Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Correct.

Grain markets are in free fall which signals that the markets reckon that there’ll be no shortages of grains. They’re usually right.

What gets on my wick are the farmers getting on the bandwagon calling for increased production and the easing of regulations. Ridiculous. Funny that it’s just 3 countries across Europe that are making these calls…Ireland, Holland and Belgium, and what have they in common?

The ginger haired gobsheen from Cork was on Twitter saying that further regulations would only increase food prices in Ireland…as if farmers are price makers! You’d think he’d take his 50cpl+ and stfu?

Things will return to normality soon enough. But while this war is ongoing the World Food Program needs some substantial funding, what we do NOT need is a relaxing of regulations for farmers to produce even more food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

What I can’t understand on this is that’s there’s less stock in the country since then, more slurry storage, a lot less out wintering and open dirty yards and generally all round better farming practices

how come it’s gotten worse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

the council were letting human waste into courtmacsherry bay since the dawn of time . was piped straight in from courtmacsherry

and Timoleague villages because they had no scheme. I saw human shite in it . yet farmers were blamed. non farmers have a lot to do with this.

I would accept that some intensely highly stocked platforms firing out urea have leeching problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I’ve a feeling that the amount of substandard and overloaded wastewater treatment plants the length and breadth of the country has a lot to do with it. But you won’t hear an Taisce making any noise about that.

Post edited by cjpm on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

Don't know what cork guy you're talking about. There should be such a thing as fair and sensible regulations instead of picking on one and ignoring the other. Land availability is the big problem in Ireland. Guess it make more sense the way things are going to have less cows and more milk once it could be done efficiently.

I see the Dutch are still protesting but I'd say they're only wasting their time.

As for going back to normal. It could be very painful dropping 20 cent off the milk price here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Being working from home allows ya observe what the neighbours are at (in a non creepy way). On more than one occasion I've seen 2 houses across the road out spraying a few weeds dotted around their footpaths and yard with the green bottles of roundup ya get in Woodies. And each time, what wasn't used was poured down the grid for rainwater on the side of the road. Plus each year the council come along 2 times on a quad and spray all along the footpaths and road edges to kill anything growing.

That was totally off topic! What's the price of milk these days?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There’s been a few calls to change regulations to allow gene editing in here as well. That’d make us even more efficient apparently.

Coz, you know, the problem with food security and food price is farmers not producing even more cheap food.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

Maybe years ago there was a slow release of nutrients whereas now a lot of slurry gets spread over a couple of short windows ( mid jan, end may ). Maybe this year with price of fertilizer there seems to be a change to little and often approach. Just to say plenty of other sources outside agriculture ( septic tanks for one off houses being a lot bigger issue than gets mentioned with all modern chemicals a household uses these days ) but we can only improve what we can. Getting acknowledged for improvements is another matter

I thoroughly agree. FAIR and sensible regulations. Both sides pointing the finger of blame is not a solution. Meanwhile things continue to ‘go the wrong way’…

I’m on record here saying that fighting methane emissions is a hill I’d be prepared to die on, and if the authorities insist on reducing cow numbers, fair and sensible compensation should be offered.

Using whatever excuse de jour to continue polluting is not on.

The Dutch are now using the argument that if abortion is allowed…

When I was talking about producing milk efficiently I meant diet wise.

• Advertisement

I hear ya and agree.

It's just annoying when lads with a horn for gene editing use any excuse to claim it's needed. They're only going on what those selling gene editing are saying (scientists and private consultants) so what are the chances they have studied the science themselves and have a good understanding of the long-term benefits or risks?

My philosophy is the less one interferes with nature the better. IHFA don't accept any cloned animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,516 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The more you do. The more is expected.

We are right up there at the top in Europe for water quality. And it's through local investigation and remedial work that issues are solved.

We're seeing dates changed on slurry storage. We're seeing feckin everything stricter. You take even dung heaps on field. In the UK they can leave it to compost for years. Here it has to be gone before the cut off date every year.

It's publicity for taisce. Even the promo photo for the online link. Was of a Ukrainian dairy cow standing in the water. All for non farming eejits in this country.

More can and is being done. Knowledge is scant getting to farmers imo though.

But it's a sledgehammer approach just because they like to show the power of those weilding that sledgehammer.

Well they can't say that RTE irish media piece above was negative reporting.

Who'd be a farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would say its stretching a bit to say that slurry storage has kept up with cow number expansion since the quotas went - especially when you see it being fired out in the depths of January or prior to heavy rainfall events. In any case its up to the industry itself to rid itself of the cowboys who don't adhere to even basic requirements on nutrient management cos their actions are largely behind the ever tightening of rules in this area, which ultimately affects all farmers.

Ah he’s only using ye olde strawman argument Birdnuts, and well he knows it.

It’s beyond my comprehension why there’s such a stubborn, almost singleminded, pushback against the inevitable when doing the right thing is by far the easiest thing to do.

I do wonder,is it because they’ve borrowed heavily on the assumption that they can mine the environment as long as they like? Pile on the cows and it’ll be grand kinda thing? I dunno.

More like the farm has to make an income and can’t rely on a family business to pay for land or farm for a hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Advertisement

I couldn’t care less what anyone does or whose advice anyone follows. I’m just pointing out that Teagasc/Govt advice on conversion and expansion might be correct in one narrow dimension but their primary goal was increased exports not farmer income or environmental impact.

This is what commissioner McGuiness thinks of derogation.

So everybody thinks that derogation farmers are very highly stocked. Meanwhile there are farmers with double the stocking rate and not in derogation at all. Time to diversify out of farming I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It is funny how we ve had early 20 years of nitrate regs and vast improvement in slurry handling facilities and massive improvement in practice s and less animals than before yet water quality is supposed to be deteriorating.there is absolutely no doubt that 95 % of farmers are now making a fair stab at doing the right thing whereas going back the years it was slurry spreading year round,open yards ,silage made in fields,outwintering and strip grazed crops and every yard used to have a green streak down the hill from it and everybody was doing it.thats the way things were.so if even there is still a few renegades how come water quality is deteriorating if we have moved from a stage that everyone was doing it to a stage where only a few are at it.now in the mean time have increased the population of the country by 30 or 40 %?.you would wonder.edit I was think since how much closing the beet industry must have helped water quality,there used to be massive problems with soil erosion during the beet campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

On the whole nitrates /derogation thing the issue is not with dero farmers vast vast majority of them have ample storage are using likes of less slurry your protected urea’s have buffer zones that aren’t spread ,waterways and rivers fenced etc

the big issue and not singling them out is non dero farms and specifically the ones near and above 170 who export slurry😉😉😉😉on paper just to remain out of dero lots of these don’t have adequate storage either

It's eutrophication of estuaries that's going to cause is to drop to 220kg in 2024. Overloading of nitrates on the milking platform being a big contributor. Nobody willing to grasp that nettle so we all have to suffer.

In some cases that’s a big issue I know of 2 farms locally one with about 170 on 37 acres and another with about 200 on 50 constantly drawing grass and slurry .

Tillage is the cause in this area but no one is willing to call it out. Ploughing right up to the rivers, no cover crops. Hedges cut to the bone the minute the combine leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

That's shocking to be honest and the lads trying to do things right are going to suffer

The area you post of is the worst in the country for nitrates.

Now teagasc are to be fair holding workshops on trying to encourage min till, riparian zones. But it's p1ssing in the wind.

I've a sneaky feeling there's agronomists that have the ear of those that shout loudest in the press and social media, the an taisce boys and gals. And they've them convinced to look at the cows and away from themselves. Meanwhile they're still ploughing away, near zero riparian zones, 1st of December or even before the plough is out to get that winter till.

It drives me nuts. And there's others want to push more farmers that way. There's hills lately should of never been ploughed. And ditches cut out of season at night. Getting away with murder. And it's still the worst in the country.

There's no equity.

• Advertisement

It is but there’s nothing that says what there doing is wrong ….on paper anyway regardless of wether they have the support blocks that can’t be allowed continue even looking over the ditch grass looks sour and never cleaned out due to the huge nos of cows on a small area ……don’t know how it’s stocking up this year as hauling grass and slurry is huge cost

Advertisement