Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Obrieski

My phone must be listening to me. No sooner did I post this than both of yesterday's pods came up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

He always sounds like he's dialing in from the Mir space station or from the Argentina '78 World Cup. Maybe using a Nokia 3310 is his thing but it's mildly annoying. I make more effort with my boring daily remote meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm a fan of Murph but his only opinion how people feel about transgender athletes was very black and white and ironically quite narrow minded . He didn't seem to give any thought to people who were legitimately concerned about fairness or safety(combat sports, boxing etc) . He seemed to be lumping anyone who voiced a concern into the same category.

At least Ken gave a more balanced opinion and Eoin tried to reason where people were legitimately concerned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

His comment about it "being weaponised by pricks" makes it clear once again that he spends far too much time on twitter, and that's where his outrage on this seems to be drawn from. It's a serious problem with many journalists, as they seem to feel it's a fair reflection of society, when in actuality a tiny percentage of the population are on there. And that's not even getting into the bots and trolling accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah no nuance whatever.. hilarious that he put it down to culture wars... Failing to see his own black and white position as being the general starting point when engaging in identity politics and culture wars..

I can't understand how quickly women's concerns about trans females get waved away by some people in such reductive manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yep, thought the same about Murph. Weird position.

I've tried to read up about it online and often seen angry posts from people who want trans people in elite sport. Up until now I've found it very difficult to find balanced information on the topic.

Delighted with the episode today. Really helped me understand a lot more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I enjoyed the episode more than I thought I would. Agree with previous posters points about Murph. I found him to be a bit jarring and uneccessarily devicive. Ken added much needed thoughtful nuance and Eoin handled the guest very well.

Joanne Harper has indeed put the leg work into understanding the subject and came across very well in explaining a lot of the ups and downs re performance after hormone therapy etc.

But one nagging thing I was left with was- what about Self Identifying Trans who don't partake in any treatment?

But on the whole a good episode into a tricky subject. Eoin's skills as an interviewer on contentious subjects are (in my view) without parallel in Irish broadcasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Agree with the above comments, the episode was very good and did open my eyes to some of the down sides of hormone therapy which I was not aware of. To me originally, the whole issue just seemed so unfair on female athletes and seemed to be PC gone mad to my eyes. The episode did open my eyes to other elements but I'm still happy with the judgment made.

When Murph started his tirade I literally rolled my eyes thinking here's a woke puff piece on this issue but luckily Ken and Eoin had a much more balanced view. Thought the guest was very good and told the whole story warts and all about the positive and negative elements of this complex issue. It's definitely made me look again at an issue I thought I'd made my mind up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The episode and guest were excellent, extremely balanced and informed. I agree with Murph's kneejerk reaction though - it is generally d!ckheads that are aggressively opposed to trans engagement in sport, largely because there are many d!ckheads who don't want those people to exist, and it is reasonable to simply oppose these people. The issue is absolutely being weaponised by pr!cks, this is not hard to see and it's not exactly hidden - it is "are we the baddies" kind of stuff. The job of figuring out fairness in sport is a lot more nuanced and difficult than this of course, and the guest did an excellent job of articulating some of the actual problems and solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

As others have suggested, it seems a poor move from a rational/journalistic standpoint to approach the topic in such a way. He was likely to garner emotive responses with that kind of statement, but what relevance or benefit does that have for the average listener? There are well regarded scientists and sportspeople who have been outspoken on this, why not evaluate their positions instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Where does that Dunphg 'HotIrish sex' audiobed come from? It's bloody hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He's not wrong though. It is being weaponised by pricks, mostly on social media, and largely by people with little or no interest in sport. Joanna Harper addressed this later on - anti-LGBT groups have had public opinion move very much against them over the last 20-30 years and in the last few years have had significant defeats over same-sex marriage etc. in many countries, so having lost the war on "LGB" they are now turning to attacking "T"

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Couldn't agree more. The arguments about trans women in sport largely comes from people who couldn't give a **** about sport. Liveline was really obvious in that the other week.

The contributor made a really obvious point too, trans women want to play sport and happen to be trans. Men don't pretend to be trans to get an advantage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The intro to yesterday's pod was.....bizarre.

Ken was entertaining on the Pogba documentary.

I'm a Man Utd fan and have Amazon.

There is no way in hell I'd watch it, even if it didn't have the worst reviews in history...

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Don't need to hear from Oisin or Paul next week, only one man's views matter

Sitting in the "guaranteed to be on TV" seat... just a coincidence. Yeah right.

Scrap the cap!

Tomorrow should be interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Might even listen to the gaa pod tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Met Murph briefly yesterday after extra time in the Galway match. He was trying to get a quick pint in before Kerry Mayo, but the queues were manic so had to abandon the pint to make it back for throw in. I threw a 'some game that was Ciaran' at him and he was very friendly in fairness and chatted happily for a minute. I said to him it will make some podcast Monday and he replied 'I picked a bad week to go on holidays for feck sake' and then followed it up with ' I may have to phone in!'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken really does look like a true gael/ member of the waterboys there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Today's podcast with Oisin & Paul is out. I haven't listened to it yet

Ken's trolling in the GAA podcast today is brilliant. If you were listening to Ken for the first time you'd think he was being deadly serious

Ken was class on yesterday's gaa pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

I raised an eyebrow on Murph's chat about the calm demeanor of Padraig Joyce throughout the chaos as I thought that's his job. But then I remembered he lost an air pod at the start of the match and now I have new found respect for Joyce as I would be tearing my hair out looking for that air pod while trying to manage my team in an All Ireland quarter final.

Lol at "one high speed run on the GPS"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Jaysus they are really scraping the barrel with the latest Book Club. Seems like they are doing it for the sake of filling a slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Yeah they seem to be in need of some filler with no football tournament this summer.

Hope they do more Wimbledon coverage, was a little disappointed that the main focus yesterday was on the Russian absentees with just a brief nod towards the actual tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Did Eoin not mention that it was one of the most requested books for the slot?They're just giving people what they want!

Anyways, I'll probably be skipping it as I'm not a huge Richie fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'd say its the laziness of just getting Richie Sadlier to review it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

that's a great book... how is it scraping the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Think they mean the fact its Richie reviewing it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's one of the few Book Clubs I'm looking forward to. Ritchie is OKish, I'm not a huge fan of Paul Kimmage, I've never read the book (won't either). But I know enough about the book and it's verve and with the passing of time I'm interested in how it holds up.

Instead of them seen as "scraping the barrel" I see them more as tackling "the big one".

Could be fun.

I'm not talking about the book. I'm talking about the fact they need to get Richie to review it. Having him be the one to review it very much suggests to me that they either couldn't get anyone else to do it, or they are just phoning this one in to fill some airtime. I think the slot is generally one of the least interesting ones they do, a rare "miss" amongst their many hits.

I don't think the idea of a book review is a bad one, but they never seem to actually review the book with whoever they have as the guest reviewer.

I remember Uncle Jim doing an enthusiastic and detailed review of This Sporting Life apart from that it seems like an interview with the person about their career with an odd reference to the book, Caitriona Crowe was good on that book about Muhammed Ali as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Well having Richie do it should actually make it a book review as they won't be "interviewing" him.

Book club was a decent idea but why do they need a guest at all. 2 of the 3 or all of them could/should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Have often thought this myself, always becomes more about the guest than the book. The film reviews worked well as it was just Murph and Mal talking about the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'd agree with a lot of what was said. The sports book of the year pod is one of the best of the year as there are a few people taking / arguing about the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've never found the bookclub to be a particularly interesting segment, mainly because - as everyone has said - they barely talk about the book.

Which is totally different to the yearly round up, which is reliably great

Maybe it'll be different with Richie as the only new material they'll have will be to talk about the book, but, I dunno, I don't dislike Richie, but I find him a bit dull - he can make interesting subjects boring I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jack9b

On the audiobed with David Bowie's Five Years, can anybody tell me what Ken was referring to when he says to Murph, "Yeah we are going to talk about it because we haven't talked about it before, I think it has been five years and I think it's about time". Always been intrigued by what this may be referring to. Had a quick search through boards but no joy. Thanks!

My vague memory of it was that Murph caused an injury to/mildly disfigured Ken in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's been mentioned before, but the David Silva "put some respect on my name" audio bed is brilliant. No only do i not skip it, its stays funny!

"quarter final, didn't get on"

Something about the music and how Kens rant goes up in tone slightly with each "didn't get on". Amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The audio beds are great in general, but some are ENDLESS. The Mayo / Kerry gaa one, Lmerick winning all ireland and the rugby one are the biggest culprits. They feel like 15 minutes each.

It's my favourite one. Ken puts on a very strange culchie accent at one stage during it and I dunno if it's intentional or not

I don't mind Ritchie but It has the whiff of getting someone from the RTE canteen to go on The Late Late

YES!! "sitting on the sidelines" or something like that. It goes full Oirish haha. Love the audiobed

Ha, Yeah, it's that specific line where he goes full culchie!

• Advertisement
Advertisement