Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

No, again.

Russia’s advantage is due to its massive superiority in numbers of available weaponry and ammunition. Also the fact that the top brass cares not for its people, and is ready and willing to throw any available body into the grinder to get what they want. Ukraine have done a remarkable job fending them off. Most of us here can remember the early days watching this war, watching the street cams in Kiev listening to the gunfire as the world waited for the “inevitable”. But that never happened. It never happened because Ukrainians put their lives on the line to defend their land, never took a step back when the talking heads over this part of the world blathered about humiliating Putin and whether they should send helmets or weapons as a form of help.

Jesus fuckin wept.

Ukraine deserves the help of the west, they deserve a hell of a lot more than they are getting, because when others ran, they stood and fought.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Presumably, like Snake Island, another gesture of Russia's "good will" towards Ukraine.

Every day a new atrocity, already the shopping centre attack is vanishing from media attention. So sad and enraging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Where are these newer weapons, planes and missiles they have managed to buy recently? Are you referring to the equipment they're taking back off Belarus? Or equipment they're buying from China? I haven't seen evidence of the latter but they've certainly been enabling transactions to take place recently. I'm sure satellites are watching though and any large hardware purchases from the Chinese would be picked up.

China, Russia Open Cross-Border Bridge Amid Sanctions, Criticism (voanews.com)

The timing of its opening is significant. Russia and China have come under severe criticism at the summit, and analysts say the bridge is a signal China can help Russia navigate economic sanctions.

The opening comes just one month after a railway bridge linking the two countries was inaugurated. The road bridge in northern China, called the Blagoveshchensk-Heihe Bridge, will carry vehicles across the Amur River. The toll bridge can accommodate 630 freight trucks, 164 buses and 68 other vehicles daily, the Moscow Times reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Dont worry comrade, by the end of this month when the Ukrainian's are fully trained on the weapons that are being delivered at the moment they will push the Russian thugs back to the **** hole they came from.

Just have patience for a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting story from Russian newspaper Kommersant that new banknotes cannot be introduced into circulation as they cannot update their ATMs and cash registers (because of the sanctions). Speculation is that this could take years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

They forgot to add the washing machine and maybe a tractor pulling a tank somewhere in that field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This is the type of thing that could really start to bite in coming months. What happens when ATMs and cash registers start to break down.....will they even be able to repair them? The idea that Russia can turn itself into North Korea and get rid of imports and exports is clearly a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would hate to see another Crimean war scenario of western countries actually invading Russian held territory but i think Nato has to escalate the situation regarding getting the grain out and not allowing Russia to steal it and give it to their allies. If the current situation continues im sure we will alot more immigration from Africa and other places facing food shortages to Europe weakening the European Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭electric_sleep

Wow, now you’re parroting far right “fake Jews” conspiracy theories. The mask has slipped. It’s pretty consistent with your far right leaning that’s on display throughout this thread. (Calling for collective punishment based on race, repeatedly and graphically illustrating your fantasies of piles of dead Russians)

Israeli citizenship on the basis of proving one’s Jewishness has very very specific and restrictive requirements heavily influenced by the Orthodox Rabbis. I know this because I am Jewish, my family came to England from modern day East Ukraine during the Tsarist Pogroms and eventually married into an Irish family.

Typical poorly disguised neo-nazi views from you, rabid hatred for all things Russian and Jewish.

Why don’t you put your money where your big mouth is and go join Asov so you can live out your fantasies of Russian bodies stacked high?

• Advertisement

Another aspect to this is how Russia will support Belarus when they run out of disposable cash, let alone rebuild Mariupol etc.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

2 more weeks right? we can only hope

By that time the Russians will have taken all of Luhansk and be pushing toward Kramatorsk so the sooner the better

No, I mean new relative to the stock Ukraine has which dates back to the USSR. And even then its only some of their stuff is relatively new, they have plenty of their own from the cold war era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

is there any other indication from anywhere, that this may be true?

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For the craic I decided to dig a little deeper into the "Russia being one of world's largest exporters" of your list. And I looked for data before this nonsense kicked off so the anti/pro spin would be minimal. This graphic from 2017 popped up:

just over 56% of their exports are oil/gas(and coal). If we threw in byproducts of those industries I'm sure we could add a few percent to that. Fertilsers for example. Nitrogen based ones use over 50% gas in their production. WOOD = a couple of percent. STEEL = ditto. ALUMINIM(interesting spelling..) = same. Even CEREAL is around 3%.

Now the petrol pumps make them a tidy sum indeed, but yep they're basically a petrol station with a counter at the till where you can buy a wheat bar and a couple of trinkets. Plus a fair number of those exports are also now under sanction.

Now let's look at their imports for the same year:

Medications aren't on the sanctions list which is fair enough, but a shedload of the rest are under sanctions so they have to look elsewhere like China, or go back to producing their own. Both take time to shore up the difference and will cost more in the short and long term. Modern high tech stuff will take even longer and cost a lot more*. They can't design and build smartphones in Russia and a few truckloads driving in from China won't shore up the difference any time soon. Now smartphones are trivial, but this goes for all their IT stuff that controls damned near everything these days.

They could do it back in the days of the USSR, even if they lagged behind on many metrics, but they're not a self contained command economy built up since the 1920's with a load of vassal states and double the population and a population who expected less and were exposed to less.

While the West, especially the EU, got overly reliant on their gas and oil, Russia got overly reliant on Western tech and markets, but the West is a lot bigger and richer and with more advanced clout.

*the vast majority of modern tech is Western or Western licenced to places like China. Now China could go all in and just nick that stuff, but then they'd be facing sanctions of their own and would lose the two largest markets with the most hard cash on the planet; the US and EU, and a few others who would hop on like the UK, Australia, Canada and Japan. China's economy would face huge losses. Or they can continue as they are, keeping "friendly" with Russia while buying up their oil and gas at big discounts, but not taking things too much further to protect a massive part of their economy. The Chinese are no dummies, so guess what they're most likely to do...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have a strong feeling you're underestimating Russians' abilities to shrug at things. Their middle class isn't particularly big (and shrank with people flying off at the start of this) and they're all that need to be taken care of.

Eh? Apart from the horses mouth? Are you worried this is a deep fake video, why?

Supplying tanks is a ratcheting up... 'boiling frog' continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a post and a half!

Just wondering if you knew is oil and gas originating from Kazakhstan that is exported through Russia to Europe included in Russia's inventory of exports?

Kazakhstan gets a right hammering from Russia in control of those pipelines to Europe. It's also imo why Putin is eyeing Kazakhstan next.

Why do you think Russia invaded Georgia 2008?Certain pipelines goes trough from Russia

Same with Ukraine,also have pipelines going trough from Russia and also have large gas reserves themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

I drew attention to the influx of Russian-born Jews into Israel, in reply to which Yurt2 posted the piece you were responding to. It is clear that Yurt2 was very critical of far right influences (just read his post), as indeed I am.

You accusations of calling for collective punishment based on race are plain nonsense and a complete misrepresentation of others' posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, Putin is counting on two things right now - war-generated austerity weakening European resolve, and American political instability turning America into an unreliable partner in the alliance of Western countries. The famine-induced immigration to Europe would just be more fuel to the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm completely with you.

If Putin had his way he'd push all the way to the Adriatic bypassing turkish closing the Bosphorus. Pride themselves on long term thinking.

All for the "common good". Hitler thought that way too. Hopefully his people or other forces get to grips with him and end him.

Net result of a heavily sanctioned country though is that they just get left behind. Also, the idea that they could very quickly turn things around if sanctions were lifted might not be realistic....it could take them many years to recover from being a sanctioned regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Neither of these things are happening nor likely to happen, especially while they are raining down missiles. Most of what inflation can do to us has been factored in already but Russia is far from the worst of sanctions. They also haven't seen all of the promised Western weaponry deployed against them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Macron put out a tweet about the tanks (I believe it was an English tweet), which was quickly corrected to armoured vehicles. People put it down to a translation error, but I'd say someone questioned the tanks and it was corrected. I don't think western countries have that many Soviet tanks left, so they would need to be western tanks, which for some reason the west is reluctant to send.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I am not intimidated nor moved by your low-ball attempt at trying to tar me as anti-Semitic.

A lot of Russians (and indeed Ukrainians) who immigrate to Israel may have extremely limited Jewish heritage (often a single great grandparent). They are encouraged to do so by Aliyah organisations because of demographic concerns within certain strands of Israeli politics. That they often ghettoise themselves in Russian only communities and has become a matter of concern for Israeli government and commentators is documented fact. That they have moved Israeli politics to the hard right is also not in dispute.

I don't give a sh*te if you think the above is anti-Semitic. It's documented, and it's a fact. And a lot of Israelis would hold the same view.

Not interested in your family history. Although it adds a certain amount of colour to your Putin bootlicking.

I never called for collected punishment. I'm on record on the thread saying Russians who aren't part of the Z column have nothing to do with the war are welcome to have Ireland as their home. Those who were in the Z convoy on the motorway are a public order and security risk and should be sent packing. No question.

I won't lose sleep about Russian invading soldiers heads on pikes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They can shrug all they want and shrink back into an economy of self sufficiency and comely maidens dancing at the crossroads, a la DeValera. Lorded over by an elite who will continue to splash the cash on desirable consumables. That's what generally leads to revolution.

He has miscalculated so many times though and seems very badly advised. You'd have to think he's making a mess of these predictions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia/Putin appear to have learned somewhat from the earlier part of this phase of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, although it's far from a sophisticated kind of learning, more of a 'concentrate artillery into this one area and rain it down indiscriminately' kind. It's working to the extent of keeping Ukrainian forces at bay, although it's grindingly slow progress for Russia - a really ugly attrition warfare. Ukraine needs those long range weapons in number to render Mr. Putin's strategy in the Donbas yet another miscalculation.

• Advertisement

But Putin appears to be making sweeping long term assumptions and predictions - European resolve waning, America ditto, famine putting pressure on the West etc. It's all roll of the dice stuff with very little to back it up or to indicate it may happen. So far, he seems to have gotten every big call wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement