Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Rhizomes. Cancels out a lot of weed though. Only grows at ground level.

It grew out from a clump beside the front pillar, dug all that out last weekend. It seemed to grow out in straight lines from the clump beside the lawn. But it's all over the lawn also. Not in great quantities but......when I start looking at the lawn....😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Just some idea's

Goldthread - https://flnps.org/photos/gallery/1490

Golden Zizia or golden alexanders - https://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=5551125

Leaf formation looks like Golden Zizia but it grows at ground level and doesn't seem to flower. Maybe I'm not letting it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Any idea what this might be. I've notice the plum tree is looking chewed and found this in a curled leaf. Looks like some type of sawfly.

Have to say I am intrigued by this. Was the clump something that had been planted, do you know? It doesn't clearly resemble anything native know, a bit parsley/Ground Elder like alright.

• Advertisement

Actually.......could've been planted. I dug out about a metre wide flower bed and planted grass up to a front wall. There was "stuff" growing g alright but I've no idea about the individual plants that were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It bears some resemblance to celery, but no rhizomes on celery. The other thing is Goldthread Coptis trifolia , but while the RHS lists it there is no other reference to it growing in Ireland/UK. It does have rhizomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

I think i'd go along with ground elder too, are the rhizomes like this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My first thought but ground elder smells (stinks!) OP says it doesn't.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭flended12

Out walking dog on usual route (off beaten track, wild area) and seen a collection of these that I've never seen on the route over last 3 years. About 6 inches high, lovely little plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bog orchid. Our lawn gets a lot of them. They like it damp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could they be actual tree saplings, and the rhizomes be actual roots? The leaves seem to be too round for ground elder or goldthread. I doubt it's celery, either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Is this Vietnamese coriander?

Google image search says it is but I never planted it.. :)

This is a Pyramidal Orchid, Anacamptis pyramidalis

No unless thats another name for Red Shank - Persicaria Maculosa - a weed in my book but it is grown sometimes as an ornamental plant.

Apologies bit late on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I would go with tree saplings too. I’ve loads in a new area I’m cultivating. Been pulling them out but the lawnmower should take care of them there.

It grown below the grass level, just about.....but then again I'm cutting the grass at level 5 on the lawnmower.

Aha......my super observant wife 😀 said that it's growing from this below, which it is,

....a section which I forked out of the grass yesterday,

Second picture shouts Ground Elder to me but I've been lucky enough to avoid it for the last 20 odd years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Looks like ground elder to me as well.

Think you're both right. Any cure then?

So if I go the "Roundup Ultra" (which seems to be unavailable)route and paint it on the leaves........seems the best option then?

Other chemical alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Can't advise about using chemical poisons in the garden as they work against my own principles of keeping my garden as somewhere I like spending lots of time in but this information page offers some advice. It mentions that in new lawns ground elder can usually be starved by repeated mowing so maybe if you lower the setting on the mower on the areas of the lawn where it is a problem and make sure to mow that area regularly the grass should win out eventually. Grass grows from the base of the plant so has an advantage over most other plants when mowing is involved. You might still need to dig out the rhizomes coming from under the shrubs manually as they probably will still try to spread. I have some growing amoung some shrubs in one part of the garden and just clip it down at times to keep it somewhere under control. Its a bit of a wild part of the garden anyway so its not worth the effort for me to dig it out and just clipping it back seems to keep it where I don't see it very much. I also planted some very vigorous plants near it that seems to compete with it fairly well.

Happy gardening.

After years of fighting ground elder I'd use Roundup on it every time. It's on my list of weeds to be nuked by any means along with Japanese Knotweed but just far enough down the list that I wouldn't move house because of it.

I found a gel made of Roundup with wallpaper paste works really well. Dealz sometimes have a round liter Tupperware type container and wallpaper paste. So €3 gets you started. I mix up 500ml of water with 100ml of Roundup (or Gallup etc) and then very slowly mix in the wallpaper paste and keep going until I have a gel. Apply that with whatever you can I use a soft 2 inch paint brush but a piece of stick sometimes is helpful to dob a bit of gel on a leaf. The mix will last infinitely in my experience so thats why I keep it in a decent sealed Tupperware type container that is marked indelibly with details of the contents.

If you are using Roundup try not to dig the ground elder because each fragment you leave behind is a potential new plant. On a lawn regular cutting will starve it out.

Thanks for the reply. Regular cutting.......so I'd have to put the cuttings into the "Brown bin" so as not to keep it in my compost heap.

I don't collect my lawn cuttings at highest level setting so I might try and "starve it" this summer to see how it goes. Cut low and "brown Bin" the cuttings.

Otherwise it's out with a paintbrush and dab the leaves etc.

There's no reason you can't compost grass cuttings that have ground elder leaves in with them. Its tiny bits of root that will start a new plant.

And I'll make the obvious comment about my Roundup gel mix. It may kill any plant it comes in contact with. Just be sure that if it rains the gel won't wash off onto nearby cultivated plants or if its windy the treated leaves won't rub against cultivated plants.

Well that's solved at least. Interesting how diminutive Ground Elder can be. It does seem to prefer a bit of shade, even just from rank grass. I think you could live with it if you mow quite short and regularly.

I'm gone completely off lawns now, unless its for kids to play on, just can't abide the struggle for sterility. Not all, but the majority.

• Advertisement

Yeah fine.....sterility....I appreciate your comment.

It was a "Lockdown" project I set myself......to get the front lawn in shape.

Sorry if I offended or caused some people grief about treating it with "Poison"

Most of my neighbours have converted their front lawns to gravel etc to accomodate the two cars, I seem to be in the minority in my area.

However......

Advertisement