Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Exact same splitting issue. And I don't actually run in mine! Bought them on Black Friday day last yr with a pair of Alpha Fly that were also on sale. The split hasn't affected performance as I'm only using them for day to day non running stuff so never bothered returning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Zalando have a good deal on the Nike invincible 2 in red 125 with another 15% off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Hasn’t happened mine yet. Have about 100km in them so far so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Advice requested: running happily in Nike Infinity 2's with one pair approaching their end and another suffering the tongue tear many have experienced. Did the Clontarf Half in them on Saturday and the tear in the tongue meant I got a noticeable pain on the top of my foot that affected my form and caused a blister. I had planned on the DCM in them but now don't think so... I have a pair of Zoom Fly 4's too for speed work, but think 10 miles is about the limit if their comfort.

So thinking of a pair of marathon shoes. My list is basically:

Infinity 3's (a known entity)

Invincible 2's

Vaporfly's

Advice welcome. For context, male, 90kg, did Clontarf in 1.57 with gas in the tank, aiming for a sub 4hr marathon, so definitely not racing those distances!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

The Invincibles and the Vaporflys are completely different shoes. One is a VW Passat, nothing wrong with it, comfortable and will get you to the finish line no bother at all, the other is a McLaren F1.

Have you run in Vaporflys before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Invincibles are also mushy (though I haven't ran in them yet). I'd be a bit heavier than you and about the same pace ish (4.08 last year in Belfast) and if you got on well with the Infinitys, you probably like a denser foam like React.

I absolutely have not. I am very aware of the differences in intent in the design. I suppose for a bit of clarity, my priority is comfort but what I'm wondering is - would the Vaporfly be softer compared to the Infinity? Any advice welcome.

Yeah, maybe a bit of background here too: The last period of marathon training was in Ultraboosts, which I loved. Subsequently, I've had Lunarlon's, Pegasus 35 & 36, Infinity's, Miler's and Zoom Fly 4's. For long, easy runs, my preference is for softer though I found the Miler's a little heavy on the turnover. In terms of the Zoom Fly 4 (which I believe is a training partner to the vaporfly), I love it for quick or tempo runs and have taken them up to 10 miles - I imagine much longer in them would start to feel hard on the legs. I don't find them unstable once running. For a long slow run, it's a little cloppy and I find the Infinity's more forgiving.

On the basis of the above, the Invincibles appeal as a softer foam again, though I believe the responsiveness of the Zoom X stop them feeling like brakes. I'm caught between sticking with what I know and like (Infinity's), something softer (Invincibles) or something with a softer foam and a plate (Vapors).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Vomero 16 might suit you as well, lovely shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have Some NB 1500v6, Vaporfly Next% and some Adizero Boston (old model) but I dont have any 'easy' run runners anymore, which will be needed for getting back to it.

Have seen the Reebok Floatride Energy 4 mentioned around here, I presume people are finding them good?

I loved the NB 1080's, but they are quite expensive at the moment and cant really justify that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

Bought the Reeboks when someone flagged them here a while back. Have done short and long stuff, (relatively) fast and easy runs in them and finding them great for whatever you throw at them. They've nudged out NB Fuelcell TC that I had been using. Have a pair of alphafly for race days and will be sticking with that lineup for DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Women's Endorphin Speeds for 100 euro in Ready2run Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great price but the reviews for the Speed 3 are too tempting now! The Pro 3 is getting great reviews too... So much to think about for someone whose shown great restraint in not buying a pair of shoes since January 😁

Since January! Ah jeez E you're due two pairs by now. Seems like a great excuse for the Speeds for 100 and a pair of Pro 3...

Ready2Run had a similar deal (cheaper if I recall) for mens Speeds a couple of months ago and I couldn't pass for that price. At this stage I fully expect i'll miss a few generations of these upgrades coz I tend to chase the deals rather than the upgrades.

Yup, it's hard to refuse a good price and when you know the shoe is a good one it's win win. I'm going to Chicago in October so part of me is holding off until then to see if I can better deals, more options in sizes (wide width possibly) or even get to try on some shoes I haven't tried before. Closest running shop to me here is Sligo so it's a long time since I've been in a physical running shop so I'm excited about that prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Nike have 20% off everything for the next week via the App only using the code HIGHFIVE. The Air Zoom Tempo NEXT% are down to €159 s it is, this brings them down to €129.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Bought another pair of the ASICS Magic speed.

Great all rounder shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Have done a couple of runs in the Tempos (8 x 800, and 3 x 2 Miles) and very impressed with them so far....just wondering if anyone has worn them for a 10K race??

Have one coming up in a couple of weeks and the Tempos are top of the queue atm

Just for the purposes of feedback, I went with the Invincibles in the end, on the basis that my speeds didn't justify a supershoe.

They are very interesting! They sound so different, which is strange, but there's a definite ZoomX sound underfoot. They are squishy but don't seem to bottom out and I definitely notice my legs fresher towards the end of a long run. They aren't quick and peppy, but my averages for long runs are higher because I'm feeling less fatigue. Great stuff. Cornering is a little odd; they do squish and while the rubber's very sticky, the movement on the ZoomX is noticeable. That said, I'm very happy with them. Highly recommended for people who like a good long, slow run.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Just to continue extolling the virtues of the Takumi Sen 8, I wore them for a ten mile road race on Saturday. I'd been planning on wearing Endorphin Pros but with it being really wet I figured it'd be good to have the Continental rubber underfoot as I don't trust the Saucony in greasy conditions. Anyway, predictably excellent grip aside they were really comfortable over that distance and I'd now have no hesitation wearing them from 5k through half-marathon. My pace for the 10 was almost exactly proportionate to the half-marathon pace that i ran in the Endorphins back in the spring so I'd say there's not much between them in terms of speed over the longer distances. The Sen is certainly a narrower, nimbler shoe but it can clearly hold its own against the carbon plated cruisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good to know - thanks for that, I've been hesitant to use them over some of the more recent, longer sessions I've been doing (not sure why TBH...more based on what I've read than what I've experienced).

And I agree with them being slightly more narrow but is it just me or is the toe box good and roomy? I prefer a wider toe box and usually get uncomfortable with anything else, I have to say, the Takumi have been fine so far in that department

• Advertisement

Picked up a pair of metaspeed Sky recently - I've only used them a couple of times so far;

Wider toebox than other supershoes ( positive for me)

Incredibly light

Nice fit

I've worn them on a tempo style session and a steady paced run - both times I really enjoyed wearing them but they definitely come into their own as the pace increases. Not that they were uncomfortable at the slightly slower paces but they take the edge of the faster paces and respond really well as the pressure on landing increases

Recovery after the session was noticeably quicker too (in the legs)

Gonna use them in training or can you see yourself racing in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Got my own pair delivered today. Would also be wondering about races, gonna take them out in the morning for a speed session to see

I'm still leaning towards the Takumi for racing and I can't actually tell you why, probably just the lower stack height maybe - they're not even a "super shoe"

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CJay1

Has anyone been in the new run hub shop in Leopardstown shopping centre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

RANT

Just a word of warning to my fellow runners.

I ordered some Brooks Glycerin GTS from startfitness.co.uk on Tuesday.

This morning (Friday) I received a lovely note from An Post demanding EU32.85 in customs fees.

Very disappointing and frustrating.

I've emailed startfitness customer support to complain. I'm guessing they didn't fill in the paperwork correctly on their end.

I'll stick with Amazon.co.uk the next time.

/RANT

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Easy Day shoes: My pure recovery shoes have been Nike Invincibles - I bought a pair of Triumph 19's - but just cannot warm to them - a mixture of the foam and slightly heavy.

I do like the Reebok 4's for easy day stuff + also more moderate runs - but I also bought a pair of Puma Velocity 2's this week - 1 wear in them so far - quite comfortable but a tad warm (we'll see as the runs go on and the temps decrease)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Better to use 365Rider.com shoes come from Spain in around 5 days, no customs charges to deal with. I have bought 4 or 5 pairs of shoes from them and never had a problem.

Good to know, ordered from them last night. They have a sale at the moment too with some good deals 😉

• Advertisement

Are the Invincibles very squishy? I've come to realise I don't like squishy shoes.

Advertisement