Ulster unfortunately the victimhood card is never far away. It seems to me. It is ingrained with some. And even seeps into GAA ‘football articles’ such as Ms Lennon’s. As merely a form of deflection from the real issue - indiscipline in the GAA.

Instead the author cynically went for not a GAA angle, or even an Armagh one. But couched it in a political ‘Ulster’ angle. A deflection tactic IMO.

Also if anything the author Lennon was gaslighting, and IMO played the Ulster victimhood card for clicks.

@Whatdoesitmatter It is a debate forum and I feel the question should be asked. Or is it a no go suddenly excuses and exceptions made?!

The Siún Lennon Armagh article annoyed me, and I gave my opinion it, as to why it did.

You as well are are entitled to agree or disagree with my premise, that author Lennon was deflecting from any wrong Armagh did in the game. And played the victimhood politicised angle which has no place in sport IMO.

I note the two posters above never offered any real counter argument to my opinion as I suspect it would involve a large dollop of cognitive dissonance on their behalf. But of course I could be wrong.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Absolutely disgusting, horrific, shocking scenes, how could Rory o Carroll and Philly McMahon make the conscious choice to do something like that. Cooper and Donaghey were very lucky not to lose an eye there. They should have had the book thrown at them and been banned for life.

This is what Dublin manager Jim Gavin had to say about Rory o Carroll gouging Colm Coopers eye. “ I’m convinced that there was no attempt to gouge Cooper. I spoke to Rory and he said it was just a tussle going for the ball. I spoke to a few players and that’s what they saw. I think a single frame takes one snapshot in time and you need to take a look at the totality of the film. I don’t think that Croke park have made an issue of it”.

Its shocking when you have knuckle dragging GAA stalwarts condoning blatant, deliberate eye gouging like this. The inability of Jim Gavin to condemn eye gouging by his players and admit fault is mind boggling.

That is a good one now alright. Basically the GAA need to get legal advice on closing loopholes as much as possible and any vexatious appeals should result in a increased ban.

You frequently insert Dublin GAA in to incidents which have nothing to do with Dublin. This I find odd. You are either a Dublin supporter with a serious chip on the shoulder or someone claiming to be a Dublin Supporter so you can raise previous incidents involving Dublin just so other posters can have a pop at them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Remind me, how many bans were handed out for the tunnel brawl between Dublin and Mayo players in the All Ireland final 2020? I have googled it but cannot find anything.

Such a stain on the flagship game of the entire GAA season, I imagine the repercussions were heavy.

In any case there is a question of intent and the facts at issue. Was the footage itself conclusive? Was a player going for a ball? Was it accidental? What was the context? Was it on the field of play at speed? Was the alleged gouger aware of where his hand was?

If there is any small doubt of no wrongdoing the GAA appeals process makes it very easy to have a successful appeal.

However If it is very clear and obvious (with no room for ambiguity on intent) and has definite footage even the GAA should have no choice but to lay down the law. But we all know players involved in a GAA Appeal loves a technicality.

In the case of the two captains (Sean Kelly and Nugent) were sent off as tokens they have a good chance of winning an Appeal, especially Sean Kelly. As he was done for ‘contributing to a melee’. When he on the face of it was acting peacemaker.

The other Kelly - Tiernan looks like he is on the face of it, justifiably in trouble. Footage clear, no ball near him, no obvious room for ambiguity. It was done standing not during a speedy passage of play. It was off the pitch. He was one of the subs and had no reason to be engaging.

All these factors should be taken into account. And then on top of all this, could there really be any logical argument that Tiernan Kelly did not show intent to injure in the incident? Honestly?

Tiernan Kelly was looking directly at the Galway player, while both were standing and shoved his hand in the Galway players eye. This is what I saw at normal speed footage, and in context. Not just an isolated snapshot/screenshot.

Also a man of Comer’s bulk is not taken to the ground accidentally at ease. I suppose you have to praise Armagh’s S&C! The only positive for Armagh.

What do you want a response to?

Your Partitionist mindset is well worn at this point. Some cheek for you to infer there's a bias/dissonance when your posts on the matter are dripping with it.

You're managing this transformation into a Kerry fan with a chip on your shoulder as you would expect.

Post edited by BonnieSituation on

I agree Or the Tyrone v Dublin Tunnel brawl just pre Covid.

Ironically such articles by Suin Lennon are partitionist in itself. Creating a them and us and deflecting. You don’t want to comment on that fair enough. But I think Shame on Lennon to turn Armagh wrong-doing on the football field into a political issue. Those who nod and wink and do not call out such articles are equally culpable IMO.

• Advertisement

You must not frequent the boards Dublin GAA page much. I refer to Dublin GAA because it is what I am the most knowledgeable on.

Unlike other posters from other counties who bring up Dublin at every chance. I actually am from Dublin and go to games league/Walsh Cup/O’Byrne championship and club.

I have called out Eoghan O’Gara for stupid reds.

I was even critical of Diarmuid Connolly pushing a linesman (for which got a 12 week ban) stupid stuff IMO. Making the decision easy pointless.

So as much as you want to portray it I do not have a chip. And I will debate GAA with any fair minded GAA supporter all day. No bother.

What I did in referencing (correctly I think) was the cynical use of politics by Siun Lennon to play the Ulster poor me. And deflect from the football issues. Which ironically laid bare the chip on her shoulder.And mindset. I notice you have yet to opine on the article but instead question my credibility. That speaks volumes to me.

Advertisement