Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

Elvis presley found dead in the toilet..so all the no 1s he had ...it was a no 2 that killed him lol .so be careful of no 2s ...killers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kalimah

This reminds me of that episode in Father Ted with the boring priest talking about the raffle tickets.

"You can have 25 , 103, 41 ........"

"What's your favourite humming noise?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Missed da show today , I heard about story with 96 year old Una , could we begin to imagine the awful Kerfuffle if she had been born in a Leap year 😳

I wonder will Joe, show as much interest in the possibility 1000's who either have no Birth Cert, false Birth cert or an illegally altered Birth cert 🤔 , of course he won't.

Have a nice weekend all 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

40 odd years after ye man left the bomb squad , he still thinks it's a state secret and he can't tell anyone,

He said he was on his own probably never married, wouldn't surprise me if he asks to be called number 2. Bit of a Walter Mitty vibe off him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I suspect "No.2" is known by the name Plopper down the pub.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

• Did I miss much today?

Was distracted by this…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I reckon No 2 has more than a few nicknames down the pub and most of them start with.....

O **** here's f#cking...........

I didn't tune in but I think it's safe to say NO, and your lucky to have such a nice distraction including that fluffy moggy who seems quite contented 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ah, yiz’Ed miss the aul funny Friday. Pity it can’t be every week :(

• Advertisement

• This has been the busiest little trip I’ve taken in a long time, not a chance did I get to catch snippets of de podcasts, even do my little holiday diary blog thingy as I am so sleepy by evening time I just crash out.

• One thing I don’t like about these and some other Mediterranean parts is the fact you are required to throw used jax paper in a wastebasket and not down de bog.

So using a jax you have no choice but to encounter de scuttery remains of others’ output so to speak and then contribute to the mound. I wouldn’t like to be room sharing in, eg, a romantic setting so to speak, very off-putting unless you’re of de canine species or identify as one. It’s a disgrace, Joe.

• Doobalin Airport operating well…. if you are not bringing luggage.

• Glad I wasn’t booked with Arr Lingus. I must say Ryanair was fine, luggage was prompt arriving as they seem to have sufficient of their own baggage handlers employed. It’s obvious they did get better post-pandemic (post worst-of-pandemic, I know we’re not out of it) planning than any other airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I was booked on aer lingus flight to Amsterdam last Sunday which was cancelled but we got on a flight the next morning to dusseldorf and took the train from there. No problems with luggage arriving fortunately except when we got back to Dublin Thursday my case was soaked having been out in the rain in schippol airport while waiting for baggage handlers to load the cases on the plane.

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Surely a Topic Joe might cover 🤔🤔🤔 during da week

• Registered Users Posts: 82,686 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He could call in on his recently installed 'cell' phone to complain of the conditions 🤣.

• I had a Greek taxi driver yesterday, as lovely as the guy who drive me from airport to hotel. “Is air conditioning comfortable? Is your seat comfortable? I hope you found Rhodes to your liking and people were kind to you!” Such an nice atmosphere, taxis all lovely vehicles, drivers very patient and kindly. It really is a very nice part of the world.

Welcome home Cawlur 😉

Maybe it's unfair, I've not used a Taxi in years but whatever it is, Doublin Taxi Drivers seem to have a pretty dreadful reputation, I guess some of the clowns that call Joe don't help their case.

Have to say your reports from Rhodes, here and elsewhere would absolutely encourage me to visit. I've long complained about the lack of hospitality in our hospitality sector, youve clearly experienced nothing but a welcome from everyone you met in Rhodes, we used to experience that in Ireland, 20 years ago but my lord how standards have dropped in every respect. Its utterly depressing. I know there remains to few Gems around the country but in the main people feel almost violated when they staycation.

Anyway glad you had a great time, welcome back 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yeah so anyway as joke goes completely over callers head. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes, it's the second topic on today's show, just after "RTE Contractor's spurious tax arrangements", and before "Fianna Fail corruption".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭leath_dub

RTE asking insiders and outsiders: "How great are we?"

sample response:

Dee Forbes, director-general of RTÉ

What are the challenges for RTÉ right now?

[Covid] made one thing very, very clear: that the need for public service broadcasting is there. The public want it. They want more of it, actually, and they want to make sure we’re independent in everything we do … [But] the system that was there to underpin the public side of it has not been looked at for many, many years, yet the demands on us get greater.

Do you think people would pay more?

We’re not asking for an increase in the licence fee … The method that was decided many years ago, by government, to fund public service, it’s not fit for purpose. The licence fee has not been collected to the level it should be. The very notion of a TV licence fee is out of sync with the way people are now consuming media … If you don’t have a TV, you don’t pay a licence. We’re not saying the public must pay more, what we’re saying is: those that should pay should be paying.

What extra demands are on RTÉ that weren’t there in the past?

[Netflix] has a method of delivery that is: you make it once and deliver it to many [via streaming]. We on the other hand, have a broadcast infrastructure that has been around over 60 years … So it’s not as if we can simply turn off the old infrastructure and put all our energy and time into the new, we have to keep both very much alive … We’re keeping the linear infrastructure strong and vibrant, while also ensuring that we are able to deliver to other individuals who want it on demand.

A lot of people complain about the player

I talked a little about the two horses we’re straddling here. And we’ve all got used to the streamers working incredibly well. Have we more work to do here? Yes, we have. And we’re doing everything we can to ensure the experience is as good as possible. We have seen phenomenal growth on the player, 35 per cent growth in 2020 during the pandemic … We have to provide live as well as on demand … We don’t have the resources of Disney or Netflix … I do think we punch pretty hard in the space but recognise we’ve got to do more.

People also have issues with the high salaries some are paid.

Over the last number of years, the top 10 earners are earning almost 40 per cent less than they were in 2008 … It’s less than 1 per cent of our total spend. And these people are bringing in commercial revenue and fulfilling a public service [remit] … What they do and what they bring, not just on the screens, but out and about and being part of the fabric is important … I understand why people feel that way [about the salaries], but the numbers have reduced and it’s something we have to keep an eye on.

If you could change one thing about RTÉ what would it be?

We are changing a lot of things on an ongoing basis … This morning I met with a couple of students who have just graduated from Limerick. They are in the documentary space, fantastic ideas. They’ve done this through college, and now they want to go into the industry. We have to ensure that we have an open-door policy for people like this. We need to … give them a platform, work with them to develop their craft and ensure that we can showcase Irish talent

Q. What are the challenges for RTÉ right now?

A. Trying to keep a straight face!

Q. Do you think people would pay móre?

A. On salaries? Absolutely

Q. What extra demands are on RTÉ that weren’t there in the past?

A. Deflecting attention away from my incompetence, generally.

Q. A lot of people complain about the player.

A. And it's embarrassing, if we just had more licence fee income we could fix the problem! We've no problem with people seeing adverts, we just need to sort being able to actually view content.

Q. People also have issues with the high salaries some are paid.

A. I know its shocking, I can't explain people's outrage, so I won't comment.

Q. If you could change one thing about RTÉ what would it be?

A. Well frankly, I'm leaving, that's a start I guess, but honestly it's a magical place, why change anything!

Thank you Dee 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Dee "keeping an eye on obscene salaries" Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Joe up in the park with the yanks ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• KATIE

mother aged 92 needs a hearing aid, not enough stamps because of marriage bar

women denied paid work until 70s

the Duchess Slant, manspreading

romance scams. Tom fell for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Joe has a lackey to wipe his hole, the Groom of the Stool

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I had a feeling Joe was off on the holliers this week. He was like a giddy kid in 4th class all last week

• Advertisement

Joe off again on a free Junket presumably or researching a new Buke on the American revolution or perhaps seeing if he can see the Aras from da American Ambassadors residence in the Phoenix Perk 🤔, actually its much nicer than the Aras (can I say dat ) 🤔

Advertisement