Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No one doubts what McGuiness did in 2012.

It will go down as one of the greatest achievements in GAA history.

But he has not done anything since in GAA since he left Donegal and his ventures into other sports have not worked out for him.

You can't isolate the beating of Dublin in 2014 as something to behold and ignore the hammering by Mayo in 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

A lot of it is about assembling the right management team / coaches / backroom staff to assist the manager.

I maybe wrong but I would see Dempsey wanting his own team and being less open to that kind of thing.

In fairness to Dempsey he has brought in a great team in Knockmore that have definitely helped us. None of these have been foisted on him but I'd imagine he has seen the benefits of having a wider team and not needing to control every little detail yourself

his most recent appointment was a sham and a disaster from start to finish.

Except the bit where they drew with Dublin in their prime.

I'm not advocating for him, just stating that 2015 was not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

"Except the bit where they drew with Dublin in their prime."

I disagree. I'd put the draw down to the players ignoring the brain dead tactics that were being employed when we were 7 down in the drawn game. That was a game that we should have won the first day out, plain and simple. The tactics in the replay were another shambles, playing Vaughan injured and waiting until his man had scored 3 points off him before calling him ashore, for example. That and leaving the midfield desperately short of cover due to poor squad selections. Why did we have only 3 midfielders in the panel?. I'm still none the wiser as to why Jason Gibbons was left out of the squad after the league that year. Then there were his backroom appointments which were literally just political. I could go on but safe to say he should never be allowed to manage a team at any level again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I didn't mean it to sound like Dempsey wouldn't want to build a team around him. The way he brought guys in for Knockmore was very impressive from the outside looking in. I wouldn't doubt his ability to build a great team around him at all.

I meant it in the sense that I think he would want that team to be his team... as opposed to the likes of Rochford, who might be more open to working with possible suggestions like Andy... If you get me.

Wasn't a slight on any of them. They just seem different types of leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think any manager coming in has to be given free reign to pick his own team, you can't have a scenario where the CB are match-making between two possible candidates who may not have any pre-existing relationship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

An interesting one for me would be jason sherlock.

Any chance Donie Buckley would be interested in being the boss rather than an assistant?

I'd say if he has aspirations in that direction, he'll hold out for Dessie to go

• Advertisement

Not worth the risk... Could you imagine the songs if he got us to a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Not to single out your view but what's with naming coaches with little or no managerial experience as the next possible Mayo manager?

Sherlock,Tomas O'Se,Ciaran McDonald,Kieran Donaghy etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pat Holmes might be getting notions that he’s relevant again. That’s a much more worrying thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

The more you look at it and going back to Rochford is a bad idea as it could get cozy again for the same guys. Rochford would seem like an easy choice to make but is it really in the best interests. In the cold light looking at it, It's a done deal with Dempsey for the pure reason of holding no bias and a fresh new face/ideas/team, unless they go for someone outside the county.

We need a guy to come in and retire guys if they don't go as we need a clean slate. We will not win the big prize with 32+ guys as the mileage in these guys is too high. They will deliver up to CP, but adios after that. We have tried the likes of COS, Moran, Carr, Boland etc for far too long and time watching Mayo might focus the head on some of these guys. It just seems to cozy for them to be in the setup and never show proper progression year on year like Conroy and ROD did. It is getting a manager to do this is key. It could be very painful for the first year but the reward could be huge after that.

Coaching at the level sherlocks was, at intercounty probably trumps managing at club or an u21 team to be honest about it. Id have him ahead of any of the mayo based managers that have been suggested to be honest.

As for songs being sung, they mightnt be singing many at full time if mayo won... Personally, I couldnt give a sh*te what some halfcut scrote comes up with to sing. Footballing reasons are what concern me and he is one of the few guys who could probably add something and be in a position to trump every single person in the squad for experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo v Galway All Ireland minor final set for Friday July 8th in Dr Hyde Park at 7:15pm. First time for All Ireland final to be played on a Friday evening? i suppose all Connacht championship group games was played Friday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

Well I'm happy with the venue except I thought it was Croker on the 9th and have already bought two tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It was earmarked that HQ are going out of their way to not stage these underage finals in Croke Park anymore. Something about too much pressure on the shoulders of young lads a bit daft if you ask me.

I suppose there are a few ways you could look at it.

Traditionally it's been the senior final curtain raiser and a great opportunity for young lads to play on the biggest stage.

But on the other hand it's a hard and expensive one for fans to get tickets to.

Playing it in Roscommon is a good idea seeing as who the teams are plus it will help bring a good atmosphere to it.

In the last few decades minor final replays have been held in Longford and Ennis and all have been really big occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Definitely a better venue for supporters. Hard to justify travelling to Dublin and paying 50 euro per ticket for a minor game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Be shocking altogether if Galway go on to win another all Ireland this year, after the 15 year dominance by Mayo.

I'm happy with it in Hyde Park,will be a big novelty factor and a huge Mayo crowd I hope, I'll be there and I hope I can sell the tickets for Croke Park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Andy signed up for another two years. I'd imagine that's Solan out of the running also

I actually thought at the time that Horan coming back was too soon because he was too familiar with the players.

I thought he would favour the guys he knew and trusted over giving new players a chance.

Thankful that was not the case.

But equally I'd prefer to see someone new other than Rochford.

Ive heard this several times of late and I must say I find this kinda depressing. A county in an all ireland semi final seemingly as interested in their rivals as they are in the actual game. Why give a sh*te about mayo at all? How about get up and pack out croke park and give the team a every chance of winning?

Best of luck to them if they do but that stuff is pretty cringe.

I wouldn’t be paying attention to the obscure postings of that individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Says the man who’s is trying to get our Como banned over in another thread..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Avon8

The quote about that that's gone viral online is from a Roscommon fan. The above poster isn't from Galway either. Galway fans are a little preoccupied by two All Ireland semis in the next 9 days

A grown man with the username 'Mayo are Magic" telling people what's cringy really is quite something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

No proper Galway fan is thinking this anyways. In fact, anybody who saw Galway 6 up on 14 men and magically throw away a comfortable win last week is an absolute dope if they think we're a cert for the final. Dodgy keeper, eyes closed kickouts, a well-intentioned legend that isn't up to the high managerial demands of modern football, a talisman in Shane Walsh that can let his ego make poor decisions and potentially a captain missing our biggest match in 21 years. Any couple of those above points should keep a proper supporter humble.

On the topic of Mayo I think between Mullen, O'Donoghue, Conroy you have 3 massive talents to lead you onto the next 10 years. That minor team is the best underage Mayo side I've seen in a long time and should beat a plucky Galway side Friday week. A new manager could bring the best out of lads like Coen and Diarmuid O'Connor too. Honestly any of the top 3 in Connacht could be beaten by each other on a bad day. I did get the sense that talking to Mayo fans on Sunday they felt this was the end of a mighty tilt but I wouldn't rule Mayo out of anything in 2023.

Sensible post. Fair play. It’s good to see the decent Galway poster like yourself on here as opposed to the usual troll efforts from others. Derry will be no slouches, I’d expect they will be practising a lot of high ball into the square over the next few weeks. I’d hope that PJ will be focussing his efforts on countering that during the same period.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your points and many are fair, even a little harsh maybe (I dont think walsh had a big ego) but I also have to say that you are in a minority from what I have encountered. It genuinely seems to me that for a lot of Galway football fans, they have already won their all ireland, by beating mayo in connacht. That isnt a jibe, it seems to genuinely be their motivation.

Will galway fans outnumber derry ones the next day out? Or will they be the worst supported of all the semi finalists?

Best of luck to them by the way, they are a decent side. Shame their fans wouldnt just back them a bit.

A punishment is deserved. If the roles were reversed Id say the same.

And reposted and retweeted endlessly by galway fans...

As for usernames, I take it you are selling Avon then... Or is it just a username? Or who even cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

That magical mayo team were involved in a few tunnel melees in their day.....oh sorry that was being masters of the dark arts.....no punishment required.

It's a reference from The Wire. Perhaps it's a bit obscure. If my 6 year old nephew wrote "Liverpool are Magic" on his copybook I'd be disappointed in him

It's a bit sad that you'd come on another county's thread and start trolling people but that's your own issue and there's probably deeper underlying causes that we're not going to solve here today,it doesn't really bother me.

I do think it's a dick move to again go on another counties thread and start weirdly mocking lads for their handle.......on an Internet forum?! Then sneering and looking down your nose at them when they dont get a reference from a TV show from 2 decades ago that you have watched? I don't know if in your own head you're somehow "winning" arguments with strangers online or scoring points or whatever but that's my observation on it.Odd behaviour.

Anyhow,carry on I suppose.

I'm a big fan of The Wire.

Whether is it s reference to a 2 decade old tv series or you are flogging hand cream door to door, I dont really care either way, and neither does anyone else Id imagine. Mayo are magic is a media phrase used often in the 80s-90s, stick it into google there and it will probably come up in some shape or form - a bit obscure maybe but, etc etc.

You are actually offering nothing as regards the discussion so I dont see the loint in responding to you any further. If you have anything decent to add then great, otherwise I will leave it there. Maybe you should hand over the reigns to that nephew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I wonder will the process the county board will be following for selection of the new manager include discussing with the players who they would like.

Have you actually understood the discussion? I know given your previous posts you have a hard time processing simple stuff. He had a go at another county, on a completely false basis. And you're getting upset when we point a few facts back in return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Heard that a ladies game was pulled at the last minute yesterday morning due to an appeal sent in by a club to over rule the majority decision of clubs at an emergency co.board meeting.

Mayo god help us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone with an Irish independent subscription, would you be able to tell us what pat Spillane reckons is the one reason mayo haven't one an all Ireland in 63 years.

Probably don't need a subscription to guess it's not enough scoring forwards. Used to be that we didn't have a Marquee forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

This is it. Clicked out of it again straight away

surely this is cant be true

Maughan and holmes/connelly mentioned.

Mayo GAA not ruling out a Holmes/Connelly return | Connaught Telegraph (con-telegraph.ie)

not sure if the author is in the known or making stuff up.

You probably used the right word in "author"... Sometimes, it's real fiction.

It looks like a non story to get clicks. The chairman/Mayo GAA aren't going to rule anybody out (in public) when questioned, before the process has even begun.

Judging by his now famous injury updates, Henry wouldn't be exactly considered "in the know".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Look at who wrote that article.

Connaught are embarrassing themselves for years now.

They actually had a follow on article based on the Facebook comments from the other article. Real bottom of the barrell stuff.

I've stopped following them altogether now.

Anyway, big day for the minors. Hopefully they can finish off the job this evening. Slightly fearful that Galway will come good at the right moment after the two previous defeats.

Yes I stopped following them primarily because of that buffoon Aiden Henry and then in the last couple of years their fb page which is so bad it's nearly funny.

Looking forward to heading off to the game later.I too would be worried,Galway have improved as the competition has went on and have momentum,also its hard to beat a team for a third time in a campaign.However Mayo have momentum too and are in the winning habit,they're also a better team,if both teams play to their potential then Mayo should still win.

Big crowd heading,out of our usual travelling group of 15 or so about 10 are going this evening, for context none went to kildare game,there's also a special train running.I think it's going to be a famous night in the Hyde!

Yeah, would be a real sickener to lose to Galway after beating them twice but these lads are so young that anything could happen and you'd expect Galway to have learned from those two defeats. Hopefully they'll give a good account of themselves and claim our first U17 title

• Advertisement
Advertisement