Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family move to Chicago

Options
  • 01-06-2022 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Howdy,

In discussions at the moment with my work about moving within the organisation to the Chicago office which I believe is smack bank in the middle of downtown Chicago.

The move is a big one as it involves the whole family moving (wife and 2 children aged 8 and 5)

Im heading across in 2 weeks time for a exploration trip. I need to have my ducks in a row.

Anyone out there in boards land that can recommend good areas for the family to move to.

Key considerations are:

1. Highly rated public schools
    2. Relatively easy commute to the city (max 45 mins by train/bus)
    3. Not mad expensive rental costs
    4. Family friendly
    5. Somewhere with a bit of life.
    6. Good outdoor activities

Would love to get some recommendations or on the flip side recommendations of areas to avoid

many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Evanston. A suburb north of Chicago. On the north shore of Lake Michigan. Population 78,000. Not a far commute to Chicago. There is also a nearby subway they call “The L” that does all of Chicago. Plus public buses. You can ride rather than drive.

Hometown to Northwestern University. Has great research and academics. Campus on the water. Big 10 American football team. The wildcats. Be sure to wear purple on home game days.

About 22,000 students. The Evanston K-12 schools benefit from the university town influences and are top notch for your children’s grade school, middle school, and high school education.

Being a university town, there are plenty of entertainment places to go. Good pubs, restaurants, parks, ball fields, theaters, etc.

But I won’t kid you. The winter winds off the Great Lake are called the Hawk. Its cold blows right through you.

My housemate has lived there with grandparents. I’ve visited, too.

Alternatively, I would not live anywhere else in or near Chicago. The south of the city is a war zone. Crime. I would not ride The L at night in Chicago. Gang problems. With knives and guns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Advertisement