Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Cassidy could have a point. 2019 Martin Reilly was having a good championship with Cavan. OMcFF wathced him like a hawk in the Ulster final and didn`t give him a smell. When they won Ulster in 2018 Gaoth Dobhair used him the same way, man-marking the most dangerous opposition forward. For me he was one of the main reasons for them winning Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Part of me wonders is that just part of a wider problem. In the Ulster final, to me it was always our backs who would turn the attacker back. Others were very much filling space and couldn't push back, perhaps just unsure of their role when back in defence. (While not an RG fan... everyone did know the plan when back). For the likes of McFF he can't man and zonal mark at the end of it, but his talents as a man marker was certainly clear a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why is that? Injury cleared up and not exactly like it’s the most taxing thing to play away to Fanad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If he was fit enough for that game he was surely fit enough to play some part in a knock out match the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah, so you’d have to ask why he didn’t play in it then so. He did wel last weekend too in America. Nothing wrong with his fitness it seems. Just looks like he wasn’t picked by Declan.

• Advertisement

That was my point.

Banty is available again. Maybe he will pick him.

As far as I read, Declan Bonner was to have met with Mick McGrath last week to discuss things. Haven't seen anything further on this.

Feels like he is staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The word I'm hearing, which I'm taking with a pinch of salt, is that Declan is definitely staying, but there's going to be changes with the backroom team.

So a sacrificial Rochford will be offered.

Looks like it, but apparently Declan didn't listen to him anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

5 seasons and no semi final. No Sam in Kerry your out after a few years. Mayo made the last 4 in all but two seasons in the last decade and both times the manager left, probably realising they have done what they could and it wasn't good enough. Granted they didn't get over the line but there is that expectation to be up there knocking on the door.

Is it just me or has Bonner a lack of awareness here if he is considering staying on and is our county board a bit of an embarrassment no. Seem to have a small minded culture where mediocre is acceptable (wouldn't/doesn't happen in the other big counties as mentioned). It's sad to say but Donegal will always underachieve while that culture is there where there isn't a demand to be the best from all the people with influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Not only is it scandalous that there is no change in manager but surely there needs to be a look at the orthodoxy in playing style permeating throughout all leagues in Donegal. We're destined to produce substandard inter county teams unless this is addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I have heard he is staying from fairly reliable sources.

Hard to believe he will go now - why would he draw it out. We'll see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He needs to go but it is incredibly poor form dragging it out this long if he is leaving.

Tough loss for the ladies but did not play well enough to win IMHO. Especially considering player advantage for 20 minutes.

That last free was BS. Don't know what the ref saw. The goal opportunity before that was huge and not really well enough executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I agree, nothing against the man but the team have not progressed in recent years. A new man at helm would bring a new perspective with fresh ideas on how to get the best out of the team. Id'e imagine moral in the panel is at a very low ebb just now & it would give the county some hope heading into 2023 with revamped management team in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

The say this process has been dragged out is disrespectful to supporters who deserve to know what direction our county team is heading in. But what I don't get is the way that local media are being treated as if they're hatchet merchants?

Declan didn't speak to anybody after the Armagh trimming. For God's sake it's not like Oisín Kelly is Jeremy Paxman. And what, do they think someone like Chris McNulty is going to stick the knife in? Donegals sports journos have treated this management with respect from the beginning, and it's often a bone with me that media won't call it as it is (especially following some of our bigger losses). Treating the local media like boogeymen is just further proof to me that they've lost the plot. And no media will be present tomorrow night either.

Do the right thing Declan...

• Advertisement

The fact that he's having a press conference after the meeting suggests that he is leaving. He's done his best & committed himself to the County over many years. Time for a new face.....I wonder who....?

My only wish is that people on social media stop touting the terrifying prospect of Banty taking over. It’s sending my stress levels through the roof

Seems like he is done alright.

Why now, I wonder.

There is a very odd comment in this on 'genuine supporters'

https://donegalnews.com/2022/07/donegal-gaa-confirm-bonner-departure/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You might want to sit down before reading this.

Half time during the Cavan game in Clones I spotted Banty and Maxi Curran having a chat outside the Gerry Arthur Stand.

Glad Declan made the decision to go. Besides the ins and outs of why he needed to go, it should be appreciated that he has given so much of his life as a player and manager to Donegal county football. That it didn`t work out as we all wished in the end is unfortunate, but that should not take away from all he has given. Wishing him and his family all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I know Declan. He was been a great servant for Donegal football. However, the team were not playing as though they believed in him. Or how they should play. More expertise and drive needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Best wishes to Declan and thanks for the sacrifice of time and energy.

Now it’s time for the nightly nightmare of Maxi appearing as the men’s manager. Of the names being thrown around, I believe Rory Kavanagh needs more experience. I have a sneaking suspicion that Martin McHugh will see it as the right time to throw his hat in the ring. Saying that, some of our finest players are past their best for whoever takes up the mantle and we’ve got a litany of issues needing fixed. Not exactly a dream opening.

He's some man if he knows most of the "genuine" supporters personally ?, bit of a strange one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

It was a very snide remark I thought. Between this and all of the yapping about Social Media "clowns" that need to "get a life" and have supposedly never kicked a ball in their life, it sounds a wee bit like his ego has been hurt.

It's a poor way for him to go out like that. Be magnanimous. I've never seen any other manager do as much cribbing about social media. If these people's opinions don't matter to you then why do you spend so much time talking about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

Bonner gave an awful lot of commitment & his efforts to the county over the last while. Think now was the right time to bow out though.

Who would be the new favourites to take the job now?

Advertisement