Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

We finally had a full day of no rain in Donegal. Warm and mostly sunny from start to finish.

I love those evenings when the light seems to never want to fade and it's still bright when you're going to bed

Also, got to use my clothes line today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

We didn't have the full day dry in Sligo a few showers and then continuous rain from 5 to 7pm. Then that sunset afterwards.

Day one of July looks poor.

Tuesday on is our make or break Summer. Will it won't it. Wev been stung many times before this year so the chances of heat still uncertain and Met Eireann has heavy showers in Sligo all week so maybe it will just start in the South (may remain there too)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The ground was a bit wet early morning but stayed dry around Tralee and out here by the coast for the rest of the day thankfully, did get quite cloudy in the afternoon for a couple of hours and looked threatening but never rained.

Looks cloudy and wet tomorrow for a time as a band of rain crosses the country, set to brighten up a bit in the evening, probably still a few showers about. Hopefully less rain and brighter as next week progresses, could really do with it settling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's lovely to live in carrick on shannon, definitely Ireland's hidden beauty spots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Next week begins with a coolish start, similar temperatures to the past few days but if there is sunshine it should feel fairly pleasant. The warmth doesn't really arrive till Wednesday and starts to take off from Friday. Everything up to next Sunday looks locked in for now. After that there is a good deal of uncertainty and is unreliable. Over the past 4 days, the GFS has been consistantly throwing up the warmest set of charts for it's operational runs particularly after next weekend. Tonights pub run is another very warm outlier towards the end and keeps us mid to high twenties right out to +384 hours which I think is misleading and based on it, shows 10+ days of very warm weather, probably best to look on this spell as a 4 to 5 day event because quite a few of the runs go for a breakdown around the 11th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

MT giving a good forecast for July

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

P1ssing rain Cork City again constantly now at this stage

Ended at 82mm for June in the end as only 2mm of rain from the heavy mist yesterday. The story of June really.

The heatwave nor getting going till next weekend and breakdown. For Sligo I'd say this coming week is

Monday 17c Showers

Tuesday 17c Showers

Wednesday 18c Showers

Thursday 18c Cloudy some rain

Friday 19c Cloudy

Saturday 21c Fair

Sunday 22c Cloudy

And then it breaks down here. Possibly lasts a bit longer in the South and East so they get 4 or 5 days and maybe a 27 or 28 out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Every chance it could last longer than 4/5 days especially in the east and south as you say. Chances increasing for Bay of Biscay type thunderstorms as we go on into July according to MT. Exciting times.

Sunny in Arklow atm but with cloud structures like this about,convection hapoening,results likely later 🌦🌩

• Advertisement

15c here today and dry so far so slightly better than 12c of June (psssst I'm clutching at straws) but July will be a lot better than June but there may be a few disturbances from the Northwest. Certainly I don't see the Northwest getting a 30c this Summer. Even 25c will be an achievement but the Southeast still has a chance.

I think there's a reasonable chance to be fair up your neck of the woods away from exposed coasts or sea breezes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

June for Dunsany finished up as the second wettest month of the year so far which puts May into 3rd place for rainfall. We didn't quite make 100% rainfall but not far off with 64mm of rain for June where 72mm is average for June. Despite a very chilly start to June and a rather unsettled final week to June, the month was still warmer than average so this trend of being warmer than average remains unbroken over the past 12 months! We finished up at 13.7C which is 0.7C above average for the month of June.

Today marks the start of the second half of 2022 so rainfall totals for the first 6 months of 2022 combined are coming out at only 349mm of rain which is definitely a bit below average. Dunsany usually finishes up with annual rainfall totals somewhere between 800 and 950mm. If the second half of 2022 has the same measure of rainfall as the first half, the year total will barely make 700mm. Will be interesting to see how much rain is recorded between now and New Years Eve.

As we look into July it looks like this could well be a very dry month, at least the first half of the month will be. The second half of July will very much depend on some sort of breakdown to unsettled Atlantic conditions to deliver some rainfall or somehow we get a spell of thundery weather with intense downpours (which we never really get in county Meath). The long term models are going for a slightly cooler first week of July and then weeks 2 and 3 looking warmer than average and a chance week 4 could be the hottest week of July but we have to see about that, that's a long way off. Could be a very interesting month coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dry in Meath but not liking that radar for the rest of the afternoon. 😫

Rain has arrived here at Dunshaughlin after a relatively dry 3 days. Could be more rain tomorrow but amounts don't look too much. From Sunday onwards looks very little in the way of rain as high pressure starts to take control of our weather from Monday/Tuesday.

Edit: Rain stopped after about 2 minutes and it's brightening up again already. May get a few more spots of drizzle today.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

In Terenure the Met.ie app was saying no rain. Guess what, it's raining

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hope this upcoming warm spell won't be too humid. I'm sweating here in 14C and 97% rH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

All I want to do is make a trip to Londis in Father Griffin Road, I refuse to get wet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I reckon high humidity will be a factor, it usually is with warm spells especially if things start turning volatile leading up to a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

God almighty you can't even wash and dry clothes in this country to get away!

Today was supposed to be the dry day accirding to Met Eireann instead I've two loads of washing drying indoors.

It's rained nearly everyday in Dublin this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Awful afternoon and evening in Meath, 5mm so far today brings it to 49mm for the week, hopefully will get another mill to top it up to 50 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I know last night waterford said dry and it's windy and raining. Forecasting has gone to complete and utter sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Lashing rain in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

This summer is, to quote the Chinese guy on Father Ted, 'a big pile of crap!'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavens have opened in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

• Advertisement

Turned fairly crappy after that so July is nil 1 to the crap days. Cold too. But used to that by now.

The "good" weather will likely bring mist and a couple of hours sun midday to the Northwest. Similar to late July 2011. High not on us enough to prevent sliders and cloud to the North. Could be quite a few 17 to 24c days NW to SE.

Advertisement