Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elton john 3 arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice free show for some last night in Hyde Park

Roll on Friday, first time seeing him live and hopefully him and his crew will be safe for the next few days. Playing Swansea tomorrow I think

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yep - I'm on the Rosslare ferry later on and heading to Silverstone after Elton tomorrow night

He won't have any support and based on other recent shows he'll be on shortly after 7

For Cork

Doors 6pm

Gig starts 8pm sharp

Got a premium level ticket but not expecting much from it tbh. More than likely only indoor bar/food and toilet facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement

Didn't he shout at a security guard a few years ago too

Even with him been sober for almost 30 years he still has his anger issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

He seemed happier when he was with Renata

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's not what it was, but that video is definitely down to a bad in ear mix.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was excellent last night in Swansea. Best I've seen him since 2 nights in Leeds in 1984.

He has adapted his voice for the songs, and only does songs his voice can handle.

Certainly better than at the 3Arena in 2019. Davey Johnstone wasn't there that night though. Maybe Elton's more confident with him around. I also think he's lost a bit of weight since then.

I could throw up the setlist if anyone's interest - equally don't want to spoil it for anyone heading off to see him tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

He's definitely made this setlist as predictable as it could possibly be. He definitely won't be challenging the expectations of the audience. He will play only the hits. It's like his equivalent of 'Jurassic World Dominion'... that's why Rod Stewart called it a money grab. He definitely will not be revisiting any hidden treasures such as:

Come Down in Time, Where to Now St Peter, Sartorial Eloquence

I suspect he's dropped the piano improv section he used to do before 'Rocket Man' / 'Take me to the Pilot'. And I think one song will be the new remixed rocket man / sacrifice thing!

Also no Nikita, Sacrifice, or Blue Eyes will be played

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

If you are charging people 200 euro then you play the hits, its that simple. Give the people what they want.

I went to see Van Morrison the other night in Cork, 96 euro for ~95 minutes and he played hardly any of his hits or best songs. Infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think giving fans what the want should be the number one. Which is why at gigs most fans of any artists always appreciate a few deeper cuts amongst the greatest hits… fans are the ones with all the albums, pandering to the gombeens who own two albums and a best of and whom this is one night out of two nights out a year is a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Well then maybe he shouldn't be charging that €200. Never be too cocky about your own opinion btw. Some people look for novelty in a concert. If the audience is full of die-hard fans then they will be going to the concert with an open mind. Assuming the audience is full of people who've been dragged along then yes, they will prefer the hits played. If Elton didn't care about the money, what would he prefer himself I wonder?... I mean lets not forget that he quit music in the 80s because he was sick of singing things like 'Crocodile Rock'. Funnily enough he seems okay with it now.

But a good artist will challenge the expectations of their audience from time to time, as opposed to doing what they're told. Art is selfish. I certainly do hope you didn't go along to Van Morrison show thinking that he was the sort of guy who'd just play what the crowd wanted! That's not his reputation.

For the ticket price I'd expect a setlist full of hits and top notch production

Originally had planned to head to the one of the December 2020 3Arena shows but covid pushed those shows to December 2021. Then sir Elton took a tumble at home and pushed that leg of the tour to 2023. Refund and ticket to Cork it was and never know maybe I'll see him in the 3Arena next year

Got a premium level ticket for tomorrow, not expecting much other than the usual indoor bar/toilets and a soft chair

If covid didn't hit the tour would probably be over by now but the yellow brick road is a long road and Elton could still be on it this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

would anyone know where would be a good place to park? From going to gaa matches I always remember a fairly long walk to the ground

He definitely surpassed my own expectations and I have no complaints

Originally I had a ticket 5 rows back on the pitch at the corner of the stage. I then picked up one 4 rows back just to the right on a Ticketmaster resale - cost me £150. It was only when I saw them handing out VIP gear on entry I looked at my ticket and saw the face value was £399 and I was getting a lithograph and a few other bits of tat. But it was a great view made all the better a couple of songs before the encore when they partitioned the access paths between rows 4 & 5 and invited all of those in rows 1 to 4 to congregate in front of the stage! As I said - no complaints from me.

Elton was also in an excellent mood. There was one occasion I saw him at Manchester Arena perhaps 20 years or so agon when he stropped off stage aften not much more than an hour as the press had been going on about his private life

Day finally here, let's hope its a great show

Massive bargain on Toutless now for anyone on the fence about going. Someone selling standing tickets for €40 each and seated tickets €150 for 2

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Really looking forward to this. Caught him in the point around 10 years ago and he was fantastic.

• Advertisement

Past the witching hour in Cork - this was taken directly from Elton's piano on Wednesday

T'was only a little camera but it packs a big punch

Bed-time:

Absolutely sensational gig tonight. What a showman and what a set of lungs on him for an auld lad. Shambolic amount of bars at the venue though.

What a gig tonight by Sir Elton

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

That was fuckin fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely outstanding show - his voice was unreal, was worried about that but it was just a brilliant show, I’m still buzzing after it! Had never seen before tonight and I’m so glad I did now!

Those merch prices were crazy but I gave in and bought one of those glasses (and a t shirt)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Unbelievable show, the best I've ever been to. I'd go as far as to say I feel privileged to have been there tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was unreal. That's my 6th time and may be the best. He looked so damn happy.

The organisation was a joke though. They forgot to set up merchandising that was accessible for those at the floor seating🤦🏻‍♀️

Telling people they couldn't use the stadium loos and just the portaloos? One alcohol bar?

Agreed on the merchandise but now have a new t-shirt and a program..

My day started by getting up for work at 8am on Thursday. Finishing work at 7pm. Heading to the airport from Abu Dhabi to Dublin to then go to Cork and we drove back to Galway. I got in 10 mins ago. Almost 48 hours solid on the go (taking in the time difference) to see him. Would do it all Again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

That was my eleventh Elton show - the third one outdoors - and I thought it was superb. It's sometimes possible to feel a bit detached from concerts on that scale, but it was very engaging throughout, and even the deep cuts, such as Levon and Burn Down the Mission got a great response.

Also, while tickets were expensive, there's no disputing the scale of the show, in terms of the screens and production design. Every cent is writ large on the stage.

Merchandise has got very expensive in general. T-shirts at most gigs seem to be €40 now, with anything more elaborate (long-sleeved, etc.) considerably more, whereas it's not that long ago where €35 for a t-shirt seemed extortionate.

I was in pitch seating (I got right up the front for the last ten songs) and myself and several others had to negotiate to get out to the rear pitch to the merchandise booth. I later discovered a smaller one in the stand, but it was so anonymous - and not part of a main thoroughfare - that I doubt many people realised it was there.

I arrived early and those with pitch seating tickets were directed to that end of the stadium. The set up of the entry gates at that point seemed to corral everyone with pitch seats down there, with no option to double back and explore vendors elsewhere; that may have changed later.

Even so, there seemed to be only one food option there - O'Flynn's gourmet sausages - and (as Twitter outrage will testify) one bar. Now, I'd have thought you could get to the other end, where other options were available, but I got the impression that the people in that section were effectively stuck there, hence the bar debacle. Perhaps others can clarify.

But none of this detracts from what was a really great performance from Elton and the band. I don't care that the setlist has changed little in recent years - and only very slightly during the current tour; Indian Sunset replaced by Have Mercy on the Criminal, Cold Heart wisely added. It's always a great show, and last night really was excellent.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement