Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Supports Trans People - Here is why

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Wanting to stop indoctrination of our children does not make me a member of a cult. It's a very real child safeguarding problem.

Ignoring the harm caused and shutting down any and all debate as heresy would be markers of a cult. Take a look in the mirror

Children are vulnerable as are many young adults on the autistic spectrum or suffering from mental health issues ,those are the people most harmed by this ideology because they lack the ability to think critically about what is going on. The problem with affirmative care was raised by one of the authors of the Dutch protocol recently who was worried about the approach taken in the US UK and elsewhere. Its not my perception of a problem its a very real problem and I'm not the one ignoring it.

https://www.ad.nl/nijmegen/dringend-meer-onderzoek-nodig-naar-transgenderzorg-aan-jongeren-waar-komt-de-grote-stroom-kinderen-vandaan~aec79d00/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2F4thwavenow.com%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

I haven't been following this thread but I noticed this post last night and I had read that Nature article before so I thought I'd chime in. While the case mentioned in the first paragraph is quite extraordinary, it doesn't seem to me to be evidence against sex being binary.

While the sex of the woman herself is ambiguous, and genetically indeterminate, for her to represent some previously unidentified sex, there would have to be some credible genetic mechanism for her to pass that trait on to her offspring. But, more than likely the woman's children are normal XX girls or XY boys, given that she is considered to be a form of chimera resulting from fusion of two fertilised eggs rather than her inheriting this trait from her parents.

So, if her condition is not genetically determined (the way sex normally is) then it seems like it's better described as an exception or anomaly to the normal classification of sex. So, it's not the same then as rare blood types. Take AB- blood type. Only 0.5% of the world population has AB- blood, but it's still a real blood type on the same level as O+, which is 80 times more common. And that's because it is inherited through exactly the same mechanism, just more rarely.

The concept of biological sex is always, always, always avoided because it's extremely inconvenient to the arguments made by trans activists.

The primary goal is to draw people into a confusing imbroglio about gender identity, hopeful that people don't go back to the fact that biological identity cannot ever be changed.

You've seen the tactic here yourself, and it's widespread too - it's the stock approach to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Shoog

Surely as a homosexual you realise that sex isn't as straightforward as you claim.

• Advertisement

It couldn't be simpler. Sure even children understand it.

Every single other homosexual I know is either gender critical or keeps their opinion to themselves because they know what the reaction will be.

I think you overstate this "community" aspect of the LGBT "community". It is riven with irreversible division over this question.

I'm bisexual, and sex (not the act) is extremely straightforward. Why would someone's sexuality change that?

Are you mixing up sex with gender?

I think it's this insidious/disgusting idea that is being pushed that homosexuals are Trans.. that if they had been exposed to Trans ideas when teenagers then, they would have chosen to become Trans as opposed to being homosexual.

It's one of the things I've grown to despise about Trans advocates because in pushing such an idea, they're copying the older culture of conversion for homosexuals. While I was very confused/frustrated about both sex and gender, along with my own identity as a teen/YA, I never felt myself to be anything like Trans is today. I have feminine behaviours, but I love being a man... and yet, I suspect if I had to go through my teens again, I'd be repeatedly encouraged to see myself as being Trans rather than a man attracted sexually to both sexes.

I think the LGBQ community is reaching a breaking point about the T in their midst. Considering just how few Trans people we encounter (I'm not including non-binary) while being part of the LGBTQ community... the T have assumed far too much representation of the whole group, and I would say people are getting a mite tired of the association. Not so much with the average Trans person.. but with the Trans activists/advocates/spokespersons we see online or in the media.

Your attempt at ironic humour doesnt impress.

Huh? What ironic humour? I don't see anything even remotely humorous in my posts. Although without quoting posters, it's hard to know who you're referring to.

But I'm not terribly surprised that your response to posters doesn't deal with what they've written.

• Advertisement

That is not what anyone has suggested here. What is been is been said by youself is that there are biological males and biological female and nothing else can exist. What biological function does a homosexual male serve ?

It's not me who is been prescriptive about what a person can be.

Biology is a functional description, how you express your gender is entirely separate. The fact that for most people this overlaps is a not a definition of how it must be.

If we focus on birth sex then homosexuals are redundant, even impossible. This is not what I believe at all.

So, you are conflating sex, gender, and then, sexuality on top of those two. Glad to clear that one up.

As for being prescriptive, I'm relying on science... per the thread topic. There are two sexes, verifiable by science, and there is currently no way to change them to the point where a man can become a woman, the same way as a woman born to that sex. I don't favour your position of releasing all boundaries, and ensuring that definitions of sex have no meaning.

Stop mixing up sex and gender. They're different things. And your attempts to connect sexuality to them is ridiculous and honestly quite insulting. It's obvious that you have no conception of what's involved in being homosexual or bisexual.

I've no idea why you're attempting to bring sexuality into this topic at all. Many Trans retain their original sexuality even after they transition.. some change, many don't. Being Trans is about identity in regards to sex (transition) and gender (both transitioning and non-binary).. sexuality isn't any kind of core part of the Trans topic. My guess is that you're trying to reinforce the link between Trans and LGB as for LGB the primary focus is sexuality, with identity being secondary. Again, piggybacking off the LGB community for validation of Trans issues.

People change their physical gender every day of the week. If you choose not to recognise they have then that is your problem not there's.

There are men who were born as women everywhere and you do not even see them.

Sex, gender and sexuality will not be seperated to suit your tastes.

Good lord. I give up. Utterly impossible to have a conversation with you.

If you want to define terms to suit your conclusions then yes there is no possibility to have a meaningful conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I have no idea what you're on about.

Science...I do not think that word means what you think it does.

Changing physical gender every day of the week? Sounds painful.

The arrogance. You think your posts are meaningful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You make fair points here. I think for my own part I sometimes feel like my thoughts on this are on a ping pong table — where even when I feel batted away by the apparent insistence that some of the more eccentric ideas out there about gender identity need to be accepted at face value without debate, some of the responses from right leaning folk volley me right back over to the liberal side of the table.

I think where conservative people fall into a trap on this topic is that they fail to recognise that compassion and empathy aren’t snowflakey happy clappy concepts, but are actually very solid ways of society coming to a healthier and more constructive place in addressing this issue. If we were more willing to try to understand and empathise with people with non-conventional feelings about their own gender, there might be a lot less of a feeling for a need to be radical. Instead you just get all the intellectual edgelord stuff like “OK so if I identify as a duck now then you have to call me a duck” or YouTube videos titled “[insert conservative YouTube personality] reacts to INSANE woke liberal snowflake TikToks”. A lot of conservatives just want to deride, not empathise, and in doing so create the very environment which encourages some liberals to be more radical about this. That’s not to take away blame from those liberal people who will slap transphobe on anyone who dissents.

I find in these discussions you always get this massive clash between a section of liberals who just want to yell at everyone who doesn’t conform to their thinking, and a section of conservatives who are never willing to empathise with anyone who doesn’t conform to theirs.

The issue I have is summed up very succintly. Some people are claiming that your chromosomes are an infallible definition of your sex. This implicitly denies the lived reality of people who have transitioned their sex to meet their gender identity. It denies their reality and attempts to close the door to that reality for others.

That is an intentional attack on trans people dressed up as science, a science which is far more complex than this simple binary definition Allows.

You make fair points here. I think for my own part I sometimes feel like my thoughts on this are on a ping pong table — where even when I feel batted away by the apparent insistence that some of the more eccentric ideas out there about gender identity need to be accepted at face value without debate, some of the responses from right leaning folk volley me right back over to the liberal side of the table.

TBH I don't really see any liberal sides to the debate. The supposed left/liberal are easily as intolerant as any of those firmly of the right. As for right leaning folk.. I don't get that, simply because I feel that few people are clear in their own minds enough to be firmly fixed in their positions. Instead, most people lean different directions depending on the particular aspect of the discussion. The trans topic is so broad, that I find most people are pro-certain aspects, neutral on others, and against a few.. I've encountered very few people who would be entirely pro/against the overall trans topic, and honestly, I would trust anyone that was.

This topic is not like homosexuality. Sexuality is simple and direct. There's no confusion as to what it entails... none. Whereas the trans topic shifts depending on who is advocating it, it represents multiple different movements (transitions, non-binary, etc) while supposedly representing them all, etc. It's a vague confused mess of ideas and conflicting opinions.

I think where conservative people fall into a trap on this topic is that they fail to recognise that compassion and empathy aren’t snowflakey happy clappy concepts, but are actually very solid ways of society coming to a healthier and more constructive place in addressing this issue. 

Whereas I see conservative people being fully capable of being and appreciating compassion/empathy... Such expressions were part of traditional societies, just as much as any modern society. If anything, there was probably more appreciation for it, because of the emphasis on community, and helping those around them, which is very much part of the conservative perspective.

The problem is rapid social change without due diligence being done to determine the long-term effects of those changes on society. That's the issue for most conservatives, and why they're resistant to change. The trans topic in the west is relatively new. There's extremely little research on it, with what's available relating to small samples, and little effort to track the long-term effects on both the individual and to society. Which is why I would agree with the conservatives on this topic.

It's not about empathy and compassion. It's about responsibility, and not setting up teens/children for an ultimate fall later in life. I've seen nothing from conservatives outside of the US, seeking to prevent adults from doing what they want. The limitation is when the desires of the Trans intersects with the interests of the majority...

If we were more willing to try to understand and empathise with people with non-conventional feelings about their own gender, there might be a lot less of a feeling for a need to be radical.

I would say that society has made remarkable progress in doing just that... as homosexuality has mostly been accepted in society, within a relatively short period of time. No, seriously. How far are people expected to step beyond the traditional boundaries? Because honestly, it sounds like with the Trans debate, the desire is for the boundaries/definitions regarding gender to be removed entirely. In any case, though, we live in a society that is extremely supportive of aspects relating to gender and identity. As a lecturer (and mentor at university level), I've been to dozens of workshops/conferences, relating to how we should support students in such situations... the interest is already around to support/sympathise with those involved.. TBH I would say there's not enough interest in limiting it, and far too much interest in embracing it.

The problem is that there's little expectation within the Trans community or their advocates to reciprocate.. Everything is expected to go one way.. towards supporting and enabling the interests of the Trans community. So.. no.. I don't see much balance in the overall situation, because there is no desire to meet half-way, or to allow society the time needed to adjust to change. Everything needs to be now.

Instead you just get all the intellectual edgelord stuff like “OK so if I identify as a duck now then you have to call me a duck” or YouTube videos titled “[insert conservative YouTube personalityreacts to INSANE woke liberal snowflake TikToks”. A lot of conservatives just want to deride, not empathise, and in doing so create the very environment which encourages some liberals to be more radical about this. That’s not to take away blame from those liberal people who will slap transphobe on anyone who dissents

It's an extremely bitchy topic. Seriously.. and it's come from all sides.

Dunno why you have such a focus on two sides. ie. liberal vs conservatives. It's not that simple.

I find in these discussions you always get this massive clash between a section of liberals who just want to yell at everyone who doesn’t conform to their thinking, and a section of conservatives who are never willing to empathise with anyone who doesn’t conform to theirs.

That's fair. TBH I think the biggest problem is the advocates of the Trans who are not Trans themselves, because they assume a position they know nothing about, but react aggressively to anyone who disagrees with them. This thread is full of examples of both the aggression, and the dismiss/deflect/discredit attitude from such advocates...

If the advocates could step back, shut up, and allow the Trans to segment their movement into three/four distinct and separate movements, I think we'd see far more progress (along with the sympathy you mentioned) for some, although I do think for non-binary, any kind of support will be a long-time coming. It's all still too vague and conflicts with itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ehhh what ?

Do they change the old gender on specific days of the week?

Just wondering like what days we should be doing what, just to get in the spirit of things.

Can you tell us how you spot these men born as women ?

I am not allowed discuss …

The old chromosomes are a pretty good indication of sex, well for something like 99.99% percent of people anyway.

You can change yer gender to what ever you want it still doesn't change your sex would be scientifically backed answer I would guess.

Oh and your sex doesn't dictate your sexuality either.

This issue has been raging for the trans community since at least the sixties, overshadowed by the gay community

Forgive them for not wanting to wait for the hetero communities approval before they get what they need.

So it's the gays and hetros? Some sort of mad conspiracy. Everyone is out to the get them.

Honestly, most people don't give a flying feck.

It's certainly not the trans community resisting change.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

There is a piece there on the genetics behind it which I have posted. This whole discussion you and others have rather than attack the science and refuted it sought to move the goal posts which is not discussing in good faith (and you dont strike me as being a person like that but rather a reasoned soul). Psychology as a social science is half true - its the link between hard core evidence and the social science. I do think that rather than trying to discredit the thread as a campaign that your good self might see fit to post studies that disarm what I posted.

I am glad that the majority don't give a fek about trans issues because just like with covid the blow hards will fail to use it as their revolution trigger.

The problem is we non trans activists should give a flying feck.

I am sick of hearing this "what's the problem, it aint a problem here, that's some foreign problem".

Well the likes of the effort to forbid that Joe Duffy Liveline debate should be a wake up just like the slaughter of a Japanese tourist should have been a wake up or the slaughter of gay men by an interlooper should be wake up calls for other problems heading our way.

We are looking at the thin end of a wedge.

Other countries are further along the track and it aint pretty.

Trans activism is about forcing everyone else to toe a line to accept a fairytale that some believe in.

Before you know it your daughter, your wife, your sister will be the one kicked out of a changing room for daring to object to some person who claims to be a "woman" stripping off in their midst even though they have swinging mickie and all they have to do is claim they feel like a woman.

It might be your daughter that will have to play a match against one of these "new women" that up till a few months back was togging out for the mens team.

And you will be lambasted or nay even possibly charged with a crime of hate speech if you dare say anything.

We already have the shyte about persons with cervices, pregnant persons and you now get admonished if you dare publicly call it out as bullcr**.

Watch the hate speech legislation that will brand everything and anything that doesn't meet the approval of the twatter chattering chimps as hatred.

I would say we all, bar the religious intolerant and a few others, believe trans people have a right to live the way they want as long as it is not hurting anyone else, the right to call themselves whatever they want and be recognised with whatever pronoun they want.

But no the trans activists want the 95% plus to rename ourselves, want us to throw biology and anatomy out the window because "they feel something".

• Advertisement

Genetics cannot prove the existence of a trans- person, in the same way that genetics cannot prove the existence of a gay person.

All genetics, like that, tends to be retrospective i.e. they already have trans- people or gay people and then analyse the brain with this knowledge to hand.

But if it were scientific, you'd be able to make predictions based upon it - and know in advance if someone is going to be trans- or gay. But you can't.

The one thing we are certain of predicting, however, is the person's biological sex.

Once people resort to the intricacies of genetics coupled to "electrical activity in the brain", it generally means a very weak argument is about to be made.

You cannot predict the existence of subjective gender because it is, by definition, a social construction.

Advertisement