Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will council trim large tree

Options
  • 02-07-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

quick question….I have a large birch tree on my front lawn that is completely shadowing front of house and is covering public street lighting , hangs out onto public footpath.

as it’s an old estate and maintained by council now, would the local council trim it for me ? Or is it in my own hands now! It’s to big for me to go at and need to be careful as it’s growing beside a busy street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If it's on your property, it's up to you to maintain it. Sounds like you'll need to call a local tree surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Your tree on your lawn and you want the council to trim it?

Maybe ask them to maintain your back garden at the same time.

Or call a tree surgeon and have it done and pay yourself like everyone else would do

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭newfy

Hey just asking ! no harm trying to save a penny in these inflated times ol stick if the service is there! Half the tree is over a public road and it was like that when I purchased the house not to long ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the council could (from a legal viewpoint) trim the tree back to the boundary of the garden, but almost certainly wouldn't, and you wouldn't want them doing that anyway. and if you rang them to ask them to do that, they'd probably say 'we're not doing your tree surgery for you'.

should mention, i once contacted eir to let them know a tree in my front garden was leaning against a phone line, and that was their first response; 'we're not doing your tree surgery for you'. i had contacted them to let them know that if they did have a crew in the area working on trees, they had my explicit permission to hack away at it, to not wait for me to give permission.

Opposite question, there is a large mature tree outside my house (on the grass verge) that occasionally sheds branches in high winds.

The estate is also council managed - do I have to call them to trim it back, or can I call in a tree surgeon myself? I don't want the council to butcher it, as I really love the tree. Just a bit nervous about the branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Same answer as the first question - if its on your site its your problem, if its on the council's land its theirs'. I doubt a tree company would cut a tree on public land tbh, you need to contact the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If it is touching electrical lines then ESB Networks will organise it to be trimmed so it is not a risk.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not sure I would trust them to anyway. The local council out my way have made all of the older trees out my way very top heavy. Not sure if it was third party contractors, but to avoid the electrical wires, they trimmed that side, and all branches below so that they don't grow up into the wires. They completely cut down two trees last month that had nests in them.

Out of the remaining trees, I think it is just a matter of time before at least two either snap or become uprooted from heavy winds, as they are so top heavy.

Post edited by Suckit on

No electrical wires, but I am concerned the Council may cut it down and its a beautiful tree.

I worked in the Forest Service in another life. Might make a few calls!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the neighbour of a chap i know rang fingal coco to ask them to remove a branch of a tree overhanging his garden, as he wanted to build a shed and the branch was in the way. the tree surgeons contracted to do the job took the tree down; i guess they get to charge more that way. there was nothing unhealthy about the tree (an elm, so not guaranteed to remain healthy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If it overhangs your property, or the falling branches pose a risk to you or your property, you can have it made safe. Ideally though it should be cut back evenly all around, I don't know how bothered the council would be if you arranged this yourself.

If the ESB need to cut a tree near wires I believe they don't need permission to enter your property and they don't remove what they've cut down. Your property, your problem. Whereas a tree surgery will take everything away. This last bit isn't a response to your post BTW.

Advertisement