Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Standing charges should be zero. Period. Polluter should pay, the standard charges should be abolished and the unit rates should go up to cover these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

100% - pay for what you use not for the bonuses of the morons at the elec companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Counter argument, standing charges should be the grid charges only and set by the regulator, and therefore the same for every energy company

I agree that some companies are using a high standing charge to make their unit rates appear artificially low and this should be gotten rid of

But it does cost money to maintain the grid, and personally I'd prefer it was well maintained and not to the standard of Texas or California

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I've been saying the same thing about motor tax for many years (since well before there were any electric cars around). It should be abolished and the tax should be on the fuel.

Ha, true but governments never miss an opportunity to put a tax on something

• Advertisement

Yes but the most important law of taxation is that collection must be easy. Far easier to collect tax on fuel than motor tax. Far easier to up the income tax than to collect individual TV license fees (a joke in this country). Far easier to tax excise duty of alcohol at wholesale level than to ask individuals to put aside €1 for every pint they drink and expect them to pay it in their yearly tax return 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

Can't make it too easy in case you put a few civil servants out of a job.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

put aside €1 for every pint they drink and expect them to pay it in their yearly tax return 😂

I can see that conversation at 2a.m. how many did I have? Was it you that bought the third round or me? Never mind on January with the tax return: you spent what on pints?

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, those standing charges and how they relate to the PV feed-in-tariff begs belief. The levels of obfuscation that goes on with the suppliers pricing plans. Geez. While I've been lazy and not switched providers, I doff my cap to bonkers.ie for doing the leg work.

I can however get in behind a reasonable standing charge for a service. Myabe what.... €100 or so for the year, and it should be the same across all providers. My thinking is that well if I use no electricity, well they still have to have accountants, and service techs, indirectly pay for step-down transformers (even if I don't use it), but yeah.... €500 knicker for something which I may not even user a single 1Kwhr. Cowboys Ted ! :-)

Jonathan - good find on that RMDS discussion. Very interesting.

• Advertisement

From RTE news. No FIT from EI, but a piece rise !!

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0701/1307953-electric-ireland/

Electric Ireland has announced it will increase residential gas bills by 29.2% and residential electricity bills by 10.9% from next month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Well 🤬 the rest of them will follow suit I bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They still haven't responded to me with a rate for FIT. I get more annoyed every time I hear a green politician say the feed in tariff is here, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

Anyone know who George Lee is on about on the news this evening saying 3 companies have announced the rate of between 13.5c and 17.5c? I know two who have announced the 13.5c and 14c but the 17.5c is new to me and can' find anything more about who it is.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Electric Ireland replied to me today to say they don't have any feed in tariff or don't know when they will. FFS.

To be fair they're probably telling the truth, I get the impression that forward thinking is strongly discouraged at many energy companies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭con747

Possibly, but you would imagine RTE would be announcing up to date news on the FIT. I was hoping one of the bigger suppliers eventually showed their cards. It's a joke at this stage all the green trumpet blowing about it being paid from the 1st of July and here we are still in the dark and not knowing the red tape each company will put in place. 🙄

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

At least they replied. I just get an automated email saying they are very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If government was really interested in solar generation, they would be giving generous tax breaks on the cost of the install.

Grants never seem to work in Ireland as prices just inflate to match the grant.

For them to talk of taxing exported power from the ordinary homeowner is absolute lunacy.

I could see exported power being taxable if your power bills were negative over the year but trying to tax a part of a domestic contract where the other side of the same contract is not tax deductable is nuts imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Lads I have the old style meter which spins backwards when excess produced. I'm currently with SSE on adomestic rural 24h contract and with all the talk of smart meters before any FIT payments I'm guessing I should try to hold off any change to smart as long as possible. ESBN have not yet contacted me for the switch either. If I'm forced to change to a smart meter it'll mean a considerable reduction in what I get back from excess?

Yes. Your effective FIT is the day rate or peak rate. So ~1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Irish governments don't like tax breaks for working families though.

Far left loons refer to tax breaks as subsidising the wealthy at the expense of the most vulnerable (lazy).

But a tax deduction would greatly incentivise solar installs, without artificially increasing price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

They will see a raft of people with PV leaving them asap so, as well as over the latest increases.

I'm up with them end of August, so will definitely be leaving. Have almost 300kwh exported this year, so guessing 500+ for the year, at 16c, approx €80, that'll cover one months bill.

Assuming the d/n and SC rates aren't a rip off.

For the next month I reckon the rates are going to be very volatile. However Electric Irelands reluctance to publish FIT is not promising. I am considering an early exit from my contract. That will cost me €50 for sure, not sure what happens to the 'bonus €150' -- is there a claw-back?, or the remining €200 credit -- some hassle.

I assume here that EI will do nothing for FIT. I.e.: 0c -- that is the info I have right now, so Feb-Jul is gone for this year. The standing charges just went insane, up to €396.89! When I look at where I am now vs the cheapest (no price increase yet, volatile month ahead) for the next 8 months I will be €150 better off going with SSE Airtircity. -- Last years data, this years prices:

The CRU has really made a mess of introducing FIT. The rope that was given to the suppliers was used well.

Decision time will be the end of July methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

You can't keep the credit for sure... I already left once and came back. I'm not sure what happens if you leave before contract and not fully consumed the credit.

If sept comes round and no news from ei I will happily break contract with them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

I left electric Ireland after two months last year after receiving a 210e switching bonus and a Google nest screen. They simply charged me the 50E contract break fee and followed it up with a cheque in post of remaining credit of about 60e.

Now this could have just been pot luck as assume they would catch onto this if continually happened

I like your style, irishchris 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A tax break is a grant by another name, it would drive up prices too " x price + whatever tax back" would be in the advertising. So we'd end up in the same position anyway.

Generally it's the more well off that can afford solar panels anyway.

And if a lower income household that doesn't pay much tax (income only, not prsi/USC) saved up enough/got a low interest loan/solar as a service to get in panels they might not pay enough tax to get the full benefit of the tax relief.

Grants are fairer in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

for me it was balanced out by the handover to the new provider. i switched back a month later again - i recieved the switch bonus a second time no problem.. but i didnt end up with 400 (NOT both combined, only 200) - it was reconciled in closing bill.

Advertisement