Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Are you definitely using the right Shackle? There's Margits Shackle and Mohgs Shackle.

It can also only be used in the first phase of the fight, and I think you have to be reasonably close to him. It has a smaller AOE than Margits Shackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yeah it's deffo Mohgs Shackle . When I try it outside doesn't work when I try it inside it pauses him for literally a second

Pretty sure it won't work from outside. Inside, yeah it doesn't hold him down for long. It's something you can use twice in the first phase to get a few quick hits (or one big hit) before he pops back up again.

You're in the late game. Fewer and less effective cheap tactics to use on bosses. Use the shackle to give yourself time to wind up for a big attack or hit a big combo, but other than that it's not something I'd be relying on too much for the fight.

There's loads of videos etc showing that you can use it outside before entering the mist then when you enter he will be frozen and u can attack him once don't break his stance. So what happened to this?

https://youtu.be/lNB0JVavGVw

Ah right, sorry, wasn't aware of that cheese. I thought you meant the shackle wasn't working as it was actually intended to. In that case, while not specifically noted in the recent patch notes, one of the bug fixes is "Fixed a bug that allowed enemies to be attacked from outside the fog in certain areas." So perhaps stopping the shackle from working on Mohg outside the fog gate is one of those fixes.

• Advertisement

I saw that mentioned in the patch notes meself actually totally forgot about it. I'll have to read around on youtube to see is it the same for everyone. It's a bitch of a boss fight that would have been handy haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Just cleared Radahn. Took a few goes but nothing too bad. I believe he was nerfed in an earlier patch?

Really enjoying everything, but I haven't found it as challenging and other Souls games yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

He was nerfed in one patch and then un-nerfed in the next. I don't know if he is as hard as he was in the original version of the game but that was a bastard of a boss fight to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

So I decided to give a second playthrough a go because I wanted the Ranni ending, first playthrough was with what would be considered a quality build, pretty much all mele, this one I went with a mage build and I have to say the mage playthrough was a lot smoother, you just have so many options for dealing with all the different scenarios the game presents, having powerful ranged options makes clearing out castles, dungeons and caves so much easier, you can also avoid most of the bullshit traps they set for you, which litter the latter half of the game.

I also had little trouble with any of the major bosses, I didn't have to cheese anything, beat fire giant, draconic tree sentinel (the one outside the capital)Niall, and Malekith all on the first go, beat godfrey in only a couple of try's and beat radagon and elden beast in half the time it took me the first time around.

I suppose the downside of playing as a mage is it gets kind of boring, once you beat rennalla, which is fairly early on, you get her staff which is the best staff in the game, that took me through the whole game, and for when it did get up close and personal moonveil was my go to, the special on that weapon was ridiculous and very very fast, they were the only two weapons I used so It does lack variety, I also only used a couple of sorceries, glinstone pebble and rock sling took care of 99% of situations.

Got it done in around 40 hours, first playthrough was well over a 100 hours but I did more exploring.

I'd recommend mage if someone is struggling and wants a smoother, easier experience, you have options for everything and magic is very powerful in Elden Ring, you can pretty much trivialize most of the game as a mage I found.

Finally took the plunge and picked up this for €50. I figure it's as cheap as it's going to be for a long while. I've kissed my wife and kids goodbye, I'll see them at Christmas 😄

Initial impressions is it's a tad bit grindy. I went with the Astrologer and although I like being able to keep a distance from foes I am finding the spells quite weak and I need to take out a group of foes, rest, repeat in order to get enough runes to level up and make the game playable.

Also, took me 2 days to realise you can run, my god what a difference it makes 😅

• Advertisement

Once you make a bit of progress and get some decent upgrades, spell cast will be fairly overpowered. Especially if you combine it with some of the more powerful spirt summons. I am playing through as melee as i prefer that, but I might respec for my NG+ playthrough.

Yes I'm looking forward to levelling up and finding some new spells, which I've yet to figure.out how to do. Trying to avoid spoiler videos....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If you don't like grindyness then you would do well to refrain from collecting plants. Biggest mistake I could have made was thinking that they would become useful at some point...

Is there a knack to dodge and running? I have trouble getting the character to run when I need him to which in an unforgiving game like this usually ends in my death.

It seems really sticky. I don't mean the button, I press B (xbox) and bloke just keeps walking. Smash I'm dead. I feel I'm missing something here or not doing it right. Hold B and move, he should run right?

Edit: seems I need a lighter load and level up endurance.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yeah there can be a slight delay between pressing the button and starting to run, but as per your edit, keep your equip load in Medium Load which will help. Levelling endurance will increase the load you can carry, and also extend your stamina bar to run longer or dodge/attack more.

Make sure you are not accidently putting yourself into crouch by clicking L3.

I had to remap that control as it keep putting me into crouch and causing a delay in rolling and running.

Any pointers on the best bosses/areas for getting summoned?

Have not been able to get summoned at all yet, and I prefer not to invade.

Malenia and Niall are probably the bosses where I got summoned most. Malenia you'll definitely get summoned, though you then have to put up with the host getting killed by her scarlet attack at the start of phase 2 and ruining all your effort.

Any tips for Godfrey in Leyndell lads? Finally gonna go back and try beat him as I want to progress that part of the story.

I fought him a few times before but his weapon attacks where **** me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Stay away from him, use your mimic tear to distract him and then just keep blasting him with foul breath, chunks his health right down. There's an NPC summon outside you can use as well, it's the same girl you talk to at sites of grace. I did this and beat him on the first attempt but maybe I got lucky. I found the previous fight against the big golden knight thing much harder.

• Advertisement

Cheers only seeing this now but beat himself and Morgott last night anyway. Onto the mountains!

Not sure I like this game. I just don't feel excited about turning my xbox on as I do with other games. I get a bit of time to play and there's a moment of excitement and then I remember ugh I'm playing Elden ring and have to fight all the same foes again and tackle some big boss over and over and over. Its just not fun. Also, where's this amazing story written by George RR Martin?? Let me guess, story gets good later on...

Have you played any of the other Soulsborne games? I am a fan in general and enjoying Elden Ring a lot but wouldn't say it will be my favourite.

Yeah DS3. I mean I can make progress but its very tedious and frustrating. I'm on Godrick now so not too far in, although I haven't put many hours into it due to limited game time.

I know I can beat him after enough attempts, but then I know its rinse and repeat, waves of foes, one hit killing mini bosses, lots of dying and then another big boss. I'm wondering where the fun in the game is. The big let down is I thought there was going to be some brilliant story to it. Its the opposite, very very weak. Im not even sure what the aim is. To find the Elden ring? And so what? I'm sure it was explained but it's in no way maintained or reinforced or progressed.

Martin seems to have given the bosses their "I'm going to kill you" lines before you fight them and the very rare interactions you have with merchants, sorcerers etc. But this is no Game of Thrones.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It's hard to see GRRM's influence on the story tbh. The story feels pretty on par with FromSoftware's other games. It is probably the best lore and world-building of all their games, but it's still presented in the FS way, where most of the history and links are in item descriptions, environmental storytelling etc, to the point where you only fully understand the story and implications of everything in the second playthrough.

It's very much a FS story with GRRM's touches, rather than a GRRM story in a FS game.

I still think the best description of FS's stories is how you defeat a random boss and with their dying breath they say "Forgive me, Zanzibart..." and you have no idea who they or Zanzibart are.

After about 90 hours and getting half way I started to feel the same way about this game. The exact same thing happened to me with Dark Souls 3. After a while it just starts to feel like work and the story is basically unfathomable unless you watch lore guides on youtube. Once you get up around lvl 100+ it's basically impossible to collect enough runes to level up by just playing the game normally so you have to go farming which is just repetitive and boring. Likewise the game gives you so little information about anything that I found myself constantly having to watch youtube vidoes just to figure out which random hidden doorway, ladder or rooftop jump I'm supposed to find to make forward progress and that kind of takes the fun out of the game for me as you lose the sense of exploration. Maybe if I had 50 or 60 hours a week to put into the game I could keep searching and retracing my steps but I don't have that kind of time. Now I find myself firing the game up once a week or so, make small bit of progress or just drop a coop sign, get sick of it after an hour or 2 and then go play something else. I'll never come close to finishing a playthrough but I knew that when I bought it. You have to love the grind to finish these games and I don't love the grind.

I had to grind to get to level 50 and make the game playable. I think I'm at a good level for where I am in the game, but I'm noticing the foes getting stronger already and can see the pattern where I'll have to go grinding again. And the amount of grinding you need to do increases as you go up the levels, this is just unbelievable levels of grinding.

I don't mind certain types of grind, materials for building for example. But this grind is just nasty. Kill a bunch of foes, go back to last checkpoint, kill them all again. As in the exact same again as if you reloaded and lost all your progress for the past 15 mins. And my god the pain when you die twice and lose all your runes is unreal. Like honest to God who calls that fun?!

I honestly had to do very little grinding in the game. For the most part I was always exploring and finding caves, catacombs and minibosses through the nearby environment and that would not only provide me with ample runes but also upgrade materials for weapons.

Maybe I'm just bad but I lose runes all the time when I play because there's so much BS in this game. Like you walk through a random doorway and surprise! it's a boss fight that you had no way of knowing was there and you're under levelled for it for so now you have 2 options. Spend hours trying to win the fight or say goodbye to the runes. Plus no matter your level most enemies, even big chunky ones that are like mini bosses give you at most 2k runes or a lot less. When I need 80k or 90k runes to level up once there's no way I'm managing to collect that many without specifically farming.

• Advertisement

If you're needing 80-90k runes to level up, you'd be around level 110 or so, at which case a lot of your runes are going to come from main bosses (late-game bosses can be 100-200k each), significant mini-bosses (dragons, erdtree guardians 60-100k each), and finding golden/hero/Lord runes which do become more numerous as you go on. But yeah, it sucks when you lose runes and die before getting them back. That said I do think it's far easier to get back your runes in Elden Ring than the equivalent in previous Souls games. It's easier to find sites of grace, fast travel, or just run the f*ck away, or if they're dropped in a boss arena, use your summon to distract the boss so you can pick up the runes.

Ultimately though, if you're not enjoying the game mechanics at this stage, I doubt anything in the late game is going to change that. Like I said, I never had to grind in the game, but I was exploring everything and probably recouped whatever runes I lost easily enough in just doing everything I could find.

Advertisement